Trip Report-(Not Live) Regal Princess: Athens To Barcelona-"Our Totally Ruins Cruise"

JimmyVWine

Jimmy - superb report. Probably the best I have read in years.  

I also take a vicarious pride in the fact that your talented daughter decided to continue her education in Britain !

But - down to more prosaic matters !

How do you wash your personal wine glasses each night ?

Just a rinse in the cabin bathroom, or do you have a secret glass washing technique ?

And what do you do during the course of the evening when switching to a different wine ?  

5 minutes ago, wowzz said:

How do you wash your personal wine glasses each night ?

Just a rinse in the cabin bathroom, or do you have a secret glass washing technique ?

And what do you do during the course of the evening when switching to a different wine ?  

We travel with a very small travel size container of dishwashing liquid.  The smallest of drops is sufficient for three glasses.  And we have a rule that travels with us as well as is employed at home.  "You never wash a wine glass on the same evening that you have been drinking."  So each night we rinse the glass and leave an inch of water in it, and then the next morning we hand-wash them in the bathroom sink using a washcloth as the cleaning tool, and then give them a quick dry with a towel, allowing them to air dry the rest of the way.

During the evening we always have a glass of water nearby.  When switching wines, a quick swish with a small amount of water will do just fine.  You can either drink the rinse water, or pour it into an empty glass.  Whatever residual water is in the glass (and there really is very, very little) is not going to do any injustice to the new wine that makes its way into the glass.  Would I do this if I was switching from a Montrachet to a Petrus?  No.  But from one Princess wine to the next, sure.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

We travel with a very small travel size container of dishwashing liquid.  The smallest of drops is sufficient for three glasses.  And we have a rule that travels with us as well as is employed at home.  "You never wash a wine glass on the same evening that you have been drinking."  So each night we rinse the glass and leave an inch of water in it, and then the next morning we hand-wash them in the bathroom sink using a washcloth as the cleaning tool, and then give them a quick dry with a towel, allowing them to air dry the rest of the way.

During the evening we always have a glass of water nearby.  When switching wines, a quick swish with a small amount of water will do just fine.  You can either drink the rinse water, or pour it into an empty glass.  Whatever residual water is in the glass (and there really is very, very little) is not going to do any injustice to the new wine that makes its way into the glass.  Would I do this if I was switching from a Montrachet to a Petrus?  No.  But from one Princess wine to the next, sure.  

Thank you for your late night reply.

I was sure you would have a washing up protocol sorted out !

19 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

General Information About Dining on Board     

There was one thing that I forgot to address that I jotted down, and I hesitate to add this for fear of turning this thread in an entirely different direction, but in the interest of full disclosure and information, I offer the following:

As far as the MDR was concerned, (and we only went to one of them, Concerto), there was no evidence of any dress code being employed.  Men were let in while wearing shorts, even on formal night.  Collared shirts were not required.  Please, I beg you, do not turn this into a debate about whether this should be allowed.  I only offer my observation that it was allowed.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Day 4 in Kotor or “Lady of the Rocks and Rock Around the Clock”

Kotor, Montenegro is a place with which I was completely unfamiliar five years ago, and now I can say that I have been twice and enjoyed my visits immensely.  One of the prime features of a port stop here is that you get two great experiences rolled into one.  Maybe three depending on the time of year and how early of a riser you are.  For not only is the Medieval city a UNESCO gem worthy of your time and photography, but the sail in and out is like getting an extra “Scenic Cruising” day added in, much like one experiences on an Alaskan or Scandinavian cruise.  While geologically the Bay of Kotor is technically not a fjord, (my understanding is that geologically, the Bay is a “ria”) for all practical purposes the Bay presents in much the same way with stunning cliffs tightly enveloping calm, clean water.  Our arrival was scheduled for 7:00 a.m., and it takes a full 90 minutes for the ship to traverse from open water to its ultimate anchorage, meaning that those who wished to take in all the sights of the sail-in would have to wake with the roosters and observe the scenery in the faintest of morning light.  On my previous trip here we arrived in June when the days were their longest and the sail-in was bright enough to make the early alarm worth setting.  But for this trip we opted to rely on the glory of the sailaway and slept in with the curtains closed for the trip in.  A note on ship positioning.  The best scenery will be on the Port side sailing in, and the Starboard side sailing out.  As we had a Port-side cabin, we planned to grab seats on the Starboard side Promenade for the trip out. 

With the anchor secured and the announcement made that passengers were welcome to go ashore via tenders, we made our way to the International Café for a light breakfast and to collect our tender tickets.  (Only the smaller cruise ships can dock in Kotor, and PCL doesn’t really have any of those anymore.  Here is a photo of our fellow ship for the day, the Seabourn Encore which was allowed to pull up to the dock while we anchored in the bay.)

IMG_0174

The tender tickets were dispensed on Deck 6 at the Photography Shop.  Unlike day in Santorini where we made a point of being early to beat the cable car traffic, here in Kotor we were exploring on our own without much of a set agenda, so we were a bit later than many of the early birds.  I must admit that I miscalculated a bit and assumed that most of our fellow passengers would likewise make this a leisurely day and that there would be no rush to disembark between 7:00 and 8:00.  Perhaps it was due to the fact that our port stop would be brief with a 2:30 “Last Call” for tenders, but it turns out that after collecting our tender ticket in the “Electric Ell” group (note to Staff: employ a spell checker.  SV commented that our group was not aquatically themed, and instead was “Stranger Things” themed), we waited a full hour to be called to depart.  No big deal as we had planned on a self-guided walking tour of the walled city and lunch as our activities for the day.  As noted at the start, we had been to Kotor before on a longer port visit and hired a private tour guide for several hours to show us the area as we were completely unfamiliar with it at that time.  In the interest of completeness, I will describe a bit of what we did and say during that earlier trip so that people have a sense of what there is to do in Kotor.

Our tour included a drive to Perast, a lovely little town, from which one boards a very small boat out to “Our Lady of the Rocks” church. 

IMG_1233

IMG_1244

While out on the island church, we encountered a wedding, and it appears that grooms are allowed to wear shorts to their weddings.  Start a separate thread if you want to debate and discuss.  

IMG_1256

The tour also took us high up into the mountains for some spectacular views.

IMG_1302

From there we were treated to a guided walking tour of the Medieval walled city, and it was this last part that we hoped to repeat on our current visit.  The city is all about churches and architecture, so we opted to explore at a leisurely pace and just take in the beauty and grab some photos.  Unfortunately the weather was not up to par with our prior visit, with a mist and haze that filled most of the day until our sailaway.  This caused me to keep my camera gear safely secured for much of the time, but I was able to capture some of what we saw, both inside and out, but nearly as many photos as on our previous trip when the weather was great.  If you go and plan to enter one (or ten) of the many churches, do remember to dress appropriately.  We didn’t encounter any strict dress codes, but neither did we see anyone who was dressed questionably.  The weather was such that short shorts and bare shoulders would not have made much sense for the day.

IMG_0136

IMG_0137

IMG_0140

Tucked in one of the small squares in town is the old water well that used to supply 100% of the drinking water to the town.

IMG_0149

IMG_0171

IMG_0172

I had to get a shot of SV at her namesake Pizzeria.  She thought this was cheesy, (pun intended) and did so reluctantly, hence her strained expression.

IMG_0169

If you do choose to roam around the city, do yourself a favor and find an online map and perhaps a self-guided walking tour guide.  You really can cover this territory on your own, but at times the city seems like a corn maze.  But all streets and alleys eventually reconnect, and you’ll find yourself in a main square sure enough.  We tried to get lost and found it impossible.  Also, if you are a cat lover, this is the place for you.  Cats are everywhere and the locals take good care of the feral population.  You will find the “Cats of Kotor” on every t-shirt, Christmas ornament, scarf, coffee mug, etc. throughout every shop in town.

With the walking part checked off, it was time for lunch and a return visit to the coffee/pastry shop that our guide had recommended years ago.  We assumed that in a city that had not changed much in 500 years, we could safely find a place we had visited 5 years earlier.  My research directed me to a particular restaurant in a back corner of town, and we arrived just before noon.  Unfortunately the man wiping down the outdoor tables advised us that they would not open until 12:30.  We didn’t feel like waiting that long, and with a last tender at 2:30, we decided to find a different option.  After a quick visit to the TripAdvisor app on my phone, I found a place nearby that was fairly highly rated that served regional food.  We weren’t going to go back to SV’s Pizzeria.  We had a lovely lunch at a restaurant called “Luna Rossa” within the Hotel Montecristo.  Ordinarily I would shy away from hotel restaurants, but here at the Montecristo we were treated more like Counts than cigars.  The charming and Medieval architecture and décor added to the ambiance, though the music playlist brought things down a notch.  Not sure who they think their audience is, but the entire playlist consisted of Chubby Checker, Bobby Darin, Chuck Berry, Little Richard and Bill Haley.  Nothing says “This is Kotor” more than listening to “Rock Around the Clock” while dining on local seafood.  We were able to laugh it off and enjoy or food and wine.  Yes, wine.  On our prior visit our guide made a recommendation of a local wine that we bought, brought back to the ship and enjoyed at Sabatini’s.  Lo and behold, Luna Rossa had the same wine, only in a more recent vintage.

kotor.jpg

Don’t ask me to pronounce any of that.  But if you see this on a wine list in Montenegro, just point and nod and you will be drinking a very good bottle of wine.  I think the cost was around 27E.

After lunch and some final shopping we ended out day in Kotor at Café Forza, the pastry and coffee shop that we had been to five years earlier.  I can’t say that this is some sort of “secret find”, as it is very large and occupies a prominent spot in the main square.  Can’t miss it.  But sometimes places are big and crowded because they deserve to be, and that is how we view Forza.  Sweet tooth and caffeine needs sated, we tendered back to the ship, collected one of our bottles of Whispering Angel, our wine glasses and a couple of towels and headed to the Starboard side Promenade chairs to stake out a place for sailaway.  The weather started to improve a bit, and we enjoyed a lovely sailaway with great scenery through the ria that is the Bay of Kotor.

IMG_0179

IMG_0183

IMG_0190

IMG_0206

IMG_0211

IMG_0218

Ship activities to be discussed in a follow-up post.

Edited by JimmyVWine
  • Like 4

21 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

General Information About Dining on Board     

We’re still on our Sea Day, so I’ll chime in here with some thoughts about dining.  In general, the food on this cruise was up to par with prior cruises.  Yes, there was lobster (on the Dress to Impress Night) and yes, my table captain offered me extra lobster tails and I obliged until I got the side-eye from KV. There was escargot.  There was Fettuccini Alfredo on the Princess Favorites menu.  My all-time favorite dessert was offered, (the chocolate hazelnut bar that my family calls the Viking ship.)  Norman Love’s name has more or less been purged from the menu (though I think I saw it on the Sabatini’s menu in relation to the chocolate overload dessert there), but his influence remains strong.  But there were some differences, some subtle and some not, that deserve mention.  No one thing that was infuriating.  But enough to realize that changes are afoot, and not in the best of directions.  For example, I previously mentioned the absence of the truffle pizza in Alfredo’s.  Also, we found the morning pastry offerings in the International Café to be well below what we were used to.  Not a single crème-filled donut to be had, at least when we were there.  The sweets in the afternoon were less plentiful in variety, not in volume.  It just seemed as if the number of choices had decreased.

The Pub Lunch was mentioned in the Patter, and is served in the Horizon Court.  In essence, it is simply a station in the buffet where you can find what would otherwise had been served in a sit down dining venue. So yes, the fish and chips and bangers and mash and mushy peas are on the ship.  You just have to go up to the buffet to get them and the ambience is just different. 

The entrees in the MDR were what we have grown accustomed to.  I did not walk out of any meal in the MDR bemoaning that things have gone downhill.  Indeed, the red meats in the MDR were quite good.  We are a “sharing” family and try to order three different things for dinner and then all taste each other’s food, so I tried a good cross-section of options.  (Except on escargot day when we all order that like lemmings.)

We used our Specialty Dining credit at Sabatini’s.  We aren’t really “steakhouse” people and have always enjoyed the variety of courses at Sabatini’s.  I have to say that our meal there was perfectly fine until it was time for the main courses, and there the menu fell flat.  Back in the day, you used to be able to get a Veal Chop.  And then that changed to a Rack of Veal.  And then it changed to Veal Marsala.  This in and of itself is a huge downgrade over time, and I must say that the quality of my veal was not even as good as the food I was getting in the MDR.  Still, by the time the mains come, we have had so much food that this misstep isn’t the worst thing in the world.  We just enjoy the atmosphere and the rest of the menu enough to keep going back.  But for the record, the Proscuitto Wrapped Pork Tenderloin is the winning dish on that menu right now.

We used the Horizon Court exclusively for late breakfasts/lunches (on Sea Days and in Messina where we did not dock until noon) and never for dinner.  We did get trapped a couple of times between meals where were late for breakfast but too early for lunch.  One day they had an area roped off while they made the changeover and I was anxiously awaiting the reopening as I much prefer lunch to breakfast.  If you have ever been to Disney World and arrived before park opening, you know that that is known as arriving in time for “Rope Drop”.  Well, as we sat at our table right near the strapped off area waiting for the area to reopen, SV commented to me that I was waiting for “Lunch Rope Drop” at a cruise ship buffet and that that was a sign that I needed an intervention.

On balance the food at the buffet was fine, but nothing to get excited about.  I have said before and will say again, if you think that the food at the Horizon Court is the best food you have ever had, you need to get out more and experience what “good” really is.  And if you think that the food at the Horizon Court is the worst food you have ever had, then you need to get out more and experience what “bad” food really is.  There was theming each night, and the offerings were varied.  I was actually impressed with the quality of the salad greens and had more than a few salads up there.  As was the case with the IC, we thought that the pastries in the Pastry Shop up top were not as varied or frankly as good as what we have had in the past.  Each “sugar free” dessert we tried seemed to be “flavor free”, and there was just an overall lack of chocolate for our liking.  To me, if a dessert doesn’t have chocolate in it, what’s the point?  Yes, I understand the need for variety, but there were times when you could go to the IC or the Pastry Shop and not find a single item that contained chocolate.  That seemed odd to me.

The Trident Grill is another place where we found that variety had been scaled back.  In past cruises there have been themes there as well, with the ability to get far more than just hot dogs and cheeseburgers.  But on this cruise, that seemed to be pretty much it.  If there were more options available, we missed them.

All in all we were satisfied.  I think that the MDR won for best performance by a dining venue and none of the things that were missing broke our spirits (except for the crème-filled donuts.)  This was a port intensive cruise where we did a fair amount of dining in shoreside restaurants, so we didn’t need to be overly impressed with the food on the ship.  But since all of our dinners were taken on the ship, it was good to see that the MDR provided everything that we asked for or needed.  Very good food, excellent service and a fun time each night.  Add in a couple meals at Alfredo’s and one night at Sabatini’s and I have nothing to complain about.  I’ll miss some of the things I am used to that have disappeared, but I will enjoy finding other things to replace those, I trust.

Happy to answer any questions about dining on the ship.  Next up, our visit to Kotor.      

As someone else on the same ship using the same DR, I agree and disagree with some of the above, so offer some comments from my perspective.

No comment on dining options not used.

Horizon.  In general, probably similar quality to pre-Covid.  But, less choices and options in general.  Some dishes and hot meats were just fine, but some meats were over-cooked.  There was variations in availability of items over the 3+ weeks.  Generally, we used Horizon for lunch type items and once or twice for breakfast when DR was not open early enough for us to eat and get off the ship in time for our private tour.  Dessert items seemed uninspiring.  The cookies are nowhere near what they used to be - and all they had on offer was an oatmeal and a chocolate (not true choc chip).

IC.  Seemed to have the same items every day, with few changes.  I liked the Cuban panini type sandwich well enough.  Same cookies as Horizon.  

DR - Breakfast.  This was pretty much as prior experiences.  They rarely had papaya (one segment only pretty much).  Pineapple was usually very good.  Bananas were almost always in good condition.  Muesli was quite good (but hard to get in Horizon at first).  Egg options were good.  Sometimes a long wait for the main, unless asking for quicker service. 

DR - Lunch.  I think only there a couple of times, including the original embarkation lunch (for the other segments, we were gone ashore for the day).  No real complaints, but rarely used.

Alfredo's - Lunch.  We went there a couple of times and I'd say it was about as good as before.  Jimmy mentioned a pizza choice gone now, but it wouldn't have been a choice of ours.

DR - Dinner.  Our general impression is a reduction in quality of ingredients.  I did find various items over-cooked, but that is likely galley-specific to this ship.  I agree with other posters in various threads that the quality of beef has gone down and this extends to the CG as well.  We were never too bothered if a serving seemed small as you can ask for more with no extra charge.  We usually ordered additional side vegetables.

Sabi's - Dinner.  I had pork tenderloin dish one visit and, although tasty, was over-cooked.  I had the veal dish the other time and it was close to "melt in the mouth", so quite tender and good.  Both times, I had the "chef special" dessert which is small servings of everything.

CG - Dinner.  I had beef tenderloin, veal chop and NY strip across three visits.  It was my first time ever trying the NY strip.  It was okay, but not out of this world great meat.  I have had the veal chop once before in CG and long ago I cannot really compare.  This veal chop was fairly good.  BTW, I like a nice sauce with a grilled steak or chop and they don't do that by habit - you have to ask.  All other past visits to CG have been to have the beef tenderloin.  This time the meat was not up to what it used to be.  It was correctly cooked to order.  My wife had the lobster all three times.  If I was having it, I'd have to spend an extra $10 to have enough, whereas the steaks are all on the weighty side.  The new dessert choices were good.  The CG no longer has an offering of small portions of all desserts.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

There was one thing that I forgot to address that I jotted down, and I hesitate to add this for fear of turning this thread in an entirely different direction, but in the interest of full disclosure and information, I offer the following:

As far as the MDR was concerned, (and we only went to one of them, Concerto), there was no evidence of any dress code being employed.  Men were let in while wearing shorts, even on formal night.  Collared shirts were not required.  Please, I beg you, do not turn this into a debate about whether this should be allowed.  I only offer my observation that it was allowed.  

In same DR, I'd have to say, I didn't see the shorts, but of course if sitting in different areas, the observations are going to be different.  Where we were for most of the voyage days, did not offer a good view of the traffic.  We also rotate seats each night, so facing different directions, including out the window.  But it was clear that there was little policing of dress and we never saw anything really off-key.  I was a little surprised at how many were formally dressed (I include suits, or suit jackets in this).  You'd have a hard time finding many tuxes.  No real definition or distinction for DTI versus Formal.  For me, it was all pretty similar to our last experience in Europe in summer 2019.

And I am with Jimmy - not looking to start a clothing discussion, but reporting limited observations.  They had photo ops setup most nights, so didn't matter if you wanted casual or other dress for photos.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

(1) In same DR, I'd have to say, I didn't see the shorts,

(2) I was a little surprised at how many were formally dressed (I include suits, or suit jackets in this). 

On point one, we saw one person on one day, and one person on the first Formal Night.  This does not make a "trend", but it answers the question as to whether it was permitted.

On point two, I forgot to discuss this, but I agree 100%.  Take the one guy with shorts out of the equation and the dress on Formal Night was way more formal than I would have predicted.  Pure guesswork here based only on what we could observe in the 90 minutes we were in the MDR, but I would say for men it was:

Tuxes: 3%

Suit or Blazer with Tie:  60%

Blazer without Tie: 20%

Collared Shirt with Tie" 12%

Other: 5%

20 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

On point one, we saw one person on one day, and one person on the first Formal Night.  This does not make a "trend", but it answers the question as to whether it was permitted.

On point two, I forgot to discuss this, but I agree 100%.  Take the one guy with shorts out of the equation and the dress on Formal Night was way more formal than I would have predicted.  Pure guesswork here based only on what we could observe in the 90 minutes we were in the MDR, but I would say for men it was:

Tuxes: 3%

Suit or Blazer with Tie:  60%

Blazer without Tie: 20%

Collared Shirt with Tie" 12%

Other: 5%

Maybe.  I guess myself and the other guy in our couples group of 4 were in the 5%.  Anyway, it's all good and Princess continues to have flexibility in what people want to do.  Unfortunately, it causes a lot of consternation for people who read the unchanged Princess FAQ's and wonder how true it is.  One thing that has changed is they no longer reproduce the Clothing Recommendation details in the Patter and basically have a one-liner for Formal and DTI nights.  Of course, the Patter has shrunk to two pages from four now and you have to use the App to find out any details for events, such as what an entertainer is doing, so they probably didn't have room to detail it out. 

Day 4 in Kotor (Part 2) or “The Case of the Missing Jalapeño”

As noted above, our port stay in Kotor was relatively brief, with a 3:00 sailaway that had us out on the Promenade until around 4:30.  This allowed for a fair amount of time to enjoy the ship for the balance of the day, and this was also to be our night to dine in Sabatini’s.  So this seems like a good place to provide a somewhat consolidated summary of onboard activities and entertainment.  SV and her friends in Edinburgh are big fans of what she calls “Pub Trivia”.  That  may or may not be the official and recognized title of the event, but when she tells me that she is going out for Pub Trivia, I know what she is talking about.  They head out to a local pub where some third-party vendor conducts a trivia night, and much drinking and frivolity ensues, with some teams taking the event far more seriously than others.  Sound familiar?  So when time and scheduling allowed, which was mostly late afternoons, we made out way to the Vista Lounge for shipboard trivia, and we were able to do so after our Kotor sailaway.  In all, I think we participate in three trivia events, coming in second place twice and third place once.  The only thing standing between us and some craptastic prize on this day was our failure to appreciate that it is the koala that has fingerprints that most closely resemble those of humans.

Most of the rest of our nightly entertainment came in the form of choosing between, or rotating between various lounges where we could enjoy music at a volume that would allow us to converse, and put the Plus Package through its paces.  The time and distance between KV and I on the one side of the pond, and SV on the other, for such an extended period of lockdown and travel restrictions made it such that reconnecting, and conversing was a much higher priority than absorbing all of the entertainment on board.  Generally speaking, I offer the following observations and opinions.  First, I don’t love the fact that the Piazza is used as a featured music and entertainment venue.  When it is in use, it puts Crooners out of commission, as they cannot be employed at the same time, and given the choice, I would much prefer the atmosphere of Crooners to the cacophonous sounds of the entertainers in the Piazza.  Don’t get me wrong, many of the performers were terrific.  But most of the time when a 5-piece band would play R&B in the Piazza, the Vista Lounge was unused.  I am not at all sure why it wouldn’t be a better idea to put the R&B Band in the Vista Lounge so that a more mellow vocalist could perform in Crooners.  It just seems to me that the Vista Lounge was purpose-built for this type of entertainment whereas squeezing the band into the Piazza seemed forced, loud and disruptive of other venues.  All the shops, plus Crooners, plus Alfredo’s, plus frankly, the first third of the two MDRs were overwhelmed by the bands.

But as noted, at least the R&B Band (“Project 5”) was good.  Best Whitney Houston cover I have heard from a cruise ship band, by a wide margin.  One of the other Piazza performers was (in the humble opinion of our group of three) a complete train wreck, and that was the “Versatile Entertainer, Victor Rossi”.  Seems that his versatility rested in his ability to annoy us in many, many different ways.  SV’s assessment of the guy is that he is a mime who never learned the single most important feature of being a mime.  Silence!  When he pranced around the Piazza, we simply had to find solace elsewhere.

The performers who called Crooners and the Wheelhouse home were Violinist Olesya; Pianist Antoni; Piano and Vocal Entertainer Tommy McPhee and Guitar/Vocalist James Naldo.  The other Party Band that played in the Piazza and out on deck (and once in the Vista Lounge) was the Sunset Quartet.  All of these acts were pleasing and talented, though we thought that James Naldo was in desperate need of additional material.  Seems as if he did the same set over and over and over again.  Tommy McPhee seemed to have a rather wide range, and we had no difficulty catching his act more than once. 

Gary Golding was our Cruise Director, and this was our first cruise with him on board.  (Or maybe better said, this was his first cruise with us on board.)  We enjoyed his personality and the way he organized events and his staff.  The Assistant CD was Natalie (didn’t catch her last name) and she too was vibrant and entertaining.  Beyond our experiences with trivia, we always enjoy the Game Shows that are conducted in Princess Live, such as Majority Rules, and try to make those as best we can.  I will say, and this is our own fault, that with our preferred dinner time of 7:20, we were often unable to make it to events that started at 9:00.  We could if we made a point of it.  But otherwise we seemed just a bit behind the curve.  No worries, though, as we were always able to find a good seat at Crooners or the Wheelhouse to continue our evening of conversing, drinking, and listening to music.  With one drink order at the Wheelhouse, SVB ordered a Spicy Margarita and I ordered a Mai Tai.  While sipping our drinks, I asked her how hers was, and she commented that there really wasn't any spice to it.  She asked me how my drink was, and I mentioned that it had somewhat of an off taste that I just could not place.  A few minutes later I sipped something through my straw that I knew was not supposed to be in a Mai Tai and came to conclude that it was a jalapeno seed. Upon closer inspection I confirmed that indeed, there was a muddled jalapeño in my drink.  The bartender put SV's pepper in my Mai Tai.  We laughed and the server quickly replaced our drinks.

We did go to Club 6 one night for a late night of fun, though SV thought that the venue closed its bar too early and that no self-respecting Club should ever shut down before or at midnight.  I suppose her opinion counts more here than mine, but on balance, she said that she preferred Skywalkers on the Grand Class ships to the Club 6 venue, though she conceded that Skywalker’s was often sparsely populated given its total square footage and perhaps the more cramped quarters of Club 6 might actually create more of a pulsating vibe. 

We didn’t attend any of the big stage shows, other than to see the late performance of a comedian on our last night.  None of us are gamblers, but KV did take SV into the casino for a moment to show her around, and they spend a buck on some game with a claw that attempts to pick up prizes.  It’s probably greased to the point of impossibility.   

That about covers my assessment of the entertainment.  Happy to answer any questions.  Coming up is our day in Messina/Sicily.   

Edited by JimmyVWine
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

First, I don’t love the fact that the Piazza is used as a featured music and entertainment venue.  When it is in use, it puts Crooners out of commission, as they cannot be employed at the same time, and given the choice, I would much prefer the atmosphere of Crooners to the cacophonous sounds of the entertainers in the Piazza.  Don’t get me wrong, many of the performers were terrific.  But most of the time when a 5-piece band would play R&B in the Piazza, the Vista Lounge was unused.  I am not at all sure why it wouldn’t be a better idea to put the R&B Band in the Vista Lounge so that a more mellow vocalist could perform in Crooners.  It just seems to me that the Vista Lounge was purpose-built for this type of entertainment whereas squeezing the band into the Piazza seemed forced, loud and disruptive of other venues.  All the shops, plus Crooners, plus Alfredo’s, plus frankly, the first third of the two MDRs were overwhelmed by the bands.

125% agree with you.  This was the brainy idea of one Martyn Moss on the Regal about 3 years and a bit ago.  The observation was that hardly anyone attended events in the Vista Lounge.  (Well, I beg to differ since it depends on what the entertainment is).  The idea was - and is - that having key party entertainment in the Piazza results in lots of people attending on various levels.  But I wonder how many are "attending" versus "trapped".  For example, the comedians on board were given Night 1 in the theater and (only one) other performance at end of voyage in the Vista and was well-attended. 

Aside - why did we have only one comedian per voyage and then only perform 2x?

The two big problems are the fact that the Piazza and Atrium area were not built for sound like that and the young guys running the electronics generally pound out the volume to near deafening levels.  The sound was so loud for some of the bands that we ended up moving out of our Emerald Deck Inside cabin, but had to wait until the OCT 15 segment due to no cabins available.  Now, my bad for selecting the location as I was well aware of this shift in entertainment venues.  That said, we had no issues in an Emerald Balcony cabin, so the sound is mostly muted for the outside areas, but not the inside above the Piazza.  Never selecting there again, although the location is very handy.

Project 5 came on board OCT 08 or so, I think.  They have been on Princess pre-Covid and I like the band.  But the pounding drum was just a lot.  For sure, they could have them in Vista (and I think they were the odd time), but the tech's could just as easily render that room overly loud. 

It really does seem a shame to drown out other locations in the vicinity of the Atrium in order to have a loud party atmosphere at times. 

PS - I spoke to Gary one evening about it when I bumped into him late outside the Casino trying to manage a drunk fellow.  (Spoke to him after he was done).  He was all sympathetic and took notes and said he'd do something about the high volume, but of course nothing was done and I just put my comments in the post-cruise survey about the volume.  I don't think I am a party-pooper, but it was just over-the-top many times - even in the daytime at times.  Why can't we have a pianist or a nice string group in the Piazza in the afternoon for relaxing and not have big noise almost all the time?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

and basically have a one-liner for Formal and DTI nights.

what is the difference in 'Formal' and 'Dress to Impress'?

on our thanksgiving cruise - the Travel Summary states 1 'Formal' night - but on the "app" - it shows

"Dress to Impress Portrait" - on the first sea day, normally 'formal night'

3 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

125% agree with you.  This was the brainy idea of one Martyn Moss on the Regal about 3 years and a bit ago.  The observation was that hardly anyone attended events in the Vista Lounge.  (Well, I beg to differ since it depends on what the entertainment is).  The idea was - and is - that having key party entertainment in the Piazza results in lots of people attending on various levels.  But I wonder how many are "attending" versus "trapped".  For example, the comedians on board were given Night 1 in the theater and (only one) other performance at end of voyage in the Vista and was well-attended. 

Aside - why did we have only one comedian per voyage and then only perform 2x?

The two big problems are the fact that the Piazza and Atrium area were not built for sound like that and the young guys running the electronics generally pound out the volume to near deafening levels.  The sound was so loud for some of the bands that we ended up moving out of our Emerald Deck Inside cabin, but had to wait until the OCT 15 segment due to no cabins available.  Now, my bad for selecting the location as I was well aware of this shift in entertainment venues.  That said, we had no issues in an Emerald Balcony cabin, so the sound is mostly muted for the outside areas, but not the inside above the Piazza.  Never selecting there again, although the location is very handy.

Project 5 came on board OCT 08 or so, I think.  They have been on Princess pre-Covid and I like the band.  But the pounding drum was just a lot.  For sure, they could have them in Vista (and I think they were the odd time), but the tech's could just as easily render that room overly loud. 

It really does seem a shame to drown out other locations in the vicinity of the Atrium in order to have a loud party atmosphere at times. 

PS - I spoke to Gary one evening about it when I bumped into him late outside the Casino trying to manage a drunk fellow.  (Spoke to him after he was done).  He was all sympathetic and took notes and said he'd do something about the high volume, but of course nothing was done and I just put my comments in the post-cruise survey about the volume.  I don't think I am a party-pooper, but it was just over-the-top many times - even in the daytime at times.  Why can't we have a pianist or a nice string group in the Piazza in the afternoon for relaxing and not have big noise almost all the time?

I was on the third Royal Princess cruise ever, when it was the only Royal Class ship, and identified that using the Piazza the way they were was going to ruin Crooners. I guess that’s another reason we can tolerate the Majestic…they just removed Crooners altogether (though have a similar use of the lounge next to the casino).

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, voljeep said:

what is the difference in 'Formal' and 'Dress to Impress'?

on our thanksgiving cruise - the Travel Summary states 1 'Formal' night - but on the "app" - it shows

"Dress to Impress Portrait" - on the first sea day, normally 'formal night'

No real visible difference.  You'd think I could tell you if the wait staff dressed formally both nights or not, but I don't recall.  Perhaps @JimmyVWine noticed better than I.  In terms of the guests, no real difference as I mentioned.  It's difficult to know what Princess is doing with the DTI other than a slow shift away from a designated Formal Night.  Perhaps they are looking to observe any guest differences if they re-badge it?  IMO, those that bring and wear more formal attire are going to put the duds on for both nights.  I went with the same LS shirt and dress-style pants each of those nights.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

No real visible difference.  You'd think I could tell you if the wait staff dressed formally both nights or not, but I don't recall.  Perhaps @JimmyVWine noticed better than I.  In terms of the guests, no real difference as I mentioned.  It's difficult to know what Princess is doing with the DTI other than a slow shift away from a designated Formal Night.  Perhaps they are looking to observe any guest differences if they re-badge it?  IMO, those that bring and wear more formal attire are going to put the duds on for both nights.  I went with the same LS shirt and dress-style pants each of those nights.

The MDR Staff was in their tuxedo-style attire on FN and wore vests on the DTI night.  I have no inside information but I suspect that this is a slow evolution away from the use of the word "Formal" altogether.  As noted in the quoted post, people are going to "wear if if you brought it".  As much complaining as people do here about having to pack bulky clothes, and the cost of checking bags on airlines, I think it is safe to say that on a cruise with one FN and one DTI night, gentleman are not going to pack two entirely different suited combinations.  Barring some wardrobe malfunction or unfixable spillage, whatever suit or blazer was worn on the FN will be recycled on the DTI night.  As far as KV and SV were concerned, I advised them that the traditional "two Formal Nights" that they were accustomed to was now advertised as one FN and one DTI night.  To the extent discernable, they wore their "more formal" of their two outfits on the FN, though I'd be hard-pressed to draw a distinction. They both looked fabulous both nights and turned heads!  As for me, same blazer, same shoes, same slacks, different shirt and tie combo, neither of which I would hold out as being more formal than the other.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

We were on Regal for two weeks this summer. 

First formal night, I wore a DJ,  as did quite a few others. Then there was a DTI night. I wore a DJ again(a different one - just showing off !) . But I was very much in the minority. 

Second week,  DJ again for the formal night,  but for the DTI night I wore a dress shirt as opposed to a polo shirt/casual shirt.

To be frank, I don't see the point of a DTI night and a formal night. The distinction between the two is so blurred as to be negligible.  Just have two DTI nights, where people hopefully make a bit of an effort (although that might be a stretch for some I saw on our cruise !), I can still wear a DJ if I wish, and do away with formal night altogether.  

• Like 2

In an odd, ironic reversal, October 12, the original Columbus Day, our family of Americans, two with Italian blood and one who married in, descended upon the shores of Italy.  I doubt that anyone in Italy will want to declare a holiday in honor of our arrival, but that’s OK.  Our ship would not dock until noon, so we used the time in the morning to have a late breakfast/early lunch as this would be our only real meal until dinner.  (This was to be the day when “Lunch Rope Drop” became a thing.)  Our activity for the day would be a Princess Excursion called “In The Steps of the Godfather” and we were to meet in Princess Live at 12:30 to start the adventure.  Typically, (and by that I mean 9 times out of 10), our little group prefers to explore ports and nearby attractions on our own, but as part of my planning, I always scour the ship-offered excursions as those will give you great insight as to what the “can’t miss” attractions and activities are in the area.  The problem I find with the organized excursions is that they often spend half as much time at the places I want to dive into, so that they can reserve time for trips to ceramics shops, basket weavers and Duty-Free Shopping.  But here in Sicily, there was one thing in particular that I wanted to see, so I checked the excursion listing to see if perhaps my goal would be achievable.

Not too far from the port of Messina, tucked into the hills of the countryside sits a small village called Savoca.  And in the center of that town sits a tavern, or bar whose name is near and dear to my family, and which was featured prominently in the original Godfather movie.  It was here that Michael Corleone, while hiding out in Sicily,  introduced himself to the father of the woman whose affections Michael wished to reciprocate. “I'm an American hiding in Sicily. My name is Michael Corleone. There are people who'd pay a lot of money for that information, but then your daughter would lose a father instead of gaining a husband.”  I know a number of people who have been to this bar and each has presented me with a photo, and one of my younger brothers has a water color painting of the bar in his kitchen.  If I was going to be this close to the establishment, there was no way that I was going to miss going there and introducing myself to the owner.  So just to get my bearings, I checked to see if there was an excursion to Savoca, because if there was, then that meant that I could probably get there on my own as well.  And yes, such an excursion did in fact exist.  Long story short, after much research, I concluded that the easiest, safest, and most sure way of making my pilgrimage to Savoca would be to book the Princess excursion.  They made me an offer I couldn’t refuse.  Far easier and no more costly than if I tried to hire a private driver for the day.  So off to Princess Live we went, and were soon in Bus #6 making our way through Messina, along the shoreline, and then into the mountains to the village of Savoca.

Along the way we received some informative commentary from Gracia, our guide for the day, and were treated to an adventurous drive in a bus on a road with neither built with the other in mind.  Once in town, we enjoyed a walking tour in the village that Francis Ford Coppola used as the stand-in for the real Corleone, Sicily and in turn, the village has chosen to honor the famed director with a modest piece of art that immodestly holds sway in the center of town. 

IMG_0229

IMG_0233

IMG_0252

IMG_0231

IMG_0223

We strolled the streets up (and up, and up), through the town’s medieval walls, to the town’s main church which served as the scene for Michael and Apollonia’s wedding and reception.

IMG_0232

IMG_0249

IMG_0245

Along the way stopped to admire a wonderful terracotta mural.  And as Gracia was explaining the meaning and symbolism of the mural, in what I choose to believe was a moment of pure serendipity, the artist who created it, Enico Salemi Scarcella, walked by, overheard the conversation, and took a few minutes to offer his insights as well.

IMG_0234

IMG_0237

IMG_0244

IMG_0242

After our return down the hill back to the village center, we had time on our own, which we knew we would use to photograph and drink at Bar Vitelli, sit where Al Pacino sat (they have left that area in the exact condition as is seen in the film), and introduce ourselves to the owner.  We were able to spend a nice half hour there before it was time to head back to the bus to make our way to the next stop on the tour.

IMG_0253

IMG_0266

IMG_0259

IMG_0263

IMG_0282

Back on the bus, we descended the same winding road we arrived on, and made our way up another twisting goat path to the excursion’s second town of interest, Forza d’Agro.  Now, trying to be faithful to the name of the excursion, this second town had to have had some connection to the filming of the Godfather franchise.  But no one could quite figure out what that was.  As Gracia explained, this village was in fact used as a filming location for Godfather III when Michael takes his family back to their homeland.  But there are two problems with this.  First and foremost, Godfather III is a terrible movie. It is to the Godfather franchise what Jar Jar Binks is to the Star Wars franchise.  Each should be stricken from the franchise canon.  Or fired from a cannon.  Second, Gracia was almost apologetic as she explained that the buildings and churches she was taking us to weren’t really visible in the movie, or were barely in the background, or appeared for a frame or two.  So while the town was picturesque and worthy of a visit, trying to sell it as being a part of the Godfather franchise was dubious at best.  Still, we were here, and the churches we visited were far older than anything seen in the New World.  And seeing how we were here on Columbus Day, it seemed only fitting to pay our respects to some churches that dated back to that era.  Indeed, the alter shown below was built right around 1492 and is original, at least according to our guide.  And the rest of the town was quite nice, and I can see why it would be chosen as the backdrop of a movie filmed on location, even if most of the footage of the town’s buildings was left on the cutting room floor.

IMG_0285

IMG_0301

IMG_0305

IMG_0294

IMG_0287

IMG_0288

IMG_0298

We ended our stay with a refreshing local beer at a bar with outdoor seating an the center of town.

IMG_0307

Then we headed back to the bus for an 80 minute ride back to the port, with most of that drive hugging the Sicilian coast with some lovely scenery.  Back on board, we cleaned ourselves up for dinner, had a glass of “above-the-Plus-limit” wine at Vines, and headed straight to our reserved table in Concerto with a raised glass salute to the hostess as we walked past the podium at exactly 7:30.  After dinner, we rinsed and repeated our evening routine, having cocktails at Bellini’s, Crooners and the Wheelhouse, though not necessarily in that order.  We went wherever the music was, using Bellini’s as our home base when the (loud) music was centered in the Piazza, and the other two bars when performers were appearing there. 

Happy to answer any questions that anyone might have.  Next up, more ruins!

Edited by JimmyVWine
  • Like 1

We were on the Regal in Sept. for 21 days and SO agree with you about entertainment in the Piazza. Our favorite bar was Good Spirits at Sea, but the noise from the Piazza often ruined this one for us as well. And we REALLY agree, too, about Victor Rossi! If we walked by and he was "performing", we made sure to go far, far away. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, konatyme said:

And we REALLY agree, too, about Victor Rossi! If we walked by and he was "performing", we made sure to go far, far away.

I want to meet the person who hired him to be on the ship, rip that person's arm off and beat them about the head and shoulders with the bloody stump.  We really wished that we could have done the full 21 days, or at least 14.  But work schedules wouldn't allow.  And our cats would have killed us in our sleep upon our return.  As it was, 12 days away caused quite a battle for us upon our return.

• Like 2

On 10/26/2022 at 5:38 PM, JimmyVWine said:

Don’t ask me to pronounce any of that.  But if you see this on a wine list in Montenegro, just point and nod and you will be drinking a very good bottle of wine.  I think the cost was around 27E.

We were in Kotor today (onboard the Regal) and we purchased this wine in the local market for 13.50 euros.  We drank it tonight at dinner and it was excellent!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, LACruiser88 said:

We were in Kotor today (onboard the Regal) and we purchased this wine in the local market for 13.50 euros.  We drank it tonight at dinner and it was excellent!

So my memory of it being 27E in the restaurant seems about right.  Glad you enjoyed it as much as we did!

• Like 1