Labadee safe?

jsf

I see the other day that both the US and Canada have sent armored police cars to help  Haiti  with gang problems, are we safe going again? How is the Labadee area protected from crime?

There are several threads on this, it comes up pretty often. Labadee is nowhere near Port Au Prince, which is where all the unrest happens.  It is a very long drive between the two.  Royal's area is a secured compound in an area where there's not much else.   

image.thumb.png.4c495bee867b70a7607b86a83d6ab880.png

• Like 1

Labadee is walled off w/ armed security, from the rest of Haiti and more than 5 hours from the capital city. Labadee is basically on private island on an outcrop of land. 

You probably shouldn't read Haiti news to judge Labadee as they are completely separate worlds.

• Like 6

I've been there a few times without issue.  That's about all I can say other than Haiti has, for a long long time (decades) been in political and economic chaos.  Take it for what it's worth!  I'd go back, I think I'd look forward to going back more than going to Coco Cay.    

Edited by Ret MP

1 hour ago, jsf said:

I see the other day that both the US and Canada have sent armored police cars to help  Haiti  with gang problems, are we safe going again? How is the Labadee area protected from crime?

We (the USA) is the protector of the Caribbean. So sending supplies is nothing new.  Everyplace you go, may or may not be as safe as your home.  Depends on what news source you read.  

So, stop listening to the news, go on the cruise to Labadee and enjoy it!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, robmtx said:

Labadee is walled off w/ armed security, from the rest of Haiti and more than 5 hours from the capital city.

So gangs of marauding war lords couldn't drive 5 hours if they wanted to?  Any place that is encircled by barbed wire fences doesn't exactly scream carefree vacation.

That being said, I've been to Labadee several times over the years and never felt unsafe.  But it wouldn't be high on my list of itinerary places to visit.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Labadee is a very safe destination. You are not giving Royal Caribbean any credit if you think they do not monitor the situation. Yes gangs could drive there but the security is very tight and they want the easy targets. I was there this year and it was great.

Just now, smokeybandit said:

To do what? Rob people of their seapass card and snorkeling gear?

Exactly -- people don't bring more than a couple dollars in cash to Labadee, which is really just a beach.  Gangs could drive to the area, but they'd gain nothing and face armed guards.  

If I was a gang wanting to rob people at Labadee, and I don't THINK this will happen, I'd go directly to the ship, bypass the people on land, board her and start taking people that are on the ship to their cabins and get them to open their safe(s) and go to Guest Services.  Afterall, ships are very very unsecure.  Most don't have arms available (as I've been told) to them.  Even if they are armed, they are so securely stored, it would take too much time to issue them in an effective manor.  

Again, that's not to say that I think this would happen in Labadee.  JMHO

23 minutes ago, swingphi said:

Labadee is a very safe destination. You are not giving Royal Caribbean any credit if you think they do not monitor the situation. Yes gangs could drive there but the security is very tight and they want the easy targets. I was there this year and it was great.

Yes, the cruise line does monitor the situation and has actually skipped the stop in the past when there were unauthorized boats in the area.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smokeybandit said:

To do what? Rob people of their seapass card and snorkeling gear?

Kidnapping for ransom would be the more likely play. 

But the guys at the fence with the machine guns are certainly enough of a deterrent that they probably would never try it. 

1 hour ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Exactly -- people don't bring more than a couple dollars in cash to Labadee, which is really just a beach.  Gangs could drive to the area, but they'd gain nothing and face armed guards.  

A couple dollars goes a long long way in Haiti but I think in the event of a robbery the criminals would be more interested in the jewelry people wear. The port itself is usually safe, however there have been issues from upset locals surrounding the area by boat. In addition I often find the little craft village to be somewhat sketchy with desperate vendors refusing to take no for an answer. That being said, out of all my travels Jamaica is the port stop I usually feel most uncomfortable. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, fsjosh said:

But the guys at the fence with the machine guns are certainly enough of a deterrent that they probably would never try it. 

Serious question;

I've been there a few times and I never saw a fence or anybody armed.  To be honest, I haven't really looked either and I haven't gone beyond Barefoot Beach either.  But, my question, have you seen guys with "machine guns"?  

24 minutes ago, fsjosh said:

Thing is, kidnapping is a whole other level of crime, and the penalties are big-big.  I don't think this is a realistic concern.  

22 minutes ago, rolloman said:

A couple dollars goes a long long way in Haiti but I think in the event of a robbery the criminals would be more interested in the jewelry people wear. 

True, a couple dollars will buy a lot in Hati, but I don't think people wear a lot of jewelry at the beach, and jewelry has to be sold -- I wonder if a poor country like Hati has many options for turning jewelry into cash.  

22 minutes ago, rolloman said:

That being said, out of all my travels Jamaica is the port stop I usually feel most uncomfortable. 

I mostly feel sorry for those people, who have so little opportunity to earn money to support their families.  

14 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Serious question;

I've been there a few times and I never saw a fence or anybody armed.  To be honest, I haven't really looked either and I haven't gone beyond Barefoot Beach either.  But, my question, have you seen guys with "machine guns"?  

Royal Caribbean has designed things so that guests stay near the water /don't go near the gate that the connects the peninsula of Labadee to the main portion of Hati -- but they bring in locals to work, so you know they have a gate.  

Overall, I'm just not nervous about getting off the ship at Labadee.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Royal Caribbean has designed things so that guests stay near the water /don't go near the gate that the connects the peninsula of Labadee to the main portion of Hati -- but they bring in locals to work, so you know they have a gate.  

Pretty sure the zipline excursions have to go out the gate to the top of the mountain.