"Formal" on Princess

ScottsSweetie

We are booking our first Princess cruise to Mexican Riviera (platinum status on Carnival + other lines cruised also).

I'm wondering what the formal situation is on Princess for the 2 formal nights on our 7 day cruise. On Carnival, when they actually had formal evenings it seemed as if the first formal night was more formal (long gowns and suits) than the 2nd one (cocktail dresses or nice slacks). Is there a particular vibe on Princess for these two different evenings?

Also, while I did a search on this topic and didn't really find an answer to that, I did find several threads that included comments like "I don't pack formal wear anymore"; "I bring leggings for formal evenings"; and other like things. I have read the definition on the Princess website but I would like to know what the facts are in real life.

Also, I had previously read or heard that on formal evenings the dress code is enforced all over the ship (shows and other venues). True or false??

Edited by ScottsSweetie
Added question

Well, 'Formal' is a good deal less formal than it used to be.

Of course, you can dress to the nines if you like!!!  

Yes, on Princess, there are two more 'formal' nights,  which I think are also called 'dress to impress'.

Even then, I think you will see slacks or nice pants, dress shirts, maybe some coats and or ties.

And, of course with the ladies, it can run the gamut from nice pants and shirt,  to skirts and dresses, with some more fancy formal dresses around.

If I am right, the second formal night is the most formal night...  the menus in the MDR usually reflect that.  There will be the photo stations set up for those nice pictures.

More recent cruisers might post the latest insight.

But, no, there is no dress-code, formal or otherwise, that is suggested ship-wide.  

Formal guidelines seem to have been loosely enforced in the MDRs.

Edited by Wishing on a star
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

No enforcement outside of the dining room and even there unless you arrive in shorts, torn jeans or wifebeaters you will be seated. I have not worn a tie on years. Slacks and long sleeve shirt with sports coat is as fancy as I get. 2nd formal is usually when lobster is on the menu if that matters to you

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, ScottsSweetie said:

We are booking our first Princess cruise to Mexican Riviera (platinum status on Carnival + other lines cruised also).

I'm wondering what the formal situation is on Princess for the 2 formal nights on our 7 day cruise. On Carnival, when they actually had formal evenings it seemed as if the first formal night was more formal (long gowns and suits) than the 2nd one (cocktail dresses or nice slacks). Is there a particular vibe on Princess for these two different evenings?

Also, while I did a search on this topic and didn't really find an answer to that, I did find several threads that included comments like "I don't pack formal wear anymore"; "I bring leggings for formal evenings"; and other like things. I have read the definition on the Princess website but I would like to know what the facts are in real life.

Also, I had previously read or heard that on formal evenings the dress code is enforced all over the ship (shows and other venues). True or false??

I think @Wishing on a star just about nailed it.

I feel that it is not as dressy on the warmer climate cruises, such as Caribbean, Mexico etc.  I’ve seen more formal attire on the European cruises for example.  But, it really is a mix IMO.

Some are really dressed formally, while others are more like nice pants & shirt for the men to dressy slacks & tops for women.

Do what you want to do, it’s your vacation!

False, there is not a dress code all over the ship.  Basically, the MDR’s.  I have seen them turn away some that wore shorts and cutoff jeans to dinner. Some prefer to go to the buffet and they do not have to dress up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, c-boy said:

celebrating anything ?

Nothing other than being blessed to go on another cruise! 

When we cruise this time of year (anytime between October & Christmas), we always call it our Birthday/Christmas cruise. My birthday is October, DH is December and this is considered our birthday celebrations and our Christmas gifts to each other. So, a celebration only in our minds! 

• Like 2

I can tell you on our last riviera cruise, I did see a chap wearing shorts turned away on one formal nite.  I did my first round of research, watching videos people put up on formal nite.

Edited by c-boy
  • Thanks 1

No matter what you decide on to wear on a formal night I think you'll be a little shocked to see what people are wearing to the dining room these days. Ever since the return from Covid, the cruise line is letting people decide for themselves what they consider formal dress.

Very few people are turned away from being seated in the DR for lack of real formal clothing.

That shouldn't let you from dressing a formal as you like, or not.

It's your decision. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, c-boy said:

I can tell you on our last riviera cruise, I did see a chap wearing shorts turned away on one formal nite.  I did my first round of research, watching videos people put up on formal nite.

We don't do shorts in the DR even on non-formal nights, so that won't be an issue for us. Will be interesting, just as a personal anecdote, to see how compliance / enforcement compares to Carnival.😏

Just came off Caribbean Princess. 90% guests were very well dressed most nights ,definitely the formal nights . No floor lengths that I saw but many men in tux. My thought is I dress very casual at home so I like my cruise vacation to step it up a few notches. 
We save the shorts for beach holidays.

wear what makes you happy. 

• Like 3

Earlier this year in the Caribbean, shorts were being tolerated on the Enchanted Princess for casual evenings in the DR. You could always count on seeing at least 10 or more guys wearing them each night. 

My DH was going to wear his but they kept it so cold he decided to stay with his blue jeans for comfort. 

We dress up regardless of the suggested dress code. What others choose to wear I really don't give a monkeys!

The wife loves dressing up and I'm happy complimenting her attire. Old fashioned perhaps but just seems disrespectful not to look smart in her company.

Light weight slim fit dinner jackets help keep me within the hold luggage allowance easily too!  

• Like 3

As a woman, I will wear knee length shorts to MDR just like I would to a restaurant here. But not any shorter. I am wearing long plain jeans (without contrasting stitching) plus a dressy top on formal evenings (or what now seems to be called "Dress to Impress"). I have seen some cruisers (1 elderly lady in particular) try to file a complaint about what others were wearing with the Loyalty and Events Mgr. Employee handled it well. But not doing anything 

Yeah, I really prefer Dress to Impress over Formal

On 11/1/2022 at 6:06 AM, Kay S said:

Very much like Carnival.  The rule about formal wear elsewhere on the ship is Cunard, I believe.  

Yes Cunard and P&O UK, been on both. They are trying to maintain tradition.

2 minutes ago, c-boy said:
1 hour ago, Ombud said:

Formal wear takes up 1/2 a suitcase ... the difference between a 17" and a 22" case. (23" with wheels, carryon -> checked)

pack less candy

Formal dress requires formal shoes. Shoes are a problem. 

Replace candy with souvenirs on the way home

Edited by Ombud

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

Formal wear takes up 1/2 a suitcase ... the difference between a 17" and a 22" case. (23" with wheels, carryon -> checked)

46 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Formal dress requires formal shoes. Shoes are a problem. 

Seriously ? Pack your shoes with underwear, socks etc.  They take up virtually no extra room whatsoever. 

And there is no way that a jacket, trousers and a shirt necessitates that much bigger suitcase.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Seriously ? Pack your shoes with underwear, socks etc.  They take up virtually no extra room whatsoever. 

And there is no way that a jacket, trousers and a shirt necessitates that much bigger suitcase.

Maybe mens shoes are different but my block heels take up a lot of space. Maybe I could switch to kitten heels. Oddly my dress doesn't. It's those darn heels. Plus in order to make the 17" suitcase work I have to pack my underwear flat. I've tried the roll method and it doesn't work  .... plus opting for skirt over more socks. 

(Not digging mine out but these in silver)20221101_161059.thumb.jpg.b94093fb16f6c266afba2d33e58af02a.jpg

15 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Maybe mens shoes are different but my block heels take up a lot of space. Maybe I could switch to kitten heels. Oddly my dress doesn't. It's those darn heels. Plus in order to make the 17" suitcase work I have to pack my underwear flat. I've tried the roll method and it doesn't work  .... plus opting for skirt over more socks. 

(Not digging mine out but these in silver)20221101_161059.thumb.jpg.b94093fb16f6c266afba2d33e58af02a.jpg

Hmmm - I can see how those heels could be an issue !

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

🤣 I see you have a flare for the dramatic when it comes to this topic

Edited by c-boy
  • Haha 1