First time Cruiser- drink packages

sh28

Hello- First time cruiser. Myself and hubby and our 2 kids are going with MIL and step-dad in a couple weeks and I need help! I'm just overwhelmed with information and I'm usually the only one figuring everything out 😂. I'm not quite sure costs of everything and wondering if the drink packages are worth it (specifically the Plus package). I love myself some iced lattes and am unfortunately lactose intolerant, so if its anything like land, alternative milk is usually an extra cost. I also do enjoy some adult beverages, especially if on vacation. I would probably take advantage of sodas, bottled waters, etc too. We are going to be off ship on the 2 full port days for most of the day and I'm just trying to figure out if its worth it to buy myself the plus package.  If I got a couple adult drinks and maybe a "specialty" coffee per day, what would be more cost effective? Sorry for the rambling, trying to give as much info as possible! TIA

The Plus Beverage Package by itself is 70.79 USD per day (including 18% service charge) and must be purchased for the entire voyage.  Bundled with WiFi and Gratuities, Plus is a better deal at $50 per day.  WiFi is $10 by itself, Crew Appreciation is $14.50-$16.50 per person per day so you're at $24.50 before drinks.   Fancy coffees are $4-5, Drinks $8-12 so those can add up to more than $25 without a stretch

PS: Welcome to Cruise Critic, join the Roll Call for your voyage and connect with fellow passengers before the cruise.

• Like 4

As Papa Yoda said, the Plus package also includes crew gratuities and WiFi so by having a few cocktails, specialty coffee's, bottled water and soda, it would be worth it for you.

Since this is your first cruise, be sure to pack a little medicine bag with things like Pepto Bismol, Tums, pain reliever, allergy/cold meds. They do not sell these on the ship. Since you all will be eating and drinking probably very different than at home, the tummy meds come in handy.

If you have any other questions, be sure to ask, there is a wealth of knowledge here.

Have a fantastic cruise!

• Like 1

Just to add that all adults occupying the same stateroom must both purchase the drink package, if purchased separately.  If you choose the cruise fare that includes Plus, all adults in the cabin are covered.  Children will be allowed non alcoholic beverages instead of alcoholic beverages in the package. As mentioned, the Plus Package will only cost $50.00 per person per day and includes wifi, gratuities, alcoholic beverages, water, specialty coffees and fountain sodas.  

I'm not quite sure costs of everything and wondering if the drink packages are worth it (specifically the Plus package).

Unless you have lots of Onboard Credit to cover the daily gratuities, wifi and your beverages the plus fare is worth the cost. At worst you will probably break even.

The plus package is $50/pp/day and must be purchased by the first two passengers in the cabin. You can not just purchase it for yourself. Both you and hubby will have to purchase it. Same with MIL and step dad if they wish to go that way. You also have to upgrade before you board, I think the deadline is 3 days before sailing but don't know for sure. Each person will receive unlimited wifi internet, daily gratuities (crew appreciation) and the beverage package which covers 15 alcoholic beverages/pp/day plus unlimited specialty coffee drinks and most other soft drinks. Sodas with the package are limited to fountain sodas. The breakeven point is approximately 2 to 3 alcoholic beverages/pp/day. Even on port days that isn't very difficult. Yes, Princess does have milk alternatives for coffee and other beverages at no extra cost, quantities unlimited, indulge yourself. Oder at the International Cafe at some other locations or via the medallion app for delivery to you anywhere on the ship.

You do have the children. Your children can use your wifi as long as you are not logged in. There is a way to upgrade the wifi to 4 devices if you need to do that. There is a soda package for children if you want. You can order the soda package on board on boarding day and use OBC if you have it. Canned sodas on board cost around $2.50 each. Each person is permitted to carry on 12 cans, not bottles, of soda if you wish to go than way. There is a fridge in every cabin. Children can obtain juice, milk, chocolate milk at no charge  all day. You can also bring juice boxes on board. Hope this information is helpful.

• Like 2

We always book with my TA.  They almost always (18 out of 20 so far) have a group fare that includes the beverage package, gratuities, wifi at the same cost as a cruise only fare.  Plus she offers OBC.  We found her using Google and having companies Compete for our business.

PS not a Big Box TA.  Ask availability for phone calls.  Not allowed to share her name.

Who booked the cruise? Direct with Princess, through a TA or CVP? Do you have your booking number? If you have the booking number go onto the Princess website and sign in using your name, birthdate, and booking number. This should tell you the type of fare that was booked for you. Perhaps the person treating you to the cruise also paid for the plus package at the time of booking. On a separate topic have you ordered your medallion?

My MIL did through a travel agent. I do have the booking # and confirmation through the travel agent. Pretty sure the package was not on there. 

Medallion ordered. Waiting for them to arrive!

The plus package can now be added to almost any booking up to a few days prior to departure, but what I’m not sure is if it has to be through the original sales channel or not.  

Here’s how you it displays for me (booked through a Princess Vacation Planner)

1) Login:  here’s the success screen:

image.thumb.jpeg.9249c094ac7ea8f9974c5a5eff58a34a.jpeg

2) Select your upcoming voyage, and click Manage This Booking:

image.thumb.jpeg.a391ddfbf5fb97c340156e98a91e378c.jpeg

3) Click Onboard Services

image.thumb.jpeg.45f594c3a6539581bae7478d9d03b478.jpeg

if you can upgrade this way you’ll (probably)see this screen:

image.thumb.jpeg.73ce9b61c2cc810a457d1a040f1df132.jpeg

If you, instead, scroll all the way to the bottom of this page, you’ll see this section, where your prepurchased packages are listed.  If you don’t see them here, you don’t have them, but they’ll show up here shortly after purchase.   Ignore the price you see here - Princess does this for accounting reasons.  You’ll only be charged what you see in the upgrade flow, $50/day. 

image.thumb.jpeg.72b05f3a858162f9f08201fab8697c19.jpeg

hope this helps.  Bon voyage!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

Just to add that all adults occupying the same stateroom must both purchase the drink package, if purchased separately.  

That’s actually no longer the case.  The Plus package with gratuity and WiFi must apply to all passengers in the cabin, but the drink package alone can be added to just one guest.   Princess had a lil’ legal issue with that policy and it was quietly changed several years back. 

Here's the scoop straight from Princess' website:

The Plus Beverage Package

Terms & Conditions

What is Included

• The package includes all beer, spirits, wine by the glass and cocktails $12.00 USD and under as listed on our menu(s), or $16.00 AUD and under for voyages departing from and returning to Australia and New Zealand.
  • The package includes sparkling or still bottled water (500ml or less), fountain sodas, juices, specialty coffees and teas, Frappés at Coffee & Cones, and Red Bull energy drinks.
  • The package provides a 25% discount on the following excluded items: all bottles of wine, one-liter bottles of water and canned sodas.
  • The package may be used on our private islands, all food and beverage venues, and other areas such as the theater or public spaces that offer beverage service.

Package Details and Qualifications

• Age restrictions apply for purchases of the Plus Beverage Package.
  • The Plus Beverage Package is US $59.99 per day plus 18% service charge (totaling $70.79 per day) for all itineraries except Australia. For all Australian-based vessels, the package is AUD $86.99 per day which includes a service charge. You will be charged the full amount for the complete voyage at the time of purchase.
  • The Plus Beverage Package must be purchased for every day a passenger is sailing. Partial / pro-rated packages or purchase for segments of a guest’s voyage are NOT accepted.
  • The package may be pre-purchased at least four days prior to boarding the vessel.
  • The package is offered on board on embarkation day, and is NOT sold after embarkation day.
  • The package is NOT available for pre-purchase within three days of sailing.
  • The package is NOT refundable or transferable once purchased on board, and for advance purchased packages, NOT refundable or transferable within three days of sailing.

Exclusions

• The package does not apply to bottled spirits or bottled wine or any items offered in retail venues or shops on board.
  • The package does not apply to Mini-Bar items.
  • The package does not apply to souvenir Glassware.
  • The package excludes and is not combinable with other Programs, Promotions, Onboard Specials, or Events such as Wine Tastings, Chef’s Table, Buckets of Beer, Specialty Dining cover charges, or food items for sale such as ice cream, etc.

Not all exclusions or limitations can be foreseen or published here and may exist or be implemented without notice.

Pricing is subject to change without notice and for vessels designated in a foreign currency, packages purchased in advance may vary from onboard pricing due to timing and currency fluctuations. Guests will NOT incur additional charges, nor be issued any credits or refunds for such currency variances.

Terms and Conditions

• Alcoholic drinks are limited to 15 beverages per 24-hour period (6 a.m. to 6 a.m.). Alcoholic drinks requested above the daily limits are at the discretion of the shipboard management and crew and charged at regular menu prices.
  • Non-alcoholic drinks do NOT have this limitation, nor do they count toward this maximum.
  • Items selected that exceed the $12.00 USD or $16.00 AUD price are charged according to the difference in price.
  • Packages may NOT be shared, are NON-transferable and NON-refundable.
  • Shipboard management reserves the right to add additional restrictions and revoke or cancel the Plus Beverage Package at any point during a guest’s voyage for any reason with or without a prorated refund. Additional actions may be taken if guests:
    • Become intoxicated
    • Provide beverages to other guests or do NOT comply with the terms, conditions and limitations of the package
    • Exhibit behavior that is inappropriate, a safety risk to themselves or others, or become offensive or disruptive to other cruise guests or staff
    • Exceed, or attempt to circumvent, the daily limits and service limitations outlined

Princess Cruises may modify, amend or update the terms and conditions of our beverage packages at any time with or without notice to guests. The terms and conditions as published on princess.com on the date of sailing will apply.

So there is again the standard Princess confusion...  Nothing in the T&Cs there states that the first 2  passengers in the same cabin must purchase the "whole" Plus Package.  I do know you can't buy the Plus fare separately at booking, but can you add the upgrade separately later?

https://www.princess.com/cruise-deals-promotions/plus-premier-cruise-packages/terms-and-conditions/

I was able to upgrade our package using Chat.  They added it to the booking and I paid via Personalizer.  I should have checked on severability. 

If booked via TA you'd have to pay for the upgrade through the TA. 

@sh28Give it a shot and let us know!

Edited by Papa Yoda
add link to T&Cs

You need to pencil it out based on your expectations.  My wife and I do not drink, so for us the math was easy.  Tips of 14.50 per day, internet/WiFi at $5 per day (elite discount), and the soda package at 11.80 per day cost me about $20 per person per day LESS than the Plus Package.  I still had to pay for a couple of coffees that were not included in my soda package but I saved roughly $400 ($20 pp pd) by skipping the Plus Package.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sh28 said:

I love myself some iced lattes and am unfortunately lactose intolerant, so if its anything like land, alternative milk is usually an extra cost.

These items are included with the Plus package. You can ask for milk alternatives and not worry about any sort of extra cost when you have booked with Princess Plus.

The Plus package (including drinks, wifi. gratuities) may be of use to you but I believe it applies to the first 2 adults in a cabin. The drink package itself is around $70/day and can be purchased for one person but I doubt you would find that a good value. Only you can decide but you might be better served by pre-ordering some bottled water,  buying a coffee package once onboard and paying for the occasional soft drink or alcoholic beverage.  You can also carry on a 12pk of canned soft drinks per person. 

One thing that hasn’t been mentioned is that there is some value to not having to think about things when you’re on vacation.  Pencil in your calculations and if the plus package value is anywhere near breakeven, I’d definitely recommend adding it.

my wife and I don’t usually drink much.  But on our last cruise my wife admitted that not having to think about how much the drinks were, she was really enjoying ordering drinks during the cruise!

Just like staying at a resort which includes activities - it doesn’t matter if you use them or not - having the freedom to do something if it sounds like fun, with no other things to weigh, definitely can make the vacation much more fun.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WAvoyager said:

my wife and I don’t usually drink much.  But on our last cruise my wife admitted that not having to think about how much the drinks were, she was really enjoying ordering drinks during the cruise!

That and being able to try a drink that you would not normally buy --- at least at the price Princess is asking.

On 11/6/2022 at 6:24 PM, Lady Arwen said:

Just to add that all adults occupying the same stateroom must both purchase the drink package, if purchased separately.  If you choose the cruise fare that includes Plus, all adults in the cabin are covered.  Children will be allowed non alcoholic beverages instead of alcoholic beverages in the package. As mentioned, the Plus Package will only cost $50.00 per person per day and includes wifi, gratuities, alcoholic beverages, water, specialty coffees and fountain sodas.  

I recently read Princess does not require both adults in a room to buy the drink package. (i'm not a big drinker but DH enjoys trying new wines) I thought it was odd since most lines require it, and I can't remember where I saw the article. Has anyone else read anything like this?  

Edited by runner2013
content

29 minutes ago, runner2013 said:

I recently read Princess does not require both adults in a room to buy the drink package. (i'm not a big drinker but DH enjoys trying new wines) I thought it was odd since most lines require it, and I can't remember where I saw the article. Has anyone else read anything like this?  

They require both to get the plus package.  If you are buying a drink package, you can buy it just for yourself.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ghstudio said:

They require both to get the plus package.  If you are buying a drink package, you can buy it just for yourself.

the Plus package is included in the cruise 'fare' - and FCC can be used to offset the cost

the 'drink/beverage' package is an add-on - and OBC can be used to offset the cost

18 minutes ago, PrincessArlena'sDad said:

Sorry, I'm a little confused.  For the plus package with wifi and gratuities, is it for all people in cabin, first 2 in cabin, or can you choose? And, does it matter whether you initially book with the package, or add it later as an add on? 

PLUS & PREMIER are required for the 1st & 2nd passenger.

Same whether add-on or not.  The suggestion above that can add-on for one is wrong.

Also, any discussion about the alcohol package is a waste of typing space above.  Even if only one person drinks, you are much better off with the PLUS.  There is ZERO reason to purchase the separate drinks package. 

$19.50 - $24.50 is taken up by MedallionNet and Crew Appreciation (in a standard cabin and depending if you get internet discounted or not).  Note that Wifi is free for ship's INTRAnet - you are paying for INTERnet access - not Wifi.

So, the drink portion of PLUS is $31.50 - $25.50.  TWO of those charges are less than ONE separate drink package, so don't even think about that.

• Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

PLUS & PREMIER are required for the 1st & 2nd passenger.

Same whether add-on or not.  The suggestion above that can add-on for one is wrong.

Also, any discussion about the alcohol package is a waste of typing space above.  Even if only one person drinks, you are much better off with the PLUS.  There is ZERO reason to purchase the separate drinks package. 

$19.50 - $24.50 is taken up by MedallionNet and Crew Appreciation (in a standard cabin and depending if you get internet discounted or not).  Note that Wifi is free for ship's INTRAnet - you are paying for INTERnet access - not Wifi.

So, the drink portion of PLUS is $31.50 - $25.50.  TWO of those charges are less than ONE separate drink package, so don't even think about that.

Thanks. This is very helpful.  We're a family of 5 and thinking about the family suit - if we can get it.  So the plus package would work for us, as wife and I would have it, but kids would not. 

If we get 2 cabins,  we should put kids in separate cabin. Wife and I get plus package, kids cabin would not.  Oldest is 21, but won't come near $50/ day on beverages) 

This sound right? 

25 minutes ago, PrincessArlena'sDad said:

Thanks. This is very helpful.  We're a family of 5 and thinking about the family suit - if we can get it.  So the plus package would work for us, as wife and I would have it, but kids would not. 

If we get 2 cabins,  we should put kids in separate cabin. Wife and I get plus package, kids cabin would not.  Oldest is 21, but won't come near $50/ day on beverages) 

This sound right? 

How old are the kids?  Sometimes you need to book one parent and one child in each cabin and then swap at check-in with guest services on board.

I think you can also swap the Plus over.  Someone else can likely confirm.