Over 800 people have COVID on the Majestic Princess

PescadoAmarillo

2 hours ago, Thrak said:

This is pretty much to be expected on a cruise where unvaccinated people are allowed to sail without pre-cruise testing.

Not true in Australia. Pre-cruise testing is required.  Either a self administered RAT (antigen test) within 24 hours of boarding or a PCR test within 48 hours of boarding is required.  I've been following the recently completed Round Australia cruise on the Coral Princess and when Covid numbers increased, ports required disembarking passengers to complete a self administered RAT before being allowed to leave the ship.  This helped identified asymptomatic passengers in addition to those who incorrectly diagnosed themselves as having something other than Covid.  Anyone testing positive had to stay on board and was identifed to medical services.

Edited by capriccio
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, XLVIII said:

We’re on Enchanted right now (St Kitts). Most crew members are not wearing masks. 

As of 2 days ago, all crew have been wearing masks. Just returned from dinner; every crew member I saw was wearing a mask.

Edited by richsea
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, capriccio said:

Not true in Australia. Pre-cruise testing is required.  Either a self administered RAT (antigen test) within 24 hours of boarding or a PCR test within 48 hours of boarding is required.

We are booked (3rd try...) for a B2B2B Australia & New Zealand October/November cruise next year. I fully expect to be required to show a negative test in order to cruise that part of the world. Hopefully we will be able to cruise at that time. We've had similar B2B2B cruises in the same area cancelled twice due to Covid restrictions.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Thrak said:

We are booked (3rd try...) for a B2B2B Australia & New Zealand October/November cruise next year. I fully expect to be required to show a negative test in order to cruise that part of the world. Hopefully we will be able to cruise at that time. We've had similar B2B2B cruises in the same area cancelled twice due to Covid restrictions.

We - along with a DB, DS and their spouses - are on the 28 day Round Australia cruise in April and agree completely.  Good luck to you (at least you have a year to hope things calm down).

1 hour ago, richsea said:

As of 2 days ago, all crew have been wearing masks. Just returned from dinner; every crew member I saw was wearing a mask.

We’ve been served by many maskless crew members over the past 2 days, including right now! All crew members are definitely not masked. 

My wife and I did a 29 day cruise on the Island Princess April-May this year.  We wore masks any time we were out of our room, except, obviously, when eating.  Fortunately we didn't get Covid.  We will be doing 45 days of cruising in the Caribbean on Holland America and Princess starting on Nov. 19th.  We'll be wearing masks all the time again.  Hopefully that will keep us from getting it, especially Connie, as she is immune compromised.  We're both fully vaxxed and boosted.  We wear N95 masks on board.  We're both 70.

It's too bad the cruise lines dropped testing.  800 people is just too damn many.

Steve

Edited by crimlarks
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Hard for any preventive measure to be effective if no one complies.

Oh, there were people wearing masks, but not when sipping & covering while drinking. At that time the crew were all wearing masks 100 % of the time. 

Edited by MissP22

1 hour ago, tinkky said:

I see she is leaving now

we are on the next cruise

FEA62A90-75A4-42BA-BF27-98325FDE5BA2.png

At the pier we received a letter advising masks were mandatory indoors (except your own cabin) unless eating or drinking. Looked like close to 100% compliance tonight, although we Aussies are known for obeying direction.🙄

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, leck57 said:

At the pier we received a letter advising masks were mandatory indoors (except your own cabin) unless eating or drinking. Looked like close to 100% compliance tonight, although we Aussies are known for obeying direction.🙄

Cause they locked us down so many times and threaten unemployment line if you didn't comply.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Thrak said:

This is pretty much to be expected on a cruise where unvaccinated people are allowed to sail without pre-cruise testing.

Well, since vaccinated people also get and spread Covid, not sure that is the issue. My husband and I both got Covid AFTER 3 shots. He had very minor symptoms, I had NO symptoms. We got our 4th shot 3 weeks ago. Same with pre cruise testing..it doesn't pick up recently acquired infections or those that are picked up onboard or on shore excursions. Sadly, those v with multiple risk factors probably shouldn't cruise.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Covid is everywhere. Planes, trains, taxis, airports, grocery stores, sporting events, and yes, cruise ships.  If you are concerned about catching it, or any respiratory disease, get vaxxed, boosted, and wear a mask.  It's that simple.  You don't need to depend on what others around you are doing with regards to masks, take precautions to protect yourself.

(This advice was from my GP during an annual checkup last week and echos what I have posted in the past and sometimes had deleted) 

I also agree with sabreline above, those with co-morbidities and those with underlying conditions should not be exposing themselves to covid unnecessarily and cruising is not a necessity.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Some of these defenses and recommendation for traveling and cruising in the era of Covid are so simplistic that they almost sound correct but they are just bogus to the core.

800 passengers on a cruise ship who are ill (with a potentially fatal disease) is not the norm in any world and most would consider it a major major problem.

Princess dropped the ball too early on lowering their successful Covid prevention protocols for the sake of profit versus passenger health and that is the only thing that has changed this year since January 2022.

People should not pay for an expensive vacation with a high probability of illness if the company has no interest in prevention of diseases onboard.

It sounds like some are saying cruising is fun but you are probably going to get sick and not enjoy it?

Bon voyage!!

Edited by Princessfan20
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, sabreline said:

Sadly, those v with multiple risk factors probably shouldn't cruise.

1 hour ago, SargassoPirate said:

I also agree with sabreline above, those with co-morbidities and those with underlying conditions should not be exposing themselves to covid unnecessarily and cruising is not a necessity.

I think everyone should make their own decisions to cruise or travel or how to live their life based on their  own situation.  My wife has been immunocompromised for 30 years. We take the necessary precautions to travel based on her health and the advice of her health care team.  She also does a great job of managing her health and she knows she is ultimately responsible for herself, not what others are doing or not doing.  She isn't careless with her health and safety but she wants to live her life as well.  She has not let her condition get in the way of living her life, and we've been fortunate to be able to frequently travel to many wonderful places.  We will have our 3rd cruise since the start up soon.  She has always felt she doesn't want to miss out on all that life has to offer because of her potential risks.  I feel this sentiment about those who have health conditions and cruising comes from the place of concern, but trust me those who have these conditions have been dealing with the risks long before Covid and will be dealing with them long after.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

As I undertand, this ship was out of New Zealand and visting Australia.

Here are the covid requirements to sail there as of Nov 2. So my understanding is few unvaccinated (if any) passengers.

CruiseHealth™ FAQ: Sailings from Australia & New Zealand

Updated November 2, 2022

What's on this page: COVID-19 Vaccination Requirements | COVID-19 Acknowledgement | COVID-19 Testing Requirements Before You Sail | Embarkation | Onboard Experience | Health & Safety | Shore Visits & Excursions | After You Sail
/images/global/plan/cruise-with-confidence/cruise-health/frequently-asked-questions/au-cruises/intro-au-vaccination-screen-640.jpg

Current Health Protocols for Cruises Visiting Australia, New Zealand & South Pacific Countries

• Vaccinations
    • Guests must have received their final dose of an authorized COVID-19 vaccine at least 14 days before the beginning of the cruise and provide acceptable proof at terminal check-in.
    • Boosters are highly recommended for those eligible at least seven days before cruising.
  • Testing
    • At terminal check-in guests must attest to a negative viral COVID-19 test (PCR or rapid antigen) taken before embarkation.
  • Thanks 1

It is also important to remember a couple of points. 

* Covid in 2020 is not the same as Covid in 2022. Since 2020 it has mutated into a less virulent form.  

* The vaccines do not prevent you from getting covid, just not as sick with it - as evidenced by the reports of mild cases and cases where people didn't even know they were a case until they tested positive.  Those are still counted as "cases" and add to the "outbreak" reports.

One can either take precautions and travel, or one can wait until the case count is zero before venturing out.  With more decades behind me than in front of me, I don't have time to waste.  I'm vaxxed and boosted and carry a mask in case it's needed to for whatever reason.

• Like 15

Although i am not a big fan of Carnival owned cruise lines, i do like Princess offerings. i just wonder how come only Princess has such problems. Other cruise lines have Covid on board but not to the degree Princess does. Princess can't be enforcing safety Protocols to have such a large number come down with co-vid. I question whether they are enforcing the mask mandate on board this ship. Their number 1 priority should be the health and safety of their crew and passengers on board their ships.  We have a cruise booked for June on the Majestic Princess. It does give one pause as to whether we should cancel. Australia should prevent the ship from sailing in their waters. That's the only way Princess will get the message. 

Edited by adjustman
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

* Covid in 2020 is not the same as Covid in 2022. Since 2020 it has mutated into a less virulent form.  

Thankfully. We wouldn’t even be having this discussion if that were not the case. But, so many have mentioned, a risk analysis is still required. And it’s no longer the risk of getting COVID, it’s the risk of what it will do to your body when you do.

Just because you cruised when the mandates were in place without getting COVID does not mean you can expect the same now, when mandates are largely dropped (or ignored even more than before).  You have to cruise with the expectation that you WILL test positive, either on the ship or after you return home. 

Happily, as you said, that no longer means what it did almost three years year ago (can you believe it’s been that long?). But until you’ve gone through it, you just don’t know how your body will handle it. And that’s the risk now. I really think, if you’re determined to cruise, getting the virus before hand, while you can deal with it in your own home with your own doctors, is the luckiest thing that can happen to you. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

I can tell you that when Princess dropped the mask requirement for the crew on my 10/15/2022 full or close to full capacity cruise without telling them to keep some physical distancing, I was extremely concerned when the wait staff was so close physically that his breath was on me while taking my dinner orders. I went to buffet from then on.  Fortunately, I remained covid-free from the cruise but I won't be going on Princess for awhile.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ebeluga said:

I can tell you that when Princess dropped the mask requirement for the crew on my 10/15/2022 full or close to full capacity cruise without telling them to keep some physical distancing, I was extremely concerned when the wait staff was so close physically that his breath was on me while taking my dinner orders. I went to buffet from then on.  Fortunately, I remained covid-free from the cruise but I won't be going on Princess for awhile.

What is the crew masking situation on the other cruise lines?

• Like 1