Family member just elected to a high office in their state government is there any way to celebrate

kgtgirl

So we're going on a cruise and one of our family members just won a position in their state government that is pretty high up one of the top 3 state government jobs, not governor but pretty close. They also are one of the first people to have that position based on race/sex does anyone know if there is something special I could ask the cruise to do to acknowledge that. I know I can order a gift but just thought it be fun to give them a special treat as it's a pretty big deal.  

Thanks so much

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, kgtgirl said:

So we're going on a cruise and one of our family members just won a position in their state government that is pretty high up one of the top 3 state government jobs, not governor but pretty close. They also are one of the first people to have that position based on race/sex does anyone know if there is something special I could ask the cruise to do to acknowledge that. I know I can order a gift but just thought it be fun to give them a special treat as it's a pretty big deal.  

Thanks so much

I would highly suggest you don’t do anything that brings attention to this on a cruise. Politics are very polarizing and what may be a happy occasion for you may upset a lot of other people who are from a different party. 

• Like 33
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, kgtgirl said:

Thanks so much

I am also from MA, so I am pretty sure I know who you are referring to.  Great accomplishment!  I don't think the ship will get into politics, but someone in the family could order a cake or all of you have dinner together in a specialty restaurant to celebrate.

• Like 7

RCCL makes really nice celebratory cakes.  My Pinnacle cake was HUGE, with colored white chocolate pineapple fronds about 4 inches long, and tasted amazing.  We gave the remainder to the dinner dining staff to eat while they set up the dining room for breakfast.

• Like 1

I don't see why the cruise line would/should do something for a personal achievement.

If it's someone's birthday / anniversary / retirement, the MDR or specialty dining staff will write "congrats" on a plate and put a candle in the dessert.  That's as far as it goes.

You can take them out to dinner in a specialty restaurant if you want.  Or put decorations on their door.  Or buy them a bottle of champagne.  But the cruise line isn't going to do something out of the ordinary for a personal achievement.  

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, 3CatsInMA said:

It was so nice to be on a ship last week--of all weeks--far away from politics.

In fact, virtually every cruise we go on seems to be a politics-free zone, and it's rather nice.

I saw an older man in a MAGA hat on our feb 2017 cruise from Fort Lauderdale but other than that I have never seen anything politic related.

Years ago a buddy of mine was way up in the Provincial Government here in Ontario. When he won his position I bought him a beer.

Over the years he told me lots of stories about his life in politics.  Those stories made me wonder why anyone would want to go into politics in the first place. So, to the OP my condolences to you family member and their loved ones. 

Years later when my buddy finally lost an election and retired from politics I bought him 6 beers! Now that was something to celebrate! 🍻

• Like 8
  • Haha 3

As someone who has spent a lot of time with famous people over the last 25 years of my life,  I can assure you that the last thing you want to do is draw attention to this person on their vacation. It will completely ruin your trip, as it will invite unwanted attention, it will be disruptive to them and to the rest of you, leading you to be continually interrupted in every meal and activity that you do, and it will cause the person and possibly others in your party to become reclusive and want to hide out on their vacation. 

While I understand wanting to celebrate and acknowledge this achievement for your family member, and that's awesome by the way, I don't think you have an understanding of how this could negatively change your vacation experience. I would take others suggestions of doing a specialty dinner or something that can be enjoyed privately by your family, but that doesn't make a big show to the rest of the passengers, unless you want your cruise experience altered in such a way that it won't be as relaxing or as enjoyable as you might envision.

Given this is new to you guys, you might find this attention fun for a while, but trust me, having every meal you have in a public setting interrupted, even just for a quick 3 seconds of congratulations gets old very, very quickly, because those 3 seconds from 1 person turns into an hour or 2 when it happens repeatedly for your entire meal. 

And lastly, this could endanger their safety if it draws the attention of the wrong person. Just a bad idea to make a public show of this in a place where you can't escape, in my experience.

Edited by ARandomTraveler
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, brillohead said:

I don't see why the cruise line would/should do something for a personal achievement.

If it's someone's birthday / anniversary / retirement, the MDR or specialty dining staff will write "congrats" on a plate and put a candle in the dessert.  That's as far as it goes.

You can take them out to dinner in a specialty restaurant if you want.  Or put decorations on their door.  Or buy them a bottle of champagne.  But the cruise line isn't going to do something out of the ordinary for a personal achievement.  

Any passenger with a significant event to celebrate can request a cake for their table for dessert at dinner.  It needs to be requested with advance notice through the head waiter of that dining section, or the manager of a specialty restaurant.

20 hours ago, kgtgirl said:

Thanks so much

Don’t ask a private company to help you celebrate a political victory.  That would be my advice.  Very happy your family member has achieved their goal of obtaining that office.  But it is a personal career achievement.  I’ve never seen Royal do something for any politician.  I do know there have been politicians of the highest level on prior Royal cruises, but I’ve been told they go as low key as possible.  

I personally wouldn’t highlight anything about your family member for reasons already mentioned on this thread.  People may think that is sad, but anyone winning a high position in state government has been playing that game for a long time.  

If I was your family member I would be seeking as much anonymity as possible during the trip.  As they say, loose lips sink ships.  No need for negative attention from someone who hold a different political opinion.  Your family member will be showered with praise at every event over the next several years no matter what.  So they are not exactly missing out on anything.  

• Like 9

21 hours ago, kgtgirl said:

Thanks so much

Well, you can get a cake, like a birthday cake, but honestly, a cruise is not a political place, such as the question might now be asked, if the person won because of race, or are they qualified for the job.  (you see, your brought race into the question, which on the ship, would open a flood gate of opinions). 

• Like 1

Am I missing something? This seems we’re in junior high school and somebody posted about wanting to have a party for their friend’s uncle brother’s cousin who made Chief Eagle Scout. Really? Get the person a card, but I can’t really see how it warrants a threat at CC. 

Edited by AlohaLivin
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, AlohaLivin said:

Am I missing something? This seems we’re in junior high school and somebody posted about wanting to have a party for their friend’s uncle brother’s cousin who made Chief Eagle Scout. Really? Get the person a card, but I can’t really see how it warrants a threat at CC. 

I guess you haven't seen the Don’t rush to flush! thread on here, or the Totally unacceptable thread over on Celebrity.

This is CC, anything and everything gets a thread around here, warranted or not.  

BTW Look for my next thread titled "Can I Tip the Crew with My Homemade Poutine" coming soon to a board near you! 😁

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

On 11/14/2022 at 3:45 PM, kgtgirl said:

Thanks so much

Congrats to your family member!  I won't rain on the parade 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1