Has Seabourn gone to the dogs?

markham

I knew this would grab everyone’s attention.

Our friends on the transatlantic Sojourn crossing report that a “service” poodle dog is off leash running around with its apparently oblivious owner.

What is that about? Even on QM2’s traditional transatlantic service dogs are always in the kennel. And what about those who have allergies etc or who don’t like dogs? What about my pet python? Do weigh in.

Happy and healthy sailing!

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

OP, Service Dogs (seeing eye or hearing) are permitted on Cunard including the QM2.   Other sorts of service dogs, i.e. emotional, are not recognized as service animals.   The kennels are for pets, dogs and cats, and must be reserved way in advance of a crossing as kennels are typically sold out.     World cruises are the one exception.

52 minutes ago, florisdekort said:

There used to be a woman who practically lived on board Celebrity ships, who as always seen pushing around her service dog in a baby pram… to the bars, to dinner, to the theatre… everywhere! 

The first time I see a ship's Captain with a service dog I'm getting off at the next port!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I have seen photos. The dog is a smallish grey poodle sitting on a Seabourn Square chair with its leash trailing to the floor. Its owner is seated nearby reading a magazine. No spectacles. This is not a Labrador seeing eye dog.

According to the GSM this was approved by head office- so nothing to do with the local management nor any passenger who doesn’t care for dogs on seats. This sorta reminds me of Ody last April when head office sent several “models” and their support team to hold photo sessions - meals, poolside, cavorting - in several ship areas and the Carambola beach day. For a full week. Passengers had to keep out of their way. Their manager referred to them as “the talent”. HD Luca was always at their service. Sometimes you wonder if Seabourn knows that passengers pay the bills and do not expect the join their marketing department’s support staff. 

I have to believe that SLSD is right. This is a way to cross the Atlantic for a dog and its oblivious owner who knows all too well how to get her way with head office. As if no one else would notice.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, markham said:

I have to believe that SLSD is right. This is a way to cross the Atlantic for a dog and its oblivious owner who knows all too well how to get her way with head office. As if no one else would notice.

I have a friend who is. moving to Portugal in April and taking her dog.  She tells me that it would cost $10,000 to fly her dog on a special "dog flight" on a chartered flight with other dogs.  It costs around $500 she says to fly her dog in the hold of a plane.  So--the cruise option looks pretty good to some I would think.  

12 hours ago, markham said:

I knew this would grab everyone’s attention.

Our friends on the transatlantic Sojourn crossing report that a “service” poodle dog is off leash running around with its apparently oblivious owner.

What is that about? Even on QM2’s traditional transatlantic service dogs are always in the kennel. And what about those who have allergies etc or who don’t like dogs? What about my pet python? Do weigh in.

Yes I've heard about your pet Python

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, markham said:

I have seen photos. The dog is a smallish grey poodle sitting on a Seabourn Square chair with its leash trailing to the floor. Its owner is seated nearby reading a magazine. No spectacles. This is not a Labrador seeing eye dog.

According to the GSM this was approved by head office- so nothing to do with the local management nor any passenger who doesn’t care for dogs on seats. This sorta reminds me of Ody last April when head office sent several “models” and their support team to hold photo sessions - meals, poolside, cavorting - in several ship areas and the Carambola beach day. For a full week. Passengers had to keep out of their way. Their manager referred to them as “the talent”. HD Luca was always at their service. Sometimes you wonder if Seabourn knows that passengers pay the bills and do not expect the join their marketing department’s support staff. 

This lady and her dog were on the Encore in August.

I didn't notice the dog curled up on her lap in Seabourn Square until my wife told me.

Never saw either again.

Has anyone been brave enough to ask her, ever so politely, why she needs a service dog?

Presumably she is either a very high spender, or related to someone in top management.  Whatever, not nice for those of us who are either allergic to dogs, or just generally do not want to see them around.  I wonder what its toileting arrangements are?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Has anyone been brave enough to ask her, ever so politely, why she needs a service dog?

Presumably she is either a very high spender, or related to someone in top management.  Whatever, not nice for those of us who are either allergic to dogs, or just generally do not want to see them around.  I wonder what its toileting arrangements are?

Good morning, wow what a thread. No disrespect intended but hoping to get everyone to think a little bit. Would you ever approach someone in a wheelchair and ask (ever so politely) what the nature of their handicap is?

Is it to be brave enough to ask her or is it to be rude enough to ask her?

Service dogs aren’t just for the blind but rather for an entire array of disabilities that aren’t obvious to the skeptical observer like multiple sclerosis, type one diabetes, and epilepsy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

You right, of course, and normally one would not dream of asking this question, and I suppose not even in this case, but in view of the fact that the dog does not seem to perform any duties for her, I can only assume that it is supposed to be for mental health?  Which seems to be happening a lot, often quite spuriously.  This is by no means  the first time there have been reports like this on board ships and planes, and they are generally considered to be just very entitled people trying it on.

• Like 6

I find it hard to believe that the description given relates to a "Service Animal". Service Animals are amazing for those who need them but  they should not affect the enjoyment, physical or mental health of other cruisers. We are shortly making a crossing and in view of my wife's allergies and fear of dogs (as a result of a previous unprovoked attack), I will be angered if there is a dog allowed in the public areas onboard. You are asked about diet and food allergies and are confident these will be coped with. Should we not be told about animals travelling and given the chance to cancel or object?

Also, it is totally unacceptable for any animal to be allowed to sit on chairs in public areas, and the owner should have more respect for fellow cruisers.

• Like 8

9 hours ago, lincslady said:

You right, of course, and normally one would not dream of asking this question, and I suppose not even in this case, but in view of the fact that the dog does not seem to perform any duties for her, I can only assume that it is supposed to be for mental health?  W

No it could be that the dog can sense when the owner is about to have a seizure or if diabetic, needs to have some food. Or lots of other hidden medical issues. 

Of course if the dog is a true service animal, it shouldn't be sitting on furniture.

Edited by AtA

Friends onboard Sojourn confirm that the dog is being allowed to sit on chairs in the public areas.

This is very disappointing. I love dogs but even a service dog does not belong on a chair in a public space. It's not hygienic.  I know of no reason why any service dog would have to sit on a chair.

If there is a genuine reason why the dog requires a chair then the owner should have one of those small portable chairs for it. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, doglover214 said:

I am on the ship with this dog and her owner.

The dog is amazingly well behaved. I, for one, have no problem with having this dog onboard. 

The dog may be well behaved, but it sounds like the owner isn't. Letting the dog off leash. Letting the dog sit on furniture. What's next - dinner with the Captain in Thomas Keller!

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

12 hours ago, Mr Luxury said:

This lady and her dog were on the Encore in August.

I didn't notice the dog curled up on her lap in Seabourn Square until my wife told me.

Never saw either again.

Never saw either of them again?  I hope you don’t mean you never saw your wife again.LOL.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Joc123 said:

On Encore in 2017 (I think).

Lady was travelling in the Owners Suite and had a ‘toilet’ area set up on balcony.

72D256FC-B4CD-4A6D-8507-8B8F3E26536C.jpeg

Cute dog, but seriously?  I for one do not want to sit in a chair after a dog was in it.  I had dogs all my adult life and they never, ever, were allowed on our furniture at home.  I can’t imagine bringing my dog to one of the restaurants we frequent (outdoor dining, dogs allowed) and have them sit on a chair.  Of course she was in an Owners Suite.  Wonder if someone in a V1 would be allowed to do this?  

• Like 2

I'm on this cruise also. I have in fact talked to the lady. She is from Paris. (Of course!) She is at times a bit confused, but then again, so are half of us.

However, today the little dog took a dump right outside the elevator. Madame reached into her bag, used a paper towel to pick it up, said "that should be enough" and went about her activity!

I like dogs, but,.......meh.

• Haha 2