Royal Caribbean Horrible Customer Service... leaves family stranded

1 hour ago, clochette said:

I have gotten numerous emails on changes/updates in requirements in terms of vaccines/testing as well as passport needs, I do have 2 cruises booked.  

Me as well.  I have received them about fleet wide changes as they happened. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Amanda Mingard said:

I would caution anyone booking with a company that has no customer service, no accountability to their policies or employee training on land, let alone at Sea.

To me, this is a fair statement, regardless of who's to blame. Be very cautious that you cover all your bases when so much is at stake. Always Caveat Emptor. We were on a transatlantic last month, and kept checking to be sure we were complaint. Knew to have a backup plan, because a positive test would prevent boarding. I wonder why one parent didn't stay behind and take the child home, and let the rest of the family ,board and have a good time. Whether or not the original poster is partially responsible for her family's predicament, can't be proven or disproven. Royal's customer service is pretty sketchy at times, that is for sure!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, goldfish65 said:

Royal's customer service is pretty sketchy at times, that is for sure!

Can't agree more!  But, when you get a good one, a professional one, a fully trained one, and a caring one, it's almost impossible to talk to him or her again.  I'm guessing Royal's, et al, turnover rate is high! 

For me, it's all about the on-board experience and I have very little complaint about the on-board service.  

11 minutes ago, goldfish65 said:

... I wonder why one parent didn't stay behind and take the child home, and let the rest of the family ,board and have a good time...

Probably so taken aback by what happened... or some people do not feel safe traveling alone. Or alone with a small child?

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

I wonder if getting the child vaccinated that day was an option. 

Probably not because it takes a while for the vaccine to be fully effective. When cruising resumed, people had to have received the vaccine at least 14 days prior to boarding.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Although I do have some sympathy for situations like this, I’m always amazed at somebody who all of a sudden finds Cruise Critic to complain. As others have said, the rules for TA’s are pretty clear. I am a 71 yo solo traveler, and I just got off the Wonder. I checked, and rechecked almost daily on the rules. I have NEVER depended on anyone to tell me what I needed for my cruise. Rules were posted and emails were sent out. I remember some had to change plans because vax rules changed from 12 and over, to 5 and over.

So when 2000, 3000, 4000 people know the rules and a couple don’t, where is the problem?

And if you’re spending a whole lot of money for a cruise, it’s always good to find a message board or social media site Before you cruise.

Edited by crzndeb
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

True or false.  Mis read or given wrong info.  Or saw older site or email regarding changes for future dates.    I noticed that the OP has 1 post here and hasn't ventured back.  Perhaps not getting the empathy sought?

Yup, OP has only the initial post and not answered any questions.     

Oh well, move on....

• Like 1

Posts like this are instructive but I suspect not in the way the OP intended.  My suspicion is that the OP came to CC because they are bitter with the outcome of their one and only experience with Royal and they hope to dissuade anyone from cruising on Royal.  They want a little bit of vengeance. They were wronged and they want to extract a pound of flesh.

Unfortunately, coming to a forum primarily populated by people who are experienced cruiser and who are mostly loyal to the brand is unlikely receive the response they intended or desired.  Hence the one and done post.

Had there been a lot of responses that began "Oh my word, this is awful. I'm cancelling my booking..." We would have seen a second post.  As it stands now this poster will never be heard from again.

However, It is instructive because for the rest of us it is reminder #4379 that where you are unclear or answers are changing or there is some degree of ambiguity make sure you get in writing all you need specific to your circumstances.

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

Posts like this are instructive but I suspect not in the way the OP intended.  My suspicion is that the OP came to CC because they are bitter with the outcome of their one and only experience with Royal and they hope to dissuade anyone from cruising on Royal.  They want a little bit of vengeance. They were wronged and they want to extract a pound of flesh.

Unfortunately, coming to a forum primarily populated by people who are experienced cruiser and who are mostly loyal to the brand is unlikely receive the response they intended or desired.  Hence the one and done post.

Had there been a lot of responses that began "Oh my word, this is awful. I'm cancelling my booking..." We would have seen a second post.  As it stands now this poster will never be heard from again.

However, It is instructive because for the rest of us it is reminder #4379 that where you are unclear or answers are changing or there is some degree of ambiguity make sure you get in writing all you need specific to your circumstances.

Also, it is a reminder of the value of cruise critic in general and of joining your roll call.  Had the poster mentioned unvax kiddo on a roll call, you can bet somebody would linked the FAQ.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

Also, it is a reminder of the value of cruise critic in general and of joining your roll call.  Had the poster mentioned unvax kiddo on a roll call, you can bet somebody would linked the FAQ.

Another good reason for your roll call.

• Like 5

Perhaps the agents on the phone failed to take into consideration that the age of the child at the time of the calls was different from the age the child would be by the time of the cruise, but that seems like an amateur mistake to make for a customer service rep.

• Like 1

Irregardless of how it happened, remember that family in Seattle, that were unable to board their cruise because they hadn't been tested? They made the news, and said they weren't informed. 

This is kind of worse because it was an international sailing. It would have behooved the OP to do her own research. But that is after the fact. "If" she had a TA, that is who I would hold accountable. It is sad, that the RC phone people, also make stuff up. (Can you say uniformed or lazy?) But they do it onboard, too. 

A long time ago we actually had an accredited TA, that gave us the wrong information and had to use their Errors & Omissions insurance to rectify the situation. And that was what was essentially an administrative hearing at the agency. 

Edited by Coralc

25 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

At least the family did get to tour Europe for 3 weeks prior to their sailing.

Hopefully the sailing was booked with Kids sail free sale if they cannot get a refund.

Yeah, three weeks in Europe before the cruise sounds nice, though the timing is interesting.  Is this a US family?  At least with US vaccines, 2 shots are required for kids 5-11 with at least 3 weeks between Pfizer (4 weeks Moderna, so if that was the available shot, it would be worse; J&J is for adults).  So, for the kiddo to get two shots before leaving for Europe, the first shot would have to have been administered a bit more than 6 weeks before the cruise (yet the date given for the phone call to customer service was 31 days before the cruise, so the call was way too late).  That would be cutting it close, long flight with a kid you just got the second shot.  Not ideal.  Even if they wanted to get that 2nd shot while actually traveling in Europe, to have both shots plus the required 14 days, they needed to start at least 5 weeks before the cruise.  So, that Oct 8 phone call was made too late to get family in ship; all they could have done is change their plans.  There is a chance the phone calls were an effort to shift blame when it was too late.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ARandomTraveler said:

I have 

Same here. We have cruised with RCI on nine cruises since March. With each cruise they have emailed us the current protocols for boarding. No issues here with their IT. I do feel for the OP but there is usually more to the story. Since I was not able to hear the conversation between them and the cruise line I will refrain from commenting one way or the other. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Amanda Mingard said:

We were scheduled to cruise November 8th from Barcelona to Barbados with our 3 kids 1, 4 and 6. Because this was a transatlantic cruise, there was confusion on their website about pre-testing/vaccination requirements. 

Your situation would have been easily avoided if you took the time to read the information sent by the cruise line and specifically the travel requirements on the RCCL home page. Your failure to adhere to written policies resulted in your denial of boarding. You were prompted at check-in to ensure that you met the requirements of the cruise. 

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/will-i-have-to-take-a-test-before-i-cruise

For Transatlantic Cruises

All guests age 5 and older must bring a negative test result for a COVID-19 test taken within 2 days before boarding day.

The test you take must be supervised by a health professional, such as a doctor, pharmacy technician, public health worker, or telehealth professional. Telehealth testing at home is accepted for vaccinated guests, and must be conducted under live video supervision. Tests must be arranged on your own and are at your own expense.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/what-vaccines-are-required-to-travel-on-a-cruise

Guests age 5 and older must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 in order to sail:

• Transatlantic Sailings from Europe

Vaccines that are fully approved or authorized for emergency use by the World Health Organization (with the exception of CanSino), and the European Medicines Agency (EMA), will be accepted by the ports we sail to. For guests sailing from Australia, vaccines must be approved by the Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA).

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Starry Eyes said:

Yeah, three weeks in Europe before the cruise sounds nice, though the timing is interesting.  Is this a US family?  At least with US vaccines, 2 shots are required for kids 5-11 with at least 3 weeks between Pfizer (4 weeks Moderna, so if that was the available shot, it would be worse; J&J is for adults).  So, for the kiddo to get two shots before leaving for Europe, the first shot would have to have been administered a bit more than 6 weeks before the cruise (yet the date given for the phone call to customer service was 31 days before the cruise, so the call was way too late).  That would be cutting it close, long flight with a kid you just got the second shot.  Not ideal.  Even if they wanted to get that 2nd shot while actually traveling in Europe, to have both shots plus the required 14 days, they needed to start at least 5 weeks before the cruise.  So, that Oct 8 phone call was made too late to get family in ship; all they could have done is change their plans.  There is a chance the phone calls were an effort to shift blame when it was too late.

Exactly, the TA crossing sailed from Barcelona on Oct 30th for a 12 day cruise to Barbados.  

If you google her name, they are a US family.

I'm not too sure she specifically told the phone reps she was a doing a TA crossing from Europe when she called them.    

She definitely did not look on royals website for TA requirements.   

Oh well, their loss and hopefully she is at least reading responses to her post and learned what she should have done.

Edited by Sunshine3601
  • Like 2

Honestly, I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often with all the changes in requirements and differing requirements for various sailings.  While its easy to say its totally their fault, I have some sympathy for them.  

We just completed the Odyssey's transatlantic and leading up to the cruise, we had nervousness about this very thing.  The website had conflicting sentences in different areas defining "fully vaccinated", one stating that if you had the 2 doses plus a booster, you were fully vaccinated and another saying you had to have the booster within the last 11 months.  We were also concerned about the logistics of getting tested but we were able to to the online testing in our hotel.  My fear was getting stuck in Rome and having to fly home at full fare costing big bucks.

All was fine and we weren't even asked for proof of vaccination, just verbal confirmation.  We did have to show proof of the proctored negative test.  I was surprised at not having to show proof of vax, but maybe the rules of have changed or maybe our records from previous cruises reflect it.

Our ship did have a few COVID cases, about 10 in total according to the captain.

Edited by Tenderpaw
  • Like 1

I haven't read every post in this thread, especially the last 3 pages.  But, I get the sense that some folks think that just because some of us know not to trust the "Phone Answerers" at the mother ship, we are giving them a pass.  Nothing could be further from the truth.  I wish we could calls and get accurate information.  But, the fact are the facts and the bottom line is that most of us are willing to be self-reliant and get the information from other official sources.  Believe me, I'm not quiet about the "Phone Answerers" at the mother ship.  I do what I can to inform Captain Kirk and Dr. Spock of the issues with the "Phone Answerers", call and ask for management, emails, surveys, etc.  Hasn't changed one bit.  So, we need to do our best at being self-reliant until things change, if ever, and my hope level isn't peaked, at all.   

Edited by Ret MP
  • Like 1

We were recently on the Odyssey TA. Prior to the cruise we received several emails about protocols. Below is one of them. I would think that the OP would have received the same for her cruise. 

ABOUT YOUR UPCOMING TRAVELS

Dear Guest,

We’re excited to welcome you onboard for our Odyssey of the Seas Transatlantic sailing. Before you head to the cruise terminal, we wanted to clarify our requirements for our sailing.

Since we’re sailing on a Transatlantic itinerary, all guests 5 and older must be fully vaccinated, with the last dose of their primary vaccine regimen received no less than 14 days prior to sailing. Guests between the ages of 1-4 can sail, regardless of their vaccination status.

Additionally, all guests ages 5 and older must provide a negative test result in order to sail. 

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation. We look forward to seeing you onboard soon!

Sincerely,

Royal Caribbean International

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise
  • Like 3

I'm not unsympathetic for what must have been a very expensive mistake. It's very unfortunate, even if this poster apparently didn't get, didn't pay attention to, or didn't comprehend the emails. I can believe they made phone calls and were given incorrect information. Unfortunately that's been my experience when I have called Royal. Contrast with calling Disney for example, where I have found the reps to be on point and very aware of suggestions specific to my needs. Higher ups at corporate are fine, but the call center workers are seriously lacking in understanding the product they are servicing. I would only expect that to get worse as finances tighten.