Circular Quay to Airport - Are There Taxi's or Can You Arrange Uber

The ship's transfer from the cruise port to the airport is full.  I know that unlike other cruise terminals you don't have the parking area that typically has lots of taxi's from the cruise port.  Can anyone suggest where after you depart the cruise in Sydney you go to catch a taxi or make arrangments for an UBER to pick you up.  I would try the train but we will each have 1 large suitcase plus a carry one and I would thinnk that to be quite a hassle. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Longwood50 said:

The ship's transfer from the cruise port to the airport is full.  I know that unlike other cruise terminals you don't have the parking area that typically has lots of taxi's from the cruise port.  Can anyone suggest where after you depart the cruise in Sydney you go to catch a taxi or make arrangments for an UBER to pick you up.  I would try the train but we will each have 1 large suitcase plus a carry one and I would thinnk that to be quite a hassle. 

There were plenty of taxis picking up people when we disembarked other week  but no idea if pre booked. we booked princess transfers early but there were at least 3 coaches - are they taking names on board as if enough they might put extra on???). 

1 hour ago, Longwood50 said:

When you exit the terminal turn left and take the elevator to the top floor.(Level 3 I think) That's where the taxi rank is. There are normally lots of taxis waiting.

https://www.portauthoritynsw.com.au/cruise/cruising-faq/overseas-passenger-terminal/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Longwood50 said:

Uber is easy. Wait until you are outside the terminal then book it. It will pull into the pick-up/drop-off area.

11 hours ago, TommyH2006 said:

When you exit the terminal turn left and take the elevator to the top floor.(Level 3 I think) That's where the taxi rank is. There are normally lots of taxis waiting.

https://www.portauthoritynsw.com.au/cruise/cruising-faq/overseas-passenger-terminal/

Or you walk across to the train station and take a taxi from the roadside rank there.  So much cheaper.  Of course there are shuttles outside the terminal, too, that take you to the airport and do not require pre-booking.  Just walk up and join.

7 hours ago, Port Power said:

Or you walk across to the train station and take a taxi from the roadside rank there.  So much cheaper.  Of course there are shuttles outside the terminal, too, that take you to the airport and do not require pre-booking.  Just walk up and join.

Are you saying that a taxi from outside the railway station would be cheaper than one outside the OPT? If so, why? Are there shuttle buses (other than the cruiseline's) outside the terminal? I ask because I haven't ever seen any waiting there.

2 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Are you saying that a taxi from outside the railway station would be cheaper than one outside the OPT? If so, why? Are there shuttle buses (other than the cruiseline's) outside the terminal? I ask because I haven't ever seen any waiting there.

Yes, taxis are cheaper from the station.  I think it’s because there is a levy for taxis at the OPT, but not certain.  We took a taxi from there after finding there was no train due to line maintenance.

Private shuttles (mini buses) with their luggage trailers are definitely outside the OPT.  I don’t think the driver is allowed to come right to the doorway to tout for passengers any more, but they are out there at the end of the driveway (city end).

Just now, Port Power said:

Yes, taxis are cheaper from the station.  I think it’s because there is a levy for taxis at the OPT, but not certain.  We took a taxi from there after finding there was no train due to line maintenance.

Private shuttles (mini buses) with their luggage trailers are definitely outside the OPT.  I don’t think the driver is allowed to come right to the doorway to tout for passengers any more, but they are out there at the end of the driveway (city end).

I know there is a levy on taxis using the airport, but I am dubious about your suggestion of a levy applying at the OPT.🙂 Graham (gbenjo) would know. We have caught taxis many times from the airport or from the cruise terminal and the fare varies by several dollars depending on many factors other than a levy.

Just got off Majestic this morning, easy to take a taxi from the OPT: as soon as you walk out of terminal you turn back on yourself to the left, back up in lift to level 3, where there was a long line of taxis waiting. Cost to T3 was $79, which included a $10 surcharge for the port.

I'd intended to take the train from Circular Quay but wasn't sure how I'd go with changing at Central, due to maintenance, with luggage etc, so decided a taxi was the easy option! An hour after walking out of my cabin, I was through security at the airport, let's hope rest of the day goes as smoothly 🤞

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I know there is a levy on taxis using the airport, but I am dubious about your suggestion of a levy applying at the OPT.🙂 Graham (gbenjo) would know. We have caught taxis many times from the airport or from the cruise terminal and the fare varies by several dollars depending on many factors other than a levy.

I don’t know if there is a levy or fee or not.   I just know that the taxi fare from the station was $36 compared to $60 from outside the OPT a few years ago.  We compared with others when at the airport.  Perhaps it was due to a more direct route. But these were the fares at that time.

3 minutes ago, Ange45 said:

Just got off Majestic this morning, easy to take a taxi from the OPT: as soon as you walk out of terminal you turn back on yourself to the left, back up in lift to level 3, where there was a long line of taxis waiting. Cost to T3 was $79, which included a $10 surcharge for the port.

I'd intended to take the train from Circular Quay but wasn't sure how I'd go with changing at Central, due to maintenance, with luggage etc, so decided a taxi was the easy option! An hour after walking out of my cabin, I was through security at the airport, let's hope rest of the day goes as smoothly 🤞

Thanks for your post. You have confirmed that there is a levy for taxis using the OPT taxi rank.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Thanks for your post. You have confirmed that there is a levy for taxis using the OPT taxi rank.

I just did a google search and the only levy I could find is the airport one of $5.10 other than the tempory $1 passenger service levy. We have been charged a different amount each time we have used a taxi to or from the airport. I think it depends which way the driver goes.

Edited by possum52

1 hour ago, Ange45 said:

I see you're new to CC.  Welcome!  💐

Just now, Bubbeh said:

I see you're new to CC.  Welcome!  💐

Good that everything went smoothly for you disembarking from Majestic this morning.  As beatleman said, just ask Circular Quay train staff which circle train goes direct to the airport then, when you get on at the correct platform at Circular Quay, you don't have to change trains at Central. 

Interesting to know there is a $10 surcharge on taxis from the port.

Did you enjoy your cruise on Majestic?

4 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Good that everything went smoothly for you disembarking from Majestic this morning.  As beatleman said, just ask Circular Quay train staff which circle train goes direct to the airport then, when you get on at the correct platform at Circular Quay, you don't have to change trains at Central. 

Interesting to know there is a $10 surcharge on taxis from the port.

Did you enjoy your cruise on Majestic?

You do need to change trains at Central today. Trackwork on City Circle has trains running in one direction only. That requires a swap at Central, but only to walk to the other side of the platform.

I cannot find information online whether or not a taxi rank levy applies at the OPT. The levy at the airport is $5.10. If there is a levy at the OPT, I doubt that it would be $10 but I am inclined to think there is no levy. Is it possible that a taxi driver told his passengers there is a $10 levy and collected the money himself??😁

10 hours ago, Port Power said:

Te train station is overhead and the road below is shops and light rail station No Taxi or traffic.   Taxi are available at OPT on the top level , as you leave the building there is a elevator in the left and staff to direct you .

1 hour ago, beatleman said:

Best way is a short walk to Circular Quay Train Station, ask staff which platform for Airport you will be there in 20 minutes, cost about $19aud per person. You do not have to transfer at Central. Easy and direct and out of the OPT speedily.

Op has luggage and dose not want to walk 600 m across uneven groumd to a extremely overpriced train ??? . Taxi are available top level OPT via elevator .

10 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I cannot find information online whether or not a taxi rank levy applies at the OPT. The levy at the airport is $5.10. If there is a levy at the OPT, I doubt that it would be $10 but I am inclined to think there is no levy. Is it possible that a taxi driver told his passengers there is a $10 levy and collected the money himself??😁

There is a levy or toll if they use the Cross City Tunnel, not sure how much, but this may explain extras.

1 hour ago, arxcards said:

You do need to change trains at Central today. Trackwork on City Circle has trains running in one direction only. That requires a swap at Central, but only to walk to the other side of the platform.

I had to walk to the other side of the platform at Central from Parramatta for the circle train via Circular Quay, when I went to the Airport.  That is so easy compared to changing platforms. Station staff are there with ramps to help you with luggage 

On 11/19/2022 at 9:31 AM, Longwood50 said:

Forget about the argument raging about taxi fares. You have been answered by @TommyH2006 and others that there are plenty of taxis available, and that uber is also available.  I hope you enjoyed your cruise and have an easy ride to the airport.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, beatleman said:

There is a levy or toll if they use the Cross City Tunnel, not sure how much, but this may explain extras.

I realise there is a toll if the taxi uses the tunnel, but this applies to taxis that pick up passengers at the OPT or near Central Railway Station.