Ship Time

end753

4 hours ago, end753 said:

We are on Wonder of the Seas in Feb, does anyone know if thy stay on Port Canaveral time, or if it changes?  Trying to decided what dinner time works best for us.  TIA!

The ship will change to match local time in your ports of call. 

5 hours ago, end753 said:

We are on Wonder of the Seas in Feb, does anyone know if thy stay on Port Canaveral time, or if it changes?  Trying to decided what dinner time works best for us.  TIA!

I've cruised Royal, Carnival and MSC out of several Florida ports plus NOLA and Galveston. Been on Eastern, Western and Southern (ABC islands) Caribbean cruises and the Captain has Never changed ship time to match local time. Always heard the warning to check your watch not your cell phone for the ship's time when ashore.

The only times I experienced ship time changes to match local time was on Med cruises and a TA.

I understand I might experience a change of ship's time on my upcoming "Mexican Riviera" cruise out of San Pedro. We shall see.

I've been on cruises where they have changed times and not changed times on the same cruise. They do let you know if and when the times change. The problem is if you have or wear devices that automatically change the time to the local time. You have to be aware of what is going on.

• Like 1

I was on the 11/6 Anthem sailing that was rerouted due to Nicole.  

So on departure day, Sunday, we already turned the clocks back an hour to standard time.  Weds. night, ship's time went ahead an hour for our five hour stop in the Dominican Republic.  Two days later we went back to EST.

LOL

Edited by 3CatsInMA

16 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

The ship will change to match local time in your ports of call. 

I have cruised out of Florida ports over 50 times on Caribbean cruises and I have yet to be on a ship/cruise that changes the time to match the local time. The ship has always stayed on the time of the embarkation port. It may be common from other ports, but not from Florida ports, which is where Wonder will be based. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

Not always. Changing times is at the sole discretion of the captain. I have been on cruises where the captain does not change the ship time to local time.

16 hours ago, njkruzer said:

Sometimes yes and sometimes no.  Follow instructions. 

One of the things that amazes me about CC (but shouldn't) is how some posters just blurt out 100% wrong answers to questions over and over again.

• Like 1

In regard to the OP's sailing on the Wonder, none of the Wonder's current itineraries have involved a need to change time from current Eastern Standard Time.  but the best time for the OP's cruise dining is the My Time Dining option. for hours between 6:30 and 9PM.  Otherwise, the seated dining is either 5:30 or 8PM.

I'm on Symphony right now and was just told at dinner to make sure we pay attention to the ship time when we go to Cozumel because it'll be different than the local time. 

For all other ports we're staying on the Eastern time zone (costa Maya, Roatan and coco cay). I guess maybe Cozumel isn't in the eastern time zone.

*I just looked it up and it sounds like Cozumel is in the eastern time zone, but doesn't observe daylight savings time, so maybe that's why right now (in November) the time on the island is different than the time in Florida (which is eastern). I have no idea, but I do know we were told to make sure we didn't use the island clocks when in Cozumel, meaning the ship time stays the same throughout the cruise, even though we'll be sailing in a different time zone. 

Edited by ARandomTraveler

23 hours ago, wikoffclan said:

I've cruised Royal, Carnival and MSC out of several Florida ports plus NOLA and Galveston. Been on Eastern, Western and Southern (ABC islands) Caribbean cruises and the Captain has Never changed ship time to match local time. Always heard the warning to check your watch not your cell phone for the ship's time when ashore.

The only times I experienced ship time changes to match local time was on Med cruises and a TA.

I understand I might experience a change of ship's time on my upcoming "Mexican Riviera" cruise out of San Pedro. We shall see.

Shoot I did 27nites on Royal last Month and we changed Ship to Local 4 times just here. Over last 35yrs, many times

30 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Shoot I did 27nites on Royal last Month and we changed Ship to Local 4 times just here. Over last 35yrs, many times

Same here. I have been on numerous cruises out of numerous ports (including Florida) where ship time was changed to match port time. They typically put a little notification card on your pillow telling you to set your clock forward or backward as needed.

Edited by time4u2go
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, time4u2go said:

Same here. I have been on numerous cruises out of numerous ports (including Florida) where ship time was changed to match port time. They typically put a little notification card on your pillow telling you to set your clock forward or backward as needed.

Funny thing was as part of Panama Canal Cruise in 27 Days Ship Changed Clocks total 11 times in 27 days. Was getting Jet lag. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ARandomTraveler said:

I'm on Symphony right now and was just told at dinner to make sure we pay attention to the ship time when we go to Cozumel because it'll be different than the local time. 

For all other ports we're staying on the Eastern time zone (costa Maya, Roatan and coco cay). I guess maybe Cozumel isn't in the eastern time zone.

*I just looked it up and it sounds like Cozumel is in the eastern time zone, but doesn't observe daylight savings time, so maybe that's why right now (in November) the time on the island is different than the time in Florida (which is eastern). I have no idea, but I do know we were told to make sure we didn't use the island clocks when in Cozumel, meaning the ship time stays the same throughout the cruise, even though we'll be sailing in a different time zone. 

How's your cruise going? How's the Symphony? Will be sailing on her in a few weeks. 

18 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I have cruised out of Florida ports over 50 times on Caribbean cruises and I have yet to be on a ship/cruise that changes the time to match the local time. The ship has always stayed on the time of the embarkation port. It may be common from other ports, but not from Florida ports, which is where Wonder will be based. 

Hey, you didn’t happen to be on Explorer during the Series?  We watched with some rabid Phillies fans every night & had a blast!

On 11/20/2022 at 3:59 PM, end753 said:

It could depend on which itinerary you're on. But most likely you'll stay on ships time for the entire cruise (EST).  If you're concerned about dinner, just make the reservations dependent on what time your ship leaves each port.  Just keep in mind the posted sail times are based on the ship time, not port time. 

A word of caution...make sure you're Cell Phone is in "manual time" not "automatic update."  If the ship doesn't change time but the port is 1 hour behind, your Cell phone could update without you knowing, causing you to miss the ship.