Packing Question - Boots?

Roz

Flying to Amsterdam on Dec. 16 for a river cruise thru The Netherlands and Belgium; returning Dec. 27.  Have never been to Europe in winter.  Do I need to pack boots?  I was thinking of maybe buying some ankle boots that wouldn't take up too much space or weight in my suitcase.  

1 minute ago, Roz said:

Flying to Amsterdam on Dec. 16 for a river cruise thru The Netherlands and Belgium; returning Dec. 27.  Have never been to Europe in winter.  Do I need to pack boots?  I was thinking of maybe buying some ankle boots that wouldn't take up too much space or weight in my suitcase.  

It's unlikely you'll need anything more than some light (water resistant) ankle boots.

• Like 1

We were just in Helsinki for a few days. It was in the low 30s with occasional snow. Chris brought a pair of waterproof Merrel hikers for daytime and a pair of ankle boots for dressing up at dinner. They both worked well for her. 

Isn’t it wonderful that we ladies can now wear - suitably elegant and blinged up flat or slightly raised heel footwear without the what was requisite in my day 4inch (occasionally more) heels. My feet thank the fashionista’s  who helped the idea gain credence. 
p.s. sorry guys they went by the wayside along with dare I say it stockings.

Edited by Canal archive

I'm in England and the weather in Netherlands and Belgium is similar to here. It is impossible to predict the weather but cool and wet is to be expected. Snow is not unknown but not a regular occurrence. 

Waterproof footwear is recommended. Wear layers with a waterproof top coat as temperature will go up and down.

When we lived in London, we sometimes found black ice to be a problem on the sidewalks--overnight rain, then dipping below freezing before dawn.  We used a pair of ice cleats (an internet search will bring up many options and they are flat and easy to pack) to help with the grip.  Plus, of course, waterproof shoes or boots--I like lightweight hiking shoes.  (And stashed dress shoes in my desk to change into after the walk to work.)

On my Christmas Markets cruise - I wore Brooks Athletic shoes (Ghost line) which had Gor-tex so they kept my feet dry. Brooks Ghost GTX line (most Ghost don't have Gor-tex).

I don't think you need boots - you more need waterproof shoes. So if you want to buy regular waterproof shoes or boots, your choice.

Merrell and Keen make some short boots I have bought for shoveling snow and walking around locally where I live.

Edited by Coral

I'm concerned about walking long distances in waterproof footwear.  Does that type of boot or shoe offer enough foot support, and will I get blisters?  What kind of stores sell waterproof footwear?

2 hours ago, Roz said:

I'm concerned about walking long distances in waterproof footwear.  Does that type of boot or shoe offer enough foot support, and will I get blisters?  What kind of stores sell waterproof footwear?

I have a pair of New Balance waterproof shoes, style 1300. They fit like my NB walking shoes (although I went up a 1/2 size). They fit my orthotics , and come in multiple widths. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Roz said:

Roz - I love my Brooks athletic shoes. I have a pair I take on vacation just for rain that are water proof.

Here is a link - most running shoe places (and others - not low ends like Famous Footwear) will carry Brooks thought I don't know if they will carry GTX line. You can also order them from Zappos and return them if you don't like them. I can wear these day 1 with out blisters. I just bought a pair on Nov 2 and wore them on a Nov 4th trip. They are sneakers and feel like it. Brooks just came out with Ghost 15 but I don't think they have the Gore-tex version out in 15 yet. The GTX means goretex (waterproof).

https://www.brooksrunning.com/en_us/ghost-14-gtx-womens-cushion-running-shoe/120355.html.  

Zappos:

https://www.zappos.com/p/brooks-ghost-14-gtx-black-blackened-pearl-aquaglass/product/9515354/color/913593 

Otherwise - Scheels, Dick's, Cabbelas and Bass Pro are good places. Or any outdoor outfitter will carry Merrell and Keen.  I would try to go to a Bass Pro or Dick's if you have one close by. These are all somewhat high end brands (but under $200) but these are all great shoes and will last a long time.

Also cool thing about Zappos is free delivery and free returns. So you can order several pairs and try them in your home and then return them easily (UPS Store, etc..)

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Roz said:

Roz,

I have picky feet with a high arch and need support, I have used Dansko waterproof lace up ankle boots on many Christmas Market cruises and trips.  I think Keen are cheaper but do not fit my feet.

• Like 1

Not sure what you mean by needing boots. Would they be for snow, rain or warmth. Based on our Christmas Market cruise, there was no snow in early Dec., only a little wet at times and rather mild temperatures.  So needing boots is weather depended. Now if you only knew the weather for your dates, you would know the answer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mozfoz said:

Not sure what you mean by needing boots. Would they be for snow, rain or warmth. Based on our Christmas Market cruise, there was no snow in early Dec., only a little wet at times and rather mild temperatures.  So needing boots is weather depended. Now if you only knew the weather for your dates, you would know the answer.

I agree - I think waterproof regular shoes is what is needed.

• Like 1

ROZ, Sketchers makes several waterproof shoes and low boots.  I ordered a pair of waterproof sneakers and they are light and as comfy as all the sketchers I own.  I will also be taking a pair of low waterproof hiking shoes.  I figured if we have lots of rain, it might be good to have more than one pair for day use.  

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, rslinky said:

ROZ, Sketchers makes several waterproof shoes and low boots.  I ordered a pair of waterproof sneakers and they are light and as comfy as all the sketchers I own.  I will also be taking a pair of low waterproof hiking shoes.  I figured if we have lots of rain, it might be good to have more than one pair for day use.  

I think you only need one waterproof pair. They will stay dry even if it is raining (and we did have rain on my Christmas market trip). I just wore my Brooks through 2 days of rain in London. My feet were the only part of me that stayed dry!

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

When I was still able to walk well for any distance my Gortex Italian hiking/walking boots traveled on the plane on my feet although they don’t really weigh that much it was that little itty bitty amount saved out of the suitcase. Going through customs on one early April cruise one year we changed airlines at Schiphole airport I was wearing my Timberland waterproof furry lined ankle boots for a change, they nearly caused a riot with the Dutch security ladies they had never seen them before and were all fans of Timberland - quickest I’ve passed through customs ever apart from those lovely ladies.

• Like 2

On 11/29/2022 at 11:04 AM, Roz said:

After buying and returning many boots, I bought a pair of Ryka insulated ankle boots.  They are so comfortable, feel more like sneakers than boots and are lightweight.  I have many issues with my feet and these feel great.  They are labeled 'water repellent'.  Not sure what that means, so I sprayed them with waterproof spray.  Wearing tomorrow on our flight to Budapest!

• Like 2

These are what I use.  They fit perfectly over my favourite running (okay, walking) shoes and keep my feet nice and toasty and dry.  They come with a carry bag and fold flat for traveling.  The soles have a good tread so you don’t slip and slide.  Best investment ever.

DA21EE48-432B-4277-8636-C1D0ED6F4600.thumb.jpeg.c7fc5db5436538ca635fb2bdd8438c9f.jpeg