Soot of the Seas

JoeD67

Just got off Wonder and stayed in a suite.   The ship is beautiful and definitely improves on prior Oasis designs in many ways.     Except… Suite experiences (in my opinion)

The suite sun deck has a great layout with many great features; the biggest problem?  Everything is covered in soot from the exhaust.   The chairs look like they are 20 years old.   You have to cover them with towels 100% to prevent the soot from getting on and staining your clothing.  The hot tub/pool chairs are covered too with little pieces floating in the water.     About halfway through the cruise we just stopped using the space because it’s just so dirty.    We ruined a few pieces of clothing from particulate landing on it and leaving a greasy smudges.   Also started thinking about how much we were inhaling while there.   

It’s a great concept, but I think RCL should tried to build out a similar area in the original Oasis-class suite sun deck area.   I believe they are aware of the issue but there is nothing they can do.   I would wager Utopia does not share this design - unless it has LNG propulsion like ICON.  

The odd thing… compared to other, older RCL ships Soot, I mean Wonder of the Seas puts out far less smoke in port.

• Like 1

Icon I think it is being converted to LNG. The one being built.

Carnival mardi gras and the next and jubilee and one for princess and p and O all being built with LNG. 

Try and suite cabana on mardi gras .. 

Ships are already changing over. Rcl slower.

4 minutes ago, ScubaCat3 said:

Sounds like a nasty problem. Is the soot only on the suite sun deck or is it also on the suite balconies?

I have a cruise scheduled for Wonder next year. If the balcony is also a problem I may consider changing ships.

Soot is a problem on any ship; the issue is where the stacks are relative to the Suite Sun Deck on Wonder.   It’s 1 deck higher than older oasis ships and it’s right behind the stacks.  I was in Anthem years ago and the top deck was covered in flakes.  

Our loft balcony on Wonder had traces of it but no big deal.   The suite sun deck is horrible and has to be an issue given the premium experience they are going for.   

I didn’t complain because nothing to be done - design flaw.   I just won’t go on her again in a suite.   No issue going back in a cheap room as it’s a great ships. 

I have photos I’ll try to post so you get an idea.  

16 minutes ago, footzz said:

They 'could' offer discounted laundry services for suite guests that use that sun deck.

That’s actually funny.  Knowing RCL they won’t actually acknowledge it.  Especially since they can’t fix it.    It’s an oily substance and it doesn’t come out.  It’s such a shame because it’s a beautiful space otherwise - except it’s toxic.  🙂

Sorry I disagree, soot was only an issue once we had the medical emergency and were running all five engines at full speed to get to San Juan and then back on course.  We spent everyday for many hours on the suite sun deck and soot wasn't an issue until then.  That being said, we didn't like the location compared to other Oasis class ships we have been on.  The Wonder suite sun deck overlooks the sports deck which generates a lot of noise and competing music.  For this reason I wouldn't book another Wonder and would go back to the older Oasis class ships that are much more calm and quite on the suite sun deck.  The hot tub and water feature don't make up the difference.  Plus, both hot tub/pool were hot and weren't a place to cool off if it got hot, which it did.    

Edited by ATSEAMYLIFE
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

Sorry I disagree, soot was only an issue once we had the medical emergency and were running all five engines at full speed to get to San Juan and then back on course.  We spent everyday for many hours on the suite sun deck and soot wasn't an issue until then.  That being said, we didn't like the location compared to other Oasis class ships we have been on.  The Wonder suite sun deck overlooks the sports deck which generates a lot of noise and competing music.  For this reason I wouldn't book another Wonder and would go back to the older Oasis class ships that are much more calm and quite on the suite sun deck.  The hot tub and water feature don't make up the difference.  Plus, both hot tub/pool were hot and weren't a place to cool off if it got hot, which it did.    

So all those soot stains are from the few hours at “full steam?”   🙂.   Right.

I do agree with you on the location.  They created a really nice space and ruined it with the location.  Even the lounge and coastal kitchen are impacted.  Once nice views on older ships are replaced by sports deck views   Check out this photo from the lounge.  Looking through a net and backboard.  Ugh. 

Meanwhile the old Suite Sun Deck is a complete waste of space.  😞

D0ECE311-500D-4C7D-BA6E-872C22D9CA84.jpeg

Edited by JoeD67
  • Like 1

I'm a huge proponent of going back to the old Viking Crown Lounge.  Wonder and Icon both seem to have the structure for it, and they just didn't build it.

I don't get why they're so hell bent on eliminating it.

I've mentioned before that I felt Wonder and Odyssey both generated far more soot than the other RCI ships I've been on.  No idea why.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

Yeah that's possible and understandable. Be interesting see what area looked like week before. Dont know if it's luck or Ships I go on but cant remember having Soot issue in last 20+ yrs

9 hours ago, JoeD67 said:

The odd thing… compared to other, older RCL ships Soot, I mean Wonder of the Seas puts out far less smoke in port.

Soot is a problem on any ship. We were on the Quantum of the Seas to Alaska earlier this year in a aft-facing loft suite and I would go out and wipe down the railing, chairs, and table every morning before sitting and having my morning coffee. Our loft attendants (you get two stewards to make up your room), washed and cleaned the balcony morning and evening, but it was still dirty by morning. 

Just off Wonder last month as well.   DH placed his cover up shorts on his lounger next to him while using the the small pool/sun deck.  Did not notice the soot on his shorts until he got back to the cabin. 

Soot actually ate a hole in his new shorts.  It was that bad.  They had to be tossed.  

Even worse...we breath that air up there.  What is it doing to our lungs when it can eat a hole in fabric?  

I never used that area for the whole four weeks we were on Wonder, due to soot, but never had a problem on our GS balcony.   Though I could see the billow of smoke from the stack on most days. 

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, island lady said:

Just off Wonder last month as well.   DH placed his cover up shorts on his lounger next to him while using the the small pool/sun deck.  Did not notice the soot on his shorts until he got back to the cabin. 

Soot actually ate a hole in his new shorts.  It was that bad.  They had to be tossed.  

Even worse...we breath that air up there.  What is it doing to our lungs when it can eat a hole in fabric?  

I never used that area for the whole four weeks we were on Wonder, due to soot, but never had a problem on our GS balcony.   Though I could see the billow of smoke from the stack on most days. 

This was my biggest concern.  I didn’t allow the family to go there after seeing how bad it was.  It wasn’t an isolated event     

At one point my wife handed her card to bar tender and a piece landed on her card!   🙂.    Wiped it off with hand, then needed a wet towel to get it off hand. Lol. 

I raised this not because I think RCL can do anything (they can’t) but so people

like us who book suites for the sun deck/coastal need to know they may want to avoid Wonder.    The ship is superior in  many ways to older oasis class but this is a massive issue (for us.)

Apparently it’s also an issue at the aqua theatre. People complained that the seats have spot on them and their clothes got stained - apparently they were offered free laundry but it could t get the stains out 🤷🏼‍♀️

11 minutes ago, JoeD67 said:

This was my biggest concern.  I didn’t allow the family to go there after seeing how bad it was.  It wasn’t an isolated event     

At one point my wife handed her card to bar tender and a piece landed on her card!   🙂.    Wiped it off with hand, then needed a wet towel to get it off hand. Lol. 

I raised this not because I think RCL can do anything (they can’t) but so people

like us who book suites for the sun deck/coastal need to know they may want to avoid Wonder.    The ship is superior in  many ways to older oasis class but this is a massive issue (for us.)

We still loved the Wonder, and Bucky still spent time up on the sun deck (so convenient to our cabin), but he tried to find an upwind spot up there...if possible.  If not, he simply relaxed on our balcony. 

I loved the layout of deck 17 with GS cabin/suite lounge/CK all on one deck.  Our cabin attendant, wait staff team,  and bartenders were fabulous!  

I was very much interested in using the suites sun deck when first boarding, but not doing so ....did not ruin my cruise in the least.  It was four wonderful weeks that went by too fast.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Donsyb said:

Apparently it’s also an issue at the aqua theatre. People complained that the seats have spot on them and their clothes got stained - apparently they were offered free laundry but it could t get the stains out 🤷🏼‍♀️

Wonder, unlike the other four sisters, does not have the web arm chairs in the Aqua theater.  It is all wooden benches on that ship.  

Thus....not just for comfort, but avoiding dirty or wet seats, we simply took a couple of pool towels with us there to sit on during show.  Problem solved.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Icon I think it is being converted to LNG. The one being built.

Carnival mardi gras and the next and jubilee and one for princess and p and O all being built with LNG. 

Try and suite cabana on mardi gras .. 

Ships are already changing over. Rcl slower.

RCL will follow what other cruise lines do, they never do anything first. Just takes some time.

9 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

Yeah that's possible and understandable. Be interesting see what area looked like week before. Dont know if it's luck or Ships I go on but cant remember having Soot issue in last 20+ yrs

Interesting, maybe you need to look harder with a clean white towel. It's most likely been there.

1 hour ago, sowhat said:

Nice clean suite area

P1200787.JPG

P1200788.JPG

P1200790.JPG

P1200793.JPG

That's really bad, guess now I'm in no rush to every sail on that ship. Thanks for the honest report and pictures.