Polaris hit by rouge wave

The Other Tom

2 minutes ago, Iloveketo said:

Unable to translate the article…

Per "Google Translate":

Investigation of very serious marine accident south of Cape Horn

The Norwegian Accident Investigation Board has decided to investigate the maritime accident with the passenger vessel Viking Polaris. On Tuesday 29 November 2022, the vessel was south of Cape Horn, when the ship was hit by a large wave and several windows to the passenger cabins were smashed. One passenger died and four others were injured.

Last updated: 01.12.2022

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

There was an incident with the Zodiac a few days before the ship was hit with the rogue wave. 4 people were injured, one lady with a bad broken leg. They decided to leave Antarctica and head back to Ushuaia to off load the injured pax. Plans were made to cruise the Chilean Fjords until the last day of the cruise. En route, the waves were monstrous in the Drake Passage and then the ship got hit. Many cabins got destroyed from broken windows, sea water flooded the cabins. I do not know the fatality happened during the Zodiac incident or when the ship was hit. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We did Antarctica several years with National Geographic (Lindblad). As cruise lines venture into wilder places, it is reasonable to expect that incidents will happen. We had a healthy young man break his hip climbing over rocks on the way to the Port Lockroy museum. The break was so serious that we went to the Chilean base and he was flown out. Zodiacs doing beach landings. Crossing the Drake Passage is not sailing the Med or the Caribbean. 

• Like 4

We’re currently on the Viking Octantis, crossing the Drake Passage on our way back to Ushuaia. It’s been extremely rough. Yesterday we encountered 25 foot swells and hurricane force winds. 
We’re so sorry to hear of the tragedy and misfortunes on the Polaris.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Chari910 said:

There was an incident with the Zodiac a few days before the ship was hit with the rogue wave. 4 people were injured, one lady with a bad broken leg. They decided to leave Antarctica and head back to Ushuaia to off load the injured pax. Plans were made to cruise the Chilean Fjords until the last day of the cruise. En route, the waves were monstrous in the Drake Passage and then the ship got hit. Many cabins got destroyed from broken windows, sea water flooded the cabins. I do not know the fatality happened during the Zodiac incident or when the ship was hit. 

It was reported that there was "an explosion" on the zodiac, which resulted in the woman's broken leg. Another passenger was thrown into the water but pulled in by crew. I have not read of any other injuries from that mishap. Since the woman was unable to be evacuated, the ship headed back  When the rogue wave struck, one passenger died and four more were injured.

• Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, sippican said:

It was reported that there was "an explosion" on the zodiac, which resulted in the woman's broken leg. Another passenger was thrown into the water but pulled in by crew. I have not read of any other injuries from that mishap. Since the woman was unable to be evacuated, the ship headed back  When the rogue wave struck, one passenger died and four more were injured.

For those of us not actually aboard the RHIB, until we know the facts, may I suggest using a more generic term of a "Zodiac incident" resulted in a pax sustaining a broken leg. An explosion can mean a multitude of things to different people, although I'll suggest most of us consider it a violent reaction that in a confined space, such as a RHIB, would result in greater injuries.

I have both used Rigid Hull Inflatable boats (RHIB) from Zodiac and a number of other manufacturers, and managed a large service station for way too many years. RHIB's have way more risks than traditional lifeboats/tenders, which is why they are not used on regular cruises. So injuries have a much higher probability, which is why I trained my crews in these boats almost daily.

The collars are pressurised PVC or PU, as most OEM's have moved on from Butyl. The collars are normally low pressure, from memory probably < 5 psi and have pressure relief valves in each compartment of the collar. The collars are also tested to 2x or 3x the working pressure, by blocking the relief valves during the annual test. If somebody punctured the inflatable collar, it is hardly an explosion. I also note on commercial boats, the entire collar will comprise 3 to 5 compartments, so if 1 fails, the remainder remain inflated.

Only other potential is the fuel system, which is a closed system from the tank(s) to the outboard(s). I've seen lots of fuel leaks, but not even a fire, and certainly not an explosion, which requires a fuel/air mixture between the LEL & UEL.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

17 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

For those of us not actually aboard the RHIB, until we know the facts, may I suggest using a more generic term of a "Zodiac incident" resulted in a pax sustaining a broken leg. An explosion can mean a multitude of things to different people, although I'll suggest most of us consider it a violent reaction that in a confined space, such as a RHIB, would result in greater injuries.

I have both used Rigid Hull Inflatable boats (RHIB) from Zodiac and a number of other manufacturers, and managed a large service station for way too many years. RHIB's have way more risks than traditional lifeboats/tenders, which is why they are not used on regular cruises. So injuries have a much higher probability, which is why I trained my crews in these boats almost daily.

The collars are pressurised PVC or PU, as most OEM's have moved on from Butyl. The collars are normally low pressure, from memory probably < 5 psi and have pressure relief valves in each compartment of the collar. The collars are also tested to 2x or 3x the working pressure, by blocking the relief valves during the annual test. If somebody punctured the inflatable collar, it is hardly an explosion. I also note on commercial boats, the entire collar will comprise 3 to 5 compartments, so if 1 fails, the remainder remain inflated.

Only other potential is the fuel system, which is a closed system from the tank(s) to the outboard(s). I've seen lots of fuel leaks, but not even a fire, and certainly not an explosion, which requires a fuel/air mixture between the LEL & UEL.

I chose to use the term as reported by passengers onboard (note the quotation marks).

Edited by sippican

21 hours ago, sippican said:

Who reported it as "an explosion" ?

The Polaris?

On 12/2/2022 at 5:38 AM, sippican said:

I chose to use the term as reported by passengers onboard (note the quotation marks).

I believe you posted previously that you are a Travel Agent, who if selling cruises should have a reasonable knowledge of the marine environment.

Do you consider it acceptable to put quotation marks around information that is potentially erroneous.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, RachelG said:

Explosion is probably not exactly accurate, but if one of the tubes ruptures, it is very quick and strong, sort of like an explosion

All depends on the severity of the rupture, as I have seen many small holes that take hours to deflate to collar.

Do you know the working pressure of the collars?

Perhaps the confusion is caused by the definition of explosion?  

This is totally unrelated to zodiacs but in my working life I was involved with the design and construction of Typhoon Lagoon Waterpark at Walt Disney World.  While testing the 6 foot diameter pipes that moved large amounts of water underground around the park, one of the joints ruptured connecting two truck long sections of the pipe. That event was referred to in the legal documents as an “explosive separation of the pipe.”

2 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Isn't it a bit presumptuous to shield people from a reality they would want to know about and let them assess the risks and dangers for themselves?

One person is very close to me and doesn’t understand why anyone would want to go to such an area with wild weather.  This same person thought I was crazy going on a Viking cruise based on the Sky incident.

There is nothing presumptuous about that.  It is the same reason why I don’t say the certain people what do you think about what (Biden or Trump) said the other day?  Simply put, I don’t want to hear their rant.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, oskidunker said:

That-ship does not have balcony's?  Looks like windows that would open. 

A little confused here, are you saying the windows in question on the Polaris, a person would be able to open and close them?  If so that would explain a lot.

7 minutes ago, Newleno said:

A little confused here, are you saying the windows in question on the Polaris, a person would be able to open and close them?  If so that would explain a lot.

Have no idea. Guessing. Never been on the ship