RCL Coffee Cards: Beware FALSE ADVERTISING!

70KToM

7 hours ago, Mikew0805 said:

Yes this has been ongoing for some time. I used to purchase this, and got around their non sense each and every sailing.

Pointing out the terms, conditions, and wording in the advertised item to the F&B mgr/Hotel Director worked every time for me. They would write on my card, and ask me not to say anything to other guests onboard. This was not a problem, as it is not my job to make sure other people are not being taken for a ride.

I do not have to worry about it anymore, since I use my loyalty vouchers for coffee now. 

That's what I do now. My wife and I are not huge drinkers so the vouchers we get per day more than cover any alcohol and coffee drinks we have. Use to buy the coffee card but not anymore.

1 minute ago, not-enough-cruising said:

The purpose of the post was to tip to ensure  to just one punch per drink. If they have ready punched your card twice, then tipping after that won’t get that one punch back. 
makes perfect sense 

As I said, I tip per drink so it would make no difference to me.  I seem to remember a thread from a couple of years ago where it was stated it was one punch per shot of espresso and that either Royal had said that in response to an email or was answered onboard by someone more senior than the barista.   I haven't assumed anything different.  Heck, even at 2 punches per med (grande), it's still cheaper than just buying it.  

It varies from employee to employee. I was on Odyessy and one of the baristas would do a one punch iced coffee but the other one would not.

Same goes for wait staff in speciality restaurants not using vouchers(or charging) when ordering with Diamond vouchers. I expected them to ring up the vouchers every time but they seemed to do it only about a 3rd of the time. Not that I am complaining.

Edited by wreckem2013
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, fweegy said:

Ahhhhh, the age old coffee card problem. This has been a ongoing RC problem since Noah made the ark. There isn't a established policy with RC concerning one punch vs. two. I've been on ships were a large was one punch and other ships were it was 2. I've even been on cruises where the morning dude charged one punch for a large and the afternoon guy charged two. It's a jungle out there folks, act accordingly.

Agree, nothing new unfortunately, Double Punches like many other things should be consistent Fleet wide.  Otherwise they will always be known as Royal Consistently Inconsistent

Edited by ONECRUISER

I shouldn't be surprised by this, but Royal hasn't fixed this issue yet? I bought the card for our Med cruise back in April 2017. Found out once on board that it was a punch per shot instead of per drink. When hubby drinks a quad soy latte, the card goes quickly.

When I returned from that cruise I emailed Royal about it. I printed out the verbiage from the website and and pointed out that they were not selling us a coffee drink with the card, but shots of espresso with everything else being irrelevant. Which, may I add, is idiotic. The espresso shot is the cheapest part of the latte! The soy or milk is way more expensive. I can't make the math make sense.

Anyway, I complained, they gave me $50 OBC to use on a future cruise and I never bought the card again. I think OP should complain as well. Everyone should. If we all do and get $50 for a $31 coffee card, surely they'll eventually make "policy" agree with what the website is selling? Okay. I know that's not going to happen, but it's a nice thought.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, rebeccac said:

I understand being upset by this, but a class action lawsuit over a $31 purchase (even IF you could win) just doesn't make sense.  Simply never buy the card again.  

I agree.  But the lawyer who would bring such a class action could pocket a million dollar fee while each class member would get a $31 refund.

I like the idea of individual complaints resulting in a refund of $50 of OBC--and then never buying the card again.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ocean Boy said:

And that is fine if you choose to. I don't see you accusing others of making no sense just because you see things differently.

I will sometimes tip baristas at the end of the cruise.  But I see no need to tip for every drink.  Tips are included in the price.  I have found the service to be just as good whether or not I tipped.  But everyone is free to handle tipping the way they see fit.  

6 minutes ago, basenji56 said:

I will sometimes tip baristas at the end of the cruise.  But I see no need to tip for every drink.  Tips are included in the price.  I have found the service to be just as good whether or not I tipped.  But everyone is free to handle tipping the way they see fit.  

I agree with you. 

• Like 1

On 12/3/2022 at 1:25 PM, Sunshine3601 said:

I go the diamond lounge for my free specialty coffees, no iced lattes, but make your own cappuccino or lattes with as many shots of espresso without using a voucher at their self serve machines. 

After day 2 and the machine is broken again they just send you down to cafe promenade for free coffee anyway 🤪

On 12/3/2022 at 10:28 PM, Ocean Boy said:

You tip per drink even though the tip is included in the price of the card. Some would say that makes no sense.

Well, some can think what they want.  We also tip on every D+ drink we get.  

8 hours ago, Deeliteful said:

Sorry to add to this but when it says speciality coffees does that include things like an Irish Coffee?

TIA

No, an irish coffee is not included because it contains alcohol.  The coffee card only covers specialty coffees that contain no alcohol.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

So?

The "free" D+ drinks also have tips already included for staff.  I never said we tip $1 per coffee drink when we bought the card.   I just said we tip $1 per coffee drink. Why does this bother you so much?  You do you.

Edited by BND