Driving to Fort Lauderdale

PRINCESS Sweet Pea

I wish I know a better place to post this!  We are planning to drive to the port, and want to use Marriott points to stay somewhere in Georgia, at Atlanta or just south.  I am trying to use the Marriott web site, but using it's search and maps is frustrating.  Does anyone here know of one of the nicest Marriott hotels to stay at.  We have plenty of Marriott credit to use, but want to avoid the downtown Atlanta locations with al of the traffic, and the crazy high parking fees there.

3 hours ago, PRINCESS Sweet Pea said:

I wish I know a better place to post this!  We are planning to drive to the port, and want to use Marriott points to stay somewhere in Georgia, at Atlanta or just south.  I am trying to use the Marriott web site, but using it's search and maps is frustrating.  Does anyone here know of one of the nicest Marriott hotels to stay at.  We have plenty of Marriott credit to use, but want to avoid the downtown Atlanta locations with al of the traffic, and the crazy high parking fees there.

I’d stay around Savanna, GA if it were me.  I’d check for Marriott’s in that area.  Or near Destin, FL.  Just for nice areas.

2 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

It would help to know where you are driving from.  If it’s a days drive to get below Atlanta, another four hours to Savannah won’t work.  And if they are planning to drive I75 south instead of I16 to I95…. EM

Yes, you’re right!  Op doesn’t say where they’re driving from. 

We have driven I75 from Lexington, KY and will try for Macon or Warner Robbins depending on traffic through Atlanta.  I know there are some Marriott affiliated hotels around the university exit in Macon.  But the further you can get past Macon the less you have to drive to get to Ft Lauderdale. 

Thanks!  I see that there is a new Springhill Suites Atlanta Northwest.  We wanted to get further than that.  But, the Springhill Suites at Macon is older.  It isn't getting great reviews.  Hate to use these nights for such cheap hotels!  But, staying at a JW or nice hotel in Atlanta means staying downtown.  That seems like such a pain!  And $40 - $50 for parking. 

Thanks!  Do you know.  Are they easy to get in and out, off I-75?  We would lean towards the JW over the Whitley, just because it is familiar, where the Whitley seems more, well, maybe unique.  I would hope either arnot too dated.   Is there anywhere to eat closeby, other than at the hotel?

My husband would just write off those parking fees, even though, to me, that is cutting into your so-called free night.  But, easy in and out, and dinner and breakfast, or at least good coffee. would be a big factor.   He is doing the driving! 

OMG!  But, based on our last experience, a few years ago.  95 was a nightmare and took, like,  forever.

I think we have it figured out.  We realized that we could use our nights to book at the Ritz Grand Lakes Orlando, since it is at cheaper rates off season.  We can stay and enjoy the warmer weather and palm trees for a couple nights before heading back home.  Can also go over to the JW there. This might really be worth the Parking and Resort Fees.   I've never lived the Ritz life!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PRINCESS Sweet Pea said:

OMG!  But, based on our last experience, a few years ago.  95 was a nightmare and took, like,  forever.

I think we have it figured out.  We realized that we could use our nights to book at the Ritz Grand Lakes Orlando, since it is at cheaper rates off season.  We can stay and enjoy the warmer weather and palm trees for a couple nights before heading back home.  Can also go over to the JW there. This might really be worth the Parking and Resort Fees.   I've never lived the Ritz life!

Off season is the best time to enjoy the Ritz life and if you're coming during our off season ~ go for it. I don't recall if you mentioned the time period but a pool will keep you cool if too hot. We're running in the lower 80's/high 70's right now depending on where you are in the state..

Thanks paradiselivin!   It is not often you see rates at 50000. points!  But after the Holidays in mid January, the rates seem lower.   I am thinking we will be very lucky if it hits 80'  So it might not be pool weather.   But, these new stupid nights they give out have an expiration date.  So we would have to travel down again in March to get warmer weather!    I think they are getting closer to having the waterslides ready at the JW too.

These resorts are all booked up on our way down before we board.   JW has a lot of nights booked up.  Wonder if they have something big going on?