Real ID requirement deadline extended…

zdad59

The US govt just extended the deadline requiring travel passengers to have a “Real ID”.    This will make things easier for me.    Now I can just get it with my drivers license renewal. 

The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) announced Monday the new deadline will be May 7, 2025, allowing Americans more time following delays caused by the COVID pandemic. The old cutoff was slated for May 3, 2023.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 39august said:

Anyone with a passport doesn't need a REAL ID. Those used to cost $20 here. Never got one. 

True.    But when simply traveling domestically, it makes it one less thing to carry.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, hrhdhd said:

Ridiculous. The act was passed in 2005. Twenty years (and probably more) to get compliant? 🤨

Obviously it has been a political issue. Good that every state at least offers it has an option.  
In IL it is not difficult to get one.  

Edited by jagoffee
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, dreamer321 said:

Last I checked, the Department of Homeland Security was a federal agency.

Except that it was the states who continuously rebelled against REAL ID and caused the first extensions, going back to 2017.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, zdad59 said:

The US govt just extended the deadline requiring travel passengers to have a “Real ID”.    This will make things easier for me.    Now I can just get it with my drivers license renewal. 

The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) announced Monday the new deadline will be May 7, 2025, allowing Americans more time following delays caused by the COVID pandemic. The old cutoff was slated for May 3, 2023.

Just another example of a government program that isn't on time or under budget

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

An Enhanced Driver's License is nice to use when my fishing boat crosses into Canadian waters on the Detroit River or Lake Erie.  It's been a few years but I think it was only $20 more than a Real ID.  I really don't like taking my passport fishing.

What's an enhanced drivers license?

9 minutes ago, Fly and Sail said:

What's an enhanced drivers license?

It's a driver's license that also serves as proof of citizenship for US citizens. They're only issued (currently) by 5 states along the Canadian border.

Michigan
Minnesota
New York
Vermont
Washington

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, markeb said:

It's a driver's license that also serves as proof of citizenship for US citizens. They're only issued (currently) by 5 states along the Canadian border.

Michigan
Minnesota
New York
Vermont
Washington

Interesting that Alaska isn't on the list. I think most people who travel regularly already have a passport and at least for U.S. citizens the extra passport card is an awesome feature, $160 for both. I'm actually jealous that they can get it.

The Global Entry card can also be used as Real ID.  I keep mine in my wallet.

The legislation that created this requirement was fraught with issues from the beginning, which is why it's taken so long, and I'll be surprised if the deadline doesn't get pushed back again for one reason or another.  People of all political stripes oppose it.  A famous example was ACLJ (evangelist Pat Robertson's conservative legal organization) standing with the ACLU in opposition at a press conference.

23 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Honestly if they hadn't made it so complicated. If you have a passport, which is supposedly the gold standard, you shouldn't need to produce your SSN and other things in addition just to get a stupid star on your driver's license.

The act of blending the 2 is what makes it complicated, as they have different purposes. A passport really is just an ID that verifies citizenship, with no regard for current or future state, county, or city residency, other than a current mailing address. A drivers license, besides the obvious driving part, is the most used identification for things requiring residency (voting, state taxes, homestead exemptions, insurance regulations, etc). A drivers license does not require citizenship, just have to be some sort of legal resident. So you are combining the legal requirements of the US government for citizenship and adding whatever individual requirements the states have to prove residency and address. For many people the state requirements are much tougher to meet, especially those who do not own a home,  have their name on a lease, or have utility bills in their names.