Princess cancelled our Medallion order

larrybritt

We are just three weeks until we board and just got a email that our medallion order was canceled, and we can pick up at the pier. I know not a big deal as we have picked them up there before, but I was wondering why the issue as we ordered them months ago. The only thing I can think of was that we had one custom medallion for my daughter and the other two were the generic versions. I guess my only other question would be if you can still get a custom medallion at the pier or onboard? I know you can get other accessories, but wasn't sure about the actual medallion.  Thanks everyone!

We have a cruise  in March and thinking of cancelling the Medallion order as no one at Princess seems to be able to answer IF we will be charged as we have the Standard package and have already made final.payment . Are we grandfathered in ? I have a receipt of zero balance but are all prior orders voided ? 

I don't mind picking them up at the pier. A few minutes of our cruise.Also thinking of prepaying the grats. Our perks are fading fast! 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jinpasco said:

We have a cruise  in March and thinking of cancelling the Medallion order as no one at Princess seems to be able to answer IF we will be charged as we have the Standard package and have already made final.payment . Are we grandfathered in ? I have a receipt of zero balance but are all prior orders voided ? 

I don't mind picking them up at the pier. A few minutes of our cruise.Also thinking of prepaying the grats. Our perks are fading fast! 

Wondering this one myself.  We have a March cruise with final payment the day after Christmas, and I'm now wondering if I should just pay it off before the 14th to avoid the new "benefits". 

• Like 2

We made final payment on out trip months ago as we are sailing 12/27. I didn't think the new changes affected us yet. But who knows, like all of us I'm just a little disappointed in losing some previous perks. But I do understand its a business.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JF - retired RRT said:

We're done... We'd almost decided to quit cruising, these changes finished the decision for us.

Oh, don't do that! Things go up in price, no matter which line. Just look for other lines where you feel your loyalty is appreciated. Aren't the Elite benefits really the issue?

As @larrybritt said, "...it's a business." Alienate your customer base and they are free to sail with another line.

• Like 1

We are also well past final payment.  I thought the medallions were supposed to be shipped to us.  If these changes are supposed to be for after next week, then I think we should get our medallions.  I think they are just cancelling all these medallions right now as they change over and figure out the new changes.   I wanted my medallion!

2 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

We're done.

Losing almost all of the Elite benefits and now raising prices for grats, internet, shipping Medallions, etc.

We'd almost decided to quit cruising, these changes finished the decision for us.

I think many people come to cruise Critic to convince themselves how bad things are.

Now what Elite benefits exactly have we lost?  There was the change to the free internet minutes, but when that was changed to a 50% discount, the 10% discount on excursions was added.  Which if you book excursions yields more value than the cost of the Internet.

There is certainly some overlap with the new packages Princess sells. But that is an individuals choice. Want the benefits, buy the basic fare and buy the higher priced packages.

The only real loss was the loyalty obc starting at 25 cruises, but that was not an Elite benefit.

6 minutes ago, PRINCESS Sweet Pea said:

We are also well past final payment.  I thought the medallions were supposed to be shipped to us.  If these changes are supposed to be for after next week, then I think we should get our medallions.  I think they are just cancelling all these medallions right now as they change over and figure out the new changes.   I wanted my medallion!

I have basic Medallions ordered for several cruises from January on throughout the year. No sign of any getting canceled as of yet.

Maybe it was due to the special medallion being part of the order.

On 12/6/2022 at 9:50 AM, PRINCESS Sweet Pea said:

Really?  The OP had two regular and a custom medallion.  The combo made it necessary to pick up the custom one at thr pier.

You don't seem to understand the change.

People on our cruise in 10 days are receiving their medallions at home.  We will get ours at the pier as far easier and less stress.

On 12/6/2022 at 8:57 AM, ldtr said:

I think many people come to cruise Critic to convince themselves how bad things are.

Now what Elite benefits exactly have we lost?  There was the change to the free internet minutes, but when that was changed to a 50% discount, the 10% discount on excursions was added.  Which if you book excursions yields more value than the cost of the Internet.

There is certainly some overlap with the new packages Princess sells. But that is an individuals choice. Want the benefits, buy the basic fare and buy the higher priced packages.

The only real loss was the loyalty obc starting at 25 cruises, but that was not an Elite benefit.

I really think you hit the nail on the head.  I appears that everyone is reacting to a small increase in price that has not even had an impact on them as of yet and won’t if you book before December 14th.  
I do miss the loyalty credit a bit because I am almost at my $100 mark, but they are trying to realize a profit on all cruiselines.  We certainly won’t ever see it again if everyone runs from a price increase that is comparable to, or maybe even less than, what we see here at home. 
I must say, I think the service and offerings on all of our many cruises since the restart has been phenomenal … I have noticed zero cutbacks while on my cruises and more importantly, some definite improvements.  The caveat here is that I like the smaller portions in the MDR.  I even went to Sabatini’s recently and asked for half portions for all my courses because I detest wasting food.  I enjoy the experience much better when I don’t leave feeling like I’m going to pop.  I can always order more if I’m still hungry.  

• Like 5

@jinpascoDon't really care if I'm 'grandfathered in.' The way I see it is if Princess wants me to have a medallion, they'll give me one .... either beforehand or upon boarding. And they do. 

@coo359a2so I can pay Princess / RCCL $16 or NCL $20 or have it rolled into my cruise price at Virgin (higher per day fare)?? Kinda a no brainer

On 12/7/2022 at 11:35 AM, Arizona Wildcat said:

People on our cruise in 10 days are receiving their medallions at home.  We will get ours at the pier as far easier and less stress.

I won't make a fuss if I have to pick my Medallions up at the pier, but there is some excitement involved in receiving the Medallion in the mail -- just a "this cruise is almost upon us!!" feeling.  But I don't like the over-packaging of the Medallions that big box relative to the contents, and the struggle to open it!

15 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

I won't make a fuss if I have to pick my Medallions up at the pier, but there is some excitement involved in receiving the Medallion in the mail -- just a "this cruise is almost upon us!!" feeling.  But I don't like the over-packaging of the Medallions that big box relative to the contents, and the struggle to open it!

They reduced the size of the packaging.

On 12/6/2022 at 6:38 AM, JF - retired RRT said:

We're done.

Losing almost all of the Elite benefits and now raising prices for grats, internet, shipping Medallions, etc.

We'd almost decided to quit cruising, these changes finished the decision for us.

Have you looked at the price of air fares lately ?  Prices are up everywhere. The price of travel has gone up everywhere not just cruising 

• Like 1

I think the reason that the cost to cruise is now going up has less to do with inflation and more to do with Covid related cruise cancellation FCCs.  As I understand it, those FCCs must be used by the end of this month.  It would have been grossly unfair to offer FCCs to the customers who opted for them only to raise the fare and ancillary costs before those FCCs got used - thus costing them more to go on their replacement sailing.

Nobody is complaining that they are now spending more money on a replacement sailing, just on new bookings.  I think this was all to be expected.

• Like 1