The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday December 9th, 2022

richwmn

The air conditioner has a blown conductor. We leave tomorrow,  so Phillip will order the parts and install the day after we get home. 

The main water pipe to the backyard was the culprit to our flooding.  It is cracked.. Claudio said not to worry. He's going to fix it and all will be well.

Thankful for our contractors who are so good to us.

My Christmas cards were mailed yesterday. We still have many cards exchanged and I look forward to writing them and receiving them.

image.png.ba3f160d4835b7426ab94db0328e2b1a.png

Have a great weekend. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all the concerns about my fracture.  I saw the orthopedic doctor this morning and of course he had about ten more x-rays taken.  The good news is that there is no change from Wednesday.  I will see him again next Thursday.  The only surprise was that he wants me to wear the boot even while sleeping at night.  He said I could cover it with a plastic bag when showering, but that isn't an option as my trousers won't slide over it.  I have a copy of the x-ray and not being a doctor, I would call it a crack more than a fracture.  It will slow down my activities for maybe a month; however, our next cruise isn't until March.

Ray

• Like 14
  • Thanks 6

3 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

Thanks for all the concerns about my fracture.  I saw the orthopedic doctor this morning and of course he had about ten more x-rays taken.  The good news is that there is no change from Wednesday.  I will see him again next Thursday.  The only surprise was that he wants me to wear the boot even while sleeping at night.  He said I could cover it with a plastic bag when showering, but that isn't an option as my trousers won't slide over it.  I have a copy of the x-ray and not being a doctor, I would call it a crack more than a fracture.  It will slow down my activities for maybe a month; however, our next cruise isn't until March.

Ray

Those boots are such a great advancement.    That is how I could walk minus crutches in three weeks.  So glad to hear it was a crack.   

• Like 12

Well, talked with sister in law, Clay does not have a broken Femur, he fractured his hip so severely that he is  currently undergoing emergency hip replacement surgery.   With Mom's caregiver, now needing care, I think that DH is considering flying back out to Arkansas.  I guess that will be decided if he can get Patty to pick him up at the airport, and take him back in a couple of weeks.  I mean, with our jobs, as long is there is wifi, we are good to go anywhere.

The only high note of the day, is that we have a concert to go to tonight.  the Atlanta master Chorale performing the Happy Holiday Christmas at Emory University.  It has been raining all day, the neighbors at the bottom of the hill, have flooded yards. I noticed some big trees leaning towards the entrance street to our subdivision.  

• Like 12
  • Thanks 6

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

The air conditioner has a blown conductor. We leave tomorrow,  so Phillip will order the parts and install the day after we get home. 

The main water pipe to the backyard was the culprit to our flooding.  It is cracked.. Claudio said not to worry. He's going to fix it and all will be well.

Thankful for our contractors who are so good to us.

My Christmas cards were mailed yesterday. We still have many cards exchanged and I look forward to writing them and receiving them.

image.png.ba3f160d4835b7426ab94db0328e2b1a.png

Have a great weekend. 

Have a wonderful cruise!  Glad the issues will be fixed and not a worry while you're away.

22 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

Well, talked with sister in law, Clay does not have a broken Femur, he fractured his hip so severely that he is  currently undergoing emergency hip replacement surgery.   With Mom's caregiver, now needing care, I think that DH is considering flying back out to Arkansas.  I guess that will be decided if he can get Patty to pick him up at the airport, and take him back in a couple of weeks.  I mean, with our jobs, as long is there is wifi, we are good to go anywhere.

The only high note of the day, is that we have a concert to go to tonight.  the Atlanta master Chorale performing the Happy Holiday Christmas at Emory University.  It has been raining all day, the neighbors at the bottom of the hill, have flooded yards. I noticed some big trees leaning towards the entrance street to our subdivision.  

Gosh, you two have a lot on your plates right now!  I hope Clay and his Mom both heal quickly.  Try to enjoy the concert tonight.🎄

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

@marshhawk So sorry to hear about Clay's accident and his requiring an emergency hip replacement. And I hope your DMIL is doing ok. I hope DH is able to go visit to help out some. Enjoy the concert!

@Seasick Sailor Good to hear that your house issues will be taken care of.  You are fortunate; good contractors are hard to find any more.

@USN59-79 That sounds good that it's more a crack than a fracture. 

@HAL Sailer I pray all went well for DSIL.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, marshhawk said:

Good afternoon Dailyites!  I caught up with all the reading.  Went in for my oncologist appt today. While we were about to leave the car, and go in, DH got a text from the same doc, that if he wanted to, he could change his appointment from February. to 1:30 today....it was 9:30 in the morning, he called the office, and they got him in after me.

Besides my blood sugar sky rocketing, i'm low on oxygen, couldnt get a read on me at all...this congestion has to go!  Of course that's not her thing, and I am still waiting to hear if my request to change docs has been approved.  I cant even schedule an appointment unless it's approved.

My In laws appear to be falling apart...Mom broke her arm in the fall earlier this week.  Her son Clay (DH's step brother) took her to the doctor yesterday, got home, walked his dog, and fell, breaking his femur, he is currently in surgery.  I'm scared to let DH out of the house right now.  We are waiting for a call from my sister in law.  Please keep this family in your prayers.  Clay has fallen and broken his shoulder, his arm and his leg while walking this labradoodle.  Not much doodle, and doesn't even sound lilke a happy lab.

Well off to research diabetes diet again. and to try to actually stick with it!

friday-funny-shark-cartoon-dont-eat-the-buns-700x500.jpg

Annie, you need to wrap DH in bubble wrap before letting him out!

I am so sorry to read about what is happening with DH’s family. 

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon.  Some how, I managed to get all the cooking done this afternoon.  The cookie dough is in the refrigerator as well as the key lime pie to use some of the egg yolks.  The candy is made as setting before I put it in a container as is the icing for the cookies.  All that is left, is rolling out the pizza dough when it finishes rising, and putting all the ingredients together to pop in the oven.  Tomorrow will be baking the cookies (more flour mess) and beginning decorating them.  After that, I'm done with the Christmas preparations.  Which means house cleaning in the near future.

@JazzyV  Vanessa don't be too impressed with the candy making.  This is a very easy recipe that my mother made every year at Christmas.    The recipe is below.  I usually make two batches, but only do one at a time so that it is easier to drop on the foil.

@marshhawk  Annie, that was good that DH could get his appointment moved to right after yours.  I am sending positive thoughts that your in-laws don't have anymore mishaps.  I hope Clay can heal quickly after the hip replacement.  Just tell your DH to be very careful if he goes to help, and maybe to not walk the dog.

@Seasick Sailor  Joy, that's good that your contractors can take care of the problems while you are gone or just after you return.  Now you can relax and enjoy your cruise.  Safe travels tomorrow.

@USN59-79  Ray, I hope your interpretation of a crack not a break is correct and your leg is better very soon.

CHOCOLATE NUT CANDY

3 12 oz boxes semisweet chocolate                         1 t vanilla

1 can sweetened, condensed milk                            1 c chopped nuts

pinch salt

Melt chocolate in pan over low heat, stirring occasionally or melt chocolate in microwave according to package directions.  When melted, stir in vanilla and milk until blended and smooth; then blend in nuts.

With 2 teaspoons, drop on foil.  Let set.  Store in covered container.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 2

In honor of today's meal suggestion I added baharat seasoning to the casserole for tonight's dinner, and then remembered that baharat is more typically Arabian than Moroccan. Please don't accuse me of cultural appropriation when it's just a lapse of memory.

While it cooks I'm drinking Riesling, not a local one, just cardboardeaux.

5 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Good luck with the Hanukkah dinner and concert.

Thanks.

Edited by kochleffel
  • Like 12
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, summer slope said:

Thank you Sandi @StLouisCruisers  he is 1000 times better today. 

That is really good news!!!  Hoping it continues that way and he is feeling like himself shortly and, of course, that you stay negative 🙏🏻 

8 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

Tana has turned the corner. It always takes a few days for  the meds to work. She wanted to try making her way to the kitchen so DD came down to be her PT.I am wobbly with a cane and don't  want to cause another problem.I have to say it is hard to let go of my usual roles!

Wishing you all a great day.

Encouraging news indeed.  I hope it continues to improve for Tana.  You let go of your usual job and let others help and take care of yourself, please.  We don’t want you falling 😱 

8 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Lot of coughing going on as my lungs are loosening up but I’m doing better. Have another 24 hours of quarantine so not much on the agenda today.

Sorry about the coughing but it can help at times (and hurt).  Just glad you are doing better and hope you continue to improve 🤞 

2 hours ago, marshhawk said:

My In laws appear to be falling apart...Mom broke her arm in the fall earlier this week.  Her son Clay (DH's step brother) took her to the doctor yesterday, got home, walked his dog, and fell, breaking his femur, he is currently in surgery.  I'm scared to let DH out of the house right now.  We are waiting for a call from my sister in law.  Please keep this family in your prayers.  Clay has fallen and broken his shoulder, his arm and his leg while walking this labradoodle.  Not much doodle, and doesn't even sound lilke a happy lab.

Yikes and even more yikes hearing that Clay has more damage than originally thought.    Prayers heading you in laws way 🙏🏻 They sure need them.  Keep your DH safe in case it is contagious in his family, please.

2 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Holy cow!  So glad you have good contractors - Claudio sounds like a gem.

2 hours ago, USN59-79 said:

Thanks for all the concerns about my fracture.  I saw the orthopedic doctor this morning and of course he had about ten more x-rays taken.  The good news is that there is no change from Wednesday.  I will see him again next Thursday.  The only surprise was that he wants me to wear the boot even while sleeping at night.

I’m surprised at that - I was able to take my boot off after the first week at night.

He said I could cover it with a plastic bag when showering, but that isn't an option as my trousers won't slide over it.

You need to take the boot off to get dressed - there’s no getting around that 😉 

I have a copy of the x-ray and not being a doctor, I would call it a crack more than a fracture.  It will slow down my activities for maybe a month; however, our next cruise isn't until March.

Ray

A crack is a fracture - I was married to a doctor 😉 A Crack can be quite risky if they are not treated - they need to heal like a fracture or your bone will not be right and most likely break down the road.  Slow down for a month, do your rehab after and you’ll be walking well for your cruise 🙂 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good afternoon.  Some how, I managed to get all the cooking done this afternoon.  The cookie dough is in the refrigerator as well as the key lime pie to use some of the egg yolks.  The candy is made as setting before I put it in a container as is the icing for the cookies.  All that is left, is rolling out the pizza dough when it finishes rising, and putting all the ingredients together to pop in the oven.  Tomorrow will be baking the cookies (more flour mess) and beginning decorating them.  After that, I'm done with the Christmas preparations.  Which means house cleaning in the near future.

@JazzyV  Vanessa don't be too impressed with the candy making.  This is a very easy recipe that my mother made every year at Christmas.    The recipe is below.  I usually make two batches, but only do one at a time so that it is easier to drop on the foil.

@marshhawk  Annie, that was good that DH could get his appointment moved to right after yours.  I am sending positive thoughts that your in-laws don't have anymore mishaps.  I hope Clay can heal quickly after the hip replacement.  Just tell your DH to be very careful if he goes to help, and maybe to not walk the dog.

@Seasick Sailor  Joy, that's good that your contractors can take care of the problems while you are gone or just after you return.  Now you can relax and enjoy your cruise.  Safe travels tomorrow.

@USN59-79  Ray, I hope your interpretation of a crack not a break is correct and your leg is better very soon.

CHOCOLATE NUT CANDY

3 12 oz boxes semisweet chocolate                         1 t vanilla

1 can sweetened, condensed milk                            1 c chopped nuts

pinch salt

Melt chocolate in pan over low heat, stirring occasionally or melt chocolate in microwave according to package directions.  When melted, stir in vanilla and milk until blended and smooth; then blend in nuts.

With 2 teaspoons, drop on foil.  Let set.  Store in covered container.

Lenda

Thanks for this recipe. I will make some early next week.

well, we had some excitement this afternoon. I wanted to bake two loaves of rye bread that had risen long enough before I cleaned my ovens. I was preheating the oven to 450 when near the end of the cycle when I looked and saw a flames in the oven. Turned the power off and dh poured some water on the flames. It did the trick but then we had to air out the black smoke and wash my cast iron pots that were heating. So when it cooled, I cleaned the oven And tried again. This time we got two nice loaves. Way to much excitement for this old lady. I know, we should have used baking soda! I need to get a new kitchen fire extinguisher and also clean the oven when I have baked as much as I just did before I reuse it .

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

Thanks for the reminder to get the Christmas Cards done. I send very few to friends, only relative I send to is my son but I do send cards to the church members who are shut ins. 

I have been told by 2 different people today that I am sounding much better and I am feeling better. I hadn't realized how run down I was.

My wonderful next door neighbor is right now decorating the outside of my house for Christmas. I have everything done inside except for putting up the "pull up Kincaid tree". It is too tall for me to reach and I don't dare stand on a stool. After Mike finishes outside he will do that for me.

@aliaschiefI can surely relate to what coughing does to you. Please continue to take it easy.

@marshhawkprayers for your entire family, this is to much happening at once.

@smitty34877Praise the Lord Tana is better.

@Quartzsite CruiserThank you for the candy recipe. It is the same one I used many years ago but I had lost it. Maybe I will get ambitious and make myself a little candy for Christmas.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, kochleffel said:

In honor of today's meal suggestion I added baharat seasoning to the casserole for tonight's dinner, and then remembered that baharat is more typically Arabian than Moroccan. Please don't accuse me of cultural appropriation when it's just a lapse of memory.

While it cooks I'm drinking Riesling, not a local one, just cardboardeaux.

Thanks.

Riesling is my go to white wine.  Do you mind telling me which cardbordeaux Riesling you drink, and if it's sweet, dry, or has just a hint of sweetness?

Lenda

• Like 4

Thanks for all the information today, started reading the posts much earlier then life got in the way.

A splendid sunny day,  temperature to 23 C, then later this afternoon fog rolled in, now heavy  rain.

Have a few  Christmas cards still to send, overseas ones were mailed a few weeks ago.

We have been to Apia on the Volendam.

Best wishes and positive thoughts to all on the Care list.

• Like 6

On 12/9/2022 at 10:39 PM, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Do you mind telling me which cardbordeaux Riesling you drink, and if it's sweet, dry, or has just a hint of sweetness?

This is Black Box Riesling, 2020, from California. It's slightly sweet, a bit more than I like, but it doesn't have enough character to stand on its own if it were dry. I like it better as an aperitif than to complement a meal.

• Like 1