How to deal with legit complaint while on a cruise

njpln

We are on a cruise now, the second of back to backs.  Approximately day 10 of a 12 day cruise, a banging noise started at night, and it was hard to sleep.  I recorded it on my phone, and notified our butler, and the manager.  They came with the maintenance manager and said they would caulk around the side window but we needed to be out of the room.  We suggested they do it on the change day, because we had a full day excursion. They said they would.

Today is the second day of the second cruise.  The seas are calmer and we believe we are sailing slower, but I still heard the noise last night, albeit less frequently.  So I asked the butler if the maintenance crew did anything.  She said no.

So we are in a suite, $$$, and we are loyal guests, and they just dismissed our legitimate problem.  (After promising to do something, which may or may not have fixed the situation, but at least they would have tried.)

What is the best way to handle this?  

We believe they should fix this or compensate us in some way.  We would prefer the fix, but that may not be possible. Should we go back to the manager, who will be different since the other one went home?  Or should we wait until we are home and contact Celebrity?  I don’t want to spend too much time on my cruise dealing with this, but it’s disappointing how they are not dealing with the problem. 

Appreciate any advice.  After 20+ cruises it’s the first time we’ve had a situation that wasn’t resolved.  

Thanks.

Norma

We haven’t had an issue on Celebrity. But on HAL we inform the room steward and we also tell the front desk.  We tell them we’ve told the room steward and we tell the room steward we are telling the front desk.  Depending upon the problem one or the other takes the lead in resolving the issue.  We’ve been compensated without asking for it. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, njpln said:

We are on a cruise now, the second of back to backs.  Approximately day 10 of a 12 day cruise, a banging noise started at night, and it was hard to sleep.  I recorded it on my phone, and notified our butler, and the manager.  They came with the maintenance manager and said they would caulk around the side window but we needed to be out of the room.  We suggested they do it on the change day, because we had a full day excursion. They said they would.

Today is the second day of the second cruise.  The seas are calmer and we believe we are sailing slower, but I still heard the noise last night, albeit less frequently.  So I asked the butler if the maintenance crew did anything.  She said no.

So we are in a suite, $$$, and we are loyal guests, and they just dismissed our legitimate problem.  (After promising to do something, which may or may not have fixed the situation, but at least they would have tried.)

What is the best way to handle this?  

We believe they should fix this or compensate us in some way.  We would prefer the fix, but that may not be possible. Should we go back to the manager, who will be different since the other one went home?  Or should we wait until we are home and contact Celebrity?  I don’t want to spend too much time on my cruise dealing with this, but it’s disappointing how they are not dealing with the problem. 

Appreciate any advice.  After 20+ cruises it’s the first time we’ve had a situation that wasn’t resolved.  

Thanks.

Norma

Ask guest services to connect you with a supervisory officer in engineering. Do not wait until after the cruise. Still no action? Make an appointment with the GM.

Of course, this all assumes your “noise” is significantly more than the usual creaks and groans common to a ship underway. 

28 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Ask guest services to connect you with a supervisory officer in engineering. Do not wait until after the cruise. Still no action? Make an appointment with the GM.

Of course, this all assumes your “noise” is significantly more than the usual creaks and groans common to a ship underway. 

Couldn't agree more.  Don't wait.  Do it now.  

• Like 1

We had a sewage smell recently (on Jewel July 26 2022) in our OS that would come and go and our SL concierge offered us 20% off based on the cruise fair paid for that sailing. We didn't even ask (and only told our cabin steward)) but he and everyone onboard (from him to the hotel director to the LA to the concierge) seemed to know we were having a problem in our particular cabin and kept checking and doing everything they could. It came to a nice amount we then applied as an FCC to one of our booked 2023 cruises.

Edited by Ashland

OP here,

Thanks for your comments. We went to the concierge this morning and told them we wanted the engineering supervisor, the one who told us they would be here to caulk yesterday, to come back and make sure the work is done today.  We also told him we felt we were due some compensation for the fact that we’ve had 4 really noisy nights. 

{Yes, this is not your regular creaking, engine noise or anything, it’s banging. That’s why I did more than one night of recordings on my phone.}

So the engineering supervisor had somebody come and do caulking, we can actually see the results right now. We’re hoping that this takes care of the issue. I also believe we will get some compensation because I told the  concierge that this should have already been fixed and we expect some compensation for too many interrupted nights.  She said she would follow up with that.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Leave a written message for the cruise hotel manager in his box.  Take a photo of that message.   Deal with the compensation when you get home and enjoy the remainder of your cruise.  

most noises I have experienced in cabins were not structural but were neighboring cabin loose objects or similar.  One squeak was the wall mounted tv which I cured with a hand towel wedged between it and the wall

Edited by Mary229