Why don't people like to eat at a specialty restaurant on the first night?

Sigyn

7 minutes ago, njsmom said:

Specialty restaurants aren't a popular option on the first night of a cruise. Why is this?

Various reasons.

They don't want to dress up for dinner the first night.

They want to meet their serving team/find regular dining room.

Could be the first night their whole party is together for the trip.

Some people don't find it necessary to pay extra when food in the regular dining rooms is included in fare.

Maybe they don't like "fancy" food.

It's quite likely they aren't aware of the extra cost food options.

• Like 3

If given a complimentary dinner I often do first night especially if I have been independently traveling.  After a week or so of road food I am happy to have a nice dinner.  I simply stop by the MDR at embarkation and tell them I will be out that night. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, njsmom said:

Specialty restaurants aren't a popular option on the first night of a cruise. Why is this?

I'm not sure the OPs statement is factual, it's probably based just on their own opinion and observations.  I've read many postings on both sides of this issue, seems to be purely a personal choice either way.

Anyone have any factual #.s to support (or contradict) the OP?

Edited by evandbob

7 minutes ago, evandbob said:

I'm not sure the OPs statement is factual, it's probably based just on their own opinion and observations.  I've read many postings on both sides of this issue, seems to be purely a personal choice either way.

I based it on how many cruise lines discount the first night in specialty restaurants to encourage people to book, since there are fewer reservations that night. And how if I look even now at the Prima, on which we're sailing in 9 days, there are still reservations open for the first night at specialty restaurants and every single other night is booked. 

This article also supports it: https://thepointsguy.com/guide/cruise-dining-mistakes/

"It’s tradition for many cruisers to eat in the main dining room on the first night of the cruise. You’re still getting the lay of the land, and if you’ve selected assigned-seating dining, you’re eager to meet your waiters. Also, some avid cruisers remember a time when the best dishes, such as lobster, were served on the first night and don’t want to miss them – even though the cruise lines now often save their best dishes for formal night.

Because of this mindset, reservations can be easier to get in specialty restaurants on the first night of the cruise. Some lines even offer incentives if you book a table on the eve of embarkation. Carnival, for example, offers a free bottle of house wine or 50% off the regular wine list to cruisers who choose to dine in certain extra-fee restaurants on night one."

Edited by njsmom
  • Like 1

We rarely go for specialty restaurants on lines we really like to sail.   While they are somewhat better than the MDR, we prefer to save our “eating out” funds for really superior (i.e. shoreside) restaurants.  Of course if we’re talking about sailing Carnival, or especially NCL, the specialty restaurants really are called for.  But some mass market lines- Cunard, Celebrity and HAL - do a pretty good job in the MDR and, in my experience thus far, are acceptable.

• Like 3

Could be a number of reasons. Or no reason whatsoever, but they'll fall on that sword if need be.

Off of the top of my head, I'd say first maybe there's some unwritten etiquette for some that says you see your dining team the first night. Some may also be saving specialty dining for when the standard dining options become stale / the menu doesn't excite. 

Not a huge fan tbh. Food may be marginally better, but not $40-$100+ better when there is already plenty of food included.

I think it is a form of etiquette your passengers to present themselves at the Dining Room on the First Evening.

For you to learn where you will be sitting if the restaurant assigns table to you. Learn who your servers will be and not make them think you don't care about the Dining Room table assigned.

If you are expected to arrive at a home, wouldn't  you want your host to think that the Dinner being made is worth the work behind it. On sailings you will have plenty time to try the other cuisines being offered.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

Not a huge fan tbh. Food may be marginally better, but not $40-$100+ better when there is already plenty of food included.

Exactly - you get somewhat better banquet food, but it is still banquet food.  

If I am going to pay for a special meal, when I have already paid for a pretty good meal, it had better be really over the top.

• Like 1

We did a specialty restaurant once (HAL to Alaska I think) and were underwhelmed; it was a gift from my TA and I had to think up nice things to say about it!  We never did use the other nights.  But we're barbarians, we prefer the buffet.  I love a huge salad, lots of good bread and a tiny entree for dinner.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joebucks said:

Food may be marginally better, but not $40-$100+ better when there is already plenty of food included.

43 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

If I am going to pay for a special meal

I've never paid extra for a specialty restaurant meal. There are cruise lines that include specialty restaurants as part of your fare.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, BklynBoy8 said:

I think it is a form of etiquette your passengers to present themselves at the Dining Room on the First Evening.

For you to learn where you will be sitting if the restaurant assigns table to you. Learn who your servers will be and not make them think you don't care about the Dining Room table assigned.

If you are expected to arrive at a home, wouldn't  you want your host to think that the Dinner being made is worth the work behind it. On sailings you will have plenty time to try the other cuisines being offered.

We no longer sail on cruise lines that have assigned tables and sittings. We much prefer open seating in the dining room. I have no interest in being forced to dine with people I may dislike. That doesn't mean we always dine alone because we may already know others on board or we may meet people we enjoy being with and dine with them.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, evandbob said:

As I've already said, we always dine in a specialty restaurant the first night and typically the specialties are less crowded that night than on any other night of the cruise . That's why some cruise lines where there is an additional charge for specialties offer discounts or incentives for dining there the first night.

2 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

We rarely go for specialty restaurants on lines we really like to sail.   While they are somewhat better than the MDR, we prefer to save our “eating out” funds for really superior (i.e. shoreside) restaurants.  Of course if we’re talking about sailing Carnival, or especially NCL, the specialty restaurants really are called for.  But some mass market lines- Cunard, Celebrity and HAL - do a pretty good job in the MDR and, in my experience thus far, are acceptable.

The Britannia dining room on Cunard has food little or no better than Carnival's and you have to get dressed up to eat there, which to me is like putting lipstick on a pig.

Carnival Corp. has destroyed the old Cunard and I'll never spend a dime on a Cunard cruise again as I have no intention of paying through the nose for a Grill class suite.

1 hour ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Interesting take and I agree where new table mates will be meeting each other for the first time.   Cruise lines we frequent allow us to select other than fixed dining.   So I don't think Mrs Manners will disapprove if we don't go on night one. 😀  We don't skip the MDR in favor of a specialty restnt.  Most of the time after settling in on that first day we mosey on up to the buffet.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

We no longer sail on cruise lines that have assigned tables and sittings. We much prefer open seating in the dining room. I have no interest in being forced to dine with people I may dislike. That doesn't mean we always dine alone because we may already know others on board or we may meet people we enjoy being with and dine with them.

Unfortunately sailing on the QM2 is our like other passengers like to sail on Mega Ships with Multi Numbers of Passengers. We prefer sitting at a table of 2 and still communicate with people in the dining room. No not at a table for 6 or 8 that are avail. Those you will not be placed at unless you request it. The ship also does not have family style tables you will join others at.

If we wish to dine with others, we can meet up at the Kings Court - the buffet restaurant.

I may be a traditionalist but we enjoy the ship and what it stands for.

Pls enjoy the ship you like.

As I've already said, we always dine in a specialty restaurant the first night and typically the specialties are less crowded that night than on any other night of the cruise . That's why some cruise lines where there is an additional charge for specialties offer discounts or incentives for dining there the first night.

We do dine in Speciality Restaurants but after we settle in and enjoy the regular dining room.

And thru Loyalty we do get lunches or dinners thru the line on the house. 

The Britannia dining room on Cunard has food little or no better than Carnival's and you have to get dressed up to eat there, which to me is like putting lipstick on a pig.

Carnival Corp. has destroyed the old Cunard and I'll never spend a dime on a Cunard cruise again as I have no intention of paying through the nose for a Grill class suite.

IMHO.....Can't believe you were on the same ships as us. Cunard has very good quality and I think you are more attracted to other lines with their quality. 

Interesting comments here.  Thanks for them.

One small reason why some cruisers shy away from dining in specialty dining rooms on the first night - there's no guarantee that luggage will be delivered by dinner time.  Some cruisers care about being appropriately dressed for dinner, and some others don't want to risk being rejected for being underdressed.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

Interesting comments here.  Thanks for them.

One small reason why some cruisers shy away from dining in specialty dining rooms on the first night - there's no guarantee that luggage will be delivered by dinner time.  Some cruisers care about being appropriately dressed for dinner, and some others don't want to risk being rejected for being underdressed.

It's fairly common for cruise lines to waive their usual dress code on embarkation night because they recognize that not everyone may have gotten their luggage delivered in time for dinner.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

It's fairly common for cruise lines to waive their usual dress code on embarkation night because they recognize that not everyone may have gotten their luggage delivered in time for dinner.

True, but less true for the specialty restaurants than the MDRs.

• Like 1