Can/should I book an accessible cabin?

CarolGS

We are hoping to sail in February. The sailing we are interested in is nearly sold out.  The only cabins left are several inside cabins (some standard and some accessible) and two accessible Sky Suites.  We are not interested in the inside cabins as I am somewhat claustrophobic. Due to old injuries I sometimes require a cane but otherwise do not require a wheelchair. Do I have a moral obligation to not book this sailing and leave the cabins to wheelchair bound cruisers?

If the cabins are available for booking if you don't select the option that you need an accessible cabin then they are being offered to the general public and you should feel free to book.   I would never select the option for accessible cabin if I didn't require one.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

If the cabins are available for booking if you don't select the option that you need an accessible cabin then they are being offered to the general public and you should feel free to book.   I would never select the option for accessible cabin if I didn't require one.

Agree with this answer.  Once they are open to the general public I would not feel any guilt in booking one.  Before that, I would only do so if really required.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

Agree, if they are being offered for booking then you should feel free to book.

Thanks for your response. The cabin category appeared as available on the website of an online booking agency.  It was only when I inquired that I was told that it was an accessible cabin.

We were in a similar situation recently and booked the last SS which  was an accessible.   We do not need one and checked almost daily for a SS to open up and request a change of room.  No SS's ever opened up and we had the Accessible SS on Equinox.     The room is larger than many to allow area for wheelchairs to move around.    The only negative on Equinox was the Sky Suites on Solstice are located right under the main traffic pattern for carts into the  Ocean View dish vwashing area.   The carts started rolling at 5:30 AM and could be heard most of the day. 

If one is available and you are comfortable you should not feel uncomfortable booking one.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tierun said:

I was given an accessible cabin on a guaranteed booking. That was in my 20s. I’d rather someone who uses a cane having the cabin over a fully able bodied young person.

Being assigned one by the ship as a guarantee is one thing. Choosing one when you know you don't need it is entirely different. My wife uses a Rollater but does not need all the facilities of a disabled cabin. We have been offered a disabled cabin and turned it down. These cabins are so few that they should be exclusively for passengers who really need them. We travel with friends who are more or less permanently in wheelchairs and for whom the wheelchair accessible showers/toilets are essential. They struggle to find cruises with vacant disabled cabins. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, the penguins said:

These cabins are so few that they should be exclusively for passengers who really need them.

Completely agree that nobody should be requesting one without need, but when it is a few weeks out from the sailing date and that is all that is left, and is being offered without specifying a need then it feels like there has been plenty of time for anyone who does require one to have booked it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You could also call Celebrity and ask for the type of cabin you would like and say only accessible is available.  They may be holding the regular cabins back for some reason.  They may be able to give you one.  If not - book the accessible.  I think if someone had a true need for it - they would likely have booked already.  If you book it - you could also have them put a note that you could move to a regular cabin in same category if someone does need one.  Just a thought.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mark_T said:

Completely agree that nobody should be requesting one without need, but when it is a few weeks out from the sailing date and that is all that is left, and is being offered without specifying a need then it feels like there has been plenty of time for anyone who does require one to have booked it.

I have never seen a cruise where the only cabins available are disabled ones. 

I also don't understand the logic that people with disabilities may not also need to be booking late as they have just the same issues as able bodied passengers.

When you first go to make a booking one of the first questions is do you need a disabled cabin. If you don't need it don't book it.

We have the same issues with people who park in Disabled Bays on the grounds that "the other bays near the shops were full" or " the disabled bays are nearer the store entrance". We have just returned from a shopping trip where out of the only 6 bays close to the store 4 were occupied by cars without Disabled Badges leaving us to walk nearly a 1/4 of a mile each way. Regrettably this is a regular occurrence. 

2 minutes ago, the penguins said:

Rare, but it does happen, as described by the OP, and it is only in that circumstance, where these cabins are the only ones being offered despite not indicating a need for one, that I would consider it appropriate to be booking one. 

Parking in disabled spaces is always inexcusable, we provide transport for my father-in-law who cannot manage to walk more than a few yards these days and I remain amazed at both those who ignore the designation of the spaces, and at the weird locations chosen for the spaces on occasions.

23 hours ago, CarolGS said:

We are hoping to sail in February. The sailing we are interested in is nearly sold out.  The only cabins left are several inside cabins (some standard and some accessible) and two accessible Sky Suites.  We are not interested in the inside cabins as I am somewhat claustrophobic. Due to old injuries I sometimes require a cane but otherwise do not require a wheelchair. Do I have a moral obligation to not book this sailing and leave the cabins to wheelchair bound cruisers?

People are not "wheelchair bound" - they are a wheelchair user or person that uses a wheelchair. Please try to avioid using ableist language.

How about the term “mobility impaired”? My wife uses a mobility device(wheelchair), and I’m amazed at the number of people who go onto the ship needing assistance and then latter seeing them not only walking but even dancing and still claiming an accessible cabin. Celebrity used to have a medical form that needed to be filled out and verified by medical personnel, but haven’t seen it in awhile.

If your “assigned” an accessible cabin, ask for other accommodations as we’re just as likely to book a last minute cruise as anyone else, and only can go when we have that type of cabin! Though we try to book far enough out to get an accessible cabin (we have six cruises in 23(Reflection,2 Summit, Equinox, Beyond and Sapphire Princess)and one(Holland America) in 24 already booked with cabins of our choice.

Hal

On 12/21/2022 at 9:42 AM, the penguins said:

II also don't understand the logic that people with disabilities may not also need to be booking late as they have just the same issues as able bodied passengers.

Thanks for the reminder on this.  I guess some of us are just thinking that since the cabins are so few, people who need them like to book far ahead since the cabins are difficult to get.  But - as you say - important to remember that everyone may not know when they have time to go or might just like to be spontaneous and jump on a last-minute trip.

On 12/21/2022 at 11:42 AM, the penguins said:

I also don't understand the logic that people with disabilities may not also need to be booking late as they have just the same issues as able bodied passengers.

When you first go to make a booking one of the first questions is do you need a disabled cabin. If you don't need it don't book it.

We have the same issues with people who park in Disabled Bays on the grounds that "the other bays near the shops were full" or " the disabled bays are nearer the store entrance". We have just returned from a shopping trip where out of the only 6 bays close to the store 4 were occupied by cars without Disabled Badges leaving us to walk nearly a 1/4 of a mile each way. Regrettably this is a regular occurrence. 

So, if it is true that the only cabins left other than insides are disabled cabins, are you suggesting the able bodied person shouldn't book the cruise and instead leave that only cabins available for a disabled person? That's a wholly different situation than someone parking in a disabled parking spot. The person can always park a bit further and walk. This person can't helicopter onto the cruise every day because the only cabin left is disabled and they want to leave it open. If that's what's left they have done their due diligence. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/21/2022 at 11:50 AM, Mark_T said:

Rare, but it does happen, as described by the OP, and it is only in that circumstance, where these cabins are the only ones being offered despite not indicating a need for one, that I would consider it appropriate to be booking one. 

Really not that rare in Sky Suite category.   Suites sell out very early these days.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

So, if it is true that the only cabins left other than insides are disabled cabins, are you suggesting the able bodied person shouldn't book the cruise and instead leave that only cabins available for a disabled person? That's a wholly different situation than someone parking in a disabled parking spot. The person can always park a bit further and walk. This person can't helicopter onto the cruise every day because the only cabin left is disabled and they want to leave it open. If that's what's left they have done their due diligence. 

In what way is it different? Accessible staterooms are few and far between and 'it's all that was available' is NOT an acceptable excuse!

The OP has clearly stated that there are cabins available, albeit not in the category they want, so that potentially means that someone who really needs it is SOL because an able-bodied person decided they wanted it instead.

Selfish and ignorant. There are no other words.

2 minutes ago, Guindalf said:

In what way is it different? Accessible staterooms are few and far between and 'it's all that was available' is NOT an acceptable excuse!

The OP has clearly stated that there are cabins available, albeit not in the category they want, so that potentially means that someone who really needs it is SOL because an able-bodied person decided they wanted it instead.

Sorry. No. They also said there are accessible cabins available in other categories. This is the only option on a suite. If you want a specific cabin category, you have to book early - disabled or fully abled. There's no reason the OP should be stuck with an inside when they want a suite when the exact same scenario tomorrow when a disabled person goes to book. They were too late, they can take the accessible inside room. 

1 minute ago, Guindalf said:

Normally I would agree but..  The cruise is well inside final payment 30-60 days out.   At this point I maintain that others have had the opportunity to book if they want.  Also the Retreat product is much different than an inside.  OP would not be taking the last accessible room either as they stated there were accessible insides left as well.

My advise is the same.   Call Celebrity, if they will release for general booking go ahead and book it.

Prior to final payment I absolutely agree with you.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sanger727 said:

But there were other cabins available, not the passengers first choice but non disabled cabins. The original poster asked "can/should I book. I am firmly in the camp of no they shouldn't book a disabled cabin . Others have expressed the opposite opinion.

It is up to the OP to decide which course they take.

However as they needed to ask I think they know the answer.

With regard to parking who can park further away and walk? If it's the able bodied then they have already decided that their need is greater than that of someone who is disabled to use an British phrase "I'm all right Jack". If it's the disabled then clearly that is incorrect.

We were assigned one as a guarantee a while ago.   We are both tall and found many areas of the cabin inaccessible to us.   The area to hang clothes left our clothes on the floor and no room for shoes.   The roll in shower forced me to shower in the spa or flood the bathroom.    We had no tub.   There was a dangerous ramp out to the balcony.   If you did not fully open the balcony door, the ramp was at a 90 degree angle and caused us to trip and fall at least once leaving us with large bruises but fortunately no broken bones.   Be very careful in accessible rooms.

18 hours ago, Guindalf said:

Sooo if I'm in line in the ladies restroom at the airport , and the only stall available is the large accessable stall, none of us should use it??????  Sorry no, access does not mean priority, 

54 minutes ago, MMsteffey said:

Sooo if I'm in line in the ladies restroom at the airport , and the only stall available is the large accessable stall, none of us should use it??????  Sorry no, access does not mean priority, 

I was waiting for that to come up. Obviously if a person who needs an accessible stall is waiting they get priority, but no need to leave it empty just in case someone who needs it comes along.  Not exactly the same issue, but ....