Fiancé missing the cruise

rvmckim

It's not really a celebrity choice in many cases, As Cruisestitch asked, what's the next port? and what itinerary are you on? If you booked through a TA you should call them ASAP, or if you booked directly with Celebrity and see if they can help. My GF was in a similar situation in the past, the cruise line wasn't going to allow her to board due to the closed loop. But she contacted the TA, who worked with the Cruise to allow her to board at the next port. The TA even helped to arrange the flights and transport to the next port of call. It's the reason we keep using the same one. But you need to get on it fast. The US has some strict rules when it comes to who and how people can board cruise ships if you are leaving a US port. 

5 hours ago, rvmckim said:

Does celebrity allow sailors who missed the boarding to still get on at the next port? American cancelled flights so she may not make our boarding time now. Looking for alternatives if she cannot make it.

Yikes!  This is the second post I’ve read lately where someone was in danger of missing or missed a flight due to cancellations on American. We have american booked for a cruise in March. We’ve booked a day ahead to be safe but dang, this makes me nervous. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Yikes!  This is the second post I’ve read lately where someone was in danger of missing or missed a flight due to cancellations on American. We have american booked for a cruise in March. We’ve booked a day ahead to be safe but dang, this makes me nervous. 

This cancellation might be related to this week's bomb cyclone. I wouldn't panic about flights in March quite yet.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Yes, she’s stuck in Dallas unfortunately and her flight lands the same time as our boarding. We are the last boarding group of the day already. We have both called Celebrity to see if the boat can be held but so far have not had a confirmation from anyone. I’ve talked with a few people on my flight heading to different cruise lines who are running into the same issue. Funny how we planned the red eye flights that left at 10pm the night before thinking we were getting to Ft Lauderdale at 6am would be plenty of time for a 2:00pm boarding.

1 hour ago, rvmckim said:

Yes, she’s stuck in Dallas unfortunately and her flight lands the same time as our boarding. We are the last boarding group of the day already. We have both called Celebrity to see if the boat can be held but so far have not had a confirmation from anyone. I’ve talked with a few people on my flight heading to different cruise lines who are running into the same issue. Funny how we planned the red eye flights that left at 10pm the night before thinking we were getting to Ft Lauderdale at 6am would be plenty of time for a 2:00pm boarding.

What time do you actually sail?  Flights are a nightmare right now.  My son just had to cancel for Christmas.  I am beyond sad.........

Celebrity will rarely hold a ship for a later passenger.   The only exceptions I've heard was when there was a large group on a Celebrity Charter from Canada. 

During Covid they had discontinued downline boarding but I understand that it has resumed in some ports.   We were recently on a Mexico cruise and knew a couple who were upgraded after departure to a RS due to the passengers missing a flight and unable to downline board.   Not sure if this was a Celebrity or Guest decision. 

As others said.   Call the number listed on your cruise documents   -   The last 2 are the numbers you want to all for day of departure problems

image.thumb.png.7b648e3b83771fee856da54a96195b58.png

• Like 2

Happened to a family on my March Apex cruise. They saw us sailing away from Ft Lauderdale on their landing in FLL.  They tried to meet up in San Juan, but missed that as well (don't recall why) and was finally able to join the ship in St Thomas.

3 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

These days I am booking flights at least 2 days ahead to give me more time just in case.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Lastdance said:

I wanted to disembark at a different city in the same country and was told that was not a choice anymore.

Hope you find a way to make this happen!

That’s quite a different issue, for several reasons—-you were trying to plan it, the OP is in an unplanned situation.  A downline disembarkation will probably require permission of the immigration/customs authorities of the country you will be entering.  

I still hope we hear from the OP…

• Like 1

I am flying into FLL tomorrow from the northeast to board Apex.  If our flight is significantly delayed, we will miss the ship.  I called the day of number posted above over the weekend.  Our first port is Key West, we thought we could just drive there and meet the ship.  They will not allow us to board.  Due to the Jones Act, if embarking in a US port, you must disembark at the same port.  Port 2 is Belize, we cannot board there since it is a tender port.  They would allow us to board on Day 5 in Cozumel (on a 7 night cruise).  Trip insurance (Nationwide) would cover the cost to get us to the ship as a missed connection.  We called to proactively know our situation since the weather concerns have been present for the last week here.  Unfortunately, we were unable to move our departure earlier.    

Good luck, hopefully she will be able to catch up soon!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, hrhdhd said:

This cancellation might be related to this week's bomb cyclone. I wouldn't panic about flights in March quite yet.

More concerned about American's record of cancellations than the weather...fortunately, I live in a Delta hub with several flights to LA per day so push comes to shove, we'd fly Delta...

4 hours ago, rvmckim said:

Have you looked into having her fly to ATL?  Delta has several flights a day, nonstop to FLL.  

14 minutes ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

We did a repo cruise from New Jersey to Ft Lauderdale so I think you got bad information re the PVSA.

I am assuming your cruise visited the ABC's, which are considered "distant" foreign ports as far as the PVSA is concerned.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

@lme901We did a repo cruise from New Jersey to Ft Lauderdale so I think you got bad information re the PVSA.

No, their info was correct.  The repo cruise went all the way down To the ABC ISLANDS, which are defined in the Act as being distant Foreign ports.

To go from one US Port to a different Us port you must visit a distant foreign port

to go in and out of the same US port, any foreign port will do.

boarding in Key West would have turned the cruise from a closed loop cruise where any foreign port would work, to an open loop cruise, where the ABC ISLANDS or some other distant foreign port would have been required

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

@lme901We did a repo cruise from New Jersey to Ft Lauderdale so I think you got bad information re the PVSA.

Repo cruises follow different guidelines than close loop cruises, one of which is the requirement to visit a distant foreign port as opposed to just a foreign port.

Assuming OP's cruise does not visit a distant foreign port, they cannot board in Key West.