9:00AM FLIGHT OUT OF FT LAUDERDALE?

llarsen

We just did it this past Monday but it was unplanned.

We were supposed to be on a flight at 11:35 AM to Houston then on to Phoenix.

We woke up to a text message from United indicating that our flight from FLL was cancelled due to "operational reasons" and they automatically rebooked on us on a flight to Chicago then to Phoenix that left FLL a little after noon.

There weren't any seats left on the flights that left around 10ish so we were going to stick with what they gave us.  But there was a flight to Houston at 8:50 AM that appeared to have a decent amount of seats open.

So we decided to give it a try to make the earlier flight.  In our favor we were in a full suite which meant that we could leave the ship any time after 7:30 AM.

At exactly that time we tapped our Medallions at ship security.  We found our luggage quickly.  No lines at the immigration facial scanners.  Briskly walked to the cab line and they were plentiful (I think we may have been the only ship in port - but not 100% on that).

When I could tell that our cab driver must share DNA with Mario Andretti I got on the United app and officially switched us to the 8:50 AM flight.

At the airport there was no wait at the United Premier line to check bags and none at TSA Precheck (although the regular TSA lines were building).

After getting through TSA I looked at my watch.  It was 7:55 AM - just 25 minutes after we tapped our Medallions to disembark.  At that point we could walk leisurely to the gate with time to spare.

Everything aligned perfectly for us and we were so thankful that we were able to turn a negative experience following the cancellation into a huge positive.  We arrived home earlier than our original flights would have gotten us here.

After all of that would I outright book an early flight in the future?  Nope.  If the ship got in to port late or if there was a problem with a jet bridge or immigration staffing or any number of things happened to delay disembarkation that we've experienced in the past we would miss the flight.

But we would definitely check on the status of earlier flights and if we were in a position to make one of them we would do a last minute switch.  Getting off the ship early, having few other ships in port, and having TSA Precheck certainly helps as does booking with an airline that allows same day changes with no change in fees (in the case of cancellation they are pretty much all flexible but many air carriers are happy to get passengers out earlier).

Bottom line, you're taking a huge risk if you book the earlier flight.  It might work out for you but if one thing doesn't go right causing you to miss the early flight you'll likely have to go standby for later flights.

Edited by azbirdmom
  • Like 3

Have to agree with most of the nay sayers above.  We also when flying from FLL to our home airport always end up with a late flight time.  There just aren't that many options for flights for us.  It makes it worse that FLL is very strict about their not checking bags until certain time before departure time because of space (which I totally understand) however it makes it even more challenging.  But we either trek to FLL and sit and wait or go somewhere else closer to check-in time and then go to the airport.  I would hate to have a great vacation ruined by missing my return flight back home.  But then again at our age we are not big risk takers as we were in our younger years. 😂

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for your honest replies.

I knew 9:00am was going to be stressful, but haven't flown after a cruise in many years and wasn't sure how things are these days. (We have been traveling to Europe, but feel the need to cruise the Caribbean again)

We will look at 3:00pm flights.

• Like 3

We just got off the Sky 12/10-We did the walk off and left the ship at 7:05 There is some kind of new customs thing where you just do facial recognition- no passport no customs form and at 7:05 anyway no line at all. walked a few feet to awaiting taxi and straight to the airport ( We also have TSA precheck) We were checked in at the United desk at 7:35 am- Just our recent experience

• Like 1

My last time sailing out of Port Everglades had 9 ships disembarking included two of the largest Royal ships.  The airport was a zoo. Curbside check-in at the airport was 60 minutes.  Airline employees were walking the inside check in line pulling people out of line whose flights were near boarding time.  The time before, just walked up to the counter and right through security.

• Like 1

As most people said I would not do this.  Too risky.

Is it possible you will make it?  Yes.

However, there is a good chance you won't.  Even if it meant waiting for an afternoon flight or going to Miami I would not go with a 9:00 AM flight.

Keith

• Like 1

On 12/22/2022 at 10:44 AM, LImom said:

I have made an 8:15 flight before but that wasn't the flight I actually had booked. I paid for a flight change at the airport because I got there so early. I did express walk-off and took taxi to airport. I also had global entry for the pier, TSA precheck at the airport and I only had carryon luggage. That being said I dont think I would have actually booked that early of a flight.

Hi, Thank you for your reply. I have a question...you mentioned Global Entry. We also have Global Entry. It's been a while since cruising to the Caribbean. Do we need passports? (Ours need renewing, they expire May 2023) Can we use Global Entry at pier? I've only used upon returning to U.S. at airports. Thanks!

I would not even attempt it..........why put so much stress on that event?  I guess some folks don't worry about a risk but after being on a cruise for however many days, I have no desire to rush, rush, rush and omg, get to the airport and make sure everything goes well timing wise and etc....etc....etc........no thanks.  Would much rather just be last off the ship without a care about making such an early flight.

Oh yea, what if something happens and the ship actually does not arrive on time and you are already late starting that morning.........just go with the afternoon flight.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, llarsen said:

Hi, Thank you for your reply. I have a question...you mentioned Global Entry. We also have Global Entry. It's been a while since cruising to the Caribbean. Do we need passports? (Ours need renewing, they expire May 2023) Can we use Global Entry at pier? I've only used upon returning to U.S. at airports. Thanks!

I dont think that you can use global entry for cruises as proof of citizenship.In the past before they installed facial recognition at debarkation there was a separate line that moved quicker if you showed them your global entry card that bypassed the long lines. They still might have the separate line but im not sure because the last time I disembarked there was no line at all and the facial recognition was super fast so I didnt even look for it. I dont know what Caribbean  itinerary you are doing but you might be able to use birth certificate( with raised seal)  and a drivers license as proof of citizenship if it is a closed loop cruise but a passport is a better choice in case you need to get home from one of the Caribbean islands in an emergency. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, BabsinTX said:

In November we disembarked in FLL off Viking.  The ship arrived at 6AM, but immigration wasn't starting work until 7:30AM.  So immigration may be the biggest holdup.

That's been a problem in Miami as well. Customs / Immigration people may not be ready until 7.30 am, and nothing moves until they say so.

There's also the matter of the dogs sniffing around the baggage as it is removed from the ship.  They need some time to get their job done.

• Like 1

On 12/25/2022 at 12:48 PM, LImom said:

I dont think that you can use global entry for cruises as proof of citizenship.In the past before they installed facial recognition at debarkation there was a separate line that moved quicker if you showed them your global entry card that bypassed the long lines. They still might have the separate line but im not sure because the last time I disembarked there was no line at all and the facial recognition was super fast so I didnt even look for it. I dont know what Caribbean  itinerary you are doing but you might be able to use birth certificate( with raised seal)  and a drivers license as proof of citizenship if it is a closed loop cruise but a passport is a better choice in case you need to get home from one of the Caribbean islands in an emergency. 

Hi there do you happen to know if ALL the lines are facial recognition at Ft. Lauderdale? Last time I was there there was at least one that was the regular line.  We cruise in March 2023 so was curious. thank you in advance!!

13 minutes ago, Michele035 said:

Hi there do you happen to know if ALL the lines are facial recognition at Ft. Lauderdale? Last time I was there there was at least one that was the regular line.  We cruise in March 2023 so was curious. thank you in advance!!

I honestly dont remember, but I would imagine that there would be some type of lane set up for people who cant get the facial recognition to work or get a "see agent" message . FYI, I have only arrived at Ft Lauderdale on a Princess ship so im not sure if facial recognition is at all terminals.

• Like 1

As mentioned, we book the later flight and try to move to the earlier one at the airport.  Of course, this works best in off peak times.  Early in the day also is good at FLL - not too busy, but once those cruise buses start arriving, look out!

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/28/2022 at 8:46 AM, LImom said:

I honestly dont remember, but I would imagine that there would be some type of lane set up for people who cant get the facial recognition to work or get a "see agent" message . FYI, I have only arrived at Ft Lauderdale on a Princess ship so im not sure if facial recognition is at all terminals.

On 12/25/2022 at 10:57 AM, llarsen said:

Just cruised RCL over Thanksgiving...There were 2 lines ... 1 for Passport holders (used facial recognition) and for Birth Certificate holders. Not sure if all cruise lines have Facial setup with Immigration. Since Royal has several Oasis size ships with 6000+ passengers ...this may have been setup to accomodate passenger flow for RCL

• Like 1

On 1/15/2023 at 10:21 AM, lcpagejr said:

Just cruised RCL over Thanksgiving...There were 2 lines ... 1 for Passport holders (used facial recognition) and for Birth Certificate holders. Not sure if all cruise lines have Facial setup with Immigration. Since Royal has several Oasis size ships with 6000+ passengers ...this may have been setup to accomodate passenger flow for RCL

Facial recognition is now also used on Princess, Celebrity, Carnival and NCL.  RCI doesn't have exclusivity with it.