The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday December 23rd, 2022

rafinmd

Good morning, everyone.  

Many thanks to @rafinmd for posting the Daily today.   It really is a community effort.  

Sue arrived yesterday afternoon well ahead of the snow and wind.  We were both quite thankful for that.  I had already moved her bedroom into one of the other three downstairs.  She had the large one, but the boiler, aka The Beast, was in a closet in her room and it was way overheated.  Now she's in a much cooler room.  

The snow wasn't as heavy as predicted but the blowing and drifting are the problem.  It is currently 11F with a wind chill of -6F.  Nothing like they get on @ger_77's frozen tundra, but pretty cold to us.  

Today's meal is interesting.  I bet it tastes really good, especially if you can find fresh chives.  I only found one recipe for exactly what the meal of the day is.  It is on a website selling spices, but ignore that and just use salt and pepper.  Warning:   this contains olives!    https://www.selmagique.com/recipes/roasted-tomato-chive-pizza/

1459644062_tomatoandchivepizza1.thumb.jpg.ba60015421947b811e74d4a284c03256.jpg

This next one is for a roasted tomato pizza sauce.  You could add a few tomatoes and some chives to it.  Or just have a cheese pizza.  No olives here.   https://www.thursdaynightpizza.com/roasted-tomato-pizza-sauce/

1517378830_tomatoandchivepizza2.jpg.8860a1a4656c0c4c0927632e4f60eade.jpg

Or how about roasted garlic and tomato pizza?   I'll take mine without the burnt parts.  https://www.thursdaynightpizza.com/white-pizza-with-roasted-garlic-and-tomatoes/

1821215263_tomatoandchivepizza3.jpg.19e2a6f376a0e348dcf9244b3d760a7b.jpg

How about roasted tomatoes with basil?   Sounds good to me!  https://fortheloveofcooking.net/2014/11/roasted-tomato-pizza-with-fresh-basil-and-homemade-pizza-sauce.html

1502071519_tomatoandchivepizza4.jpg.6988081ced89d7eec609b5c7553c190a.jpg

Hope that gives  you all some ideas to make pizza a little different from the norm.   Wishing you all a wonderful day!

• Like 18
  • Thanks 10

Good morning everyone from a rainy, windy and warm Boston.  It’s gift wrapping day so I’ll pass on binge watching Christmas movies.  I would try a cookie though.  I like today’s quote but will pass on the meal and drink.  I have been to Key West many times over the years but never on a cruise.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list and especially for everyone traveling this weekend.  Cheers to everyone celebrating happy events!🎄

• Like 20

Both sets of my grandparents were PA Dutch.  Thank you for reminding me of a delicious cookie they used to make.  Here is my grandmother’s recipe.

PFEFFERNUSSE

• 3 eggs
  • ½ lb. powdered sugar
  • 2 cups flour
  • ½ tsp. cinnamon
  • ¼ tsp. cloves
  • ¼ tsp. nutmeg
  • ½ tsp. soda
  • ¼ tsp. salt
  • 1 lemon, juice and rind

Beat eggs well, gradually add powdered sugar, lemon juice and grated rind. Sift flour and add salt, soda and spices. Sift again and add to egg and sugar mixture. Beat to form smooth, medium-soft dough. Chill in refrigerator for several hours. Roll out on floured board, into long finger-shaped sticks. Cut into small marble sized pieces and bake on greased baking sheets in hot oven (425-f) until they turn a light, golden brown.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 6

Thank you Rich, double-thank you Roy, thank you Debbie, thank you Cat Shepard, and thank you Dixie for your daily contribution! And thank you all for being here!

We had rain/freezing rain all day yesterday which really threw Sam for a loop! He was content with the weather but if we left him outside it takes about four-five bath towels to dry him off. He probably asked to go outside eight times yesterday. Today it is dry but very windy with temps dropping to single digits during the day and overnight. Just checked Sam and he is in his glory serveilling his realm!

Stay Safe!

- Jack

DSC04709.thumb.JPG.6dc173ff3740fcf1675ab19e5bad99ec.JPG

• Like 27

13 minutes ago, 0106 said:

Both sets of my grandparents were PA Dutch.  Thank you for reminding me of a delicious cookie they used to make.  Here is my grandmother’s recipe.

PFEFFERNUSSE

• 3 eggs
  • ½ lb. powdered sugar
  • 2 cups flour
  • ½ tsp. cinnamon
  • ¼ tsp. cloves
  • ¼ tsp. nutmeg
  • ½ tsp. soda
  • ¼ tsp. salt
  • 1 lemon, juice and rind

Beat eggs well, gradually add powdered sugar, lemon juice and grated rind. Sift flour and add salt, soda and spices. Sift again and add to egg and sugar mixture. Beat to form smooth, medium-soft dough. Chill in refrigerator for several hours. Roll out on floured board, into long finger-shaped sticks. Cut into small marble sized pieces and bake on greased baking sheets in hot oven (425-f) until they turn a light, golden brown.

Great recipe, much like the one I have made. But, if you have an Aldi or Lidl near you, they sell a very good cookie. I picked up a bag while we were in Virginia.

FEAD7277-DCBF-4FF6-8343-D3E752E32FAD.jpeg

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

It's still raining, but that will change to snow in the next hour or so and then the temperature will drop all day.

The meal suggestion would be OK with me, but dinner will likely be salmon. I wouldn't mind having Pfeffernüsse but the cookies I baked are chocolate chip. @RedneckBob Shouldn't the key lime pie be battered and fried before the chocolate coating goes on?

For my birthday (today) I started a fund-raiser on "Spacenook" for the International Rescue Committee. I don't have very many actual friends there--more are professional contacts--but it was fully subscribed within an hour.

1905850993_FiggyPudding.thumb.gif.f1ee53eb84cce15bcccf9ab9578323fa.gif

• Like 21
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

It's still raining, but that will change to snow in the next hour or so and then the temperature will drop all day.

The meal suggestion would be OK with me, but dinner will likely be salmon. I wouldn't mind having Pfeffernüsse but the cookies I baked are chocolate chip. @RedneckBob Shouldn't the key lime pie be battered and fried before the chocolate coating goes on?

For my birthday (today) I started a fund-raiser on "Spacenook" for the International Rescue Committee. I don't have very many actual friends there--more are professional contacts--but it was fully subscribed within an hour.

Happy birthday to you!   🎂  Hope the snow doesn't come down too heavy.

• Like 15

12 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

Happy birthday.

CF584717-26A5-44A4-97D1-8B0594A9F898.gif.4dead2d84240e63b1802ba524077b0af.gif

• Like 11

Good morning  on Christmas Eve Eve as we call it here. I used to make six different  Swedish cookies until about 10 years ago.I have lost the desire to bake completely.Fortunately DD loves to bake so there will be goodies tomorrow. DD and SIL are also starting prep for Swedish Christmas  Eve.It is a smorgasbord  and great fun. The traditional dessert my mom made was rice pudding  to go with the cookies.Yum.

I drove to Key West in my youth and loved it.The recipe looks great Debbie @dfish, thanks.I am glad Sue is safely with you but the temps sound awful.

It will get cold here later but is rainy and windy right now.

Tana's aide has been out sick with no replacement possible.Everyone has pitched in to help and we continue to muddle  through.Last night was hard  as I could not assist her to the bathroom and I had to wake up DD.We will sleep later!

Stay safe out there  everyone. 

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

Yum, yum!  Sounds good to me. I will be over this afternoon for a taste test. Where the h*ll is Planet Earth. Oh I know, the third planet from the Sun 😀

• Like 8
  • Haha 6

Good morning! It’s a pretty active household this morning with two granddaughters under three checking each other out and the seven year old granddaughter trying to be in charge!!

It’s still 65 degrees but wind is starting pick up but The cold air will be later tonight.

Jacksonville area is abuzz this morning after their Jacksonville Jaguars dominated and won last nights football game over the NY Jets.

Roy thanks so much for taking on the Fleet Report, Care List and even Bon Voyage post for Kazu. Your a loyal member of Cruise Critic Community.

Have a great day everyone and stay safe and warm.

image.jpeg.6cbe53d57154ca7d4d673909d02a93b1.jpegimage.jpeg.2c34cf96fe139c0d9830654e027f18ca.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.663fca59b51d6c98d0b73fa94f735c7c.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Haha 15

42 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

Happy birthday! 

The wind is just howling. Thank goodness the snow has been light it it would be impossible to see.  I really should go to DDs house to pick up the doggy coat (4km) but I don’t want to go out. Poor Stella May have to do with the back yard today and no walk. It isn’t fit for man or beast. -12c with feels like at -25c. Yikes.and wind gusts at 75km/hr. The lights have flickered a couple of times but power is still on. 

Edited by superoma
Add
  • Like 20

33 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning  on Christmas Eve Eve as we call it here. I used to make six different  Swedish cookies until about 10 years ago.I have lost the desire to bake completely.Fortunately DD loves to bake so there will be goodies tomorrow. DD and SIL are also starting prep for Swedish Christmas  Eve.It is a smorgasbord  and great fun. The traditional dessert my mom made was rice pudding  to go with the cookies.Yum.

I drove to Key West in my youth and loved it.The recipe looks great Debbie @dfish, thanks.I am glad Sue is safely with you but the temps sound awful.

Tana's aide has been out sick with no replacement possible.Everyone has pitched in to help and we continue to muddle  through.Last night was hard  as I could not assist her to the bathroom and I had to wake up DD.We will sleep later!

Take care Terry

I hope your recovery from hip surgery is going as planned.

Best wishes for Tana.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Covid tests are negative so time to pack my clothes.  Lists of foods to take are made, and the kitchen table is covered with items we need to cook dinner with.  The coolers will be loaded in the early hours of tomorrow morning.  Sounds like @aliaschief!

Pleased for you Sandi.

Take care on your drive and I hope you have an amazing Christmas with your family.

Graham.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Covid tests are negative so time to pack my clothes.  Lists of foods to take are made, and the kitchen table is covered with items we need to cook dinner with.  The coolers will be loaded in the early hours of tomorrow morning.  Sounds like @aliaschief!

Safe travels.

36 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

I'm glad  you liked the recipes.  Sorry that Tana's aide is out sick.  Hopefully, others are pitching in as both of you need help!

52 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

101-Best-Happy-Birthday-Memes-12-720x720.jpg.76556bb5e390ac3c8df51692cbf4ec7e.jpg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

Good morning. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily @rafinmd.

I'm one of the few who has never watched Seinfeld, but I've heard of Festivus. No time to watch Christmas movies today. I like Pfeffernusse and have made them in the past. Great quote. The meal sounds good (sans olives!). Pass on the drink and I'll take the wine.

I've never been to Key West. It was to be the first stop on my aborted cruise last month.

Well, the weather is frightful. We've dropped from 40F early this AM to 4F, with a wind chill of -22F. The winds have been howling, up to 55 mph, rattling my storm windows. Ice and snow on the roads. Luckily I still have power, although I see reports of outages around me. I'm going to try to bake a couple of things while I still can. Praying my power stays on with it being so cold out!

@rafinmd Thanks for stepping in for Rich today starting the Fleet Report and for our lists.

@grapau27 Early Happy Birthday to Sarah!

@Crazy For Cats Good to hear you're feeling better.

@dfish I'm glad Sue arrived safely. 

@kochleffel Happy Birthday!

@smitty34877 Swedish Christmas Eve sounds delightful. Sorry to hear there's been no aide for Tana; hopefully that is remedied soon. Take care of yourself too.

@StLouisCruisers Good news on the tests, and safe travels tomorrow.

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone.

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 5

Good morning!  Normally I’m not up this early but couldn’t get back to sleep.  

Happy Festivus!  We’ve been watching Christmas movies all week, last night was Home Alone. DGD seemed to enjoy it. I didn’t make any Christmas cookies this year but our DS’s SO did and we’ll enjoy them tomorrow. 

Today we are doing some last minute shopping. Then Chipotle for lunch. 

Happy Birthday @kochleffel!!  Enjoy!

Safe travels to those traveling today and tomorrow. Take care in this cold crazy weather. Have a great day!

• Like 18