What to do at Circular Quay for 5 hours with baggage??

bazzaw

We have got our boarding time for QE 3-4PM and we have to be out of Rydges Hotel Circular Quay by 10AM . Will have two wheely suitcases - one each. Have never been allocated such a late boarding time before . 

5 minutes ago, bazzaw said:

We have got our boarding time for QE 3-4PM and we have to be out of Rydges Hotel Circular Quay by 10AM . Will have two wheely suitcases - one each. Have never been allocated such a late boarding time before . 

Barry, at 10am bag drop should be operating at street level outside terminal. As for your late check in, perhaps every body will be late, due to ship covid clean up? So drop your bags and go for a ferry ride to Manly.

Above all, enjoy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Barry, at 10am bag drop should be operating at street level outside terminal. As for your late check in, perhaps every body will be late, due to ship covid clean up? So drop your bags and go for a ferry ride to Manly.

Above all, enjoy.

Yes - plenty to do in that area IF we can get rid of the bags. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bazzaw said:

Yes - plenty to do in that area IF we can get rid of the bags. 

Yep drop your cases off at the terminal as suggested and enjoy the area.  Even when we had an early embarkation time we would avoid the crowds by turning up at a later time. Saved all that queuing up. Started doing that after suffering in a massive line up in the boiling hot sun. You will also find that most hotels will allow you to leave your cases in storage.I preferred dropping them off at the terminal save going back to the hotel. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bazzaw said:

Your hotel should store them until the afternoon.

Edited by Chiliburn
  • Like 3

Any of the above. When staying at the Rydges, I will wheel the cases over to baggage drop straight after breakfast, then come back and chill in the hotel till 10am check-out.

If for some unexplained reason bag drop is not open, the hotel concierge will look after them for you.

The City Extra storage would be worthwhile if you didn't have a hotel, and most handy for those disembarking and wanting to do some sightseeing before heading to the airport. Unlike plan A and plan B, there is a cost. While dining at City Extra in October, that "Store your luggage here" sign had a full sign over the top of it.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Any of the above. When staying at the Rydges, I will wheel the cases over to baggage drop straight after breakfast, then come back and chill in the hotel till 10am check-out.

Drop your bags at OPT come back to the hotel for a few hours until checkout and leave your carry on bags at the hotel.

After some adventures pick up your carry on’s before boarding.

Some better hotels will even let you have a shower and a swim.

• Like 1

Luggage drop is normally open before 8. What day are you there?  rocks Markets are an interesting browse Sat and Sun. A wander around the opera house (even a coffee by the water) a walk down under the Bridge, a Ferry Ride. So many options depending on your interests.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

Drop your bags at OPT come back to the hotel for a few hours until checkout and leave your carry on bags at the hotel.

After some adventures pick up your carry on’s before boarding.

Some better hotels will even let you have a shower and a swim.

The really good ones will let you check-out fashionably late if there isn't too much demand on the rooms.

6 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

Your hotel should store them until the afternoon.

That is what I was going to say.  First ask for a late check out.  I usually get an hour or two.  Then store your luggage at the hotel you are checking out from.  

• Like 1

I do not have anything to add to the great information already posted by the good CC folk on this thread. Reading this thread just made me think how this little community works together to provide information from all of our collective experiences, without the nastiness or misinformation often found on other boards and social media.

I have seen in other places where asking such a question would subject the poster to abuse or ridicule, or unhelpful suggestions.

HAPPY NEW YEAR to all & hope that all the cruising and posting is all enjoyed by all.

Cheers

• Like 9

I have found that even some simple and obviously sincere questions are ridiculed, and the posters abused, on some American boards. Many of the responses are humourless, belligerent, condescending and arrogant.

What is it with these people?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Obilix said:

I have found that even some simple and obviously sincere questions are ridiculed, and the posters abused, on some American boards. Many of the responses are humourless, belligerent, condescending and arrogant.

What is it with these people?

Some people are just ……

When we had a  boarding time of 4:30 in November we took the ferry out to Watson's Bay.

Another time when the ship was delayed due to high winds (7pm boarding that day) we went to the movie theatre around near the Opera House as I couldn't be on my feet all day but that was before covid.

• Like 1

On 12/30/2022 at 9:38 AM, bazzaw said:

IF we can get rid of the bags. 

We put our bags into storage at the hotel including our walk on/carry on bags and just take a small backpack each with the important stuff, I use to worry a bit at first but we have never had a problem.

• Like 1

On 12/30/2022 at 12:58 PM, GUT2407 said:

Luggage drop is normally open before 8. What day are you there?  rocks Markets are an interesting browse Sat and Sun. A wander around the opera house (even a coffee by the water) a walk down under the Bridge, a Ferry Ride. So many options depending on your interests.

GUT2407 great suggestions, and will investigate some when I cruise early March.  Also in the past I have caught a ferry around the harbour.... out to Watson's Bay but I stayed on the ferry while it did its loop back to Circular Quay.  A great, and cheap,  way to see our beautiful harbour.   You could also throw in a visit to Taronga Zoo which is reached by ferry too.

46 minutes ago, CCC's said:

GUT2407 great suggestions, and will investigate some when I cruise early March.  Also in the past I have caught a ferry around the harbour.... out to Watson's Bay but I stayed on the ferry while it did its loop back to Circular Quay.  A great, and cheap,  way to see our beautiful harbour.   You could also throw in a visit to Taronga Zoo which is reached by ferry too.

Personally I’d say 5 hours isn’t enough for the zoo, unless it is your only chance.

9 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Personally I’d say 5 hours isn’t enough for the zoo, unless it is your only chance.

I agree.

It's a bit much if you want to see anything else.

I'd stick to the Rocks and around the Opera House. Perhaps the botanical gardens, if that's your thing.

If you are moderately energetic and don't mind a long flight of stairs:

Take the 5-minute ferry ride to Milsons Point (from Wharf 5 at Circular Quay). From there follow the signs to Milsons Point TRAIN station. (5 minutes)

From there you can access the steps up to the pedestrian walkway across the Harbour Bridge for spectacular views. Cross the bridge, and on the city end stick to your left and you end up in the Rocks and eventually back at Circular Quay. I find that by doing the walk in that order it's nicer, because you have the city/opera house in front of you and it's easier to find the bridge access (well, EXIT in that case) on the city side.