Charge/Use of Princess OBC?

PaperSniper4

On our next cruise in March 2023 I have about $350 of OBC. Only about $150 of that could be refunded if not used. The rest is a Princess OBC which I must use for the cruise or lose. I want to book excursion<s>, but I only want to use that Princess OBC, I no NOT want to pay now. Recently I made reservations at the Crown Grill and my credit card was charged, not my OBC. That did not make me happy.

I ought to know this, but I can't remember: If I book an excursion now, three months before the cruise, will they use my credit card as they did for the Crown Grill or my Princess OBC? If the former, I will just wait until I'm on the ship, but of course I risk the potential of no space on the tour.

Doug

I have been able to book shore excursions on a number of upcoming cruises using OBC (both refundable and non refundable).  I select the tour, add to cart and then during the payment process the cost is deducted from the OBC.

One note though—both my hubby and I will have OBC but one of us will have more based on the shareholders credit.  I have been unable to use my excess OBC to pay for hubby’s tour if he has used up his OBC.  Doesn’t seem to be a way of transferring OBC to another’s account.

When you get to the checkout/payment page when reserving an excursion don't just whiz through the screens!  There should be a radio button to select if you want to use OBC.  I just did this a few nights ago.  Unless you are looking for it (which I was, this time) you could easily miss it since it is NOT the default.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You can pre-book excursions using any OBC that shows in your travel summary. Follow the procedure in post #3.  Unless something has recently changed it is important to note that OBC when used to book excursions on line is calculated individually. Example: You wish to book an excursion for for two at a cost of $150 each. Person 1 has $300 OBC, person 2 has $50 OBC. When booking for person 1 $150 OBC will be used. When booking for person 2 $50 OBC will be used and $100 will be charged to the credit card. They way around this program problem is to actually call Princess. If you get the right person they can apply OBC for the entire $300.

Please note that you can only use OBC to pre-book excursions, nothing else like specialty dining.

13 hours ago, skynight said:

You can pre-book excursions using any OBC that shows in your travel summary. Follow the procedure in post #3.  Unless something has recently changed it is important to note that OBC when used to book excursions on line is calculated individually. Example: You wish to book an excursion for for two at a cost of $150 each. Person 1 has $300 OBC, person 2 has $50 OBC. When booking for person 1 $150 OBC will be used. When booking for person 2 $50 OBC will be used and $100 will be charged to the credit card. They way around this program problem is to actually call Princess. If you get the right person they can apply OBC for the entire $300.

Please note that you can only use OBC to pre-book excursions, nothing else like specialty dining.

Thanks very much to all of you who replied and set me straight.😎

Yeah, we're in that different-OBC-for-different people described above. I've got military and stock ownership, my wife has less, but enough to cover her portion of the Houston Tour/Shuttle I want to book for us.

So I messed up booking that specialty dining since it went onto my credit card. The other option was to wait until onboard and use OBC. But, I wanted the date and time I chose, so it's okay.

Doug

Another question re: using OBC— 

can OBC be used to pay for the $60pp/per day plus drink…package once you are on-board the ship?  Sailing fall of 2023. Asking for a friend who has $500 OBC.

• Like 1

To the OP- OBC can be used to purchase shore excursions. They can not be used to reserve/ pay for special dining. Your CC will be charged for special dining, however, may be credited back to you when you actually are on the ship.

This was our experience in September on the Grand.

21 minutes ago, Minimama said:

Can OBC be used at the end towards gratuities?

What I've seen is that the grats are applied on a daily basis, and on a daily basis the obc is applied to them.

• Like 1

On 1/2/2023 at 4:59 AM, dog said:

Another question re: using OBC— 

can OBC be used to pay for the $60pp/per day plus drink…package once you are on-board the ship?  Sailing fall of 2023. Asking for a friend who has $500 OBC.

No. The Plus and Premier packages have to be purchased before boarding the ship. You can’t purchase them once you are on the ship. We tried in November and the answer was “no”. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KLM3164 said:

No. The Plus and Premier packages have to be purchased before boarding the ship. You can’t purchase them once you are on the ship. We tried in November and the answer was “no”. 

Actually princess has changed that.  We can now purchase plus and premier on the first day of the cruise. It's a game changer for me, since we normally have massive amounts of on-board

1. Can I purchase Princess Plus or Princess Premier when I’m on board?
    Yes. Princess Plus and Princess Premier will be available to purchase on board beginning with voyages sailing 2/20/23 and beyond. You may purchase a package on the first day of your voyage.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, Minimama said:

Can OBC be used at the end towards gratuities?

It is automatic. The OBC is a credit posted to your on board account and will show up when your board. Daily gratuities are a debit and automatically net against any credit or debit balance. You don't specifically indicate that you want to use the OBC. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, justafem said:

Actually princess has changed that.  We can now purchase plus and premier on the first day of the cruise. It's a game changer for me, since we normally have massive amounts of on-board

Yes. Princess Plus and Princess Premier will be available to purchase on board beginning with voyages sailing 2/20/23 and beyond. You may purchase a package on the first day of your voyage.

then it won't be 'cruise fare' and subject to Princess/Aon insurance cost (8%)

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, justafem said:

Wow that’s great news!!! Thanks for the update. We have another cruise in November where we didn’t buy a package and now we will be able to use our OBC to purchase the Plus package. I also like that you most likely won’t have to pay the cost for the insurance like you do now when you book a package before you cruise. Will save another 8%!  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KLM3164 said:

Wow that’s great news!!! Thanks for the update. We have another cruise in November where we didn’t buy a package and now we will be able to use our OBC to purchase the Plus package. I also like that you most likely won’t have to pay the cost for the insurance like you do now when you book a package before you cruise. Will save another 8%!  

It's for that reason, I don't add anything at booking.  No plus, no prepaid grats.  That 8% adds up and all of what I mentioned is fully refundable.  And IMO should be counted as part of the insurance cost. 

On 1/2/2023 at 4:52 AM, PaperSniper4 said:

I messed up booking that specialty dining since it went onto my credit card.

You can cancel that then book onboard if you want to use OBC. On my last 7 cruises (8/21->) they have had open tables at almost all times

• Like 1

Anothger queston I ought to know but it's been awhile since I've sailed on a CCL cruise line:

On my next cruise I have some OBC from booking the cruise.

Also some OBC from my TA.

Then OBC in recognition of my military service.

Lastly, OBC from the Stock Owner benefit program.

USED to be, the OBC from my TA was always refundable if not used. OBC from the cruise line was never refundable if not used.

But I cannot remember how the military and stock ownership works? Anyone had experience with them lately?

Also, I just had a lengthy "chat" discussion with a Princess rep. She told me I could NOT use any OBC today for airport transfers for our cruise that sails the end of March from Galveston. I wanted to know if I could use some of  that OBC for purchasing airport transfers. She said no, but I could ask for a refund and change to my OBC instead ONCE ONBOARD. So I directed my TA to add the airport transfers to my account. Seems a little cumbersome to do things that way.....but I've got a transcript of our chat and will take that with me when I board.😎

Doug

Doug