New $9.95 + 18% grat for room service

Elros

23 minutes ago, natshala said:

Yes. That’s what it is. Odd, huh?

Generally a gratuity is paid on the food bill. When there's a delivery fee on food (like Grub Hub or Uber Eats) the gratuity is paid as a percentage of the food cost.

18 minutes ago, Luvcrusn said:

Generally a gratuity is paid on the food bill. When there's a delivery fee on food (like Grub Hub or Uber Eats) the gratuity is paid as a percentage of the food cost.

Celebrity just calls the $9.95 as a charge, not a delivery fee.  So it is just like the cover charge to eat at a specialty dining restaurant which also has a gratuity paid on top of that cover charge.

16 minutes ago, prmssk said:

Celebrity just calls the $9.95 as a charge, not a delivery fee.

It doesn't matter what Celebrity calls it--

Many folks don't like it because in the past room service was free.

Things change-- As I mentioned in a previous post, the deli " Special " was increased by $2--

So, either Pinboy pays the extra $ 2 or complains to Benny about it---( poor decision--- really dumb ).

Then either receives a smaller sandwich, less fries, no pickle and a 1/2 glass of diet coke , or even worse--- has to listen to Benny mumbling about the costs of food, rent, taxes, wages, and what his wife's hairdresser , the sob, charges.

The $9.95 charge wouldn't bother me or stop me from ordering room service.

Now, the Free 5 minute massage that ended up at $347 ---- Nope, can't talk about it any more !!!

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Wakepatrol said:

Did people send letters to the airlines when they started charging for bags?

How’d that work out? 

What? I think it worked really well. I think you meant to refer to this regulation that came out as a result:

§ 399.88 Prohibition on post-purchase price increase.

(a) It is an unfair and deceptive practice within the meaning of 49 U.S.C. 41712 for any seller of scheduled air transportation within, to or from the United States, or of a tour (i.e., a combination of air transportation and ground or cruise accommodations), or tour component (e.g., a hotel stay) that includes scheduled air transportation within, to or from the United States, to increase the price of that air transportation, tour or tour component to a consumer, including but not limited to an increase in the price of the seat, an increase in the price for the carriage of passenger baggage, or an increase in an applicable fuel surcharge, after the air transportation has been purchased by the consumer, except in the case of an increase in a government-imposed tax or fee. A purchase is deemed to have occurred when the full amount agreed upon has been paid by the consumer.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/399.88

• Like 2

1 hour ago, prmssk said:

Celebrity just calls the $9.95 as a charge, not a delivery fee.  So it is just like the cover charge to eat at a specialty dining restaurant which also has a gratuity paid on top of that cover charge.

Lipstick on a pig...still a pig!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MamaToMany said:

Why not? I occasionally leave my family home and sail solo. A quiet breakfast on my verandah is absolutely lovely, and I enjoy having it delivered right to me!

Complementary breakfast is one thing, but I can't see spending $12 for a sandwich to be delivered 

8 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Complementary breakfast is one thing, but I can't see spending $12 for a sandwich to be delivered 

Ah. I misunderstood the first time. No- I will not be spending the extra money for hot breakfast. Coffee and pastries? Maybe so. We shall see. I sail on Saturday.

• Like 1

This changed on our cruise as of Jan 2/23.  There was no charge when ordered, but the app displayed the new pricing. There was no communication, so I presume the "nickel and diming" was set to start with the next passengers. 18% is ridiculous with automatic gratuities, essentially paying 18% for poor service.  The same cash tip would give much better service. The all-inclusive package is downgraded by poor service.  Much better service if you tip a few bucks with every drink which should not be required.

So this fee encourages pax to go to OVC and make their own TO GO plates and take back to room....How much more food waste will occur since ppl will overload plates to avoid making 2nd trip. Did the bean counters not calculate this food waste into their decision?

Add the $9.95 fee, and increase selection to better justify what you want from me, which is more money, in return I want better variety/quality of food from room service. Should keep both sides of the fence happy...er.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Dave Simpson said:

Are you allowed / encouraged to pop into OVC and grab breakfast / coffee to eat on veranda. 

Do they have trays to use?   

Seems like a no brainer.  pay $11 and wait for probably cold food or run up yourself and get what you want.

Yes you are allowed. Trays, no. 

1 hour ago, Dave Simpson said:

The same cash tip would give much better service.

Correct--- However, based on a recent thread " Do you tip for room service ? ", too many folks refuse to tip for room service delivery.

They " claim " that it's included in the AI package. ( total BS )

They know damn well that it's not and use it as an excuse to " stiff " the person who delivers their order.

The same people are in line to remove Gratuities at the end of the cruise---- so they don't have to face the staff member(s) they " stiffed " during the cruise.

• Like 2

expect lots of  spilled food in halls and elevators.. and hot coffee carried too!

we will also stockpile juices , snacks  &  other items..just in case hunger strikes!   Glamping..Celebrity Style

• Haha 2