Potential first time on Princess AND potential first solo cruise - advice?

talkorpi

I am considering booking a solo trip on Ruby out of Galveston next month.  The price is nice and I could use a break at that time.  However, I have never cruised solo before.  On top of that, I've also never cruised with Princess before.  Can anyone give me an idea of what to expect for both?  I'm a relatively quiet person so I'm not looking for all the craziness found on Carnival or similar lines.  Princess looks attractive to me but I would like to know what to expect both from the line and as a relatively shy solo travleler before I book.

Princess can be pretty sedate, but there are also a lot of activities going on if that’s what you like to do. We choose the quiet ares 😊. Once you’re booked download the medallion app and you can make your dining reservations. You can select a table by yourself or with others. Obviously your meal will be faster alone than at a table with others. We’ve seen singles dining alone fairly often, so if that’s your preference, enjoy! We like to book the same time (fairly early) every night and feel we get the best service that way as we have the same servers nightly and they take great care of us. 

43 minutes ago, talkorpi said:

I am considering booking a solo trip on Ruby out of Galveston next month.  The price is nice and I could use a break at that time.  However, I have never cruised solo before.  On top of that, I've also never cruised with Princess before.  Can anyone give me an idea of what to expect for both?  I'm a relatively quiet person so I'm not looking for all the craziness found on Carnival or similar lines.  Princess looks attractive to me but I would like to know what to expect both from the line and as a relatively shy solo travleler before I book.

1. I'll be on the Ruby in April, solo (like all my trips so far).  Your experience is likely to be instructive to me, or at least entertaining. 😃  So kindly report back!  Please and thank you!!
  2. I've been on Princess twice.  I don't have a lot to say about it.  It's a good cruise line.  The crew are friendly and work hard.  The Medallion and the App are nice - when they work.
  3. There's a dedicated solo cruisers forum at https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/279-solo-cruisers/ .
  4. About solo cruising, the one thing I'll say now is you need to decide how much contact you want with other people.  Because there will be other people around nearly everywhere, it seems.  But if you want to avoid crowds, there will be places where you can do that.  

Good luck and have fun on your cruise!

• Like 1

I've done seven solo cruises in 2022 (six with Princess, including 3 TAs).  If you travel solo, it's up to you how much you'll enjoy the cruise.   Do you live alone or enjoy traveling by yourself?  If so, you'll have a good time.  If you're used to traveling with others, perhaps not you will not. If you travel by yourself, you can do what YOU want, when YOU want.

There is usually a "solo group" organized through the CC Roll Call and also a daily meeting time at a given bar.  If you enjoy meeting new people, go to a couple of those meetings and see if there are people, you're compatible with.  You can end up hanging out with them during parts of the cruise. 

Tell the headwaiter you'd like to share a table at dinner in the MDR.  You'll meet interesting people and even if you don't like them, at worst, you've spent 90 minutes with them and may never see them again.

This answer is sort of all over the place, but in my opinion, traveling solo is what you make of it.

• Like 2

We have met some very interesting people who were traveling solo. We have met them at dinner and often while playing the various trivia sessions. We are always happy to have them join us for trivia and we have met some truly fascinating people at dinner. On Ruby, if one wants to be alone to read, nap, or whatever there is always Adagio. In the daytime the bar is closed in Adagio and it is a very peaceful spot. One can sit by a window if desired or in the middle of the room if no window is required. There is a back door out to a small deck area and quick access from there to the aft bar or the rear entrance to the buffet. You can grab a drink or a bite to eat and eat it at an outside table or take your drink and snack back to the quiet of Adagio.

One can also find a peaceful place to read in Skywalker's during the day. Lots of places for quiet "alone time" if desired but also lots of places to interact with other passengers. The solo folks we have met seem to enjoy Princess.

There are some (idiotic) Texas restrictions on drinks which come into play when sailing into or out of Galveston but once you are a little bit out to sea those restrictions vanish.

• Like 1

Usually, you must pay for two people even if flying solo.  Sometimes Princess will allow you to pay for one person.  You may want to contact your travel agent to see if they can locate cruises without the solo supplement.  There is also a website - CruisePlum Solo Deals - which you can review to see cruises from Princess and other lines without the supplement.  I've went solo once and enjoyed it.  I have another scheduled for February.  Princess travelers are generally very friendly and inclusive.  Have fun cruising.

Edited by candy4040

4 hours ago, talkorpi said:

While I’ve been on Princess before, I did my first 7 day solo cruise last November. A couple of days before the cruise I was kind of freaking out and thinking what am I doing? As soon as I walked on the ship, I got a Prosecco, sat in the Piazza and had the biggest smile on my face, I was so excited for the adventure ahead.

I had the absolute best time ever! It was one of  my favorite cruises. What was really nice is just not having to coordinate with anyone else on what they wanted to do. I could change my plans at any moment and it was great. A couple of times, I just grabbed a drink & burger for lunch on my balcony and it was great. 

I met a lot of great people and would meet up at the pool or hung out at The Take Five jazz club every night. 

I love Princess, they are a little more laid back but have so much entertainment going on. 

This was definitely not my last solo cruise, I can’t wait to go again.

Have a great time!

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, talkorpi said:

Thanks for the tips everyone.  I still haven't booked yet as I'm pretty hesitant but this is helpful.

I cruise quite frequently with my DH but found myself wanting to cruise while he was away on his annual buddies trip.  Princess sometimes offers solo fares so took advantage of that.  I had so much fun.  I don’t know if I’d do a 10 day alone again but I would certainly do a 5 or 7 day solo cruise now that I’ve tried it.  
I met so many nice people and took advantage of doing all the craft activities.  People I met onboard actually saved me a chair for these.  I wasn’t ever lonely, watched how much drank, took many walks, went to the shows, scheduled dinner, went to the parties, watched movies, etc.  it was very relaxing and so much fun!  I’m glad it did it.  I really loved meeting so many kind people onboard.  
There are singles and solo cruiser meetings set up on Princess.  I never went to one but some people make a point of going.  I am pretty outgoing so met all sorts of nice couples and singles in the piazza, at Vines and in Crooners.  

• Like 2

I really encourage you to give it a try.  It's only 7 days (assuming).  If you don't try you'll never know.  If you hate it, there's an end in sight.  I'm an introvert.  I'm not the type to ask to join a trivia team but I do find myself interacting more with other passengers than when I'm traveling with someone.  It also helps to not care what other people think.  You can be anyone you want to be.  Smile--but don't expect everyone to be receptive.  It's not you, it's them.

I don't eat in the MDR.  If I'm alone in the buffet I find the attendants to be chatty.  And on Princess they'll bring you water or other beverages.  My first solo was on NCL and the drinks could be tricky if my hands were full or I didn't want to leave my plate unattended.  Princess also has free room service and TV/movie selection if you want to just chill in your cabin.

My first solo was Alaska, then a Pacific Coastal, and finally the British Isles all within a year.  I'm so proud of myself for going for it.  I hope you will too.

Edited by SomewhereGirl
  • Like 2

I find it really interesting that nobody has mentioned The Sanctuary.  If I were a solo traveler, and possibly choosing a lower priced cabin to avoid some of the pain of the single supplement pricing, I'd be booking time in The Sanctuary.  Great place to relax, laid back, good views, most of the time.

When I cruised solo, on a Princess excursion bus, when I sat down I mentioned to the person next to me to make sure that the bus didn’t leave me without me.

I would bring my kindle or phone for use while waiting in the theater or dining.

In the theater, I would ask the next person “where are you from”, they would answer, you can tell if they want to continue to talk.

1 minute ago, SargassoPirate said:

Traveling solo means no committee decisions about everything.  One can travel alone without being lonely.

That was essentially what I was trying to say.  You were much more economical with your words.😉