Royal Carribean disloyal to loyal cruisers, how not to run a cruise line.

We see yet again Royal Carribean cruise line , erroding the benefits for the "crown and anchor " club loyalty scheme.  Happy hour diamond club -gone! Now diamond plus cruisers excluded from the concierge lounge. Well ,I for one am sick to the back teeth of the constant penny pinching and degradation of the whole cruise expereince wth Royal. After 15 years of cruising with this line , enough is enough and I  will be voting with my credit card and sailing with alternative cruise lines.

The gimmicks dressed up as benefits just simply deter sensible people . Cabin service reduced to once a day.  When the directors of Royal realise they are loosing market share and profits are falling they may want to consider why? Ciao Royal, you have just shot yourself in the foot......again!

Edited by welshtiger
new information .
  • Like 5
  • Haha 5

18 hours ago, welshtiger said:

When the directors of Royal realize they are losing market share and profits are falling they may want to consider why?

Considering their ships are sailing at 100+% capacity, not sure they are that worried about pleasing all customers.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Considering their ships are sailing at 100+% capacity, not sure they are that worried about pleasing all customers.

Yet.

But if and when occupancy rates fall significantly, Royal will again be as loyal as your pet cat.  😻 Of course, pet cats are only loyal when they want to be. 😁

• Like 6
  • Haha 12

18 hours ago, welshtiger said:

We see yet again Royal Carribean cruise line , erroding the benefits for the "crown and anchor " club loyalty scheme.  Happy hour diamond club -gone! Now diamond plus cruisers excluded from the concierge lounge. Well ,I for one am sick to the back teeth of the constant penny pinching and degradation of the whole cruise expereince wth Royal. After 15 years of cruising with this line , enough is enough and I  will be voting with my credit card and sailing with alternative cruise lines.

The gimmicks dressed up as benefits just simply deter sensible people . Cabin service reduced to once a day.  When the directors of Royal realise they are loosing market share and profits are falling they may want to consider why? Ciao Royal, you have just shot yourself in the foot......again!

Don't know you, so good bye.  By the way, Happy Hour was way too crowded, so now happy hour is all day long, and you get 4 drinks for it, or more.  

Turn down at night was a nice touch, but certainly nothing that will make me go to another line, that has the same cuts.

• Like 26

8 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

But if and when occupancy rates fall significantly, Royal will again be as loyal as your pet cat.

Unlikely the occupancy rate will decline much - they'll lower cabin prices to keep them high, not by bringing back any kind of "cuts".

Edited by Biker19
  • Like 2

The cruise line has yet to see any impact from people like you who are leaving, as they are selling out at much higher prices than ever. My husband and I actually talked about this yesterday, what else would we do if we didn't cruise Royal. We've tried Celebrity a few times and it was meh. We are paying less for 17 day transpacific than a 6 day European river cruise, so its hard to justify changing to that style of cruising. We already spend 4 weeks a year doing beach vacations and another 8 to 10 doing active travel, so we probably wouldn't increase that.  

We much prefer the drink vouchers to use at will anywhere over the over crowded lounges and limited drink menus. We think that was a great change. 

I am puzzled by the logic of the increase in the daily service charges and the reduction in cabin service at the same time. Did they think we wouldn't notice? I certainly won't be tipping any extra. We often didn't want service in the evening, but that was our choice. I'll see how I feel about it on our cruises this spring. Same with the change in the MDR menus. We haven't eaten in the MDR in many years, we generally do the UDP or a combo of specialty restaurants and WJ in the evening. I'm willing to try the new menus, but am skeptical. 

It's hard to know what would be the final straw for us. I realize that service and many small changes have happened over the last 10 years, but which one will be the final straw for each of us will be different. 

• Like 9

Well, I doubt anyone at Royal Caribbean will have time to shed a tear at losing you as a customer, as they work to reduce their debt. 

Selecting another line will give you the opportunity to see and experience first hand whether the grass is really greener.

From the comments posted on several threads concerning the new policy of reserving the Concierge Lounge for Suite Guests, it seems that "crowd control" was necessary to maintain the atmosphere and ambience intended for the lounge. 

Since by your comments, you appear to be an Armchair CEO, let me ask...

If you were running the company, would you upset your high revenue guests whom have paid for a suite, by crowding their lounge by allowing access to far too many people?  

One positive change you didn't mention was the introduction of daily drink vouchers which can be used anywhere and anytime, giving loyal guests more freedom and eliminating the restriction of a limited hour guzzle-fest in the lounge.

The most prominent loyalty programs began with the major airlines.  And about a decade ago now they realized that some of their most loyal members -- as measured by annual miles flown -- were consuming a high amount of expensive benefits.  Yet they were spending FAR FAR less than others by finding deeply discounted "mileage runs" where they could accrue lots of miles and generate very little revenue for the company.  The answer was to add a dollar spend requirement in addition to miles.  Because after all, the company is in business to turn a profit.

The same applies to cruise lines.  And remember, cruise lines do not reset loyalty on an annual basis, like airlines.  So ask yourself, if you were CEO of a cruise line, would you really be so thrilled to shower loyalty perks on a cruiser who earned their status many years ago and hasn't sailed with you or generated revenue for you in many years?  How loyal have they been, if they haven't sailed with you?  

Don't be surprised if one day a major cruise line dramatically alters their program based on cruise nights as they are now, but with a MUCH LOWER requirement to attain status... but the only catch is that the cruise nights count is a rolling period of x years, meaning that status is based upon the number of cruise nights earned only looking back x years.  This way, loyalty is based upon current cruisers rather than those from days gone by.  

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Isn't this a similar of another poster that posted similar gripes about a month or so back.

With the possible once a day cabin cleaning I'm waiting for gratuity topic to be resurrected.🤣

Edited by nelblu
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, welshtiger said:

After 15 years of cruising with this line , enough is enough and I  will be voting with my credit card and sailing with alternative cruise lines.

Ciao Royal, you have just shot yourself in the foot......again!

I'll keep my eye out for your Live thread from Anthem of the Seas this fall  🍿

Edited by Tulsacoker
  • Haha 2

Thanks for the good news!  Enjoy traveling on Margaritaville at Sea!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, nelblu said:

Isn't this a similar of another poster that posted similar gripes about a month or so back.

And it will be similar to a thread by another poster with similar gripes next month ... and the month after that ... and the month after that ... 😉

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Like 2

At the end of the day, a RCI cruise is still one of the best values for a vacation.  They provided such good service and a great loyalty program that ships are bloated by D, D+, and P cruisers. So, if anything, they’re a victim of their own success.  Sorry to see you go, but there are many ready to take your place. 

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Airbear232 said:

At the end of the day, a RCI cruise is still one of the best values for a vacation.  They provided such good service and a great loyalty program that ships are bloated by D, D+, and P cruisers. So, if anything, they’re a victim of their own success.  Sorry to see you go, but there are many ready to take your place. 

The ship are only bloated by D, D+, and p IF they have to turn away other people looking to book. If people are not being turned away then those C&A upper tear folks are serving a valuable function. I suspect they were also the first people back aboard the ships as cruising opened back up and when many people wouldn't set foot on a cruise ship even for free.

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

The ship are only bloated by D, D+, and p IF they have to turn away other people looking to book. If people are not being turned away then those C&A upper tear folks are serving a valuable function. I suspect they were also the first people back aboard the ships as cruising opened back up and when many people wouldn't set foot on a cruise ship even for free.

Absolutely agree, and think benefits are great. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

You make a good point.  But there is a fine nuance here.

Remember that there was a time when all of those D, D+, and P cruisers had zero benefits as a first time cruiser, then Gold, Plat, and Emerald, yet they chose Royal Caribbean-- most likely because they like to take cruise vacations and liked other aspects of how RCI has developed the cruise experience.

How many of these passengers --who really like to cruise --  decide to take a cruise simply because they can preen in a lounge, board before others, don't have to buy a drink package because of their vouchers, or walk around like they own the ship as they flaunt their Pinnacle Lapel Pin?

Point is, these passengers LOYAL TO CRUISE VACATIONS aren't truly sailing for the extra perks.  They may make the cruise more comfortable and may slightly influence the decision to stay with a particular line.  But for most, I doubt they are the deciding factor.  

• Like 6

As a consumer, price increases suck. I will continue to spend, however, as price increases are across the board in every consumer sector.

As an investor, I appreciate the company's effort to decrease operating expenses. These changes help position Royal for the next generation of cruisers, and I expect more changes incoming to appeal to them. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, PWP-001 said:

Remember that there was a time when all of those D, D+, and P cruisers had zero benefits as a first time cruiser, then Gold, Plat, and Emerald, yet they chose Royal Caribbean-- most likely because they like to take cruise vacations and liked other aspects of how RCI has developed the cruise experience.

How many of these passengers --who really like to cruise --  decide to take a cruise simply because they can preen in a lounge, board before others, don't have to buy a drink package because of their vouchers, or walk around like they own the ship as they flaunt their Pinnacle Lapel Pin?

Point is, these passengers LOYAL TO CRUISE VACATIONS aren't truly sailing for the extra perks.  They may make the cruise more comfortable and may slightly influence the decision to stay with a particular line.  But for most, I doubt they are the deciding factor.  

For me, this is absolutely true. Frankly, I'm surprised to find myself at my current points level.

As for the Diamond Plus access to a lounge, I rarely stick my nose in the lounge anyway ... and when I do, I ask myself what the fuss is all about.

I love the switch to the drink perk loaded on the card and the ability to get a frozen virgin drink at any time of the day.

I don't consider myself "loyal to Royal" as I do look at what else is out there. But my first choice is always Royal. I just wish they'd put some greater variety into their itineraries.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, PWP-001 said:

I agree with you. First and foremost I sail RCI because I like the product and that is why I got to the level that I am at and now I find that the perks that I get add to the enjoyment. Sometimes I do get curious about other cruise lines but the perks I get from RCI temper that curiosity a bit.😉

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, emeraldcity said:

I just wish they'd put some greater variety into their itineraries.

They have (at least out of Port Canaveral and Tampa). Since the restart, we have done southern ABC cruises, Bermuda cruises, cruises to new ports like St Kitts, St. Croix, Puerto Plata, and Bimini. New routes on both eastern and western cruises, and (at least for now) four ships to choose from with 3,4,5,6, 7, and 8 night options. Tampa is also doing more creative cruises, like our 10 night in February on Serenade that goes to Columbia, Panama, and Costa Rica.

Edited by orville99

We're D+ because we choose to cruise Royal.  We didn't cruise Royal to become D+.  It just comes along with it.  Everyone has to make a choice, but these posts by people who think they are going to impact the bottom line when new people are booking daily, aren't realistic.  People are not leaving in mass.  Some are grumbling and stomping their feet and a few will leave, but the need to announce it always makes me laugh.

• Like 9

Removing access to the Concierge Lounge concerned me about as much as dropping a penny in the parking lot and not bothering to bend over and pick it up. 

I do hope they don’t decide to put an expiration date on accrued points like some airlines have done. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1