Probably a Silly Question, but How Do YOU Carry Food Up to Your Cabin?

LEMJMcC

We use a cheap, dollar store shower cap to cover the plate.  (We only take food from the WJ to our lounge chairs on the deck)

It keeps things covered (from airborne nasties if that is a concern) and holds things in place quite well.  The cover is tight enough to handle the plate with one hand. 

And we are careful not to leave the empty plates, utensils, etc. lying around.  (We hang on to them until a deck cleanup person walks by and we hand it to them)

• Like 3

I have a neoprene lunch bag and bring my own cups with lids. Drinks and utensils in the bag, a plate with another plate on top for food. I am able to carry enough this way to have snacks/drinks for the 3 people in my party or a meal for 1-2. I have a kid with special needs who often needs a calm environment and is particular about food, so this works for us.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Believe it or not, not that long ago, they did provide trays in the WJ

Yes I know. And if you recall, the plates were more like oval serving platters. 

My comment was more about that a cruise ship is not a fast food restaurant, than it was about a tray.   
m

Bring a light reusable grocery/tote bag with a flat bottom for the pastries, etc.  That will free up your hands to carry the drinks.  If they put your drinks in the cardboard caddy, you can put those in the bag too, once they are secured in the caddy.

Teddie

PS I like that you want to do this:  catch the sunrise AND bring an early treat for you and your wife back to the cabin--I am sure if you had wanted to order room service, you would not have bothered posting your question 🙂 

Edited by teddie
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Typically, if my memory serves me at all, I would get a cup of decaf coffee (for the wife), a cup of hot cocoa or milk (for me!), and four to six pastries/snacks from Cafe Promenade (CP) and Sorrentos in the evening to take back to the cabin - we would enjoy them on the balcony.  Neither of us are interested in carrying any food from the Windjammer; though I do seem to remember getting a plate from one of the specialty restaurants and/or the MDR with a variety of desserts to carry back to the room for later in the evening.  We find this most relaxing and enjoyable as we are typically too full to really enjoy any dessert after our evening meal.  Room service isn't very attractive as we're not looking for full meal.

As for room service in the morning, I didn't think they would bring the specialty coffees my wife likes nor the Tazo breakfast tea that I prefer - both of which were available at CP in the wee hours of the morning.  Sometimes that's all we would have as we would hit the gym or the track before the WJ breakfast. 

I suppose I could ask the room steward/stewardess to bring us something to use such as a tray of some sort.  Oh these first world problems!

• Like 4

Will share what my hubby did for me on the ship when I was feeling a bit "under the weather" from celebrating the previous day. My go-to when not feeling up to par has always been good ole fashioned chicken soup. While I was in our room, he went to eat lunch in the WJ. He got a large foam coffee cup, poured in some chicken type broth, gathered some noodles, a few veggies, and a chicken breast. He took it all back to his table and proceeded to cut everything up into small pieces, then poured it all into the cup, put a lid on it, grabbed a soup spoon and some crackers, and brought it to me in our room!! Mmmmm good comfort food! I think I'll keep him awhile longer! LOL!! I am a very lucky woman (don't tell him I said that)!! Cheers!!

• Like 13

5 hours ago, Scottdalfonso said:

say I wanted to take a few slices of pizza to  the room...can I get a whole pizza to bring up with me? 

Yes you can order a whole pizza and they box it in a pizza box for you.   My son on his last cruise on Navigator was able to order three whole pizzas from Cafe Promenade. He had to wait about 20 minutes. He was with two other families and they ate on the balcony around midnight.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Believe it or not, not that long ago, they did provide trays in the WJ

I believe it. Back in the day...on Celebrity, not Royal...I remember trays with with white linen/cloth,  in the buffet.  At the end of the buffet line, the waiters were there to take your tray and then sit you at a table.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, SilkySal said:

Will share what my hubby did for me on the ship when I was feeling a bit "under the weather" from celebrating the previous day. My go-to when not feeling up to par has always been good ole fashioned chicken soup. While I was in our room, he went to eat lunch in the WJ. He got a large foam coffee cup, poured in some chicken type broth, gathered some noodles, a few veggies, and a chicken breast. He took it all back to his table and proceeded to cut everything up into small pieces, then poured it all into the cup, put a lid on it, grabbed a soup spoon and some crackers, and brought it to me in our room!! Mmmmm good comfort food! I think I'll keep him awhile longer! LOL!! I am a very lucky woman (don't tell him I said that)!! Cheers!!

Awww...he is so sweet.  I think he may be a keeper.  😉 

• Thanks 1

These stretch-to-fit covers from Dollar Tree $1.25 are super lightweight and don't take much room in a suitcase. You can even stack plates on top of them. Couple them with a DT or thrift shop lightweight cafeteria tray and VOILÀ  you have the equipment to do your own room service. Don't forget to tip yourself! 

Screen Shot 2023-01-10 at 6.17.50 AM.png

• Like 1