Wonder of the Seas or Harmony of the Seas?

Sigyn

I've never sailed RCC, but looking at an end of May 2024/early June 2024 Caribbean cruise for my husband and myself and our three kids, who will be 16, 21 and 22 at the time of the cruise. We'd get two cabins - one for the kids and one for us. Trying to decide whether to splurge on Wonder of the Seas ($7,700 for the cruise) or save money on Harmony of the Seas ($5,500). We'd be happy with either itinerary. I've looked at both ships and they seem fine, but as someone who has never sailed RCC, I don't know how much difference a new ship makes versus one that will be 8 years old at the time of the cruise.  The Icon of the Seas will be out by then, too, but that cruise is at $9,800, so I'm just gonna skip that one as an option since I'm sure Wonder of the Seas would be just fine if we opt for new and $2K less. 

Edited by njsmom

1 minute ago, njsmom said:

I don't know how much difference a new ship makes versus one that will be 8 years old at the time of the cruise.

The kids may appreciate a second Flowrider and you'd appreciate the $2K savings going on Harmony - no real diff between them other than the new car smell.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Biker19 said:

The kids may appreciate a second Flowrider and you'd appreciate the $2K savings going on Harmony - no real diff between them other than the new car smell.

New car smell. hahaha.

There were a few tweaks to the design between Wonder and the older Oasis Class ships (like Harmony), but definitely not enough that I would spend an extra $2K.

Edit: Just to clarify OP, Harmony and Wonder are technically the same class. They made some changes to Wonder's layout, mostly up top on the pool deck, an expanded buffet area, and different dining venues.  

Edited by DarthGrady
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, njsmom said:

I've never sailed RCC, but looking at an end of May 2024/early June 2024 Caribbean cruise for my husband and myself and our three kids, who will be 16, 21 and 22 at the time of the cruise. We'd get two cabins - one for the kids and one for us. Trying to decide whether to splurge on Wonder of the Seas ($7,700 for the cruise) or save money on Harmony of the Seas ($5,500). We'd be happy with either itinerary. I've looked at both ships and they seem fine, but as someone who has never sailed RCC, I don't know how much difference a new ship makes versus one that will be 8 years old at the time of the cruise.  The Icon of the Seas will be out by then, too, but that cruise is at $9,800, so I'm just gonna skip that one as an option since I'm sure Wonder of the Seas would be just fine if we opt for new and $2K less. 

The Wonder is new, but that does not justify a $2K premium (we have sailed on both ships). Book the Harmony. Have a great cruise!

Either ship will be a ginormouos compared to the Prima. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 2

We looked at both, both are excellent. I had a hard time selecting the Wonder for more $$, made the mistake of letting the group decide (funding the family vacay). I would have chosen Harmony and saved the money. But hey, I was very pleased with the Allure too! 

The Harmony has no pool in the Solarium. For the price difference, I'd take the Harmony. Better shows on her. The entertainment on the Wonder, in my opinion was the worst of the 3 Oasis Class ships I've been on. We're on the Harmony in May of this year. Final payment coming up in 2 weeks. That will be our 4th Oasis Class. I hope to go on the Allure sometime in the furure if Royal's prices stop going through the roof.

• Like 3

If both departure ports are equally convenient and equally appealing to you, then go with Harmony.  I’ve sailed both.  They are similar and as first timers there is plenty to live on either.  Personally I like Harmony better.
When we lived flying distance from all cruise ports, we often considered the departure cities or vicinities as part to the vacation often spending days there before or after.  So, if your family desires time in Texas or Florida as part of this trip, weigh that in your cruise choice, too.

• Like 1

There are pros/cons to each.  Harmony definitely has the better entertainment... although both have a good ice show and aqua show, the main theatre shows on Wonder are very amateurish compared to Harmony. 

Wonder has some better restaurant layouts, e.g.  the Windjammer is spaced out on two sides with views into the Boardwalk area and easier to find seats and the Park Cafe also has more seating area.  Wonder has El Loco Fresh as a free restaurant on the pool deck, which is much better than Mini-Bites on Harmony. 

Although the pools on Wonder are smaller, they make better use of the space for seating around the pools and there is also tiered seating with lounge chairs with cushions overlooking the pools.  However, Wonder has the enclosed Solarium, which is very hot and humid, compared to the open air concept on Harmony.

If Harmony is the lower cost, then that's probably the better bet, as you'll have extra money to spend on other things (specialty restaurants for example) on your vacation.

If either itinerary works then the ships won't make a difference.  I would go with Harmony and spend the money on a shore excursion.  We just did Wonder for Thanksgiving and while it's nice it's not great enough to spend the extra money.  We have done Allure (2) and Oasis, but never Harmony.  I wouldn't go out of my way between any of the three we have been on if the itinerary works.