Dining room dress code

wannagonow123

1 hour ago, billco said:

We are currently on the NCL Joy. People who want to dress up can do so on this cruise. It's called Freestyle where people can pretty much dress the way they want and and most people are happy about it.

While I’ve had issues with NCL in the past for totally unrelated issues, I commend them for allowing passengers to dress as they please.  No one will care one way of the other if you’re in a tux/gown or if you’re in a pair of Khakis/capri pants.  Kudos to NCL.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, BamaVol said:

I have seen the same discussion repeatedly on Flyer Talk. com. There is a segment of the flying population that longs for the days when everyone dressed up to travel by air.  They are slowly dying off and (sadly IMO) being replaced by people flying in their pajamas.  But I understand the desire to be comfortable.  I threw away all my ties but one or two after I stopped working in offices that required it.  I keep a couple for cruise dinners and funerals.

I must have missed the whole “dress up to fly” trend.  I’ve flown over 2 million miles (and counting) and never experienced that.  But, flying is as common as catching a bus.  I would imagine in the 50s, maybe even the 60s, it was more of a unique way to travel, given what I’ve read about aviation travel in the “early” days.

Edited by graphicguy

2 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Important?  Hardly!  The last vestiges of tux/gown/suit and tie wearing on cruise ships are quickly fading away.  But, there is a line where those who want to dress up can book a cruise.  I hear Cunard is the place to go.  

I'm fading away? Hardly! 

We'll stay on the line that we love and dress up as we please, but we also won't judge those who don't .

We can do us; they can do them.

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I must have missed the whole “dress up to fly” trend.  I’ve flown over 2 million miles (and counting) and never experienced that.  But, flying is as common as catching a bus.  I would imagine in the 50s, maybe even the 60s, it was more of a unique way to travel, given what I’ve read about aviation travel in the “early” days.

In those early days of flying, only the rich could afford to fly. Only after the Boeing 707 jet plane was introduced in the mid 50s, with it's much lower operating costs, could the average passenger afford it. Until then, people did dress up to travel on planes. 

Here is a photo of a Boeing Stratocruiser 1951 for example. 

Interior passenger compartment of a Boeing Stratocruiser c.1951

Air Travel in Every Decade

Edited by SantaFeFan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BamaVol said:

.  I threw away all my ties but one or two after I stopped working in offices that required it.  I keep a couple for cruise dinners and funerals.

same - and there better be a keg by the door for my funeral.  Hats, caps, shorts all welcome 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, SantaFeFan said:

In those early days of flying, only the rich could afford to fly. Only after the Boeing 707 jet plane was introduced in the mid 50s, with it's much lower operating costs, could the average passenger afford it. Until then, people did dress up to travel on planes. 

bogus - noone is smoking..

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, SantaFeFan said:

boy ! look at all that leg room 😲

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Broadside said:

It is noted that the Casualistionists are once again asserting their non- evidenced propaganda.

Fortunately Princess Cruise Lines have ignored them and instead listened and responded to the most influential and preferential sections of their customer base by continuing to promote Formal Nights and expanding the 'dress to impress' events.

Your font is certainly bigger than mine. I'll give you that much. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Broadside said:

It is noted that the Casualistionists are once again asserting their non- evidenced propaganda.

Fortunately Princess Cruise Lines have ignored them and instead listened and responded to the most influential and preferential sections of their customer base by continuing to promote Formal Nights and expanding the 'dress to impress' events.

You forgot to use the sarcasm font. Some people might mistakenly think you are serious.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, memoak said:

But there are limits. I do not enjoy watching people walk about the ship in bare feet or showing up in the dining room in pajamas. 

I wouldn’t enjoy it either. In fact, after 35 Princess cruises I don’t think I have ever seen it.

9 hours ago, Broadside said:

Important to remember that it is not Princess Cruise Lines who flout the dress code .

It is exclusively some Princess Passengers who choose to flout the dress code.

It is Princess Cruise line that does not enforce its own guidelines which allow passengers to flout the dress codes. Yes it is Princess Passengers who flout the code, who else would?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, billco said:

I wouldn’t enjoy it either. In fact, after 35 Princess cruises I don’t think I have ever seen it.

After all these years I'm still looking for all those extreme under dressers that posters keep talking about, and have still yet to see one. 

The worst I've seen are people in casual clothing on formal nights and those dreaded shorts on casual evenings. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

On 1/14/2023 at 6:43 AM, wannagonow123 said:

OK. I know what the website suggests, but I would like to know what people are wearing in the dining room for non-gala nights. If someone shows up in shorts, will they be turned away? We are cruising with a couple that mainly cruises with Carnival, where short of bathing suits allows just about anything.

Unless you show up in a Speedo they’ll probably let you in. I normally go with slacks or dark jeans and a button down. Sometimes add a sport coat. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Potstech said:

It is Princess Cruise line that does not enforce its own guidelines which allow passengers to flout the dress codes. Yes it is Princess Passengers who flout the code, who else would?

I’ve been on four cruise lines. They all let passengers flout the dress code. The guidelines are guidelines, not rules. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Potstech said:

No one is flouting anything. The dress code is a suggestion, not a requirement. How can someone flout a suggestion?????

• Like 5

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

After all these years I'm still looking for all those extreme under dressers that posters keep talking about, and have still yet to see one. 

The worst I've seen are people in casual clothing on formal nights and those dreaded shorts on casual evenings. 

Seems it's always the traditionalists that make those unfounded claims. More hyperbole to try to make the situation more dire than it actually is to justify their own demands. 

• Like 5

In our entire cruising history, we have dined in the MDR almost exclusively. In that time, my dining experience nor that of my husband or family, has been impacted negatively/positively by what someone else is wearing. We usually stick to the suggested dress but the older I get and the more I cruise, the less I want to drag a bunch of extra clothes with me. My dress won't affect our experience and what someone else wears, as long as everything is covered appropriately, won't affect our experience. There are so many other things to focus on while on vacation; what the people sitting at the next table are wearing isn't one I want to waste time on. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Z0nker said:

I’ve been on four cruise lines. They all let passengers flout the dress code. The guidelines are guidelines, not rules. 

Guidelines created by people thousands of miles away in the Corporate offices - NOT those who actually have to attempt enforcement of them face to face with passengers.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SantaFeFan said:

No one is flouting anything. The dress code is a suggestion, not a requirement. How can someone flout a suggestion?????

The dress code states very clearly that shorts and ball caps are not welcome in the dining room. That is not a suggestion. 

F0B47C92-70C3-4910-9FF3-1A2744F2DB40.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2