The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday January 16th, 2023

rafinmd

25 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

@St Pete Cruiser a question about your MSC Cruise.  It looks like there is an overnight at the private island.  Is there a dock there and any evening/night activities there?

Roy

MSC overnights there on most, if not all, of their Bahamas/Caribbean cruises. There is a dock. Not sure about night-time activities other than on the ship itself.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I'm looking forward to seeing your future cruise photos Lenda.

I hope your DH recovery is going well.

Graham.

Graham, I hope to have many more cruise photos in the future.  DH's recovery is going well, with progress just about everyday.  However, it will still take awhile and not be too quick.  It takes the bones in the spine about 10 months more or less to full fuse together.

Lenda

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

I'm trying hard to do nothing, but it isn't working. I have to go to my office, but I hope for only a few minutes.

I'd be pleased with chicken Marsala, and I like Pinot Noir, but I'm not sure that my palate is refined enough, or my bank account full enough, for a Charmes-Chambertin Grand Cru. No on the cocktail. Have not been to Hiroshima or anywhere in Japan and my efforts to rebook a Japan cruise have been unsuccessful.

947839677_FouryearsofJuilliard.thumb.png.7c9331afda09a0fb7d02aa80a2d7ade9.png

• Like 11
  • Haha 7

Good afternoon!  I spent most of the morning booking a Panama Canal cruise. Solo. Crazy. DH doesn’t want to go and be gone for that long. So I decided that I to just go by myself. I’ve done trips solo but this will be my first cruise solo. I’m excited. 

We are having leftovers today but really do enjoy Chicken Marsala. My preference is to make the chicken in a breaded Parmesan style and then top with the Marsala sauce, extra mushrooms please 

Prayers for all. Have a great day everyone!

• Like 20

Our youngest cat was scampering around the house this morning after the 2 older cats came back inside.  She is always so happy to see them come back inside.  

My ex inlaws had decades of cruising before I ever met them and claimed to have been to more than 150 countries and did a cruise "Around the horn" which my ex FIL talked about for years afterwards. 

Before my first cruise I was told to start travelling as young as possible and not to leave it until retirement. This was from a woman who planned to go on their first trip after her husband retired.  They saved for years, her husband finally told her his retirement date, they booked a cruise to Alaska and it was leaving 2 days after he retired.  He went to bed the night before and never woke up.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 8

45 minutes ago, 4966and556 said:

.  They saved for years, her husband finally told her his retirement date, they booked a cruise to Alaska and it was leaving 2 days after he retired.  He went to bed the night before and never woke up.  

A tragic and not so uncommon story.  So sad  

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Good Evening,

I'm going to try and check in every day, don't know if I can read through everything, but I'll try.  I have a lot of catching up to do.  I noticed @rafinmd is posting the daily, temporary, permanent?  I don't know.  And I see @kazu is back, I hope you are on the mend and that the situation wasn't too frightening being outside your country, I would have been if it had been me.

On the booking update.  We have a courtesy hold for an Alaska sailing, but it's not until May of next year.  Hoping the covid rules will be relaxed even more by then, I read through the current info on HAL's website and it's as confusing as it ever was.  

@Sharon in AZ I spent most of the afternoon cruise shopping and booking.  I had a good time after not doing it for awhile. 

@StLouisCruisers I heard about the twisters, I'm glad you did not have damage and that you and your family are okay.  I used to know people in the Griffin area and I believe that's near where a few of them were.

@Quartzsite Cruiser I have recently discovered a new port in Alaska called Klawock, it's supposed to be really undeveloped, like the way ISP used to be.  I believe Oceania is the first line to get permission to stop there. 

@JazzyV <waving> hope you are doing well

@dfish I didn't know you moved, oh my, how much I've missed!

@Cruising-along hope everybody is healthy, any cruises in your future?

For January the weather has been nice, although it rained all day yesterday and more on the way tomorrow.  I'm not desperate for spring but I do miss everything being green.  

It's so nice having a cruise book, albeit a hold, but it's highly likely I'm going to put down a deposit as early as tomorrow.  

Have a good night!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

2 minutes ago, atexsix said:

I noticed @rafinmd is posting the daily, temporary, permanent?  I don't know. 

Temporary.  @richwmn is on the world cruise until  late May, and is actually generating the content that he laid up in a database.that I just copy over each day.  It's a good thing he passed on the actual posting because he's in the MIDDLE of the Pacific with very limited internet and hasn't posted anything for several days.

Roy

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, atexsix said:

Thank you, Bruno! We're doing very well and I was very happy to hear that your dear Dad is doing better. Very happy too, to hear that you're booking a cruise.  

We're staying closer to home in '23, just a Pacific Coastal in May on the Koningsdam, and then Alaska in September on Celebrity.  We're going on our first Grand Voyage in January of '24, the Grand Australia -- for 94 days and we're very excited.

Edited by Cruising-along
  • Like 8

26 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Temporary.  @richwmn is on the world cruise until  late May, and is actually generating the content that he laid up in a database.that I just copy over each day.  It's a good thing he passed on the actual posting because he's in the MIDDLE of the Pacific with very limited internet and hasn't posted anything for several days.

Roy

That's good news, I was afraid Rich was ill or something equally upsetting.  It's in good hands from what I've have seen of your posts.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Thank you, Bruno! We're doing very well and I was very happy to hear that your dear Dad is doing better. Very happy too, to hear that you're booking a cruise.  

We're staying closer to home in '23, just a Pacific Coastal in May on the Koningsdam, and then Alaska in September on Celebrity.  We're going on our first Grand Voyage in January of '24, the Grand Australia -- for 94 days and we're very excited.

That's wonderful you have a longer voyage booked!  We were looking at the 28 day to Alaska next June but I don't really want to be away from home or my cat for that long.  We're considering maybe doing something in September, in addition to next May, but not sure yet.  If we postpone our move we'll have to buy a chairlift (the kind that go up/down stairs) to get DD out of the townhouse.  They are not cheap, $2,000 and up, we'd hate to buy it and then not need it after 6 months.  

Let's hope your Grand Australia has chamber music, with the money people pay for trips of that length it's deserved.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, rafinmd said:

@St Pete Cruiser a question about your MSC Cruise.  It looks like there is an overnight at the private island.  Is there a dock there and any evening/night activities there?

Roy

On this 4 day cruise there was.  We left late from Miami and arrived in Nassau the next morning, spending the day until 6PM.  We then went very slowly to Ocean Cay, the MSC port just south of Bimini, arriving about 1PM and staying there overnight until 6PM the last day of the cruise.  We were the first ship back in Miami.  There was a light show and a beach party that evening, but then the guests were directed back to the ship and the gates were locked until 8am when the island reopened.  The island was a commercial sand mine and has been filled in with a dock and channel.  Our MSC ship, the Divina, backed into the dock with obviously shallow water nearby.  I thought it would be challenging to do so with a strong north or south wind against the broadside of the ship, and I was right as the very next cruise was unable to dock after a strong front came through with north winds.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, atexsix said:

I moved November 5th and am all settled in to the new home.  Glad to hear from you!   I'm also glad to hear that DD's health is good enough that you are considering cruising.   Keep us posted on what you pick!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

The weather this afternoon couldn't have been nicer.  It was sunny with a light breeze and about 76F.  I took my almost daily walk around the neighborhood with a stop at the cluster mailbox.  When I got home, I tackled the leaves in the port, and got most of them bagged.  I think that is the worst of the leaves for this year since our across the street neighbor's tree is bare and it looks like all the leaves have blown out of his yard.

10 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

That is really sad.  I hope the young lady passenger recovers fully.  Thanks for letting us know.

Looks like a very interesting place to visit.  Glad we have some photos today to check out, so thanks for posting.

Sandi, Hiroshima is a nice town with prettty gardens.  Once you get away from the port and get to the downtown area, it is an easy to walk city.

4 hours ago, bennybear said:

Next some others of Hiroshima city, if you go make sure to try the Okonomiyaki 

6822FC0E-3FE5-4360-844D-A55D70BF8DB1.jpeg

852A7BC7-464A-425E-8051-F99FEB82CA71.jpeg

0FE4BF22-8678-4F76-81D3-3AD6280EE345.jpeg

4B41BE5C-D608-4199-A95D-8CD522A78EFF.jpeg

4C6408FB-10C2-4100-B77E-6607063194AF.jpeg

4FC41D7E-CCF7-44B2-97E3-D1C267EF1446.jpeg

Brenda, thank you for sharing your pictures.

3 hours ago, atexsix said:

Good Evening,

I'm going to try and check in every day, don't know if I can read through everything, but I'll try.  I have a lot of catching up to do.  I noticed @rafinmd is posting the daily, temporary, permanent?  I don't know.  And I see @kazu is back, I hope you are on the mend and that the situation wasn't too frightening being outside your country, I would have been if it had been me.

On the booking update.  We have a courtesy hold for an Alaska sailing, but it's not until May of next year.  Hoping the covid rules will be relaxed even more by then, I read through the current info on HAL's website and it's as confusing as it ever was.  

@Sharon in AZ I spent most of the afternoon cruise shopping and booking.  I had a good time after not doing it for awhile. 

@StLouisCruisers I heard about the twisters, I'm glad you did not have damage and that you and your family are okay.  I used to know people in the Griffin area and I believe that's near where a few of them were.

@Quartzsite Cruiser I have recently discovered a new port in Alaska called Klawock, it's supposed to be really undeveloped, like the way ISP used to be.  I believe Oceania is the first line to get permission to stop there. 

@JazzyV <waving> hope you are doing well

For January the weather has been nice, although it rained all day yesterday and more on the way tomorrow.  I'm not desperate for spring but I do miss everything being green.  

It's so nice having a cruise book, albeit a hold, but it's highly likely I'm going to put down a deposit as early as tomorrow.  

Have a good night!

Bruno, that's nice you have a hold on the Alaska cruise.  That should be an easy cruise for you and DD to do.  I had not heard of Klawock, but we've looked into taking a boat to Prince of Wales Island from Ketchikan.  Unfortunately, the ferry schedule doesn't work with the times in port.

Lenda

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1