Is there any disadvantage to waiting and purchasing Princess Plus or Premier onboard?

TN-Mountains

Before booking my cruise I spent a couple of months researching itineraries, fares, packages, cabins, etc.  I decided to save some $ and book a not-so-obstructed deluxe balcony w/ extra large balcony.  Yesterday, Princess through me a curve ball when they switched cabins on me.  I didn't like the new cabin assignment as it went from not-so-obstructed to an obstructed balcony. They're the same category, so not much I can do except 1) suck it up & like it, 2) cancel or 3) rebook a better category.  I've already booked airfare and really excited about the itinerary so I don't want to cancel.  I found the "best" cabin left in my category and got reassigned to it.  I can live with this cabin, but if Princess reassigns me again I'll likely get a true obstructed view, which I don't won't.  I put a courtesy hold on a higher category cabin so I can have time to reevaluate the costs.  With the changes to the plus package my previous research is out of date.  On the up side, I noticed in the FAQ (and confirmed with someone at Princess) that I can book the standard rate now and purchase Plus package onboard.  This would give me extra time to reevaluate the value of the more expensive Plus package and keep my final payment which is due next month slighter lower than my existing booking.  It would be nice to defer that $1700 until June should I chose to purchase Plus!   Does anyone know of any downside to purchasing it onboard? The only thing I can think of is possible long line/wait to add it to my portfolio and travel insurance might not cover it for in the event of trip interruption claim.  

I think this is a new policy, so I'm copying the FAQ in case it hasn't been discussed here: 

8. Can I purchase Princess Plus or Princess Premier when I’m on board?  Yes. Princess Plus and Princess Premier will be available to purchase on board beginning with voyages sailing 2/20/23 and beyond. You may purchase a package on the first day of your voyage.

I would have said you cannot do that until I saw the new policy change (it is a new thing).  I don't see how there is a disadvantage unless the price goes up between tie of booking and when you sail.  That said, Princess just has a price increase and not likely to happen anytime soon, but this could be a situation in the future (could?? - nope, it will certainly be a situation in future as prices always go up eventually). 

You can add it after booking and before sailing as well, so that is another option and can be used to avoid any pending price increase that may be announced in future.

On the other topic, IDK how soon you noticed the cabin change, but you should have got after Princess to get your cabin back.  You didn't mention cabins and ship and cabin category, but it reads like you were downgraded which makes no sense.  What deck because it sounds like you were writing about Emerald mid-ship on Royal Class. 

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

You didn't mention cabins and ship and cabin category, but it reads like you were downgraded which makes no sense.

A relocation within the already booked obstructed balcony category or to a higher obstructed balcony category is not a downgrade in Princess' view. But the upgraded cabin may not have as good a view as the original one did which would be a downgrade in the customer's view..

Oh yeah.  Last year, we booked a forward Caribe balcony at rock bottom pricing.  We were 'upgraded' 3 times for cabins midship, but higher levels.  Balconies are smaller unless on deck 10.  Every time, I had to contact my TA, who contacted princess, who moved us back to our original room.  Repeat 3 times.  What the cruise line considers an upgrade is not always an upgrade in the customers eyes.

Our plan will be booking our plus package on-board from now forward.  Copious amounts of on-board credit will take the price of plus down considerably and not 'make' us spend all the on-board frivolously.    Ultimately, princess will get less money out of us.  

Then there's the insurance that will go down too.  We won't be paying an additional 8% of the plus price in insurance.  If something happens, that money would be refunded from princess, so there's another lower bill.  And princess gets less money.   

• Like 6

1 hour ago, justafem said:

Oh yeah.  Last year, we booked a forward Caribe balcony at rock bottom pricing.  We were 'upgraded' 3 times for cabins midship, but higher levels.  Balconies are smaller unless on deck 10.  Every time, I had to contact my TA, who contacted princess, who moved us back to our original room.  Repeat 3 times.  What the cruise line considers an upgrade is not always an upgrade in the customers eyes.

Our plan will be booking our plus package on-board from now forward.  Copious amounts of on-board credit will take the price of plus down considerably and not 'make' us spend all the on-board frivolously.    Ultimately, princess will get less money out of us.  

Then there's the insurance that will go down too.  We won't be paying an additional 8% of the plus price in insurance.  If something happens, that money would be refunded from princess, so there's another lower bill.  And princess gets less money.   

Excellent point about using OBC and less insurance costs too, if waiting until OB purchase.  Didn’t think about that.

• Like 4

Thanks for pointing out the policy change.  The savings in insurance and the ability to use OBC for Plus make it a no-brainer to book it onboard.  That is, as long as Princess doesn't change the policy and go back to requiring the purchase prior to boarding.  We will have to see how things go after the new programs start next month.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, azbirdmom said:

Thanks for pointing out the policy change.  The savings in insurance and the ability to use OBC for Plus make it a no-brainer to book it onboard.  That is, as long as Princess doesn't change the policy and go back to requiring the purchase prior to boarding.  We will have to see how things go after the new programs start next month.

Deleted...

Edited by LACruiser88

20 minutes ago, julie3fan said:

Any idea if the Plus package will have to be purchased by every person in the cabin if purchased on board?  DH doesn't drink anything other than 1 or 2 sodas a day, so it's never made sense to buy it when we'd both have to.

I’m sure that most will agree that this is finally one change most passengers will be happy with.  It would even be better if only one person would have to have the package (doubtful).  

The only real risk would be that the price of the package would increase from the time most book to the time you get onboard. 

19 minutes ago, julie3fan said:

Any idea if the Plus package will have to be purchased by every person in the cabin if purchased on board?  DH doesn't drink anything other than 1 or 2 sodas a day, so it's never made sense to buy it when we'd both have to.

I would imagine the answer to that question is yes, just like you would if you were adding the Plus Package when you first booked the cruise. Otherwise, a lot of folks would purchase the one package and "share" the 16-drink daily allotment with their non-paying cabin partner. I know, it's hard to believe anyone would do that. But ... 😂

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, TN-Mountains said:

Before booking my cruise I spent a couple of months researching itineraries, fares, packages, cabins, etc.  I decided to save some $ and book a not-so-obstructed deluxe balcony w/ extra large balcony.  Yesterday, Princess through me a curve ball when they switched cabins on me.  I didn't like the new cabin assignment as it went from not-so-obstructed to an obstructed balcony. They're the same category, so not much I can do except 1) suck it up & like it, 2) cancel or 3) rebook a better category.  I've already booked airfare and really excited about the itinerary so I don't want to cancel.  I found the "best" cabin left in my category and got reassigned to it.  I can live with this cabin, but if Princess reassigns me again I'll likely get a true obstructed view, which I don't won't.  I put a courtesy hold on a higher category cabin so I can have time to reevaluate the costs. 

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought you could select the option Do Not Upgrade when booking your cruise. Would that have kept the OP from being involuntarily transferred to a different cabin in the same category?

29 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought you could select the option Do Not Upgrade when booking your cruise. Would that have kept the OP from being involuntarily transferred to a different cabin in the same category?

Recently, I have heard of cases where people have asked for their cabins to not be upgraded and Princess has indeed moved them.  Ever since I heard of this happening, I check my cabin selection every couple of days.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

It can happen even with No Ugrade listed on the booking.  Whatever program they are running, seems to miss some of those.  A same category UG could be in a different area of the ship and PCL deems it a more desirable location or what I’ve seem more often is an operational reason for moving the guest’s cabin.

Even if it is a no upgrade booking,

operational reasons would override it. Sometimes guests are in the quarantine area too or crew/entertainers coming OB.

Edited by PacnGoNow
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

I would have said you cannot do that until I saw the new policy change (it is a new thing).  I don't see how there is a disadvantage unless the price goes up between tie of booking and when you sail.  That said, Princess just has a price increase and not likely to happen anytime soon, but this could be a situation in the future (could?? - nope, it will certainly be a situation in future as prices always go up eventually). 

You can add it after booking and before sailing as well, so that is another option and can be used to avoid any pending price increase that may be announced in future.

On the other topic, IDK how soon you noticed the cabin change, but you should have got after Princess to get your cabin back.  You didn't mention cabins and ship and cabin category, but it reads like you were downgraded which makes no sense.  What deck because it sounds like you were writing about Emerald mid-ship on Royal Class. 

In the eyes of Princess I was not downgraded.  I was moved to the same category cabin which was D--obstructed deluxe balcony.  You probably know this, but I'll say it incase there are some newbies reading....There is great variability in the obstruction for each room.  The room I booked (Sky Princess E107) has an extra large balcony.  It is at the front of the ship so the railing is part of the metal hull instead of glass.  When you look over the railing you see the water.  The one they moved me to was mid-forward section and has a life boat in front of it.  I was on the phone for hours trying to get the room back, but they designated that room as an isolation area.  

Edited by TN-Mountains

4 hours ago, azbirdmom said:

It sounded like a no-brainer to me too, so I thought there must be a catch...especially since I hadn't seen it mentioned on CC.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, julie3fan said:

Has to be purchased by all adults in the cabin.  This isn't likely change, because otherwise too many people will just buy one package and share the drinks.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, malba2366 said:

Has to be purchased by all adults in the cabin.  This isn't likely change, because otherwise too many people will just buy one package and share the drinks.

It's really a shame that people do that.  Ruins it for those that legit don't drink and don't need the pkg.

41 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

Recently, I have heard of cases where people have asked for their cabins to not be upgraded and Princess has indeed moved them.  Ever since I heard of this happening, I check my cabin selection every couple of days.

After my experience, I will be doing the same thing!  I just put a deposit on a new cabin.  It is a much better cabin Aft balcony.  In fact it is the type I really wanted to book from the start, but when I saw how much money I could save with a not-so-obstructed view, I chose to do that.   It never occurred to me that Princess might relocate me anyway.  Lesson learned...if there are only a few cabins in a category that I find "acceptable" I need to reserve a higher category cabin!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Not necessarily.  In my case Princess decided to designate my original cabin as part of the isolation zone.  After 2020 and the known need for isolation zones, I'm not sure why they don't designate a group of rooms prior to releasing any cabins for sale.  In the future if they determine an isolation zone isn't needed, they can always release those rooms.  It is usually better to give "new options" than to "take away" a cabin that is already sold.  

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, malba2366 said:

I thought when you booked a "plus" or was for the 1st two passengers only? Not necessarily all adults. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, julie3fan said:

The CSR I spoke to yesterday said Plus Fare would have to be purchased by both guests, but I didn't specifically ask if that would be the case if we waited to purchase on board.  Although she did confirm I could purchase it onboard.  Hopefully someone sailing in late Feb/early March will ask once onboard and report back to us.  The CSR did say the plus or premier beverage packages could be purchased by a single guest, but they are more expensive for the 1st guest than the Plus/Premier Fares and they don't include crew appreciation, wifi, etc.  $76.70 vs $60 and $100.30 vs $80  I don't think there would be any true savings to do it this way after adding in crew appreciation.  

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, TN-Mountains said:

Not necessarily.  In my case Princess decided to designate my original cabin as part of the isolation zone.  After 2020 and the known need for isolation zones, I'm not sure why they don't designate a group of rooms prior to releasing any cabins for sale.  In the future if they determine an isolation zone isn't needed, they can always release those rooms.  It is usually better to give "new options" than to "take away" a cabin that is already sold.  

That's interesting, Princess is still designating isolation areas. Hopefully, that's for the crew and they're letting passengers isolate in the cabin they paid for if they catch something they need to be isolated for. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PrincessArlena'sDad said:

I thought when you booked a "plus" or was for the 1st two passengers only? Not necessarily all adults. 

Poster mentioned that the 2nd person does not drink much. 1 person can get the beverage package by itself but that does not include gratuities or WiFi and is more expensive. Sharing can and has resulted in some passengers losing the plan and no refund

4 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

That's interesting, Princess is still designating isolation areas. Hopefully, that's for the crew and they're letting passengers isolate in the cabin they paid for if they catch something they need to be isolated for. 

If there is an outbreak it is much easier to group the infected. When we were in isolation only certain crew members were allowed to enter the area and smoking was allowed on balconies. Would not want to be next to a cabin with cigarette smoke