The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday January 22nd, 2023

rafinmd

Today is National Blonde Brownie Day, Answer Your Cat's Questions Day, and Come in From the Cold Day

How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world.--Anne Frank, Anne Frank's Tales from the Secret Annex: A Collection of Her Short Stories, Fables, and Lesser-Known Writings

Meal Suggestion for today - Instant Pot Chicken Fried Rice
Drink of the Day - Watermelon Martini
Wine of the Day - Arista Pinot Noir Russian River Valley UV-Lucky Well Vineyard 2019
Destination of the Day - Astoria, OR

Eurodam

Puerto Limon, Costa Rica 06:30 - 16:00

Koningsdam

Lahaina, Maui Island, Hawaii 08:00 - 20:00

Nieuw Amsterdam

Fort Lauderdale, Port Everglades, Florida 07:00 - 16:00

Nieuw Statendam

Half Moon Cay, Bahamas 08:00 - 15:00

Oosterdam

Antarctic Experience, Next port is Port Stanley, East Falkland Island eta 1-26

Rotterdam

Basseterre, St Kitts 0700 - 1600

Volendam

Robinson Crusoe Island, Chile 08:00 - 17:00

Zaandam

At Sea Destination Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco, Mexico Riviera eta 1-24

Zuiderdam

Papeete, Tahiti Island, French Polynesia 05:00 Depart

Eastern Hemisphere

Noordam

Picton, New Zealand 10:00 - 20:00

Westerdam

At Sea Destination Singapore eta 2-03 (I'm going to try to check this out

Capture1.JPG.46e4dbc0fe279e0578afc87dd95cedf2.JPG

Capture2.JPG.483691612e88a899cd5d695566814aaa.JPG

Roy for Rich

• Like 21
  • Thanks 15

Good morning.  Thanks for the Fleet and Daily Report.

More snow overnight, I heard the sidewalk plow a little while ago. 

I like blonde brownies but haven't made them in a while.  I don't have a cat.  I hope everyone gets out of the cold.

Inspirational quote.

The meal sounds good, so does the drink.  I hope the wine is good too.

I've never been to today's port.

Prayers for everyone.

Have a wonderful day.

Stay safe.

• Like 22

Thank you for today's daily reports Roy.

We had a lovely church service this morning with 2 of our favourite hymns out of 4 we sang.

My photo was just before we entered church this morning.

Interesting days.

Great quote from Anne Frank.

Yes to the food.

I'm looking forward as always to nice photos.

I hope everyone is well.

Graham.

IMG_20230122_100045.jpg

• Like 26

On 10/1/2022 at 5:49 AM, VMax1700 said:

New information since last update is shown in RED.

PLANNED DRY DOCKS (or Itinerary not found online)

Eurodam 04 April 2023 – 09 April 2023 / 18 February 2023 – 04 March 2023 ?

Koningsdam 25 March 2023 – 13 April 2023 ?

Nieuw Amsterdam 19 March 2023 – 09 April 2023 ?

Nieuw Statendam 05 November 2023 – 26 November 2023 ?

Oosterdam 08 October 2023 – 20 October 2023 ?

Westerdam 19 January 2023 – 03 February 2023 ?

Zuiderdam 01 December 2022 – 15 December 2022 ?

I have a feeling Westerdam is in drydock:

Capture3.jpg.de77105c7177e8fb3f4d62a5e930b94c.jpg

Roy

• Like 19
  • Thanks 6

35 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you for today's daily reports Roy.

We had a lovely church service this morning with 2 of our favourite hymns out of 4 we sang.

My photo was just before we entered church this morning.

Interesting days.

Great quote from Anne Frank.

Yes to the food.

I'm looking forward as always to nice photos.

I hope everyone is well.

Graham.

IMG_20230122_100045.jpg

Thanks for sharing the sermon and the picture of your church.  May I ask how old the building is?  Have a wonderful day and best wishes to Sarah.  Katherine 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Rich & Roy for creating, enhancing & posting the Report & Daily! Cloudy with a colorful sunrise to the South. We did get some rain yesterday, but luckily Bindi’s walks avoided the heavy downpours. 

Roy, thank you for taking care of us. I am off to the gym, then Aldi. Not sure what else I will do. If the weather is nice, maybe Bindi would like to go on a hike with me. Has anyone seen posts from @MISTER 67? Hope all is well and he is just busy. 

E36F4E56-8A5E-46F6-8208-5D81D4969085.jpeg.3476a8a7e176fae8536b3761fa3ac521.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support, especially Patricia, Sarah, Tana, Kathi and Jacqui. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Get well & stay well everyone!

Arista Pinot Noir Russian River Valley UV-Lucky Well Vineyard 2019

This wine sounds lovely, but sadly is way outside my budget. It is fairly easy to find, and enjoyed by critics and consumers. Online distributor prices start at $82.95.

Winemaker Notes

#87 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2022

The UV Lucky Well Pinot Noir is a vibrant expression of Pinot Noir from the ridge that separates the Sonoma Coast from the Russian River Valley. The wines from this ridge tend to have qualities of both regions: intense, bright, wild berry notes brought by the cooling influence of the Pacific, and a broad, rich silkiness and complexity characteristic of the interior valley. This wine is no exception. Explosive wild berry, grilled meat, ripe strawberry, pine needle, raspberry liqueur, and black cherry notes adorn the nose. The palate is intense, rich, and dense, and is balanced by tangy acidity and firm tannins. Flavors of wild blackberries, cola, and spiced cherries mingle with a note of earth and crushed granite for a full minute on the finish.

WS93
Wine Spectator

Presents gently mulled raspberry, blackberry and blood orange notes that have good energy and tension, with light savory, red tea and mineral details checking in on the finish. Offers nice freshness in the end.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 9
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Thanks Rich & Roy for creating, enhancing & posting the Report & Daily! Cloudy with a colorful sunrise to the South. We did get some rain yesterday, but luckily Bindi’s walks avoided the heavy downpours. 

Roy, thank you for taking care of us. I am off to the gym, then Aldi. Not sure what else I will do. If the weather is nice, maybe Bindi would like to go on a hike with me. Has anyone seen posts from @MISTER 67? Hope all is well and he is just busy. 

E36F4E56-8A5E-46F6-8208-5D81D4969085.jpeg.3476a8a7e176fae8536b3761fa3ac521.jpeg

Prayers for all who need our support, especially Patricia, Sarah, Tana, Kathi and Jacqui. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Get well & stay well everyone!

Arista Pinot Noir Russian River Valley UV-Lucky Well Vineyard 2019

This wine sounds lovely, but sadly is way outside my budget. It is fairly easy to find, and enjoyed by critics and consumers. Online distributor prices start at $82.95.

Winemaker Notes

#87 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2022

The UV Lucky Well Pinot Noir is a vibrant expression of Pinot Noir from the ridge that separates the Sonoma Coast from the Russian River Valley. The wines from this ridge tend to have qualities of both regions: intense, bright, wild berry notes brought by the cooling influence of the Pacific, and a broad, rich silkiness and complexity characteristic of the interior valley. This wine is no exception. Explosive wild berry, grilled meat, ripe strawberry, pine needle, raspberry liqueur, and black cherry notes adorn the nose. The palate is intense, rich, and dense, and is balanced by tangy acidity and firm tannins. Flavors of wild blackberries, cola, and spiced cherries mingle with a note of earth and crushed granite for a full minute on the finish.

WS93
Wine Spectator

Presents gently mulled raspberry, blackberry and blood orange notes that have good energy and tension, with light savory, red tea and mineral details checking in on the finish. Offers nice freshness in the end.

I’m doing fine Cat, thanks for asking. Just took a break from posting. I’m really down with HAL right now and thought maybe it was wrong to be posting on the HAL threads.

That 5 weeks I was was off the Golf Course with the finger infection  really messed up my game, having a hard time getting my swing tempo back. It will come back eventually but I’m struggling right now and besides that I’m not getting any younger, 77 in 2 weeks.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 7

Watermelon Martini cocktail:

Ingredients
2 parts Pinnacle® Original Vodka
1 part DeKuyper® Pucker® Watermelon Schnapps
1 splash Lime Juice
Garnish: Watermelon Slice

Instructions
Add ingredients to an ice-filled shaker and shake until well chilled. Strain into a chilled martini glass and garnish with a slice of watermelon.

Screenshot 2023-01-22 at 7.39.40 AM.png

• Like 12
  • Thanks 11

Good morning friends on this soggy Sunday morning!  I heard it raining heavily off and on all night long and now we expect the same for the rest of today. ⛈️ It's only 41 degrees and at the most will rise to 50.  I'm looking forward to Monday and Tuesday because I see sunshine for those two days.  

Thanks Roy @rafinmdfor getting up early and posting Rich's @richwmn's Daily and Fleet Report.  Interesting the Westerdam seems to have gone to drydock early in Singapore.  Love today's quote by Anne Frank.  Blonde brownies sound good, I have no cats to ask questions of, and would certainly come in from the cold (and wet) if I were outside.  I doubt I step foot out the door actually!  The menu suggestion sounds great.  No thanks to the drink and wine (more left for you!).  I will listen to Father David's sermon in a little bit.  Thanks Graham @grapau27for posting the link.  Hope you and Pauline have a lovely day, and give Sarah our best wishes.  Good to hear she's feeling a little better!❤️  Prayers for her and the rest of our ailing Daily family.  I hope that list is shorter soon and everyone gets well.  Cheers to the Celebration list folks.🥂  Enjoy your cruises friends!🚢

Our port today is Astoria, Oregon which was last posted here a year ago on January 17, 2022 (MLK Day).  I haven't been to Astoria, or even the state of Oregon before.  Hmmm.  Anyway, I'm sure that must be a stop on a Coastal cruise.  Please show us your photos, and to make it easier here's the link to January 17, 2022 for you.

Happy 25th birthday Tyler! 🎂  Have a wonderful day everyone.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 3

Good morning everyone. Love the quote. The search for my missing glasses goes on. I couldn’t have left them anywhere because I would have needed them to drive home. I’m sure they’ll turn up after I order new ones.

Prayers for all who need them.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 23

Good morning! It will be online services today as we both have cold symptoms. Probably from the lady who coughed all the way from Miami to Atlanta last Tuesday!😡

Received quite a bit of rain early this morning along with some thunder & lightning. Sending it over to Sandee’s house in Georgia!

Watched our Jacksonville Jaguars go down in defeat against Kansas City and was in bed by 7:30. 
We have no plans today other than maybe another football game. Staying in and  keeping the cold symptoms contained and treating the sniffles and cough. It’s just a cold so please no Care list or special attention needed.

Thanks for the reports and postings.

image.jpeg.989f248510ce83e121cd581fb6172ca4.jpegimage.jpeg.1a1ba5fa860c2bf73d51a41d0e306d4e.jpegimage.jpeg.6bc1d49ca1d517c5957c6e279558c8dd.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Haha 18

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily fleet report.  Today’s meal suggestion sounds really good to me.  We are expecting another winter storm in the area and again we will be getting mostly rain, I’m not complaining one bit.  I do like brownies of all types.  I think a quick trip to Aldi is on the agenda.  I hope everyone has a good day today.

My cat questions are usually where’s breakfast, lunch or dinner.  A new favorite is why can’t I have second dinner?

image.png.6ebd214342a375367f5e18f537a434d8.png

• Like 13
  • Haha 16

Good Sunday morning from Robinson Crusoe Island.  We are waiting a bit to tender ashore because of rain and we may eat lunch ashore. It is beautiful with the rocks and trees reminding me of Pictured Rocks Lakeshore in Michigan but with very high volcanic peaks soaring into the clouds. Prayers for all on our Care list and for the people of Ukraine.    Nancy 

IMG_20230122_082237154_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230122_082228114_HDR.jpg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 5

14 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Good morning! It will be online services today as we both have cold symptoms. Probably from the lady who coughed all the way from Miami to Atlanta last Tuesday!😡

Received quite a bit of rain early this morning along with some thunder & lightning. Sending it over to Sandee’s house in Georgia!

Watched our Jacksonville Jaguars go down in defeat against Kansas City and was in bed by 7:30. 
We have no plans today other than maybe another football game. Staying in and  keeping the cold symptoms contained and treating the sniffles and cough. It’s just a cold so please no Care list or special attention needed.

image.jpeg.989f248510ce83e121cd581fb6172ca4.jpegimage.jpeg.1a1ba5fa860c2bf73d51a41d0e306d4e.jpegimage.jpeg.6bc1d49ca1d517c5957c6e279558c8dd.jpeg

Bruce, hope you and Sue have a restful day fighting those cold symptoms.  I guess the cold virus is here for the rest of eternity!  Thanks for your genorosity in sending the rain to us but I see the retention pond to the side of the golf course is full of water already so I'll pass your rain on up to Annie up north!  How you doing up there Annie?

• Like 15
  • Haha 1

Good morning, everyone!

We're supposed to get about an inch of snow today.  We'll see.  There was an article in the local news about how we are at the top of the list for least snowy winters so far.  But, we're not the #1 least snowy winter - that was in 1944.   DB Bill says thank you for the birthday wishes.  We sent him home with some stroganoff and the rest of the cake last night.  Feast on.....

I thought of Anne Frank often during the height of the pandemic.  I have visited the Anne Frank house in Amsterdam several times.  While many of us were complaining about wearing masks and having to stay home for a while, I remembered about how she and her family did that for two years.  We had the luxury of TV, Zoom, Netflix, and free long distance calling and still we complained.  

Today's meal will appeal to many, but I will give it a pass because of the carbs.  Rice is hard on those with diabetes, so I steer clear of it.  This first recipe is quick and easy.  https://therecipewell.com/instant-pot-chicken-fried-rice/

325643476_chickenfriedrice1.thumb.jpg.36ad07ad575a5205246282a26df64f10.jpg

This next one is slightly different on seasonings.  In fact, there wasn't much difference between the recipes.  https://recipes.instantpot.com/recipe/better-than-takeout-chicken-fried-rice/

747791489_chickenfriedrice2.thumb.jpg.27890e8344d72a1497522beffa7d380d.jpg

And this one's claim to fame is making small tweaks to make the dish healthier, like using brown rice.  https://fitfoodiefinds.com/instant-pot-healthy-fried-rice/

1006985508_chickenfriedrice3.thumb.jpg.adcac4ae108e3042ad2444ceadaedf9d.jpg

Time to go help Sue in the kitchen.  DGD River Lynn is with us today.  She spent the night for the first time in her Grandma's new house.  Healing thoughts go out to Jacqui, Tana, Sarah, Kathi, and Patricia.  

• Like 19
  • Thanks 8
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, summer slope said:

Watermelon Martini cocktail:

Ingredients
2 parts Pinnacle® Original Vodka
1 part DeKuyper® Pucker® Watermelon Schnapps
1 splash Lime Juice
Garnish: Watermelon Slice

Instructions
Add ingredients to an ice-filled shaker and shake until well chilled. Strain into a chilled martini glass and garnish with a slice of watermelon.

Screenshot 2023-01-22 at 7.39.40 AM.png

Is this drink seedless? 😀

Edited by RedneckBob
  • Like 3
  • Haha 6

33 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Sorry about your cold symptoms. We have had so many issues with people coughing on planes and coming home sick that we were wearing masks before it was fashionable.

• Like 13

1 hour ago, RedneckBob said:

Thanks for the Fleet update and general info.

National Blonde Brownie Day. A celebration of my family. My sister was a blonde Brownie before she became a Girl Scout!

I once had a blonde Brownie Camera. One time I was taking a picture of a frozen can of orange juice when a friend of mine asked, “RedneckBob, what’s taking you so long to take that picture?”, which I replied, “The frozen can of juice says Concentrate.”

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 10

I've visited Astoria, Oregon, but not by cruise ship.

I had been thinking that the meal suggestions came from HAL menus, but there have been some recently that were unlikely, and I really doubt that HAL galleys have rows and rows of Instant Pots. Will skip the drink--I'm suspicious of drinks that call themselves some kind of martini but have nothing in common with a real martini except the shape of the glass.

I answer the Junior Cat's questions but she seem to think that most of the answers are wrong.

In the spreadsheet for the Spanish Farewell, one person asked in the comments column about private tours. I hadn't given private tours any thought, because I've been pleased with Spain Day Tours, which will take individual bookings and organized the groups themselves, and they operate in all our Spain ports plus Lisbon. But they don't operate in Funchal, and I remembered the discussion here last month (December 16). So I've posted an offer to reserve the date with Daniel Madeira Taxis, but so far no takers.Maybe no one is thinking that far ahead.

1220549147_foodchain.thumb.jpg.979477a70af43a97e77f776f4470d87c.jpg

• Like 18
  • Haha 7