The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday January 22nd, 2023

rafinmd

Thank you for the Daily Report! The food sounds good.  I might make it tonight to go with the pork chops that we are having.  The drink also sounds good.  I also think that the shape of the glass is the only reason for the name of this drink.  It could be served in any glass.  It's yet another overcast and snowless day here on the Niagara Peninsula with the current temp being 2 Celcius. My dh will be watching the NFL later today.  Right now we are headed to the local arena to go for a walk.

We have 3 cats and I do talk to them.  I don't know if I'm answering them or if they are answering me. 

Edited by 4966and556
spelling mistake
  • Like 19

Good morning all. Well we have snow, falling softly. Lovely to look at from inside. Forecast is for less than an inch. 

wishing everyone a good Sunday and a great week. Prayers going out for those that need them and good wishes to those celebrating. 

@rafinmdthank you again for the explanation of how to set up and use the “content I follow” link. It has made reading the several threads I have going so much easier.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Good Sunday Morning Dailyites!  Thanks for sending the storms up this way.  I enjoyed the thunder and lightening at 4 something this morning.  And 5 something this morning, and 6 this morning, and then it got quiet, and the rain is gone.  BUT the computer with all of it's knowledge says "rain off and On".  Of course it will.  And then as @StLouisCruisers said we will see the big bright orb for two days, and then get rain again.

@grapau27Thank you for bringing us Father David each Sunday.  DH and I both enjoy listening to his message.

@dfishI'm glad that the Saturday Farkle Birthday Bash went well!

I made brownies last night, the regular kind, of course from a box mix, and I cooked them the time that the box said, and they came out, and were all gooey and wonderful, but DH likes crunchy brownies.  So how can I crunch up the cooked brownie

I love the Anne Frank quote.  

@MISTER 67You can be mad at HAL if you want to be, but this in reality is a Cruise Critic thread, and we don't care if you are mad at HAL. We do miss your posts when you are not here. I haven't had a chance yet to be mad or glad, my first HAL cruise is in May.  I'll let you know when I get home.

I try to answer all my cats questions.

cat_ask_question.jpg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

Good morning.It is somewhat dreary outside  with rain expected. I have been to Astoria ,Queens but not Oregon.The recipe looks good today and blond brownies are always good.

I was visiting with DD’s kitties yesterday and she showed me this picture of  Misty, the youngest cat of their four.

She mostly talks about food and is growing by leaps and bounds.

829EDB29-2CF6-428D-9BD1-CD13D52A85C2.jpeg

• Like 24

Happy Sunday.  I'll pass on the Brownie, have no cat, and will try to avoid being out in the cold but come in ASAP if I must be out.  I think I've been to Astoria 3 times, Sea Bird in 2001, Crystal Symphony in 2011, and Oosterdam in 2017.  I love the Anne Frank quote.  The meal sounds nice but it was not something I would do, and if I did would probably want to make it brown rice which I think is a bit more diabetic friendly.  My alternative is Fruit Ceviche, Oaxaca-Chile Pineapple Glazed Ham and Chilean Apple Crumb Cake as served on MS Prinsendam January 22, 2019:

dishes22.jpg

Today’s care list:

California shooting victims
Kazu in cast until about 2/8
Cruising-along 2nd cousin Patricia in ICU at only 40
Grahaam’s Sarah waiting on needed injection
Scrapnana starting over on treatment
From the rotation:
Status of St. Louis Sal (7/1) and JAM37 (7/7)
Ominous scan for Marshhawk
HAL Sailer DBIL in final days and family squabbles
Rowsby in need of shoulder replacement

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Nieuw Amsterdam in Everglades

na012222.thumb.JPG.1074556c1336dd3161720
Welcome Crystalspin
Happy Birthday StLouisCruisers eldest DD
Bon Voyage Heartgrove (Carnival Legend 1/22 to 1/29)
cruszn single in Hawaii until 1/31
Great sales for Marshhawk
2 days to last treatment for Cruising-Along DH
Seasick Sailor and ger_77 (Rotterdam  to 1/25), DeeniEncinetas, and sailingdutchty   (Koningsdam  to 1/31),  lindaler and ottahand7(Volendam  to 3/18), and Cat in My Lap, Gail&Marty,richwmn and HorizonChaser1957 (Zuiderdam  to 5/12) at sea

Roy

• Like 16
  • Thanks 9

2 hours ago, MISTER 67 said:

I’m doing fine Cat, thanks for asking. Just took a break from posting. I’m really down with HAL right now and thought maybe it was wrong to be posting on the HAL threads.

That 5 weeks I was was off the Golf Course with the finger infection  really messed up my game, having a hard time getting my swing tempo back. It will come back eventually but I’m struggling right now and besides that I’m not getting any younger, 77 in 2 weeks.

Welcome back Mister 67. I generally feel the same about HAL but I keep coming back. Been sailing on Celebrity but now Celebrity is cutting back especially at their Oceanview Cafe for dinner. Reduced selections by 75%! Hope changes in HAL entertainment helps. Sorry bout your finger infection but remember playing golf is like riding a bike, assuming you learned how to ride a bike. 😀

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

There was a question on yesterday's thread about my passport.  I submitted the application November 30 and so far have heard nothing.  I hope it is moving along and  would know by now if there is a problem.

Roy

• Like 8
  • Thanks 11

I promise this will be my last post today but I just can’t let it go.

I did some research this morning about Brownies, not the delicious blonde brownies but other brownies that I had previous posted about. Apparently the term Brownie is beginning to be banned. Apparently the Girl Scouts of Canada consider the word offensive and not inclusive. Now Brownies are called Embers. Wait till someone discovers that embers can be defined as generating from hot coals. One day no one will ever speak fearing every word will be considered in appropriate. If this post gets removes, I will be speakless.

• Like 9
  • Haha 12

I have another sunset today, this one from the 2019 Prinsendam Grand South America and Antarctica voyage.  On January 22 we sailed from San Antonio Chile heading for Robinson Crusoe Island:

dusk0122.jpg

Roy

• Like 24
  • Thanks 3

17 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

There was a question on yesterday's thread about my passport.  I submitted the application November 30 and so far have heard nothing.  I hope it is moving along and  would know by now if there is a problem.

Roy

Can you check on progress online?  I looked it up and it says non-expedited passport renewals are taking 6 to 9 weeks and Nov. 30 is 7 1/2 weeks ago.  That information was last updated Oct. 21, 2022 however.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/how-apply/processing-times.html

• Like 13

4 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Can you check on progress online?  I looked it up and it says non-expedited passport renewals are taking 6 to 9 weeks and Nov. 30 is 7 1/2 weeks ago.  That information was last updated Oct. 21, 2022 however.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/how-apply/processing-times.html

I have not and don't have time right now.  Online worship starts in 10 minutes.

Roy

• Like 11

2 hours ago, MISTER 67 said:

I’m doing fine Cat, thanks for asking. Just took a break from posting. I’m really down with HAL right now and thought maybe it was wrong to be posting on the HAL threads.

That 5 weeks I was was off the Golf Course with the finger infection  really messed up my game, having a hard time getting my swing tempo back. It will come back eventually but I’m struggling right now and besides that I’m not getting any younger, 77 in 2 weeks.

Thank you for checking in!  It is important to get older each year.

And IMO, this is the perfect place to vent your frustrations with HAL. You might find some people disagree, but at least on this thread we are not only polite - but open-minded. We all learn from each other.

You pop in anytime. And good luck on your game!

• Like 22

Good morning from sunny central Texas with a fairly strong north wind.  If we're lucky our high might reach 55F this afternoon, but tonight the low is predicted to be 30F.  We'll have sun tomorrow, then Tuesday unless it changes will be rainy all day.  We need the rain, and hope we haven't jinxed it by scheduling errands Monday, and leaving the car out so the rain will wash it.  

As a chocoholic, I prefer the regular brownies to blonde brownies.  When we had cats, we'd try to answer their questions, but it seemed like we gave the wrong answers.  I generally try to avoid being outside when it's cold, but enjoy warming up when I do come in from the cold.

Anne Frank was wise beyond her years, and her quote is still very true today.

The InstaPot fried rice sounds good as does the wine; just wish it wasn't so pricey.  We'll pass on the drink.

We've been to Astoria on motorhome trips along the Washington-Oregon coast.  Unfortunately, it was before the digital age.

@cat shepard Ann, I got a laugh out of the autocorrect meme.  When the DDs were in elementary school, they had practice take home spelling tests.  One DD, who will remain anonymous, left a very important letter out of the word shirt.  🤣  Also, before Sam Houston State University was named that, it was Sam Houston Institute of Technology, until someone tried using the initials.😉

@MISTER 67  Please don't stay away just because you are not happy with HAL right now.  Many of us also cruise on other lines.  You have become part of the Daily family.  Also, I hope your golf game is back to normal soon.

@StLouisCruisers  Sandi, please wish Tyler at HAPPY 25TH BIRTHDAY for us.

@aliaschief  Bruce, I hope both of you feel better today and are over those nasty colds soon.

@dfish  Debbie, please wish your DB Bill a BELATED HAPPY BIRTHDAY for us.

@smitty34877 Terry, Misty is a very cute kitty.

@crystalspin  Welcome to the Fleet/Daily, and we hope you will visit often.

@luvteaching  Karen, thanks for the update yesterday.  

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

@Heartgrove your ship's arrival just popped up in the picture on my morning news.  Raining this afternoon so I hope your muster is indoors.

Roy

Thanks Roy. I checked my weather app and it does show heavy rain for the sailaway. At least it isn't snow!  😊

• Like 14

Good morning,Dailyites!  My laptop died a sudden death yesterday, and must go into the shop tomorrow.  I was reading CC when Pat saidc’mon let’s go , so I just closed the laptop, thinking it would go to sleep, but I guess it didn’t and when we got home, it was really hot and the screen was black and I couldn’t wake it up.  So I unplugged it, and now it is cold and dead.  Not so easy to use my iPad.  

I was thinking about Anne Frank.  I wonder what she would have accomplished if she had lived.  Her short life was quite an inspiration.   

thank you for Father David’s sermon, Graham.   We’re off to church soon.  I’m finding it difficult to control my cough, I’m going to have to be careful in church or I’ll get dirty looks.  But I don’t think I could be infectious any more.  We went out yesterday to get my suit cace repaired.  On our flight to Victoria last week, my lock was torn away completely, and the zipper pulls damaged .  There’s a place in town where they do repairs and said they can replace the pulls, and also stitch up a bit of damage on the top.  Cheaper than getting a new suitcase.  

@kochleffel,  we did a tour with Daniel last time in Funchal, so I’m tempted, but I can’t remember which one it was.  I’m thinking about it and will decide soon.  But Funchal is so easy to DIY, too.  We’ve been there about 4 times, and I think the only place I really want to go to is the market.  

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

@HeartgroveWhen we were on a Carnival cruise in September, our muster was not outdoors, nor stuffed into a room, we had to go to our muster station, check in, watch a brief instruction class with only about 150 people in the theatre, and then were released, this went on several times during the day, and we had to wear masks in the theatre.  It was not like the old days, when we stood outside one behind another waiting and waiting.  Have a great cruise!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

we did a tour with Daniel last time in Funchal, so I’m tempted, but I can’t remember which one it was.  I’m thinking about it and will decide soon.  But Funchal is so easy to DIY, too.  We’ve been there about 4 times, and I think the only place I really want to go to is the market.  

I understand. A tour probably makes the most sense if you want to visit places that are harder to get to.

• Like 11

Good morning. Cloudy and cold and some snow predicted for tonight and then a dry period to follow. We can only hope as the snow is deep. It will stay very cold.

Sort of a good/bad day sort of time right now. Two people I know from my days of dog showing have lost dogs. One of these was a scottie friend, Vandra Huber, in Portland whose van with 3 scotties and a cairn was stolen yesterday. I heard this morning it was found and the dogs are safe and well. Whew!! Also from the dog show world, a Berger Picard escaped a transit van. It was out in the Nevada winter snows for 10 days before it was found hiding under a sage. Unfortunately, it died at the vets a few days later. RIP Bumble. The owner expended mega bucks with drones, trappers and searchers.  And personally, my brother's daughter and her husband live in Monterey Park. I have not heard from them, but although they will celebrate Chinese New Year I am sure that with 2 small children they were settled in bed well before the shooting. Still, it is downright scary. Hopefully they will check in later.

And so it goes. I continue to plug along with the sorting at a very, very slow pace. My excuse is that with the deep snow I can't reach the trash bin or recycling bin easily. Yeah, sure.

Susan

Edited by durangoscots
typo
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 5

Good morning all!

It's a cloudy but dry'ish day in the PNW, with high 30's-low 40's F today.  I'll pass on the Blonde Brownies and take the chocolate ones, will definitely come in from the cold, and every cat I've ever known never asked questions because they already knew the answers. 😉  

The quote from Anne Frank is a good one (and Debbie @dfishyou are so right), will pass on the wine, the drink sounds like it might be good.  The meal would be good too, but as Debbie said, rice isn't diabetic-friendly so I'll pass.  Labs tomorrow so today especially is not a day for rice.  It will be salad for dinner tonight.  

Astoria is a port for Pacific Coastal cruises and we've been there on cruises and on drives down the coast.  The last time was with our DGS when we took him there for his birthday last year.  There was at least one cruise we missed that port because of 25-foot seas.  Unfortunately it was a cruise I took with my BFF and it was her first cruise (!)  But being the trooper she is, she went on another cruise later and loved it.  My photos of Astoria follow.  We've been there so many times, we've done almost everything there is to do there besides driving to Seaside and Cannon Beach.

Sadly the news about Patricia is not good.  Here's the latest from her Dad:

"This is my next to last update on Patricia's medical condition. The brain injury Patricia sustained from lack of oxygen has proven to be insurmountable. She is on life support for now, but she will be removed from that on Monday. Wish I had better news."

We're all very sad, of course.  She fought a long, hard battle with Lupus for 33 years. I never heard her complain, always a smile and joke.   Multiple surgeries, a kidney transplant (that failed after a year) and then a year+ of dialysis.  She will leave 2 young daughters, a large loving family and countless friends.

Sandi @StLouisCruisersHappy 25th birthday to Tyler!!

The port of Astoria, Oregon

Astoria1.jpg.e329c0f66a9db7a1ccbde8dab17659ad.jpg

Haystack Rock, Cannon Beach

1560669999_HaystackRockCannonBeach1.jpg.726d44c7b2515e1f7f04c0a9ffb35bb3.jpg

Seaside

Seaside.jpg.1c3c7723d416ad6fd82515eb6dbbc66e.jpg

Flavel House Museum in Astoria

1928467723_FlavelHouse.jpg.13a3165dbf23db07efd84eb1c4d7d307.jpg

Entering Oregon in the rain on the 4-mile long Astoria Bridge

246621433_4mileAstoriaBridgeenteringOR.jpg.00c672e46b3d4d30667d0f791f480918.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 19

13 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

When we were on a Carnival cruise in September, our muster was not outdoors, nor stuffed into a room, we had to go to our muster station, check in, watch a brief instruction class with only about 150 people in the theatre, and then were released, this went on several times during the day, and we had to wear masks in the theatre.  It was not like the old days, when we stood outside one behind another waiting and waiting.

I hated lining up in military formation and waiting and waiting on RCI a few years ago. Some "soldiers" violated orders by keeping their earbuds in and they were dressed down for it.

NCL now requires just watching a video on the TV in your stateroom -- and the TV won't work for anything else until you do -- and going in person to the muster station so that you know where it is. The muster check-in is open all afternoon and if you don't do it they do track you down.

• Like 16