The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday January 22nd, 2023

rafinmd

I taught two classes this morning but must not have been completely awake. In the first one, I began the wrong lesson but discovered it quickly. In the second I taught the wrong lesson almost all the way to the end.

It may have stemmed from poor sleep two nights in a row. Right now I really want a nap but it might be prudent to go to the supermarket, because there's likely to be s-n-o-w later.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

Dh and I went for our walk at the inside track.  Stopped to get coffees on the way home.  Our very tiny town has a cafe that is very popular with better coffee than Tim Hortons, and much better service.  The owner knows your name and remembers how you take your coffee.  

We had a massive bonfire of cardboard and a few coffee cups out in the fire pit when we got home.  Put my car into the garage because we might get snow.  Now I have the oven on to make brownies.  Dh might put a fire in the  inside fireplace later.  I love the smell of a wood fire.

• Like 18

46 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Good morning,Dailyites!  My laptop died a sudden death yesterday, and must go into the shop tomorrow.  I was reading CC when Pat saidc’mon let’s go , so I just closed the laptop, thinking it would go to sleep, but I guess it didn’t and when we got home, it was really hot and the screen was black and I couldn’t wake it up.  So I unplugged it, and now it is cold and dead.  Not so easy to use my iPad.  

I was thinking about Anne Frank.  I wonder what she would have accomplished if she had lived.  Her short life was quite an inspiration.   

thank you for Father David’s sermon, Graham.   We’re off to church soon.  I’m finding it difficult to control my cough, I’m going to have to be careful in church or I’ll get dirty looks.  But I don’t think I could be infectious any more.  We went out yesterday to get my suit cace repaired.  On our flight to Victoria last week, my lock was torn away completely, and the zipper pulls damaged .  There’s a place in town where they do repairs and said they can replace the pulls, and also stitch up a bit of damage on the top.  Cheaper than getting a new suitcase.  

@kochleffel,  we did a tour with Daniel last time in Funchal, so I’m tempted, but I can’t remember which one it was.  I’m thinking about it and will decide soon.  But Funchal is so easy to DIY, too.  We’ve been there about 4 times, and I think the only place I really want to go to is the market.  

Ann, sorry about your laptop.  Good news that you could get your suitcase repaired.

18 minutes ago, durangoscots said:

Good morning. Cloudy and cold and some snow predicted for tonight and then a dry period to follow. We can only hope as the snow is deep. It will stay very cold.

Sort of a good/bad day sort of time right now. Two people I know from my days of dog showing have lost dogs. One of these was a scottie friend, Vandra Huber, in Portland whose van with 3 scotties and a cairn was stolen yesterday. I heard this morning it was found and the dogs are safe and well. Whew!! Also from the dog show world, a Berger Picard escaped a transit van. It was out in the Nevada winter snows for 10 days before it was found hiding under a sage. Unfortunately, it died at the vets a few days later. RIP Bumble. The owner expended mega bucks with drones, trappers and searchers.  And personally, my brother's daughter and her husband live in Monteray Park. I have not heard from them, but although they will celebrate Chinese New Year I am sure that with 2 small children they were settled in bed well before the shooting. Still, it is downright scary. Hopefully they will check in later.

And so it goes. I continue to plug along with the sorting at a very, very slow pace. My excuse is that with the deep snow I can't reach the trash bin or recycling bin easily. Yeah, sure.

Susan

Susan, sorry about what happened to all the dogs, especially Bumble.  I hope your niece and her family are all okay.  

17 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

It's a cloudy but dry'ish day in the PNW, with high 30's-low 40's F today.  I'll pass on the Blonde Brownies and take the chocolate ones, will definitely come in from the cold, and every cat I've ever known never asked questions because they already knew the answers. 😉  

The quote from Anne Frank is a good one (and Debbie @dfishyou are so right), will pass on the wine, the drink sounds like it might be good.  The meal would be good too, but as Debbie said, rice isn't diabetic-friendly so I'll pass.  Labs tomorrow so today especially is not a day for rice.  It will be salad for dinner tonight.  

Astoria is a port for Pacific Coastal cruises and we've been there on cruises and on drives down the coast.  The last time was with our DGS when we took him there for his birthday last year.  There was at least one cruise we missed that port because of 25-foot seas.  Unfortunately it was a cruise I took with my BFF and it was her first cruise (!)  But being the trooper she is, she went on another cruise later and loved it.  My photos of Astoria follow.  We've been there so many times, we've done almost everything there is to do there besides driving to Seaside and Cannon Beach.

Sadly the news about Patricia is not good.  Here's the latest from her Dad:

"This is my next to last update on Patricia's medical condition. The brain injury Patricia sustained from lack of oxygen has proven to be insurmountable. She is on life support for now, but she will be removed from that on Monday. Wish I had better news."

We're all very sad, of course.  She fought a long, hard battle with Lupus for 33 years. I never heard her complain, always a smile and joke.   Multiple surgeries, a kidney transplant (that failed after a year) and then a year+ of dialysis.  She will leave 2 young daughters, a large loving family and countless friends.

Sandi @StLouisCruisersHappy 25th birthday to Tyler!!

The port of Astoria, Oregon

Astoria1.jpg.e329c0f66a9db7a1ccbde8dab17659ad.jpg

Haystack Rock, Cannon Beach

1560669999_HaystackRockCannonBeach1.jpg.726d44c7b2515e1f7f04c0a9ffb35bb3.jpg

Seaside

Seaside.jpg.1c3c7723d416ad6fd82515eb6dbbc66e.jpg

Flavel House Museum in Astoria

1928467723_FlavelHouse.jpg.13a3165dbf23db07efd84eb1c4d7d307.jpg

Entering Oregon in the rain on the 4-mile long Astoria Bridge

246621433_4mileAstoriaBridgeenteringOR.jpg.00c672e46b3d4d30667d0f791f480918.jpg

Carolyn, I'm so sorry the news about Patricia is not good.  Your entire family, especially Patricia's two young daughter's and her close family are in our thoughts at this trying time.  Thank you for your pictures.  They brought back good memories of our trips along the Washington and Oregon coasts.

16 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

I hated lining up in military formation and waiting and waiting on RCI a few years ago. Some "soldiers" violated orders by keeping their earbuds in and they were dressed down for it.

NCL now requires just watching a video on the TV in your stateroom -- and the TV won't work for anything else until you do -- and going in person to the muster station so that you know where it is. The muster check-in is open all afternoon and if you don't do it they do track you down.

That has been the procedure on HAL since the start up last year.  It is much easier, quicker and a heck of a lot more civilized.

Lenda

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Lady Hudson said:

Thanks for sharing the sermon and the picture of your church.  May I ask how old the building is?  Have a wonderful day and best wishes to Sarah.  Katherine 

Thank you Katherine.

This is our view where we sit before the congregation come in.

I hope you are both well and your husband's dental work is going to plan.

Graham.

Screenshot_20230122_170122.jpg

IMG_20220626_094722.jpg

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3

Good Morning from an overcast but warm day at the beach

Anne Frank was a remarkable young woman. I cant even imagine what she may have accomplished had she lived. 

@ottahand7 Thank you for your uodates on your trip. We will be taking that same trip in October and it is very helpful to see what others have done.   Enjoy!

@Cruising-along I am so sorry to hear about Patricia. I will continue to keep her and her family in my prayers. 

@MISTER 67 Dont worry about being upset with HAL right now. Hopefully they will figure it out. The important thing as a fellow golfer is to concentrate on your golf game!

I played golf yesterday for the first time in 3 months. I played OK but more importantly I played and enjoyed it. 

The kite festival was great. Weather was wonderful. It continues today but we are staying put today. Had a really full day yesterday.

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

• Like 18
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, rafinmd said:

I have a feeling Westerdam is in drydock:

Capture3.jpg.de77105c7177e8fb3f4d62a5e930b94c.jpg

Roy

I didn't notice the break in itineraries for Westerdam. I think you are correct and have updated the source. Thanks again for keeping up with this.

Also, Zuiderdam made the short jump to Moorea overnight and we will be here until 4:30pm

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dobiemom said:

It’s the Year of the Rabbit 

Copy+paste, but change what the bunny is holding! 

(\_/)

( •.•)

/ >🍹

(\_/)

( *.*)

/> 🍭

I will pass on the blonde brownies, thank you.  I always had to be forced to come in from the cold when I was a kid.  Astoria was covid-cancelled but I’d still like to go.  Anne Frank had such a pure and loving heart.

When I had cats I would always answer their questions with a question.  They either walked away in disgust or came and gave me a hug.  😽  

I’d have the watermelon martini if it was made with real watermelon.  Schnapps would be way too sweet.  We had chicken and shrimp fried rice (homemade) the other night.  It was delicious.  Tonight I think I will roast a chicken.  Or maybe I’ll make some Oven-Baked Ribs.  Hmm.  Decisions decisions.

@Cruising-along, I am so very sorry to hear of your sad news.  Sending warm and loving thoughts and (((BIG HUGS))).  💐

Edited by *Miss G*
Weird change in font size
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

There was a question on yesterday's thread about my passport.  I submitted the application November 30 and so far have heard nothing.  I hope it is moving along and  would know by now if there is a problem.

Roy

My son sent his in 12 weeks and still does not have it back. I guess he will be using his birth certificate for our Disney cruise next week. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4

40 minutes ago, durangoscots said:

Good morning. Cloudy and cold and some snow predicted for tonight and then a dry period to follow. We can only hope as the snow is deep. It will stay very cold.

Sort of a good/bad day sort of time right now. Two people I know from my days of dog showing have lost dogs. One of these was a scottie friend, Vandra Huber, in Portland whose van with 3 scotties and a cairn was stolen yesterday. I heard this morning it was found and the dogs are safe and well. Whew!! Also from the dog show world, a Berger Picard escaped a transit van. It was out in the Nevada winter snows for 10 days before it was found hiding under a sage. Unfortunately, it died at the vets a few days later. RIP Bumble. The owner expended mega bucks with drones, trappers and searchers.  And personally, my brother's daughter and her husband live in Monterey Park. I have not heard from them, but although they will celebrate Chinese New Year I am sure that with 2 small children they were settled in bed well before the shooting. Still, it is downright scary. Hopefully they will check in later.

And so it goes. I continue to plug along with the sorting at a very, very slow pace. My excuse is that with the deep snow I can't reach the trash bin or recycling bin easily. Yeah, sure.

Susan

Susan, what a shame about Bumble!  I'm glad to hear the other 4 dogs were found in the first case.  Good luck with all that snow.  Hope your niece and family are safe and sound!🤞

39 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

It's a cloudy but dry'ish day in the PNW, with high 30's-low 40's F today.  I'll pass on the Blonde Brownies and take the chocolate ones, will definitely come in from the cold, and every cat I've ever known never asked questions because they already knew the answers. 😉  

The quote from Anne Frank is a good one (and Debbie @dfishyou are so right), will pass on the wine, the drink sounds like it might be good.  The meal would be good too, but as Debbie said, rice isn't diabetic-friendly so I'll pass.  Labs tomorrow so today especially is not a day for rice.  It will be salad for dinner tonight.  

Astoria is a port for Pacific Coastal cruises and we've been there on cruises and on drives down the coast.  The last time was with our DGS when we took him there for his birthday last year.  There was at least one cruise we missed that port because of 25-foot seas.  Unfortunately it was a cruise I took with my BFF and it was her first cruise (!)  But being the trooper she is, she went on another cruise later and loved it.  My photos of Astoria follow.  We've been there so many times, we've done almost everything there is to do there besides driving to Seaside and Cannon Beach.

"This is my next to last update on Patricia's medical condition. The brain injury Patricia sustained from lack of oxygen has proven to be insurmountable. She is on life support for now, but she will be removed from that on Monday. Wish I had better news."

We're all very sad, of course.  She fought a long, hard battle with Lupus for 33 years. I never heard her complain, always a smile and joke.   Multiple surgeries, a kidney transplant (that failed after a year) and then a year+ of dialysis.  She will leave 2 young daughters, a large loving family and countless friends.

Seaside

Carolyn, I'm very sorry to hear the news is not better about Patricia.  Prayers for the family as they wait for her passing.  She's much too young.  Her Dad's update was so sad.

The photos are great of Astoria.  Thank you.  

And thanks to you and those who wish Tyler a happy birthday. I don't know how he became grown so quickly.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RedneckBob said:

Welcome back Mister 67. I generally feel the same about HAL but I keep coming back. Been sailing on Celebrity but now Celebrity is cutting back especially at their Oceanview Cafe for dinner. Reduced selections by 75%! Hope changes in HAL entertainment helps. Sorry bout your finger infection but remember playing golf is like riding a bike, assuming you learned how to ride a bike. 😀

Thanks RB, yep the industry is changing, our next cruise is with X on the Reflection and I've read some threads from disgruntled cruisers on the Celebrity board. We had a great cruise on the Infinity in October so it will be interesting to see how things are over there now. 

• Like 16

23 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

Thanks RB, yep the industry is changing, our next cruise is with X on the Reflection and I've read some threads from disgruntled cruisers on the Celebrity board. We had a great cruise on the Infinity in October so it will be interesting to see how things are over there now. 

We also have the Reflection in the batters box. Just off the Beyond in late 2022. Celebrity threads have been very negative recently!

Forgot, I said several hours ago no more posts. Can’t help myself 😀

Edited by RedneckBob
  • Like 10
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning friends on this soggy Sunday morning!  I heard it raining heavily off and on all night long and now we expect the same for the rest of today. ⛈️ It's only 41 degrees and at the most will rise to 50.  I'm looking forward to Monday and Tuesday because I see sunshine for those two days.  

Thanks Roy @rafinmdfor getting up early and posting Rich's @richwmn's Daily and Fleet Report.  Interesting the Westerdam seems to have gone to drydock early in Singapore.  Love today's quote by Anne Frank.  Blonde brownies sound good, I have no cats to ask questions of, and would certainly come in from the cold (and wet) if I were outside.  I doubt I step foot out the door actually!  The menu suggestion sounds great.  No thanks to the drink and wine (more left for you!).  I will listen to Father David's sermon in a little bit.  Thanks Graham @grapau27for posting the link.  Hope you and Pauline have a lovely day, and give Sarah our best wishes.  Good to hear she's feeling a little better!❤️  Prayers for her and the rest of our ailing Daily family.  I hope that list is shorter soon and everyone gets well.  Cheers to the Celebration list folks.🥂  Enjoy your cruises friends!🚢

Our port today is Astoria, Oregon which was last posted here a year ago on January 17, 2022 (MLK Day).  I haven't been to Astoria, or even the state of Oregon before.  Hmmm.  Anyway, I'm sure that must be a stop on a Coastal cruise.  Please show us your photos, and to make it easier here's the link to January 17, 2022 for you.

Happy 25th birthday Tyler! 🎂  Have a wonderful day everyone.

Thank you Sandi.

Sending 25th birthday wishes for Tyler.

Graham.

birthday-fireworks.gif.93f1e7c6e52e2869b60c44635b2a604d.gif

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Fleet Report/Daily and to all contributors.

I've never had a blonde brownie, no cat here, and I will stay inside due to the cold and coming snow today. Great quote. I like the meal, although maybe using cauliflower rice or brown rice. I will be making pork chops tonight. Pass on the drink and yes to the wine if someone buys it for me! 

I haven't been to Astoria.

It's chilly and grey today, with snow coming this evening. The rain/snow cutoff line keeps moving, so hard to estimate how much snow, but only 1"-2" likely. No special plans other than watching football. My lab results from Friday are trickling into the electronic health record and seem pretty ok.

Terrible to hear about the mass shooting in California near the Lunar New Year celebration.

@grapau27 Thank you for Fr. David's sermon today and showing us St. Paul's Church. I hope Sarah is continuing to feel better.

@MISTER 67 Good to see you checking in, and good luck getting your golf swing back to where it was.

@aliaschief I hope the cold symptoms remain mild.

@rafinmd Thanks for starting us up and our lists.

@StLouisCruisers You can check on your passport application online. It's a pain, as they have to send you a number in email as a security check. Then all it says is "in progress", so that really doesn't tell you much. And Happy Birthday to Tyler!

@Heartgrove Bon Voyage!

@durangoscots Oh my on the van being stolen with scotties inside, but a happy ending. Sad about the Bumble. Prayers that your niece and her family are safe.

@Cruising-along Thanks for the photos of Astoria. Prayers for Patricia and all the family; an awful decision to be made about taking her off life support, but necessary with no chance of brain recovery.

Happy Chinese New Year!

(\_/)

( *.*)

/> 🍦

Prayers for the Care List and Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay well everyone.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

Seaside

I'm so sorry to hear Patricia's time is close.

Graham 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1