Harmony vs Wonder, same itinerary input requested

I tried to search this forum but either my browser was not cooperating or I just couldn't find what I was looking for. I am considering booking a last minute cruise for the beginning of summer. We really want to try one of Royal's big ships and the best that meets our needs is either Harmony or Wonder, same itinerary at the end of May. One leaves out of Port Canaveral, one Miami. We have cruised out of Miami 2x in the last year , so are comfortable with that port and have prev cruised out of Port Canaveral as well. The Harmony cruise is about $300 cheaper. This cruise is just my daughter and I , she is finishing 8th grade. I looked at an article comparing the 2 ships and it looks to me like most of the upgrades on WOS wouldn't matter much to us bc we wont be in a suite or anything?  Would love to hear any and all opinions and input from those who have been on one or the other. Thank you so much! 

Edited by beccawes7471

The Miami cruise on Harmony is less expensive and the port in MIami has easier/faster/less expensive access to/from the airport. If you haven't been on an Oasis-class ship either one would be great so I would go with Harmony. Especially if it's the same itinerary.

• Like 2

Wonder is a nice step up in design over the other Oasis class ships. Wind Jammer entrance and size is much better and it has the newest and latest features across the ship, even the lifts with the touch display was a nice touch and the rooms having a nice update including some of the venues.  

We did Oasis pre amplified and then Wonder in the med and if it was just the ship it’s got a good few touches that set it apart. 

I'm on Harmony in May and would give anything to be on Wonder sailing out of PC.  Miami is proving to be uber expensive and difficult whereas for me PC is cheaper and easier.  Harmony also looks very sterile to me and blah (staterooms) but I haven't really looked at Wonder's rooms.  Definitely regretting my choice.

Getting to Port Canaveral is easy peasy by renting a car and dropping by the port or there are shuttle companies that do it fairly cheap. Some even offer hotel packages if flying in the day before that include the room and transportation both ways.  I find that Orlando is usually considerably cheaper to fly in/out of.

Edited by sailor05
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Harmony is my least favorite of the Oasis ships

Any specific reason?  We’ve not said Oasis class since 2019 but will be on Harmony next month, so I’d be interested in your perspective and especially things/places on the ship to avoid.

22 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

I am confused by the talk of Port Canaveral and Miami.  I am on Harmony next month and we are sailing out of Ft. Lauderdale? 

As of mid March, Harmony moves to Miami. Coincides with Symphony going to Europe. 

Edited by mac_tlc

16 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

As of mid March, Harmony moves to Miami. Coincides with Symphony going to Europe. 

Ah, after our sailing dates so no need for me to be concerned.  We only have next month’s cruise as our only cruise on Royal for 2023. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

Any specific reason?  We’ve not said Oasis class since 2019 but will be on Harmony next month, so I’d be interested in your perspective and especially things/places on the ship to avoid.

Wonder has better restaurants, aqua show, solarium, windjammer,  ice show, cabins, music hall, Lime & Coconut, Playmaker's,  El Loco, etc... Didn't catch the shows in Royal Theater

Harmony has Grease, Columbus, and a 2nd FlowRider. 

The only appeal was being in PC

Just my opinion

• Like 1

We've been on Harmony a couple of times.  Granddaughter did like programs for teens and hanging out with friends but that will be similar on both ships.  Unless there are features specifically on Wonder you want, why pay more?  Also the travel to the port is farther and a bit more expensive at Port Canaveral (try goport.com).  Harmony solarium had no shade, if that is a factor.

2 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Wonder has better restaurants, aqua show, solarium, windjammer,  ice show, cabins, music hall, Lime & Coconut, Playmaker's,  El Loco, etc... Didn't catch the shows in Royal Theater

Just my opinion

Thanks for the response.  We’ve made reservations for the shows onboard and are looking forward to those.

We are not big users of speciality restaurants but have a lunch at chops and dinner at 150 booked.  I am sure we’ll also eat at Izumi at least once, usually for lunch.

We do not sunbathe nor do we spend time poolside or on the flow rider. 

I would have liked to experience Playmakers and El Loco but maybe next time we sail with Royal. 

1 hour ago, LeeW said:

We've been on Harmony a couple of times.  Granddaughter did like programs for teens and hanging out with friends but that will be similar on both ships.  Unless there are features specifically on Wonder you want, why pay more?  Also the travel to the port is farther and a bit more expensive at Port Canaveral (try goport.com).  Harmony solarium had no shade, if that is a factor.

Thank you for your input.  As you can see from above, we are not prone to relaxing in the sun and most of our outdoor time is usually in the shade of our balcony or on the Suite Sundeck. 

7 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

Thank you for your input.  As you can see from above, we are not prone to relaxing in the sun and most of our outdoor time is usually in the shade of our balcony or on the Suite Sundeck. 

Suite sundeck on Wonder totally blows away Harmony. SL/CK seems nicer as well, but we didn't visit due to our short time onboard

4 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Suite sundeck on Wonder totally blows away Harmony. SL/CK seems nicer as well, but we didn't visit due to our short time onboard

Unfortunately the soot on the suite's sun deck is a real problem.   Bucky had a brand new pair of expensive shorts he uses as cover up ruined when soot burned a hole in them.  They were laying on chair next to him while he was in his bathing suit, and did not notice in time.  The deck can be really covered in the nasty stuff sometimes.  Bad design with stack location.  

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Just my opinion

Works for me!   Already booked again for three more on Wonder.  🙂 

• Like 1

We cruised out of Miami 2x in the last year and found it very easy and found great airfare, although now that might have changed as most airfare has skyrocketed. I just don't like an hour drive to the port each way, again, more money and less time vacationing. Uber in Miami from port to airport cost me $25 (with tip) in September for 3 people and 5 suitcases and took, no exaggeration, 11 minutes door to door.  I also think it is a much prettier sail away. I cruise to relax and am not a drinker or partier. Mostly I sit by a pool and read while my daughter meets friends and has fun. She loves a flowrider. We enjoy lunches and dinner together. We do love Grease so that would be fun! We could never afford a suite so the adult area sounds amazing on Wonder but wouldn't be applicable to me. I love the adult only areas on Disney boats as they do have their own pool and coffee lounge with yummy treats. We will try Harmony. Of course, my daughter (and I) are very interested in Icon but will wait a year or so for the kinks to work out and take advantage of hopefully cheaper fares on other boats until then, cruising is our favorite! 

13 hours ago, beccawes7471 said:

Thank you everyone, I was leaning Harmony and input really helped. The $300 savings plus not having to go to Port Canaveral from MCO were the advantages I saw, glad to hear ships are similar. 

The ships are quite different, both in design and in execution. We just got off of two weeks on Wonder, and have sailed all the other Oasis class ships multiple times and while we would be happy to sail on any of the other four in a heartbeat, we moved all of our six upcoming Wonder bookings to other ships in the fleet. We will never sail on that ship again. The design of Wonder is an insult to the Oasis class legacy.

Edited by orville99

36 minutes ago, island lady said:

Unfortunately the soot on the suite's sun deck is a real problem.   Bucky had a brand new pair of expensive shorts he uses as cover up ruined when soot burned a hole in them.  They were laying on chair next to him while he was in his bathing suit, and did not notice in time.  The deck can be really covered in the nasty stuff sometimes.  Bad design with stack location.  

Does the soot end up on the covered seating