Ziplocks, NCL is turning cruisers into squirrels

skeeter195

39 minutes ago, Winky7650 said:

I really enjoy making a plate of cheese and crackers to take on deck to enjoy with a glass of wine. I guess I need to bring Tupperware since carrying plates of food out of the buffet is frowned upon. 😉😂

I had no idea it was frowned upon to take food out of the buffet. I also love making my own fruit and cheese plate to sit on my balcony alone. My husband and I try to give each other some downtime without the kids and a snack plate or lunch by myself is HEAVENLY. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, weltek said:

Personally, the Observation Lounge snacks on the newer ships took away any potential desire I have to take food back to our room. My need for snacks was always something light (okay, one exception: chicken wing craving) while having a drink and reading. The Observation Lounge experience brings together those kinds of snacks with a beautiful, comfortable setting.  

That is good to know if I am on a ship that has the Observation Lounge.

• Like 1

Just now, Monica887 said:

I had no idea it was frowned upon to take food out of the buffet. I also love making my own fruit and cheese plate to sit on my balcony alone. My husband and I try to give each other some downtime without the kids and a snack plate or lunch by myself is HEAVENLY. 

It’s frowned upon by judging passengers.  Not NCL.     

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Monica887 said:

Cheese plate away! NCL doesn't care...at least not until they start weighing the buffet plates by the pound. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cruise5life said:

Or guests should anticipate the need to make sure they have snacks for a 2 am face stuffing of food.   Planning is key on both ends.       

I am a planner myself, but it's likely after a night of drinking I'd want a bit more than a few cookies and snacks in my cabin for this occasion. I think NCL is the one who should be anticipating what the guest might like on New Year's Eve. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, uneamie said:

The issue is a 2 hour wait for the 24 hour restaurant after 12 midnight on NEW YEARS EVE!!!

13 minutes ago, uneamie said:

It's one dam night for heaven sakes. 

Wow, for someone who said you weren't even on the ship in question, you seem to be getting really worked up over this. *shrug*

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, uneamie said:

I don't think the issue is people going hungry. The issue is a 2 hour wait for the 24 hour restaurant after 12 midnight on NEW YEARS EVE!!! No one is expecting you to feel sorry about that.  We are not talking about every night or every day access to food. We are talking about a "special occasion" when more then the usual amount of people will be celebrating and wanting something to eat after the clock turns midnight and after a night of drinking....then come to find a 2 hour line at the only place to get food.  Yes, NCL should be anticipating their paying guest desire ( not need ) for that. It's one dam night for heaven sakes. 

Agreed!  Usually NYE parties will have a continental breakfast or some type of snack after midnight.  I think NCL just is cutting way back.  

We were on many years ago during the World Series (something not shown anymore bc no contract) and they set up a little buffet during it.  Nothing fancy...hot dogs or wings..but a nice touch.  I know people have said they've done it during the Super Bowl.  I'll be on during the Super Bowl and I'll be surprised to see this.  I also saw a report of no football on one of these LIVEs so maybe the Super Bowl might not even be shown! It is the little touches that keep disappearing.

I've seen many changes over the years since I started with NCL.  I've been disappointed but kept coming back.  Now, it is so many changes in a short time.   My last cruise was in November and the changes since then are so many and not for the better.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, DCGuy64 said:

Wow, for someone who said you weren't even on the ship in question, you seem to be getting really worked up over this. *shrug*

I am far from worked up over THIS....I am frustrated by the insane responses to it. People work me up...not a cruise. And since I will be on this ship in a few months I do have a stake in how they operate going forward. Just so ya know! 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Cruise5life said:

It’s frowned upon by judging passengers.  Not NCL.     

Never have I ever had NCL frown upon my buffet plate (covered) leaving the buffet.  Always get a "enjoy your dinner" from any crew at the exit.  

Now the Local/O'Sheehans is a different story, they specifically state that no food is to be taken out.

MDR & specialty restaurants seem to have varying policies. People got take out containers in Cagneys on my last cruise.

• Like 2

I just want to be fair toward NCL. I know, I know...I was on the 2023 New Year's Eve/Day cruise on Getaway. We did go through the Atrium and noticed NCL had a buffet in O'Sheehan's for folks to peruse. The buffet had hot dogs, burgers, and chicken tenders and was offered until at least midnight, if not a wee bit longer.

Additionally, the Garden Cafe did have snacks available until 1 AM. I'm not sure what they were as we were in our room slightly before midnight. On New Year's Day, Garden Cafe went back to a 9:30 or 10 closing time. 

20230102_075656.jpg.99ef1dea6537336b4829

• Like 3

so tell me, honestly, have you never asked for a doggie bag, when you found that you were either full prior to the end of your meal, or the main course was just to big to finish.

i'd rather see people take food from any of the ship board restaurants, then see the food go to waste. our last cruise was on the gem, and the few times we ate in the buffet, it killed me to see how much was put out, and how much wasnt even touched

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have to admit, I take cookies and candy from the Haven lounges and put them in ziplock bags to carry onshore during excursions. We have been on cruises where our butler brings us plates full of cookies and peanut M&Ms when they know we like them so I don't think we are breaking any NCL rules. I'm sorry of some people don't approve.

Just now, complawyer said:

so tell me, honestly, have you never asked for a doggie bag, when you found that you were either full prior to the end of your meal, or the main course was just to big to finish.

i'd rather see people take food from any of the ship board restaurants, then see the food go to waste. our last cruise was on the gem, and the few times we ate in the buffet, it killed me to see how much was put out, and how much wasnt even touched

Ha - no we never do.  We joke it only becomes a science project.

I don't judge those who do though.  That said,  I get taking cookies or desserts on a cruise, not other food though.   If I was hungry for more than a small snack I would prefer freshly cooked foods and order RM or go to O'Sheenas.  Knowing I have to "work" for the food would cause me to second guess the need.  If it's easy to access I'm going to access it and gain more weight.  

That's me though.

27 minutes ago, julig22 said:

Never have I ever had NCL frown upon my buffet plate (covered) leaving the buffet.  Always get a "enjoy your dinner" from any crew at the exit.  

Now the Local/O'Sheehans is a different story, they specifically state that no food is to be taken out.

MDR & specialty restaurants seem to have varying policies. People got take out containers in Cagneys on my last cruise.

Apparently you can’t read.  In now way did I say that NCL frowned upon it.   Enjoy

39 minutes ago, Monica887 said:

I agree.. by about day three, I just want/need to get away from the crowds for a bit..

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, rsato said:

I have to admit, I take cookies and candy from the Haven lounges and put them in ziplock bags to carry onshore during excursions. We have been on cruises where our butler brings us plates full of cookies and peanut M&Ms when they know we like them so I don't think we are breaking any NCL rules. I'm sorry of some people don't approve.

You’re in the heaven so this doesn’t really apply to you. You get waited on hand and foot.  Lol.  
we’re talking about the poor folk.   

56 minutes ago, uneamie said:

The issue is a 2 hour wait for the 24 hour restaurant after 12 midnight on NEW YEARS EVE!!!

How, exactly, would they solve that problem?  There are only so many tables/seats and if people decide to just sit to enjoy their meal and observe what's going on in the Atrium there's simply nothing they can do to resolve the back-log at that venue.

17 minutes ago, complawyer said:

Most of my dinners are not something I would consider gnawing on when cold and sitting around for a few hours.  But that's just me.

• Haha 2

One of my prescriptions needs to be taken with food.  I always bring a croissant or other breakfast pastry down to my room and place it in a ziplock bag.  The next morning I make a cup of coffee, eat my snack and take my medication in the privacy of my cabin.  I find that a much preferable option than trying to take my pills while eating in the buffet.

• Like 4

I admit I asked a question about this in a different outlet.  Our last couple of cruises, Royal and Princess had a complimentary cold case of items with the coffee shop.  It was the perfect way to end the night.  We would get done with the show/game/ karaoke and stop at the "cafe".  My younger kids would get cookies and milk my teenage son would get 2-3-4 ham and cheese sandwiches.  We really enjoyed it.  So I asked if the Escape had something similar and was told NO, just osheeans and we don't want to wait for that. The main suggestion was to grab a plate of cold cuts, cheese and rolls from the buffet to keep in the room.  If NCL doesn't have a grab and go option, I will bring the ziplocks because NO ONE wants to see my HANGRY teenager!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1