New Crystal - the Good, the Bad and the Indifferent

claudiaYVR

We have been on several cruises over the past two years and have talked to at least twenty former Crystal employees.  With only one exception, they say they want to return to Crystal.  Included in this sample is one of the former cruise directors, a “key” bartender, and head waiter.  In our discussions they also said they were in touch with their friends and fellow employees and the are hoping to return also.  I think Keith is correct in his comments about returning Crystal employees.

The only concern many had was returning with their former wages, seniority and positions. The only one not wanting to return has been recently married and started his on business.  

• Like 3

I don't expect the new Crystal Cruises to be a carbon copy of the former Crystal.

Just like a new restaurant which opens in an existing building the new Crystal is new as the old Crystal was not purchased.

As is the case with all purchases each person will decide.

Looking forward to experiencing the new Crystal.

Keith

2 minutes ago, Mr Luxury said:

I'll get my patent shoes ready. 

First step is book a Crystal cruise.  If you don't do that no need to get your shoes ready.

You are spending too much time here not to book the cruise.

We have a saying in the USA.

Just do it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Keith1010 said:

The plan is to have Ambassador Hosts and as well as a Dance Instructor Couple for those who were asking about this.

Keith

Then why don't they tell someone besides you? Put it on the web site maybe? so people will know what to expect?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, suzeluvscruz said:

Then why don't they tell someone besides you? Put it on the web site maybe? so people will know what to expect?

They will. I asked though.

But first things first and that is all the work they are doing to get entertainment and enrichment in place. 

Same goes for many other things which in-time will be added to the web site.

They don't have people sitting around.  Remember they have to scale up.

Keith

14 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

They will. I asked though.

But first things first and that is all the work they are doing to get entertainment and enrichment in place. 

Same goes for many other things which in-time will be added to the web site.

They don't have people sitting around.  Remember they have to scale up.

Keith

They don't have to be specific, they just need to be up front about what they will have. It's tough navigating in the dark! And actually, people on this board have been asking. Does nobody at Crystal monitor it anymore?

Edited by suzeluvscruz
Added
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, suzeluvscruz said:

We were on Serenity shortly after AI was instituted and there were indeed more drunk guests than we had seen since our first Crystal cruise in 1995! And drunk VERY early in the day too!

What is 'Al"?? .

We were on Symphony just before Covid  AND Serenity and Symphony when re-started, includng just 2 weeks before the end. NEVER saw any drunks on ANY of my 18 cruises!

• Like 1

Just now, braxx20 said:

What is 'Al"?? .

We were on Symphony just before Covid  AND Serenity and Symphony when re-started, includng just 2 weeks before the end. NEVER saw any drunks on ANY of my 18 cruises!

All inclusive 

Nancy

In keeping with the thread another one coming soon will be pre and post hotels  I know this is important for some of you which is why I am posting this.  

Also in keeping wit the thread there is a lot of information which will be coming our way.  Much of it is in progress so as things are finalize then it will be shared either on the Crystal site or through communications or both.

It probably won't come as fast as we would all like but it is a work in progress.

Keith

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, HUNKY said:

Did anyone notice that the new Director of Communications will be working with influencers?

Can't say I know of any influencers who specialized in original Crystal.  Maybe the CC lurkers know.

Guess that's an attempt to attract the younger crowd. I'm not in the TikTok generation, but all I can say is what I have seen of "influencers" other places on the internet, all they do is influence me to want to hurl!!

Patty

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

14 minutes ago, HUNKY said:

Did anyone notice that the new Director of Communications will be working with influencers?

Can't say I know of any influencers who specialized in original Crystal.  Maybe the CC lurkers know.

To a degree there were some as you would see someone invited on-board to blog about their experience. This is an influencer.  Some also shared their experience on other platforms such as YouTube.

Some cruise lines have fairly large programs such as Carnival, Princess, RCI to name a few.  The new PR director has experience from Celebrity (part of RCI) and Carnival.

And I thought TikTok referred to clock.  Oh I feel old.  🤣

Keith

TX Tillie - take a look at Gary Bembridge's Tips for Travellers on YouTube.  He's pretty balanced and his content often has good tips and advice.  He certainly has more impact on new cruisers than most CC posters.

Over 355 thousand subscribers, along with over 120 MILLION views on his channel.

Keith1010 - ask your grandkids about TikTok, they know what it is.

Edited by HUNKY

25 minutes ago, HUNKY said:

TX Tillie - take a look at Gary Bembridge's Tips for Travellers on YouTube.  He's pretty balanced and his content often has good tips and advice.  He certainly has more impact on new cruisers than most CC posters.

Over 355 thousand subscribers, along with over 120 MILLION views on his channel.

Keith1010 - ask your grandkids about TikTok, they know what it is.

Think the problem is the definition of influencer. I don't think of sites like that as an influencer. I always thought that influencer referred to people like the Kardashians and worse. 🤓😱☺️

Patty

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Texas Tillie said:

Think the problem is the definition of influencer. I don't think of sites like that as an influencer. I always thought that influencer referred to people like the Kardashians and worse. 🤓😱☺️

Patty

It’s just a newer word for an ooooolllld concept.  Crystal worked with influencers for decades, under different titles.

Vince

• Like 4

2 hours ago, BWIVince said:

It’s just a newer word for an ooooolllld concept.  Crystal worked with influencers for decades, under different titles.

Vince

I agree. I have to say that the wonderful reviews of the original Crystal have influenced as to book cruises with them. Those reviews came from cruisers and also from magazines. 
I have also written reviews and live blogs of some of my cruises. I guess I am also kind of an “influencer”. Only I have never got any benefit, financial or any type from sharing my impressions. Ticktockers make a lot of money  out of their posts. It is for me just annoying sometimes going to a good restaurant and seeing the today influencers making several pictures of themselves in order to make comment about the restaurant.

Ivi

Edited by travelberlin
  • Like 1

FWIW. Posted on the Crystal Society FB page: 

“Last night the dance hosts received emails from Compass saying that the dance host program is back in operation on Crystal, they will send 4 hosts on each cruise and Compass will manage the program.“

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, claudiaYVR said:

FWIW. Posted on the Crystal Society FB page: 

“Last night the dance hosts received emails from Compass saying that the dance host program is back in operation on Crystal, they will send 4 hosts on each cruise and Compass will manage the program.“

That’s fantastic news. I’ll get out my dance shoes. 

• Like 2

Having sailed on the Crystal Symphony July 2008 and enjoyed the Baltics/Russia exploring with them, I did look at the detailed itinerary offerings that are now posted on their new website.  My initial impression was that it was a lots of the "same-old, same-old".  Nothing too much that unique, special or very interesting compared to many of the "same old thing" ports and stops we have done in the past with various cruise lines.  

But, I did find a MUMBAI-SINGAPORE, 13 night, Nov. 8-21, 2023, sailing on the Crystal Symphony that could be of serious interest to fit for a new area of the world where we want to explore.  Silversea does offer a Feb. 11-29, 2024 Mumbai to Singapore, 18 nights, Silver Moon, that is somewhat comparable. This SS India, etc., option is longer, has more port stops, higher price, etc. There are differences, various pro/con factors to consider, but I would seriously compare BOTH good options, if and if.  

My big question?  With nothing "perfect" after the Covid re-start, what will be more predictable and at a higher service level for food, staffing, etc., in comparing the new Crystal versus the more established Silversea??  Where am I more comfortable for the financial risks in putting down the required advance payments?  

Overall, with Crystal only having two ships to cover this very large and diverse world, it is harder to compete against Silversea's larger number of offerings, options and locations.  

Will be watching with interest.  I just tried to call Crystal for more info on the payment requirements/timing on their Mumbai to Singapore late 2023 sailing, but they are only open for calls Monday-Friday, 9 am to 6 pm.  Will try to check back next week.  

What else should I consider in comparing Crystal vs. Silversea for this part of the world on our future, to-do listing?

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 246,097 views.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/1172051-livesilver-cloud-norway-coastfjords-july-1-16-reports/