Solo last minute cruise

I’m looking to book a solo weekend cruise later this month. Looks like most of the remaining weekends are fully sold out but 1-2 times a day some cancellations must occur and these sailing are offered again on Royal caribbeans website. Unfortunately due to the very limited availability some of these sailings are requesting double occupancy in the room. What is stopping me from booking two people for the room and showing up and boarding by myself? I understand I will still be paying for the missing person but at least I can purchase and obtain the room. They would never turn me away at their terminal for such circumstances? Thank you for any help!

2 hours ago, schultz572 said:

Unfortunately due to the very limited availability some of these sailings are requesting double occupancy in the room.

That restriction might be avoidable by calling or using a TA (like the cheaper GTY rate might not come up if you search solo but it might bookable by calling), and you can also book solo and get the double points.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, ARandomTraveler said:

I think you just don't get the double points for sailing solo. For a weekend cruise that's negligible though. I 

if you are paying double occupancy rate like paying for 2 people then you do get double points

if you are in a studio room or there is no single supplement fee then you only get 1 point

• Like 2

Just now, shof515 said:

if you are paying double occupancy rate like paying for 2 people then you do get double points

Not if you book double and the second person is a no show as the OP plans to do. That went away about 3 years ago. A few folks may have gotten the points, but officially that is not supposed to happen anymore. To get the double points you have to book solo.

• Like 3

Does anyone have any guess as to when sold out bookings are reposted for sale after a cancellation that causes new availability? It seems when I check right away in the morning 6 am ish that is when the most new available sailing dates are available. Then throughout the day those sell out again. Also the week before the embarkation day, the more it seems rooms become available. Has anyone ever observed or have any advice how to catch one of these rooms?

31 minutes ago, schultz572 said:

Does anyone have any guess as to when sold out bookings are reposted for sale after a cancellation that causes new availability? It seems when I check right away in the morning 6 am ish that is when the most new available sailing dates are available. Then throughout the day those sell out again. Also the week before the embarkation day, the more it seems rooms become available. Has anyone ever observed or have any advice how to catch one of these rooms?

I don't think it's a fixed time or predictable.

Sometimes when a cabin is cancelled it isn't made available to the public.  They could be in a near capacity situation, oversold or they may have a need for a contractor on board who needs a cabin.  There are many reasons why a cabin that becomes available isn't offered for sale.  Depending on factors for each sail date the result is unpredictable.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, twangster said:

I don't think it's a fixed time or predictable.

Sometimes when a cabin is cancelled it isn't made available to the public.  They could be in a near capacity situation, oversold or they may have a need for a contractor on board who needs a cabin.  There are many reasons why a cabin that becomes available isn't offered for sale.  Depending on factors for each sail date the result is unpredictable.  

I called and they waitlisted me for a balcony room, said it should be likely someone cancels and since I am first on the waitlist I will be the first to have the option to book that room. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Not if you book double and the second person is a no show as the OP plans to do. That went away about 3 years ago. A few folks may have gotten the points, but officially that is not supposed to happen anymore. To get the double points you have to book solo.

Not true at least based on my experience. I had multiple cruises booked with my l wife last year.  She passed away early last year so I went on a bunch of cruises alone where she was technically a no show. I got double points for every one of these cruises. None of these cruises were booked when RCI was offering double points 

Edited by PhillyFan33579

1 hour ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Not true at least based on my experience. I had multiple cruises booked with my l wife last year.  She passed away early last year so I went on a bunch of cruises alone where she was technically a no show. I got double points for every one of these cruises. None of these cruises were booked when RCI was offering double points 

I am so sorry to hear about the passing of your wife.  

I believe that the policy of not giving double points in that situation is only recently enforced.

15 hours ago, shof515 said:

if you are in a studio room or there is no single supplement fee then you only get 1 point

Not true. I have booked for 2 people with DH being a no show. I only received 1 point per night.