Luggage problem exiting Harmony

jsf

We got off Harmony in FLL and went to our luggage area and could not find one piece of luggage. After getting lots of help and checking everywhere we decided to leave as we were driving home and hope RCL would find it or someone would call us.We got just north of Ocala , Fl when we got a call that someone had our bag.It was back about 40 miles so we turned around and found the home and picked up our bag. Just a warning please check for name tags on the luggage just because it's black it might not be yours. We added 80 miles to our trip and lot's off worrying because someone was in a hurry and didn't check to make sure they had the right luggage

• Like 9

I’m glad you got it back. I have never had black luggage for that reason. You can spot my brightly colored floral a mile away. I’m going to be buying new hard sided luggage for  my international trip in March, and it will be the brightest I can find. 😂

I also have AirTags now.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, crzndeb said:

I’m glad you got it back. I have never had black luggage for that reason. You can spot my brightly colored floral a mile away. I’m going to be buying new hard sided luggage for  my international trip in March, and it will be the brightest I can find. 😂

I also have AirTags now.

Yep, I always have the most wild and crazy luggage to avoid that situation. And it's wild, crazy and girlie--so that cuts down on any guys grabbing it, lol.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, crzndeb said:

I also have AirTags now.

You are wise.

2 hours ago, jsf said:

We got off Harmony in FLL and went to our luggage area and could not find one piece of luggage. After getting lots of help and checking everywhere we decided to leave as we were driving home and hope RCL would find it or someone would call us.We got just north of Ocala , Fl when we got a call that someone had our bag.It was back about 40 miles so we turned around and found the home and picked up our bag. Just a warning please check for name tags on the luggage just because it's black it might not be yours. We added 80 miles to our trip and lot's off worrying because someone was in a hurry and didn't check to make sure they had the right luggage

Sorry, yup it Happens. SIL had his taken at Airport after landing last Spring. Was good thing they were day early to Cruise..  I have red soft sides Baggage with large ID's attached, helps when nobody else does. But I've been lucky, always at Luggage Carousel it comes out

I am glad you were able to get your luggage back.  Now that I am a seasoned traveler, I would dream of buying black luggage.  But when I had black luggage, I would tie bright colored ribbons around the handles.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Grumpella said:

I tie bright orange flagging tape (not really a tape) to my luggage handles on both sides.  

Yep. i tie red christmas ribbon around the handles , you can spot it easily on the carousel at the airport. I do self assist at the ship so one mishap averted.

Choosing non-black luggage is a great start.  Adding a bright twist of your own is Step Two. 

But the easiest way to make sure no one takes your luggage -- assuming you're healthy -- is to use self-disembarkation and roll your own luggage off the ship.  Easier than driving 80 extra miles!  

• Like 1

Well…….being from the South I use strips of lime green duct tape on all sides of my luggage and I can pick it out at 100 yards……😂😂

I figure someone would be too embarrassed to steal it and walk around with it!!😂😂

• Like 2

8 hours ago, jsf said:

May I offer a different view....

You only had to drive an extra 80 miles to get your belongings back.

Not gone for good, no filing insurance claims and the hassle.  No going and buying replacement stuff.

80 miles are probably easier.

But, I get your point 

• Like 4

18 hours ago, crzndeb said:

I also have AirTags now.

Exactly what we do as well.   Bought two extremely wild flower print hard cases from Tumi online, picking the most wild colors I could.  Very easy to spot.  🙂 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Grumpella said:

I tie bright orange flagging tape (not really a tape) to my luggage handles on both sides.  

Reminds me of a time I took a ski trip out west with 60 people from a ski club. There was one guy that at the trip planning meetings kept harping about how clever he was to put pink florescent tape on his luggage. It was a bit too much. So the rest of us made a plan. He was not amused when the luggage started appearing in the baggage area and just about every bag, suitcase, skis, and boots was covered with pink florescent tape.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, shellunderwater said:

May I offer a different view....

You only had to drive an extra 80 miles to get your belongings back.

Not gone for good, no filing insurance claims and the hassle.  No going and buying replacement stuff.

80 miles are probably easier.

But, I get your point 

Add to that, not paying a possible shipping bill to get it to you.

I have luggage that is really large and naval blue.   I'd only ever seen the same luggage once in all the flights I took.  I was getting the other off the luggage thing when someone came running up acting like I was going to steal his luggage.   Really, I was just getting it off to check the tag.  

I think I'd have stayed there if the suspicion was that someone had grabbed mine on accident.   At some point there will be unclaimed luggage that looks like mine and that person would be called.  

Edited by HappyTexan44
  • Like 1

We use a combination.  We have removable handle covers that are bright colors and put the locking color bands around ours.  For Christmas our son gave us a pair of iTags to use.  I'll be using them for the first time next week. 

• Like 1