Your Best Seasickness Cure/Preventative

Galesa

Ok folks, let's have it. Your best seasickness cure or preventative.

About to depart Saturday on a Pacific cruise on Majestic Princess and; even if diverted from current storms, could end up with some heavy seas....and we're right at the back.

Methinks Kwells alone might not be sufficient.

TIA

1 hour ago, andlep said:

Phenergan works very well for me. One 25mg pill every night before bed(they cause drowsiness), starting two days before the cruise. Also works well for mal-disembarkment syndrome. 

Agree, I use phenergan now, I used to use Avomine until it became unavailable in Australia. Both medications' main ingredient is promethazine. If nauseous, green apples can help. There are usually some available in the buffet. Some swear by ginger, it does nothing for me. 

• Like 1

I gave my wife ONE over-the-counter motion sicknesses pill (Travel Calm, i think), and that knocked her out like a horse tranquilizer. She barely stirred for 24 hours.

(I rember that trick next time the God children come to visit...)

• Haha 2

Ginger is my choice you used to be able to get ginger jubes from woollies or crystallized ginger works fine as well. On one trip crossing the ditch on the way back to Melbourne on old aunty Dawn it got a bit messy, mind you they had a French night that night with frog legs and snails on the menu. There were passengers chucking up left right and center, us we got stuck into the ginger and although we felt just a touch a queasy, we were fine. We always carry a bag or two whenever we cruise. 🤠

• Like 1

I get violently seasick.  I use the patch. Change it/alternate sides every 3 days.   Couple that with green apples......our Oceania crew swears by this.  Just a plain green apple

In USA, we were prescribed with Scopolamine Transdermal patch when cruise ship crosspassed Hurricane Sandy out of New York 10 years ago.  Slept through overnight without feeling anything while the wave hit Lido deck, drawers and cabinet doors sliding/banging, and many fellow cruisers and crews reported sever sickness afterwards.

Edited by shuyak

22 hours ago, Galesa said:

About to depart Saturday on a Pacific cruise on Majestic Princess and; even if diverted from current storms, could end up with some heavy seas....and we're right at the back.

TIA

Whiskey.............may not actually help with the seasickness but drink enough of it and it'll give you another reason to feel crook.

• Haha 3

22 hours ago, andlep said:

Also works well for mal-disembarkment syndrome. 

This is what I get. I don't get sea sick. I take stemitil.  It's a dizziness thing for me, not a chucky one. 

Graphic detail. If you are being very ill, then try eating/drinking something directly after a bout. This prevents the awfulness of dry retching. You might actually keep something down. And stay near the loo, or have a container. 

And yes, green apples. When they appear in public eating areas then heavy seas predicted. Even before the bags show up. 

Edited by Pushka

I think it was Adam Hills who suggested eating a whole packet of Tim-Tam if you were going on a bender. He said that it wouldn’t prevent a hangover but at least every time he threw up he tasted Tim-Tams. 
Perhaps it might work for sea sickness too?

• Haha 6

8 hours ago, NSWP said:

Phenergan tablets from chemist. Ships docs will often give you Phenergan jabs for sea sickness.🤢

Doctor Chili prescribes a couple of cougars, the last thing on your mind will be sea sickness.

image.jpeg.fb3b9c707e215d31d45c6cb7adab5603.jpeg

Edited by Chiliburn
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Sparky74 said:

I think it was Adam Hills who suggested eating a whole packet of Tim-Tam if you were going on a bender. He said that it wouldn’t prevent a hangover but at least every time he threw up he tasted Tim-Tams. 
Perhaps it might work for sea sickness too?

It makes sense. For anyone with a belly full of preventative ginger, if it backfires it is horrible. Throw in some skittles for colour.

• Haha 2

I use the Herbal (ginger) Trava Calm ... other seasickness medications knock me out & unfortunately I'm allergic to Stemetil if I do get nauseous.  The ginger Trava Calm  has had varying degrees of  success.  I also try ginger & lemongrass tea.  Seabands didn't work for me, though I'll probably give them another go crossing the ditch in February '24.

Travacalm Travel Sickness Ginger 10 Tablets

On 2/9/2023 at 2:46 PM, Galesa said:

TIA

None of the suggestions above ever did anything for my severe seasickness. Finally found a cure whch worked in the southern ocean south of NZ on a small ship - Scopoderm Hyoscine (patch) | Health Navigator NZ - its a patch that lasts 3 days - it actually means I can cruise in places where I'd never go previously - game changer . Its over the counter in NZ but I know in the US its prescription only 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lissie said:

None of the suggestions above ever did anything for my severe seasickness. Finally found a cure whch worked in the southern ocean south of NZ on a small ship - Scopoderm Hyoscine (patch) | Health Navigator NZ - its a patch that lasts 3 days - it actually means I can cruise in places where I'd never go previously - game changer . Its over the counter in NZ but I know in the US its prescription only 

It is also not for sale in Australia at all.

• Like 1

Another vote for Meclazine (buy online from the US too).

Start night before cruise and take 1 every night there on regardless - there is usually no warning of rough weather and depending on level of symptoms (I'm up there with lissie, get seasick on a wooden bridge) these keep me upright.

Rose

1 hour ago, Womble99 said:

100% guaranteed prevention is only found by remaining on land 🤷‍♂️ since that isn't an option I would also recommend the Meclazine it has worked very well for my family

Not at all - I've been very ill on buses from time-to-time - and in cars I sometimes have to take over the driving to stop it 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, lissie said:

Not at all - I've been very ill on buses from time-to-time - and in cars I sometimes have to take over the driving to stop it 

Ah true, though you weren't sea sick on those occasions 😉 The OP was after methods of avoiding sea sickness

13 minutes ago, Womble99 said:

Ah true, though you weren't sea sick on those occasions 😉 The OP was after methods of avoiding sea sickness

It doesn't matter which you have sea, plane or car sickness, they are all motion sickness and are treated the same way. I can suffer from all three and use phenergan to prevent. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Womble99 said:

Its all motion sickness - same cause - same solutions - I'd be ok on a ship if they'd let me drive! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2