Are collared shirts required in MDR?

pittnh

9 hours ago, pittnh said:

I have some nice light weight sweaters I'd like to wear for dinner (not formal night), will I get sent back with them on since they don't have a collar?  

Shorts are welcome in the MDR on all nights including “formal” night. You will be more dressed up than others. 

This was the MDR on Formal Night on the Wonder. 
821DF92E-405C-4DE6-9D99-09E3B9F67031.png.a931066811c7c58d85295f407ec26d99.png

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Anything but bathing suits

We saw a man (very obviously American) in a tank top and swimming trunks at the Allure MDR in 2019. His wife/girlfriend was equally decked out in a swimsuit and a transparent coverup.

RCI definitely enforced the dress code a lot better in 2009 on our first cruise: our friend wasn't allowed into the MDR in cargo shorts.

We dress a bit more casually now (DH got a rental tux on his first cruise because we didn't know that they were not required), but still look nice in business casual attire.

17 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Anything but bathing suits

And bare feet. 

I once tried to go from the pool to the Windjammer just for a glass of water, and I was turned away -- but the Windjammer greeter brought me a glass of water.  I haven't been so careless since.  

8 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Shorts are welcome in the MDR on all nights including “formal” night. You will be more dressed up than others. 

This was the MDR on Formal Night on the Wonder. 
821DF92E-405C-4DE6-9D99-09E3B9F67031.png.a931066811c7c58d85295f407ec26d99.png

I don't doubt this picture is real, but it's not a realistic depiction of average cruisers on Formal Night.  Reading this board, you could get the idea that everyone's wearing shorts, athleti-leisure and ball caps on Formal Night; the reality is that I was kinda surprised that about 1/3 of the people still really dress up. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mum2Mercury said:

And bare feet. 

I once tried to go from the pool to the Windjammer just for a glass of water, and I was turned away -- but the Windjammer greeter brought me a glass of water.  I haven't been so careless since.  

I don't doubt this picture is real, but it's not a realistic depiction of average cruisers on Formal Night.  Reading this board, you could get the idea that everyone's wearing shorts, athleti-leisure and ball caps on Formal Night; the reality is that I was kinda surprised that about 1/3 of the people still really dress up. 

Agreed. I’m sure the picture was taken because it was so unusual. Some cruisers just don’t pay attention to dress attire for the particular nights. That picture sets a pretty low bar, but we all have seen it once in a while in the MDR.

On 2/8/2023 at 11:08 PM, pittnh said:

I have some nice light weight sweaters I'd like to wear for dinner (not formal night), will I get sent back with them on since they don't have a collar?  

They would be absolutely fine on formal nights.

• Like 1