Lost Luggage

rmalbers

My wife was talking to a woman from Canada who didn't get her luggage (airline) until day 7 of the 10 day cruise.  Would that be bad or what!  But why I wanted to post this:  When luggage is lost one of the things that they want is a very accurate description of each bag so the key is to take several pictures of all your luggage from different angles showing tags, brand, etc.  Maybe most everyone already does this, I'm not sure, but just putting this out there.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

I’ve never taken pictures of my luggage but will do so moving forward. It would be very difficult to be without my luggage for that long. How terrible!  I hope the lady had enough in her carry on to fill in a few gaps. Another good reason to arrive a day or two ahead of embarkation so at least there’s a little time to pick up a few things before sail away. 

A photo is a great help.  Travelers may also want to add a ribbon, a brightly colored puffball, or a distinctive luggage strap to help identify their luggage (especially if it a standard black suitcase that looks like ever other suitcase).

Make sure your name/address/phone/email is also inside the suitcase.  You may want to add the date of your trip, and cruise line, or hotel, vacation rental.

Edited by Ferry_Watcher

Some time ago I bought a set of bright highway orange colored luggage. Easy to spot anywhere.

However, I've started to notice more brightly colored luggage of late...so I did indeed add a luggage strap that was just a horrible mismatch with orange...a shade of chartreuse...lol...can't miss it...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, rmalbers said:

My wife was talking to a woman from Canada who didn't get her luggage (airline) until day 7 of the 10 day cruise.  Would that be bad or what!  But why I wanted to post this:  When luggage is lost one of the things that they want is a very accurate description of each bag so the key is to take several pictures of all your luggage from different angles showing tags, brand, etc.  Maybe most everyone already does this, I'm not sure, but just putting this out there.   

I would guess that the biggest part of the delay was the logistics of getting the bags to where the ship was going to be.

The two times mine have been misplaced all they really wanted was color, brand, size and the numbers off the claim stub.  Fortunately, both times were on the way home.

2 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

People are now having luck with AirTags (Apple) or tile trackers for other smartphone users.  EM

Yep - we have the Samsung Smart Tags - one in each piece of luggage, purse, knapsack, etc. So far have never had to use them but it is a comforting to board the plane and see that the luggage is also on the plane and also know that's it's off the plane and waiting to go on baggage claim.

We unhappily landed in Fort Lauderdale a few years ago now with 1/3 of our luggage after flight cancellations and last minute changes owing to weather conditions.

The positives were we had……

Flown in two days prior to our cruise…

We had split the luggage as we always do for the three of us into the three suitcases so each of us had our travel outfits plus one swimwear plus 2 x undies plus a couple of T shirt/shorts outfits plus a few more bits…Sadly no cosmetics or chic night wear although our travel outfits would class as smart casual.

Had travel insurance so we could buy additional clothing without worrying about cost for our cruise day 2 (at no real cost to us) so if our luggage didn’t appear on the last morning before our cruise we would still board with enough clothes, cosmetics etc to be comfortable.

As it worked out our luggage did arrive, literally at the last minute…My posh frock is evidence that arriving to the port minus luggage doesn’t mean you need to board without having what you need…

For those who don’t understand the ‘posh frock’ reference you haven’t been following CC long enough….

Quite simply, luggage loss is unfortunately a hazard one needs to plan for….For us the split of clothing between the three cases was the biggest gain and cost nothing…Much as it may be easier to pack his and hers cases if only one case arrives???

Edited by chemmo
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, rmalbers said:

Was it Air Canada? lol

I know someone who flew back to Toronto end of last week and stuck on the plane for over an hour after landing due to lack of staff.

I'm trying to plan enough time connecting flights but only so much can control there. Also putting a few days of clothing into carry on so I can at least have something to wear.

I never thought of pictures because my bag is pink with white polka dots but think I'll take pictures now

Edited by Lena11033

19 hours ago, rmalbers said:

Last cruise on Summit (2022) my early morning nonstop flight was delayed to MIA/canceled  and  arrival at MIA was not until late evening. Checked bag. So glad my flight was a day early. Nothing in carry on so hotel provided amenities and bought at the hotel store XL T-shirt for nightshirt and same clothes next morning. Luggage arrived at hotel about 2 hours before departure time, so I was able to board ship with my luggage. 

Booked for cruise in April 2023. I have learnt my lesson well. I am traveling solo, so will only be taking a carry on - no checked baggage this time, no way no how. I am going to watch my bag like a hawk and if I could hug it in overhead bin all the way to MIA I would do so just for peace of mind. I am hoping I do not have to "gate check" my carry on, because I would lose sight of it.