Food and Wine Pairing Workshop

dogsdogs

8 minutes ago, dogsdogs said:

Has anyone done this lately?  Is it worthwhile?  I tried to do a search with no luck.

I did this last month on the Equinox. I know very little about wine in general. I found the workshop to be fun and informative. I would recommend it...even for the more experienced folks...   

They set you up with 5 wines and various items to sample with the wines...

IMG_20230119_122517308_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230119_122519911_HDR.jpg

Edited by dlh015
  • Like 2

for me it has been a bit hit and miss, it will really depend on the person leading it as to the quality of the experience.    but no matter what you get to try some good wine and some food samples in a very nice setting as usually it is in one of the restaurants that I never go to.

• Like 2

I am no wine expert--I just thought it would be a nice activity.  I did it on a Holland America cruise once, but it was small bite appetizers with wine in the Pinnacle Grill.  It was more expensive than this one and that was quite a few years ago.  X also offers another tasting called "The World Wine Tour".  I wonder how that one compares?

6 minutes ago, dogsdogs said:

I am no wine expert--I just thought it would be a nice activity.  I did it on a Holland America cruise once, but it was small bite appetizers with wine in the Pinnacle Grill.  It was more expensive than this one and that was quite a few years ago.  X also offers another tasting called "The World Wine Tour".  I wonder how that one compares?

When I last did "The World Wine Tour" it was about five or six table tops in Cellar Masters where "sommeliers" from various restaurants on the ship each had a country and were offering tastings of red and white wines from that country. IIRC France, Italy, Australia, USA, and South America were the countries at ours.  The sommeliers would describe the region, wine, and tasting notes for each.  They had a table with buckets where you could dispose of you unwanted wine and also had pictures of cold water there to cleanse your palate between each wine if you so desired. 

I liked it and it was well attended but not sure I would do it again.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

When I last did "The World Wine Tour" it was about five or six table tops in Cellar Masters where "sommeliers" from various restaurants on the ship each had a country and were offering tastings of red and white wines from that country. IIRC France, Italy, Australia, USA, and South America were the countries at ours.  The sommeliers would describe the region, wine, and tasting notes for each.  They had a table with buckets where you could dispose of you unwanted wine and also had pictures of cold water there to cleanse your palate between each wine if you so desired. 

I liked it and it was well attended but not sure I would do it again.  

That one is good & well worth it, the other isn’t that great

2 minutes ago, awhfy said:

That one is good & well worth it, the other isn’t that great

You certainly get a lot of information and I was able to ask for a second tasting on the World Wine Tour.  It's being offered on our Millennium April cruise but I have not signed up yet.  I usually wait until we are onboard for this one and sign up with the Sommelier in Luminae.  It's my understanding they get the gratuties, or a part of them, if you go through them on the ship.  

On 2/14/2023 at 6:37 PM, Cruisedreamer1 said:

are you able to ask for more wine if you find one you like?

There were quite a few settings for people who did not show up or hopeful last-minute add-ons.    The sommelier told us to go ahead and drink the "extra" wine.   They would throw it out anyway.

Edited by AnnaNicole
  • Like 2

Thanks for your input--I am thinking about switching to the World Wine Tour instead of the pairing.

The elite tasting has been on the last sea day of the cruise on the last three X cruises I have been on.  It was at 11:00am each time in the dining room.  The only notice you get is a Captain's Club listing of activities in your cabin when you board.  They like for you to RSVP too, but they seem to always have room if you forget.

• 10 months later...

I've done both world wine tour and food and wine pairing on various ships.  We enjoy both.  Food and wine can vary depending on who is leading it.  It is more of a structured tasting.    World wine tour is set up in different stations with regions and each has a sommelier to serve/talk about the wines with you.  You walk around and try the wines you want.  There will be some food to try if you want.

I prefer world wine tour.

If you watch the "sales" you can book for a really good price.  We booked world wine tour for $28 each for an upcoming 12 night cruise.

• 1 month later...
10 hours ago, GatorMomInNC said:

Do you have any say over the time?  When I go to book it doesn't tell me when I can do it.  I don't want it to be booked at a time we have something else we really want to do...

No, I just did this on Constellation and was provided onboard with day and time it would take place

• Thanks 1

The best wine experience I've had on Celebrity was a World Wine Tour when they had it up on the lawn (Solstice class) on a beautiful day, were getting $20 per person, and the wines were well selected to represent their regions. That was then.

Lately, we've been more and more disappointed. They were held in what used to be Cellar Masters (Craft Social), charging about $40 each, and the wines were from the region but more grocery store wines.