The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday February 20th, 2023

StLouisCruisers

33 minutes ago, bennybear said:

@Vict0riann follow your gut, I had an atypical femoral stress fracture from Fosamax,  several doctors tried to minimize but finally an orthopedic surgeon diagnosed it.  I am much better without, but the endocrinologist wants me on Prolia because he says there’s less risk,  I have declined so far as my density is better.  I strongly recommend hiking poles, my physio thinks they have helped. 

My aunt also had a fracture on Fosamax, it took a special x-ray to find it, in the meantime her doctor told her it was all in her mind!   I took Fosamax for 3 x 5 years, so about 18 years in all, and then 5 years of Prolia, 2 years off and now 3 1/2 years of the shots.  I'm fed up with the whole thing!  I do want the doctor to approve of my decision, though, so I've been going through my records and will try to confound him with logic!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

Heartly agree with posting prayers for President Jimmy Carter, a true humanitarian.

My parents went to see and hear him in Plains many years ago, and I only wish I had done the same.  

For those who knew Gene Young, a world cruise CD many times, please see Copper's post on todays other news. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Thanks to all for the welcome back messages.  I appreciate you all!  After shopping and lunch we went outdoors to trim some ornamental grasses before the spring growing season.  Their location at the top of the slope out back made it a little dangerous so I'm glad that's done.  I've been checking in during the day but didn't get to comment so here we go!  

Nancy @ottahand7I'm sorry to hear Santos was so dirty.  Like Lenda said when we went there in 2015 (Ruby Princess) it was pretty nice.  But I'm aware things can change in a short period of time.  Our first time in Montevideo in 2012 was very disappointing due to dog waste all over the city sidewalks.  It was awful!  In 2015 it was very nice and we wondered if they had passed a law mandating you clean up after your dog.  Or maybe they rounded up the stray dog population and put them up for adoption so owners would take care of the problem.  I hope you enjoy Salvadore de Bahia.  I know we did!  Great news your house is safe from damage after the late delivery truck escapade.  You must have caring neighbors watching out.  

Maureen @RMLincolnwhat a relief your son's passport came on time.  I was worried about the fact today is a USPS holiday so fewer delivery days left.  Whew!  You will be so happy you are taking a family cruise!  We had a fantastic time with our family in 2019.  The grands are getting so much older and have changes in their lives coming up that will make it much harder for us to get together.  Enjoy!!

Jacqui @kazuI sure hope that icy weather isn't returning!  Enough is enough!  Hopefully you get through all the paperwork necessary for your claim.  And the memes were great as usual.  Bruce @aliaschief your memes were so funny, too.  Love them all.

Debbie @dfishit's great to hear how happy you are back in your hometown.  It's a great place to live (if you don't mind a little snow!  lol!).  I hope the weather people are way off on this week's forecast.  When we moved there in the 1970's I was amazed there was snow on the ground from November to March or April.  It just kept piling up.  Back in Missouri we had snows and sometimes BIG snows but it always melted soon after.  It was quite a shock.  Is it still that way?

Vanessa @JazzyVI'm sorry to hear about BFF's uncle nearing the end.  Prayers for him and the family.  And great job on the lists as usual.  We all appreciate your hard work on them.  Hope the doctor appointment went okay.

Terri @Cruzin TerriI hope the drive was okay today.  And when you got home you found your bathroom work completed and to your satisfaction.  Now you can finish up your unpacking work.  We want photos!

Gerry @ger_77did you find a computer yet?  Not a fun chore, or at least to me.  In the meantime clean up the cookies, etc.  It worked for me, and my thanks for that go to my DH!

Laura @TiogaCruiserthat's a nice use of HAL tiles.  Very clever!  And good luck on the event planning.

Annie @marshhawkyou did a very good job planning for your stay in Vancouver.  It's a beautiful city.  We enjoyed a walk in Stanley Park so if you have time maybe think about that.  It does sound like you might have everything booked up though.  I know you'll have fun!

Graham @grapau27 my thoughts go out to Pauline today on what would have been her late Dad's 96th birthday.  I'm sure she misses him immensely.

Lenda @Quartzsite CruiserFour times to Ijmuiden!  Not like four times in Sydney, is it?  But you made the best of it fortunately.  Looks like you found some interesting places to head out to on your turnaround days.  Thanks for the photos.  It's a beautiful country and makes me proud to have Dutch ancestry.

@erewhonit's my pleasure to post the Holland America Line ship locations for you.  I hope your family is doing well.  The loss of life from New Zealand is simply staggering.  Prayers for the families and friends of the many, many affected.

Lorraine @cruising sisterI hope you are feeling better every day.

Joy @Seasick Sailorhope all is well on your cruise!  You asked what our favorite thing about our Sky Princess cruise was.  It's hard to say one thing.  DH and I were stunned to see a special crew member from our 2017 Sun Princess B2B2B2B cruise Down Under.  He walked by our table at lunch in the main dining room and I recognized him.  When he turned around and came back by DH stopped him and he recognized us, too!  Ernesto!  He was so nice getting DH his special iced coffee at breakfast every morning because only one person on Sun Princess seemed to make them just as he liked.  We also had a great cabin stewardess this trip, Maricris.  The food with one exception was very good (didn't like the pot roast).  The buffet had lots to choose from.  Cons were the ship was too large and crowded.  The itinerary wasn't much of a factor since we didn't take the cruise to get away from winter.  We like colder climate cruises!  We also liked all the special loyalty events Princess has gotten back to.  I hope you have as great a time as we had last week, on Koningsdam.  Enjoy the South Pacific!

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

Heartly agree with posting prayers for President Jimmy Carter, a true humanitarian.

My parents went to see and hear him in Plains many years ago, and I only wish I had done the same.  

For those who knew Gene Young, a world cruise CD many times, please see Copper's post on todays other news. 

Where do I find "todays other news"?  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Debbie @dfishit's great to hear how happy you are back in your hometown.  It's a great place to live (if you don't mind a little snow!  lol!).  I hope the weather people are way off on this week's forecast.  When we moved there in the 1970's I was amazed there was snow on the ground from November to March or April.  It just kept piling up.  Back in Missouri we had snows and sometimes BIG snows but it always melted soon after.  It was quite a shock.  Is it still that way?

I remember when the snow stuck for a long time as well.  This winter it has been too warm for that to happen.  Storms like the one we are supposed to have were pretty common years ago.  You have to remember that Michigan is surrounded by water on three sides.  No place to escape the lake effect snows.  So far this winter it snows and then melts.  It snows and then melts.  We'll see how long this next one sticks around.  Last week's snowfall is almost all melted.  Just the snow piles from the snow plow left. 

Now, I do remember one Christmas in the late 70s or early 80s when it was 70 degrees out. That was not normal.  Every once in a while we'd get a day like that in the middle of winter.  

It is a shame that it has been this warm.  The toboggan run at City Forest hasn't opened up yet.  They have only been able to hold one snowshoe hike at the Nature Center.  And the cardboard box sled races were cancelled.  Frankenmuth had to cancel some of their snow festival activities because they were lacking snow!  

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Crazy For Cats said:

I thought that this was everyday.

image.png.f127c274a9d3c190b3c47e83b5aba404.png

You are not alone - I did too 😉 

I didn’t realize the news of Gene Young’s passing was now on the boards. I was saddened to hear it.  Haven’t been on a Grand but we had the benefit of having him one cruise and he seemed to enjoy his job and life so much at the time.  A sad reminder that how people appear is not always how they really feel.  Depression is so cruel and he was far too young to leave.  Prayers for Gene Young 🙏🏻 May he Rest in Peace.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, dfish said:

I remember when the snow stuck for a long time as well.  This winter it has been too warm for that to happen.  Storms like the one we are supposed to have were pretty common years ago.  You have to remember that Michigan is surrounded by water on three sides.  No place to escape the lake effect snows.  So far this winter it snows and then melts.  It snows and then melts.  We'll see how long this next one sticks around.  Last week's snowfall is almost all melted.  Just the snow piles from the snow plow left. 

Now, I do remember one Christmas in the late 70s or early 80s when it was 70 degrees out. That was not normal.  Every once in a while we'd get a day like that in the middle of winter.  

It is a shame that it has been this warm.  The toboggan run at City Forest hasn't opened up yet.  They have only been able to hold one snowshoe hike at the Nature Center.  And the cardboard box sled races were cancelled.  Frankenmuth had to cancel some of their snow festival activities because they were lacking snow!  

We may have missed that 70 degree Christmas because I don't remember anything like that.  We departed the state of Michigan in September 1979.  There was never a lack of snow during the winters we lived there (1973 to 1979).  The City Forest had plenty of snow, and the ice skating rink out there was frozen solid when we went out there.  

• Like 11

Well, this is the sorry story.

We had FIVE different delays on I-95 today.  So all in all it took about 1 1/2 hours longer than anticipated.  We were expecting to get home about 2 pm.  Instead we arrived at 3:30.  Just more traffic than we ever though we would encounter.

And then the major disappointment.  The bathroom is not finished.  it is requiring more work than anticipated and will require about another 2 weeks at least.  i can’t believe it.  Anyway, if you want pictures I can send some but they are not pretty. 

I did all the driving today and am exhausted.  So i am sitting in front of the TV for a while.  Jim and I are now sleeping in two separate bedrooms until the bathroom is finished.  Too much dust in the MBR for now.

Anyway, this too shall pass.

More tomorrow.

Good night and God Bless,

Terri

• Like 3
  • Thanks 9

3 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

We had FIVE different delays on I-95 today.  So all in all it took about 1 1/2 hours longer than anticipated.  We were expecting to get home about 2 pm.  Instead we arrived at 3:30.  Just more traffic than we ever though we would encounter.

And then the major disappointment.  The bathroom is not finished.  it is requiring more work than anticipated and will require about another 2 weeks at least.  i can’t believe it.  Anyway, if you want pictures I can send some but they are not pretty. 

I did all the driving today and am exhausted.  So i am sitting in front of the TV for a while.  Jim and I are now sleeping in two separate bedrooms until the bathroom is finished.  Too much dust in the MBR for now.

More tomorrow.

Terri

Sorry for the bad news again, Terri.  Once this bathroom is finished you are REALLY going to appreciate the beauty of your brand spanking new bathroom.  And I can relate about 95 but we didn't have to suffer quite as long as you did.  Try to get some good sleep tonight.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Today is Washington's Birthday according to Federal legislation. I would try the birria (have eaten goat a number of times) and would definitely try the Sancerre. I haven't been to IJmuiden.

I'd be delighted with some cherry pie if the day hadn't started with fever and nausea; the fever abated but the nausea persisted. Even the amount of water needed to take prescriptions threatened to produce violent results, so I ate nothing all day. Early in the evening I felt even worse and realized that it was because my blood sugar was so low. Hard candies relieved that without making the nausea worse. I don't think it's a covid rebound--a repeat test was negative--and I'm leaning toward an old-fashioned "stomach virus."

nodollarstores.jpg.cc5efd3d4d7460641ae34e26951f6bf3.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Lenda @Quartzsite CruiserFour times to Ijmuiden!  Not like four times in Sydney, is it?  But you made the best of it fortunately.  Looks like you found some interesting places to head out to on your turnaround days.  Thanks for the photos.  It's a beautiful country and makes me proud to have Dutch ancestry.

Sandi, we were relieved the next year to find Prinsendam back in Amsterdam.  However, docking in IJmuiden gave us a chance to see part of The Netherlands we would not have seen otherwise.

30 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

We’ll, they are certainly working at Holland America today-I emailed my proof of stock ownership and got the OBC credit back in 10 minutes!

Ann , that was quick!

31 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

More tomorrow.

Terri

Terri, I'm sorry about the traffic delays, but glad you arrived home safely.  I'm doubly sorry your bathroom isn't finished.  I'm sure in the end, it will be worth the wait.

3 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

Today is Washington's Birthday according to Federal legislation. I would try the birria (have eaten goat a number of times) and would definitely try the Sancerre. I haven't been to IJmuiden.

I'd be delighted with some cherry pie if the day hadn't started with fever and nausea; the fever abated but the nausea persisted. Even the amount of water needed to take prescriptions threatened to produce violent results, so I ate nothing all day. Early in the evening I felt even worse and realized that it was because my blood sugar was so low. Hard candies relieved that without making the nausea worse. I don't think it's a covid rebound--a repeat test was negative--and I'm leaning toward an old-fashioned "stomach virus."

nodollarstores.jpg.cc5efd3d4d7460641ae34e26951f6bf3.jpg

Paul, I hope you feel better in the morning.

Lenda

• Like 7

1 hour ago, kazu said:

You are not alone - I did too 😉 

I didn’t realize the news of Gene Young’s passing was now on the boards. I was saddened to hear it.  Haven’t been on a Grand but we had the benefit of having him one cruise and he seemed to enjoy his job and life so much at the time.  A sad reminder that how people appear is not always how they really feel.  Depression is so cruel and he was far too young to leave.  Prayers for Gene Young 🙏🏻 May he Rest in Peace.

It has been on several of the other boards for a few days now. So very sad. I only had him as CD on one cruise, but remember him fondly. Prayers for him and for his family and close friends.

• Like 9

Finally a chance today to make a brief post.

Thanks to all who have posted today.

Wonderful to have some rain, it's been very dry here.

@RMLincoln   Bon Voyage.  have a fabulous family cruise.

@Cruzin Terri  sorry that your bathroom is not completed, and that you had a slow drive home.

The number of people unacounted for after Cyclone Gabrielle is now 1131.

Thousands of people remain without electricity in the affected areas.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 9

Good morning all,

How horrible the loss of life is with our recent natural disasters! Prayers to all. Hopefully help will make things a bit easier. 

Roy I know how worrisome it is not to have a good nights sleep. My DH always struggled when he felt he wasn’t sleeping well. Me,I haven’t sleep well since medical school then the nasty “women of your age” hit me. I am sure I have lost years off my life due to insufficient sleep. Sometimes it takes a mild sleep aid for a short time to break the pattern. Please ask your doctor what they think. 

I broke down and hired someone to come clean for me. I am stressing my right hand that has the same problem. I am hoping to put off or hopefully not need surgery in the future. I had someone for years but since retirement I have been doing it on my own. 

Fat Tuesday came fast. I will need to take advantage of some treats today. 

Have a great day everyone. 

• Like 1