Diamond Lounge and Concierge Questions

danny8826

I believe the dress code is exactly the same as the main dining rooms at this point-no swimwear, but just about anything else goes. There are still may peeps there though, that will give you the disapproving look if men wear shorts and almost always if a kid is spotted…just, FYI. Quite a few old school DL ridiculous snobbery still abounds. Last year, my 16 year old son, who by his own right is Diamond (but D+ because of me), came in to get some evening apps. We were already in there having a drink. He not only got disapproving looks, but some man actually said to him,” I thought only D+ and Pinns are allowed in here.” My son said to him, “Diamond members are also allowed, but I am D+, Bro!” 😂 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, zanydoc said:

I believe the dress code is exactly the same as the main dining rooms at this point-no swimwear, but just about anything else goes. There are still may peeps there though, that will give you the disapproving look if men wear shorts and almost always if a kid is spotted…just, FYI. Quite a few old school DL ridiculous snobbery still abounds. Last year, my 16 year old son, who by his own right is Diamond (but D+ because of me), came in to get some evening apps. We were already in there having a drink. He not only got disapproving looks, but some man actually said to him,” I thought only D+ and Pinns are allowed in here.” My son said to him, “Diamond members are also allowed, but I am D+, Bro!” 😂 

My teens were treated in a similar manner last year on Mariner. They walked in on their own, we were already there, and an older woman nearly stopped them at the door and told her they weren’t allowed in. My kids said they were D+ (own right) and pointed to us. I just waived and told my son he was free to grab his snacks. I swear people need to mind their own business. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, RoperDK said:

Are you discouraged from taking a morning or evening plate of goodies out of the lounge to eat? 

No. Depending on time of the day/ship in the afternoon you'd have to since there's nowhere to sit.

Edited by Biker19
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, zanydoc said:

Good for him.  If I were the parent, I would have said to that person, you are not the only who is D or D+

I hated those snobbish type of people.  

In those type of places, I always have my guard up so watch what you say.

I'll bet you they will say something to me too if I walk in.  I am 50, but I look like I am in my late 20's.  They probably said I am too young to have D status.

When I travel with my friend who is 56, people think he's my dad.

Edited by danny8826
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, twinmommy08 said:

My teens were treated in a similar manner last year on Mariner. They walked in on their own, we were already there, and an older woman nearly stopped them at the door and told her they weren’t allowed in. My kids said they were D+ (own right) and pointed to us. I just waived and told my son he was free to grab his snacks. I swear people need to mind their own business. 

I will play devil's advocate here.  

There is actually no way that anyone would know their parents were in there already, but luckily they pointed you out.  It is marked clearly on the rules that no children without their parents during happy hour...so if you did not all show up together, you can't blame the concierge for questioning it.  

14 hours ago, zanydoc said:

And the same situation for you.  

No way to know, unless you all walk in together.  

13 hours ago, RoperDK said:

We are new to using the diamond lounge.  Are you discouraged from taking a morning or evening plate of goodies out of the lounge to eat?   

Technically yes, and will usually be posted above the snacks.  "No food or beverage allowed out of the lounge".....but that has gone the way of the dressy dress code....is pretty much ignored. 

No worries, and I take coffee out every morning.  🙂 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, danny8826 said:

Good for him.  If I were the parent, I would have said to that person, you are not the only who is D or D+

I hated those snobbish type of people.  

In those type of places, I always have my guard up so watch what you say.

I'll bet you they will say something to me too if I walk in.  I am 50, but I look like I am in my late 20's.  They probably said I am too young to have D status.

When I travel with my friend who is 56, people think he's my dad.

Nice!  I bet you get carded as well at liquor stores!  😉 😄  

One thing about the keyed entry lounges....if belong...your key will work.  If not....it won't.  But there are still some that "sneak" in behind someone.  The concierge usually figures it out.  

Was more of a problem when the drinks were free flowing during happy hour in the DL.  Now...you have to use your vouchers.  If you present your card and it does not have vouchers, or more obviously does not say Diamond or above, you get the boot.  

Edited by island lady
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, island lady said:

I will play devil's advocate here.  

There is actually no way that anyone would know their parents were in there already, but luckily they pointed you out.  It is marked clearly on the rules that no children without their parents during happy hour...so if you did not all show up together, you can't blame the concierge for questioning it.  

I get that. However, It wasn’t the concierge, it was a fellow passenger. 

We just got off an B2B for a total of 11 nights on Navigator of the Seas.  One of my favorite perks is the specialty coffee machines in the lounge.  We were D+ in a suite.  Went straight to Diamond Lounge upon boarding for a coffee.  Coffee machine broken and Concierge not sure it would be fixed during entire cruise. It was not.  Not happy but decided to use the Suite Lounge which was at the opposite end of the ship from our stateroom. That worked out until that machine stop working as well.  They tried to fix but not able.  I ended up using my drink vouchers for coffee at the Promenade Cafe. Luckily we are not big drinkers so always vouchers to use.

We did use the suite lounge for quite time and evening cocktails.  We were stunned at ladies coming in with only their bathing suits on getting drinks and snacks and then sitting down.  Then there was the lady and her son (about 11) who came in again in only their bathing suits getting snacks and drinks.  Next time they came in their bathrobes.  That continued the whole cruise.  The Concierge chatted and laughed with them but nothing about what they were wearing. 

Now all this being said we had a good cruise and what other people wear doesn't really bother me but this did seem a bit over the line.  I kept my mouth shut and ordered another cocktail.  lol

2 hours ago, imola said:

We just got off an B2B for a total of 11 nights on Navigator of the Seas.  One of my favorite perks is the specialty coffee machines in the lounge.  We were D+ in a suite.  Went straight to Diamond Lounge upon boarding for a coffee.  Coffee machine broken and Concierge not sure it would be fixed during entire cruise. It was not.  Not happy but decided to use the Suite Lounge which was at the opposite end of the ship from our stateroom. That worked out until that machine stop working as well.  They tried to fix but not able.  I ended up using my drink vouchers for coffee at the Promenade Cafe. Luckily we are not big drinkers so always vouchers to use.

We did use the suite lounge for quite time and evening cocktails.  We were stunned at ladies coming in with only their bathing suits on getting drinks and snacks and then sitting down.  Then there was the lady and her son (about 11) who came in again in only their bathing suits getting snacks and drinks.  Next time they came in their bathrobes.  That continued the whole cruise.  The Concierge chatted and laughed with them but nothing about what they were wearing. 

Now all this being said we had a good cruise and what other people wear doesn't really bother me but this did seem a bit over the line.  I kept my mouth shut and ordered another cocktail.  lol

Didn’t you get free coffees at Promenade Cafe if the lounge machines were broken? We have never had to use our vouchers.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, imola said:

I really don't believe they were wearing bathing suits around on Navigator recently. It has been freezing cold, with snow and rain. Nice story, but my apologies, I don't really buy it. Bathrobes, maybe. But not bathing suits. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Coralc said:

I really don't believe they were wearing bathing suits around on Navigator recently. It has been freezing cold, with snow and rain. Nice story, but my apologies, I don't really buy it. Bathrobes, maybe. But not bathing suits. 

I have no idea what did or did not happen on the Navigator recently, but years ago, on the Allure, suite guests constantly came into the Concierge Lounge in their bathing suits and flip flops, kids climbed on the tables, touched all the food..............and the Concierges said nothing.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, steveru621 said:

With upwards of 500 D, D+, sometimes Pinnacles, it is very difficult to talk with the concierge.

Allure my first week last dec there were a lot who had been on for weeks so maybe not typical, but we had closer to 500 diamonds, 500 diamond plus and around 183 pinnacles. Over 1k.

• Like 1

On 2/25/2023 at 9:32 AM, zanydoc said:

I get that. However, It wasn’t the concierge, it was a fellow passenger. 

Same for both...though I totally agree...that pax had no right to say something to your kids.  If she would have waited she would have noticed them joining you.  Or at the very least, say something to the concierge...not your kids. 

Once again, another reason we don't go into the DL for happy hour.  Don't like the attitude.  

12 hours ago, twinmommy08 said:

I wasn’t. The concierge knew my children. The woman who blocked them was another passenger not minding her own business. 

Agree...if that pax felt the need to say something...it should have been to the concierge...not your kids.  

This April we will be on the Odyssey doing the Transatlantic crossing.  We will report back if there are something happen at the DL lounge.

We love specialty coffee so we will definitely go in the lounge at least during the day to grab coffee.

Hopefully with a 14 days crossing, there won't be kids onboard jumping around.

On 2/26/2023 at 9:55 AM, island lady said:

We haven't had any trouble at all with the CL concierge on Jewel, or the SL concierge on Voyager.  

I agree.  I guess I wasn't clear that I was referring to the Diamond Club concierge.

On 2/26/2023 at 11:57 AM, danny8826 said:

This April we will be on the Odyssey doing the Transatlantic crossing.  We will report back if there are something happen at the DL lounge.

We love specialty coffee so we will definitely go in the lounge at least during the day to grab coffee.

Hopefully with a 14 days crossing, there won't be kids onboard jumping around.

Typical TA sailing has a dozen or so kids under 16.

8 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

Typical TA sailing has a dozen or so kids under 16.

A dozen I can handle.  As long as it's not like what a summer cruise with all the kids running around.