The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday February 27th, 2023

StLouisCruisers

@ger_77 DH pointed out something important- did you transfer old files from your old computer? If so, the .pst file you want will hopefully be among them. If not, can you still get in to the old computer and find the.pst file? You will need to copy it onto your new computer and then hook up the old .pst to your new outlook installation.  It sounds like your new outlook created a new.pst to store its files in.

( sorry- I didn’t think that one through. My last several installations have been upgrades and not new system installations.)

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Safety Squirrel said:

I have been following the Daily before it was "the Daily".  I usually just read and do not comment.  I have never cruised on a Holland America cruise, instead mostly on Celebrity.  I read this page every day when I am home.   It is such a welcoming place and it is like knowing everyone of you.

Talking about polar bears - Churchill, Manitoba is noted for polar bears particulary in the winter.  Visitors come from all over the world.

Unfortunately it is very expensive to visit and many people living in Manitoba are not able to visit because of the cost.  However, this past July I took a seven day trip - two days on the railway both coming and going and three days in Churchill.  (you can also fly in)  Beluga whales were in season and we saw many of them.

However, on an excursion to the Prince of Wales fort which they are rebuilding, everyone had to stay in a safe place when a polar bear was sighted on the beach.  There are guards on four wheelers with guns to scare the bears away.  One of the people in my group was fortunate enough to get a picture of the polar bear before he was scared back into the water.

We did see a mother and her cub while on an other excursion; however, all tour guides keep people far away as they can run very fast.  So it was from a distance.  I hope you enjoy the pictures.

I also attached a picture of a beluga whale.  They are really difficult to get a picture as they do not breach like other whales - just come to the surface.image.jpeg.55c76092ca3feb8cc9f8b58e93a72e8b.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Welcome to the Daily, and we hope you'll join us often.  Thanks for your information and pictures from Churchill.  About 30 years ago, DH took the train from Winnipeg to Churchill just before our Thanksgiving to see the polar bears, which he did at the local dump.

3 hours ago, cruising Katie said:

As many have said before me, this is a safe and comforting place.  Thank you all for your kind words and thoughts.  Jerry was a wonderful companion, since losing my husband many years ago, he had

an interesting personality (as I believe most cats do).  I told my grandchildren that Jerry was ill and had to cross the rainbow bridge.  They insisted my son drive them over to my house, (in a snow storm) to give me a hug.  My little one, Emmett, age 5 said its ok Nana, there are lots of baby cats i can assopt?

I think he meant adopt.  Thanks again for your kindness       

Welcome to the Daily.  How sweet of your grandchildren wanting to see you and give you a hug.  And it was nice your son to drive them over.  I bet he wanted to give you a hug too.

3 hours ago, erewhon said:

It's another lovely sunny day, on this Tuesday, the last day of February. temperature 23 C.

Thanks for the Fleet locations, Noordam is in Wellington today.   Lots of news on the daily today.

@Safety Squirrel thank you for your post and photos.

@kazu  thank you for your message, today 3 people not accounted for, but maybe they do not want to be located!  

@cruising Katie  so sorry that Jerry was so ill, and crossed the Rainbow Bridge.

@rafinmd hope your visit to the podiatrist goes well.

@Cruising-along  hope your DH gets a prompt  medical appointment for his cough.

@1ANGELCAT  thank you for the beautiful flower photos.

@StLouisCruisers  and  @kazu  thank you for your Multiquoting posts today, such good examples to all of us.  Again, Thank you both.

I'm glad the number of unaccounted is down to three, and I hope they are safe.

2 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Funny comment about Sadie being a bad influence on Milo.  You could be right!  I notice many here mention decluttering and sorting through belongings.  I'm thinking we should do that too, but we must be too lazy.  I'm feeling a little guilty about that.🤔

More wonderful photos!  You two look good in Miami.  I'm just saying...

Susan, what a shame about all the avalanches there!  It must be terrifying to be in that situation.

I hope your DH can find out what's ailing him.  Good luck with that!  Your comment about double trouble reminds me of my twin and I in 5th grade.  We had the same teacher and she jokingly said we were double trouble (but we really weren't).  😄

Thanks for the photo of Blue today.  Must be good and warm there.  DD's first dog, Gracie, used to sit on the stair landing just so she could see out the transom windows over the front door.  Wouldn't want a bird/rabbit/chipmunk/dog/cat or person to walk by their house!!

Watching the launches must be so much fun.  Hope the next scheduled one goes off alright.  Good luck at the back surgeon appointment Thursday.  I hope you get to go to Norway and Iceland!

Katie, my condolences on your cat Jerry crossing the Rainbow Bridge.  I'm glad the vet let you be there for him.  Many here have experienced this and know how you feel.😥

Melisa, hope the weather warms up and melts your ice.  Some snow melting wouldn't be a bad thing either.  Take care!

You have twin sisters Jacqui?  And unexpected ones, too.  Same with my parents.  Strange how twins weren't noticed for so many people back in the day.  I'm not sure I'd be happy not knowing in advance but that's the way it was.  I'm hoping Milo can turn Sadie around, and not the other way around.

I think you made the right decision to go ahead with the cruise.  They will let you know how everything goes.  And we will have him on our prayer list.  

Really great photos!

How frustrating working on this internet problem with your provider.  I hope someone can give you some advice.

Your new steam mop sounds really cool.  Nothing worse than tile (and grout) that's looking a little shabby.  Makes you want to clean everything doesn't it?  Sort of like when you get started power washing.  I think I agree with you about double the interruptions for DSIL but you can't tell a 50 year old what to do.  They have to make their own decisions and find out for themselves.🐕🐕  Tell us what you'll be looking for in a washer / dryer.  I'm sure we will have plenty of advice. 😁

Thanks for stopping by today to talk.  We welcome everyone.  Your polar bear and beluga whale photos are wonderful.  Amazing really.

You're welcome, @erewhon.  The way you, Vanessa and Lenda do it by making notes and typing your comments seems neater but I hate taking notes.  

I hope the 3 missing people are like you said...not wanting to be located.  They might be hiding out from the tax collector or the ex-wife.  I hope that doesn't offend anyone.  Just a little joke.🙁

Sandi, I'd been thinking about getting a steam mop for a while.  Last week, I saw an article rating the ten best on Amazon.  The one I got was number 1, and also the least expensive.  We've just begun considering a new washer and dryer.  DH said something about getting ones like we have in Quartzsite, but they are 15 years old.  I know about what I want.

When I first started posting on the Daily, I took notes, but either I couldn't read my writing or remember what I meant.  Now, I multiquote, and then, make comments either using the blue bubble or multiquotes.  That eliminates going back and forth.

2 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Thank you both.  DH did see a doctor about the cough, and they did a chest x-ray and flonase etc.  When I returned home today from my Medicare Wellness Visit, he had heard back from the doctor and now has a prescription for antibiotics too.  I think that's what he needed, we shall see...

Sandi @StLouisCruiserswe were typing at the same time.  That's cute what your 5th grade teacher said about you and your twin.  I'm sure you really weren't trouble!  😄

Lenda, it's very quiet around here 🙂 DD told us she hasn't gotten much work done today (she works from home).  She sent a photo to us of both kittens on her, one draped around her shoulders, the other on her lap.  

My appointment went well, next up will be the Nephrologist on Thursday.  I have lots of questions for her.

@Safety SquirrelWelcome to the Daily!

I hope the antibiotics help your DH.  I'm glad your appointment went well.

Lenda

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, HAL Sailer said:

Noticed that @Seasick Sailor hasn't posted since the lack of electricity delayed their port stop in Lahaina. Hoping all is okay on the K...

-M.

Thank you @HAL Sailer for thinking of us.

We are in Honolulu. Was supposed to be an over night but today we were informed we would cancel Nawiliwili due to strong winds. So one more day in Honolulu.. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6

5 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

You're welcome, @erewhon.  The way you, Vanessa and Lenda do it by making notes and typing your comments seems neater but I hate taking notes.  

I hope the 3 missing people are like you said...not wanting to be located.  They might be hiding out from the tax collector or the ex-wife.  I hope that doesn't offend anyone.  Just a little joke.🙁

DH suggested that they may be on the Police 'Wanted" list.

Edited by erewhon
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Funny comment about Sadie being a bad influence on Milo.  You could be right!  I notice many here mention decluttering and sorting through belongings.  I'm thinking we should do that too, but we must be too lazy.  I'm feeling a little guilty about that.🤔

More wonderful photos!  You two look good in Miami.  I'm just saying...

Susan, what a shame about all the avalanches there!  It must be terrifying to be in that situation.

I hope your DH can find out what's ailing him.  Good luck with that!  Your comment about double trouble reminds me of my twin and I in 5th grade.  We had the same teacher and she jokingly said we were double trouble (but we really weren't).  😄

Thanks for the photo of Blue today.  Must be good and warm there.  DD's first dog, Gracie, used to sit on the stair landing just so she could see out the transom windows over the front door.  Wouldn't want a bird/rabbit/chipmunk/dog/cat or person to walk by their house!!

Watching the launches must be so much fun.  Hope the next scheduled one goes off alright.  Good luck at the back surgeon appointment Thursday.  I hope you get to go to Norway and Iceland!

Katie, my condolences on your cat Jerry crossing the Rainbow Bridge.  I'm glad the vet let you be there for him.  Many here have experienced this and know how you feel.😥

Melisa, hope the weather warms up and melts your ice.  Some snow melting wouldn't be a bad thing either.  Take care!

You have twin sisters Jacqui?  And unexpected ones, too.  Same with my parents.  Strange how twins weren't noticed for so many people back in the day.  I'm not sure I'd be happy not knowing in advance but that's the way it was.  I'm hoping Milo can turn Sadie around, and not the other way around.

I think you made the right decision to go ahead with the cruise.  They will let you know how everything goes.  And we will have him on our prayer list.  

Really great photos!

How frustrating working on this internet problem with your provider.  I hope someone can give you some advice.

Your new steam mop sounds really cool.  Nothing worse than tile (and grout) that's looking a little shabby.  Makes you want to clean everything doesn't it?  Sort of like when you get started power washing.  I think I agree with you about double the interruptions for DSIL but you can't tell a 50 year old what to do.  They have to make their own decisions and find out for themselves.🐕🐕  Tell us what you'll be looking for in a washer / dryer.  I'm sure we will have plenty of advice. 😁

Thanks for stopping by today to talk.  We welcome everyone.  Your polar bear and beluga whale photos are wonderful.  Amazing really.

Thank you Sandi for your nice words.

Pauline said what lovely people you and Terry @smitty34877are for saying such nice things about me and she asked me to pass on her thanks.

It is 08.14am and wet here in England.

I dropped Pauline off at work and I am sitting eating a McDonald's bacon bap.

I joined the 3am club last night.

Graham.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Safety Squirrel said:

I have been following the Daily before it was "the Daily".  I usually just read and do not comment.  I have never cruised on a Holland America cruise, instead mostly on Celebrity.  I read this page every day when I am home.   It is such a welcoming place and it is like knowing everyone of you.

Talking about polar bears - Churchill, Manitoba is noted for polar bears particulary in the winter.  Visitors come from all over the world.

Unfortunately it is very expensive to visit and many people living in Manitoba are not able to visit because of the cost.  However, this past July I took a seven day trip - two days on the railway both coming and going and three days in Churchill.  (you can also fly in)  Beluga whales were in season and we saw many of them.

However, on an excursion to the Prince of Wales fort which they are rebuilding, everyone had to stay in a safe place when a polar bear was sighted on the beach.  There are guards on four wheelers with guns to scare the bears away.  One of the people in my group was fortunate enough to get a picture of the polar bear before he was scared back into the water.

We did see a mother and her cub while on an other excursion; however, all tour guides keep people far away as they can run very fast.  So it was from a distance.  I hope you enjoy the pictures.

I also attached a picture of a beluga whale.  They are really difficult to get a picture as they do not breach like other whales - just come to the surface.image.jpeg.55c76092ca3feb8cc9f8b58e93a72e8b.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Amazing photos.

I extend a very warm welcome to you from England.

Graham.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Welcome to the Daily, and we hope you'll join us often.  Thanks for your information and pictures from Churchill.  About 30 years ago, DH took the train from Winnipeg to Churchill just before our Thanksgiving to see the polar bears, which he did at the local dump.

Welcome to the Daily.  How sweet of your grandchildren wanting to see you and give you a hug.  And it was nice your son to drive them over.  I bet he wanted to give you a hug too.

I'm glad the number of unaccounted is down to three, and I hope they are safe.

Sandi, I'd been thinking about getting a steam mop for a while.  Last week, I saw an article rating the ten best on Amazon.  The one I got was number 1, and also the least expensive.  We've just begun considering a new washer and dryer.  DH said something about getting ones like we have in Quartzsite, but they are 15 years old.  I know about what I want.

When I first started posting on the Daily, I took notes, but either I couldn't read my writing or remember what I meant.  Now, I multiquote, and then, make comments either using the blue bubble or multiquotes.  That eliminates going back and forth.

I hope the antibiotics help your DH.  I'm glad your appointment went well.

Lenda

That sounds like a good idea Lenda.

I tend to be impulsive and reply immediately to a post when I read it or use the + button if thanking several people.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Thank you both.  DH did see a doctor about the cough, and they did a chest x-ray and flonase etc.  When I returned home today from my Medicare Wellness Visit, he had heard back from the doctor and now has a prescription for antibiotics too.  I think that's what he needed, we shall see...

Sandi @StLouisCruiserswe were typing at the same time.  That's cute what your 5th grade teacher said about you and your twin.  I'm sure you really weren't trouble!  😄

Lenda, it's very quiet around here 🙂 DD told us she hasn't gotten much work done today (she works from home).  She sent a photo to us of both kittens on her, one draped around her shoulders, the other on her lap.  

My appointment went well, next up will be the Nephrologist on Thursday.  I have lots of questions for her.

@Safety SquirrelWelcome to the Daily!

I hope the antibiotics clear your husband's chest infection.

Graham.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Pauline said what lovely people you and Terry @smitty34877are for saying such nice things about me and she asked me to pass on her thanks.

Graham.

You and Pauline are both welcome.  We couldn't have found a nicer couple than the two of you.🙂 I'm sorry you joined the 3 a.m. club last night along with the rest of us.  I wish I had waited until 3 a.m. to wake up.  1 a.m. is ridiculous!  Off to the treadmill now and listening to the morning news on my bluetooth headphone.  Meanwhile, try to take a little nap today.  I'm going to try.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

You and Pauline are both welcome.  We couldn't have found a nicer couple than the two of you.🙂 I'm sorry you joined the 3 a.m. club last night along with the rest of us.  I wish I had waited until 3 a.m. to wake up.  1 a.m. is ridiculous!  Off to the treadmill now and listening to the morning news on my bluetooth headphone.  Meanwhile, try to take a little nap today.  I'm going to try.

Thank you Sandi you are a lovely person.

Pauline said exactly the same about going back home after I dropped her off at her office so I am going to try and get some sleep.

Graham 

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Safety Squirrel so glad you posted on Churchill.  Way back (I think 1994) I had a unique tour there.  At the time there was a "Tundra Buggy Lodge" , an elevated vehicle that went into the prime bear viewing area with an included dormitory.  While others were up at the crack of dawn to travel out to the tundra we slept a bit later and were still up viewing for a while as the bears were most active and then perhaps about 9 parked the lodge for a hearty breakfast, then a bit more viewing (although the bear's peak activity was past) and continued to relax and view throughout the day.  Sadly, I don't think the lodge is still in use.

Roy

• Like 14

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you Sandi you are a lovely person.

Pauline said exactly the same about going back home after I dropped her off at her office so I am going to try and get some sleep.

Graham 

Go for it!  You deserve it.😴

3 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

@Safety Squirrel so glad you posted on Churchill.  Way back (I think 1994) I had a unique tour there.  At the time there was a "Tundra Buggy Lodge" , an elevated vehicle that went into the prime bear viewing area with an included dormitory.  While others were up at the crack of dawn to travel out to the tundra we slept a bit later and were still up viewing for a while as the bears were most active and then perhaps about 9 parked the lodge for a hearty breakfast, then a bit more viewing (although the bear's peak activity was past) and continued to relax and view throughout the day.  Sadly, I don't think the lodge is still in use.

Roy

Sounds fascinating!  If you have any photos you can share we'd love to see them.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Graham.

I think it is comforting to know that so many folks are wide awake with me but seriously, I am sorry it has started with you. The world is so different at three am….

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Thank you @HAL Sailer for thinking of us.

We are in Honolulu. Was supposed to be an over night but today we were informed we would cancel Nawiliwili due to strong winds. So one more day in Honolulu.. 

Joy, the same thing happened to us in 2018 on the Westerdam.  It was better than sitting off Kauai in rough seas.  There's a lot to see and do in Honolulu.

5 hours ago, grapau27 said:

That sounds like a good idea Lenda.

I tend to be impulsive and reply immediately to a post when I read it or use the + button if thanking several people.

It was part of a transcontinental train trip from Toronto to Vancouver and back.  DH broke the trip up with the side trip to Churchill from Winnipeg.  Three of them who were there for one day, rented someone's truck to tour Churchiill.

Lenda

• Like 1