Nieuw Statendam crew death

don731

Captain has announced the tragic death on shore of a member of the entertainment team while docked yesterday in Curaçao.  No details were offered.  No news reports that we can find online.  

24 minutes ago, Crusin-Suzan said:

We are on this cruise and a crew member just told us it was a drowning accident!   Very windy yesterday and seas were very high!   RIP

How very sad.  So sorry to hear this.  

My Aunt B and I are on this cruise too. I learned about the sad news from another crew member crying in the elevator while riding down to disembark to go on our Curaçao tour. All I can say is that this is one first class cruise line. Not only have they publicly addressed this immediately with two announcements for the crew and the passengers, but they have invited us to a memorial on the world stage tomorrow morning at 8 am. Seriously kudos to our captain and the Holland America Nieuw Statendam team. I suspect and hope they will open up a voluntary contribution from passengers to help with his families funeral expenses. I believe they flew his body home this morning. I will never go on any other cruise line. Kudos for their transparency and compassion. God bless his family and may he rest in peace.

Edited by Amy Sue
Spelling error
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 3

28 minutes ago, Amy Sue said:

My Aunt B and I are on this cruise too. I learned about the sad news from another crew member crying in the elevator while riding down to disembark to go on our Curaçao tour. All I can say is that this is one first class cruise line. Not only have they publicly addressed this immediately with two announcements for the crew and the passengers, but they have invited us to a memorial on the world stage tomorrow morning at 8 am. Seriously kudos to our captain and the Holland America Nieuw Statendam team. I suspect and hope they will open up a voluntary contribution from passengers to help with his families funeral expenses. I believe they flew his body home this morning. I will never go on any other cruise line. Kudos for their transparency and compassion. God bless his family and may he rest in peace.

So very, very sad.

Is the Captain Noel O'Driscoll?  If so, he's a class act, one of the best so I wouldn't be surprised he would do this.  

• Like 3

It is my understanding it is Captain Eric Berchorst. He is absolutely wonderful. We went to both his Champagne toast for the HAL 150th anniversary on the World Stage and his Q&A. Great guy! No doubt his compassionate thoughtful announcement about the crew member touched everyone’s heart.

Edited by Amy Sue
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Amy Sue said:

It is my understanding it is Captain Eric Berchorst. He is absolutely wonderful. We went to both his Champagne toast for the HAL 150th anniversary on the World Stage and his Q&A. Great guy! No doubt his compassionate thoughtful announcement about the crew member touched everyone’s heart.

Eric Barhorst.

• Thanks 1

A family member is an entertainer. She just emailed about it. Was very sad. Her contract ends this week. On a slightly happier note, If you get a chance to hear Rachel in the Rock and Roll room, at the Q and A on Friday, you could ask her if she still plays paintball and roller hockey, and see her reaction. Nothing bad at all, it would likely crack her up and surprise her a little because she was very good at both back in the day and would know immediately who tipped you off. We were on this cruise  in Feb and the captain is a class act. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Diving and hit his head. The ambulance went by my aunts tour bus at insane speeds. They tried…captain was waiting to meet crew as they arrived too. Thought it was weird to see him down there then and found out later… unfortunate accident. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Amy Sue said:

HAL had the most beautiful memorial mass for the crew member this morning. They offered counseling resources to the crew. It was truly a lovely tribute.

I can't imagine there was a dry eye in the house.  

14 minutes ago, Amy Sue said:

HAL had the most beautiful memorial mass for the crew member this morning. They offered counseling resources to the crew. It was truly a lovely tribute.

So sorry to hear about this very sad death.  Prayers for him and his family 🙏🏻 RIP

It certainly sounds like HAL has stepped up in these dire circumstances.  So glad to hear about the counselling for the crew.  They must all be truly shattered 😔 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Amy Sue said:

Good for HAL to be so caring. This must be shattering for the other entertainers. They work so closely together and now they will have to go on without one of their group. Every time they rehearse or go on, they will feel that loss all over again.

• Like 1

On 3/2/2023 at 12:26 PM, Sandy U said:

I know from the Captain that the performers name is Fabio. Was he in the Blues Band or dance team? How awful for everyone 😔 I didn’t the mass, but I heard it was very nice.

Is there any more news on who the crew member was? We were just on the NS and wondered if perhaps it was one of the dancers that was interviewed at the coffee chat. So sad regardless of who it is. My prayers go out to the family.